Jerry’s Catch-All

Finding a Gleam

Procreate, iColorama, PastelloPro

ImageArt Ann is still up in the air about the usefulness of Pastello. She said elsewhere that she tried some sliders and didn’t see much difference. I’m not going to say that she is wrong; what’s useful to her is her own personal decision. But I find Pastello useful, and well beyond using their presets. Here’s a video from Jixipix that shows an image where they start from scratch, deleting the default pastel layer and adding two charcoal layers, one fill and one detail. Although the video uses the Mac version, it all applies to the iOS version.

There’s masking and smudging available. There are “detail ellipses” to add detail to area. I like using Conte layers to roughen the smooth pastel layers.

View attachment 157217

Here is the pre-Pastello version so you can see what was done to it.

View attachment 157218
At the moment I feel totally out of control! I’m still trying to understand how the layers all work. One minute I have one, the next minute 4 and turning the layers on and off doesn’t necessarily make a difference. I look forward to seeing the video above. I feel like I have to grapple with it a bit to get what I want out of it. At present all the results look a bit samey. I was expecting more variety of outputs.

I think I might be able to use some of the results as a blended layer with other app outputs as well as using the app as a ‘finishing off‘ product.

Finding a Gleam

Procreate, iColorama, PastelloPro

ImageArt Ann is still up in the air about the usefulness of Pastello. She said elsewhere that she tried some sliders and didn’t see much difference. I’m not going to say that she is wrong; what’s useful to her is her own personal decision. But I find Pastello useful, and well beyond using their presets. Here’s a video from Jixipix that shows an image where they start from scratch, deleting the default pastel layer and adding two charcoal layers, one fill and one detail. Although the video uses the Mac version, it all applies to the iOS version.

There’s masking and smudging available. There are “detail ellipses” to add detail to area. I like using Conte layers to roughen the smooth pastel layers.

View attachment 157217

Here is the pre-Pastello version so you can see what was done to it.

View attachment 157218
Bookmarked it! Thanks!

Now the House Is Like a Garage; Parts of Me about the Room

From “Man for All Seasons“ by Difford and Tilbrook of Squeeze.

Elasticam, Brushstroke, Graphite, Stackables, iColorama

69336A11-12EA-49E7-824C-A8572C6A691E.jpeg

My mother left us five years ago, but my wife is a pretty darn good mom too!

8E580475-5596-4EA6-9A2A-0787EDC47224.jpeg

I incorporated a project from Procreate for Beginners. It just reinforced that I can’t draw worth a flip, even if the brush is “streamlined”.

5A471766-308F-4050-B860-9A77A98D86B7.jpeg

It Is So Easy

I read a quote about vaccines that seems applicable, even though we don’t have a vaccine for COVID-19 yet.

“Someone may die, but it’s unlikely to be them or theirs; not their problem, not their fault. VPDs [vaccine preventable diseases] are very much a numbers game, and they can’t count beyond One.”

Wear masks, people. Show you care about someone other than yourself. (I’m sorry if that sounds harsh for this forum, but I went out to a store over the weekend and saw masks on myself, one of two cashiers, and one of 15-20 other customers.)

7321543D-0344-4642-8F00-24DE77E94BED.jpeg

It Is So Easy

I read a quote about vaccines that seems applicable, even though we don’t have a vaccine for COVID-19 yet.

“Someone may die, but it’s unlikely to be them or theirs; not their problem, not their fault. VPDs [vaccine preventable diseases] are very much a numbers game, and they can’t count beyond One.”

Wear masks, people. Show you care about someone other than yourself. (I’m sorry if that sounds harsh for this forum, but I went out to a store over the weekend and saw masks on myself, one of two cashiers, and one of 15-20 other customers.)

View attachment 157536
Wise words. If masks provide even a tiny amount of protection, that’s better than no protection at all. We’re on our own and must protect ourselves, is what I’ve discovered during this time. It’s no good relying on our governments because their agendas seem to have changed.

It Is So Easy

Mobitog is my primary source of international news, and I‘ve learned that in [all? Parts of?] UK (JillyG Jilly) and US (juryjone Jerry) mask-wearing is a thing that it isn’t here in Au.

younger Juliana is it different over East? I’m not seeing the masks and perhaps more significant I’m not hearing the community self-surveillance and pressure to wear them. Nothing from our beloved leaders, either. Is it a population density thing?

Back
Top Bottom