Jerry’s Catch-All

Blockhead

iColorama, Graphite, VectorQ, SuperimposeX

10CFB48D-DCA6-4307-AC28-D31209C17FC4.jpeg

Crossing the Park

BlackCam, iColorama

I enjoy the otherworldly look of infrared (IR) photography. True IR photography requires special film or a special camera sensor for digital. IR photgraphy on the iPhone is accomplished one of two ways: using an IR filter in front of the lens, which trashes the original colors and requires a conversion to monochrome or duotone; or a software solution that usually does the monochrome conversion as well.

Using software on an image that is captured normally allows you to merge the colors from the original photo back into the monochrome image whose tones have been manipulated to mimic IR. That’s what I’ve done here with the Infrared filter in BlackCam.

566F9989-6F8B-4CCA-BBA3-6A26B6C5A25B.jpeg

Crossing the Park

BlackCam, iColorama

I enjoy the otherworldly look of infrared (IR) photography. True IR photography requires special film or a special camera sensor for digital. IR photgraphy on the iPhone is accomplished one of two ways: using an IR filter in front of the lens, which trashes the original colors and requires a conversion to monochrome or duotone; or a software solution that usually does the monochrome conversion as well.

Using software on an image that is captured normally allows you to merge the colors from the original photo back into the monochrome image whose tones have been manipulated to mimic IR. That’s what I’ve done here with the Infrared filter in BlackCam.

View attachment 168619
I used Blackcam>infrared yesterday. I like the dense black you get when photographing red things. I need to experiment a bit more with it.

Oh dear. Drought?
No. In addition to the shade from the large oaks in our yard, the clay that passes for soil just doesn’t support grass that well. It’s not worth the yearly reseeding and work for me to maintain that small patch. But it really shows up in an IR image!

Qualities of an IR Photo

Photoshop for iPad, Snapseed, iColorama, Diptic

What do we expect from an IR photo? We expect bright white foliage and blue skies turned black, as well as some glow (which may or may not come from the longer shutter speed required for the dark filter).

2E8A6F3E-CD70-4AE2-AF3D-231A7DA3C057.jpeg

I’ve been experimenting with making my own filter to achieve some of the same effect on a regular photo as you would have with one shot with a 720nm or 760nm filter. I’ve gotten the best results so far with Photoshop for iPad, using a black and white adjustment layer. I move the green slider all the way to the right, making sure that I don’t blow out the highlights. I move the blue and cyan sliders to the left until I’m happy with how dark the sky is getting. With this image, I added a vignette and glow in Snapseed, then more glow in iColorama.

A4A3D0C6-D084-4B3D-91E9-2C2E385E13F2.png

So the Final Weekend Was Delayed for Over a Year!

Snapseed, SuperimposeX, Prisma, iColorama

Levene explains to Roma why they never finished their production of Glengarry Glen Ross last year. I join them as Aaronow a week from tonight.

B1298666-D3AE-421F-959A-F159951E53FC.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom