Jerry’s Catch-All

Waiting for a Cue

Snapseed, ArtCard, Glaze, iColorama

Taken backstage at Glengarry Glen Ross (running this weekend).

75212BD4-8FBD-420D-9901-EE5D5E482D6A.jpeg

I have a clip-on mount for 52mm screw-on filters. So I can use neutral density, warming, cooling, whatever filters I want.

View attachment 169851
Thats cool - I didnt realise you could get a clip on accessory for that diameter filters. I bought some cheap 33mm ND filters on ebay the other day and fashioned a clip out of wire for my phone. Needless to say, it was less than useless.

I have one of those I use for neutral density and a polarizer. Is there a IR available?
You just buy the correct size filter for your adaptor, Star. IR filters can be expensive, though, especially for the better quality ones. I bought one for my camera, cost about £20 for a low end 43mm one.

You just buy the correct size filter for your adaptor, Star. IR filters can be expensive, though, especially for the better quality ones. I bought one for my camera, cost about £20 for a low end 43mm one.
Mine is the same as Jerry’s 52mm. I guess I was expecting something a little more involved than a screw on filter. I had to buy IR film for my SLR.

Mine is the same as Jerry’s 52mm. I guess I was expecting something a little more involved than a screw on filter. I had to buy IR film for my SLR.
Back on July 21 I posted images on “Qualities of an IR Photo” - the greens turn white, the blues turn black. Back in the day, this wasn’t accomplished with a filter. The film picked up wavelengths of light that the eye couldn’t see.

With the advent of digital, people had to get their cameras modified with special sensors that would also “see” those wavelengths. Now, for true IR, you had to have not just special film, but a special camera, only good for IR. That’s not possible for phone cameras.

IR filters are an attempt to approximate what IR sensors do, using only visible light. A red filter blocks out blue, making it darker, and lets in more green light. Afterwards, you have to indulge in post-processing to do more work that the IR film or sensor would do.

Here’s my shot from yesterday, straight out of the camera with the filter.

9388D3B4-073F-4E23-A4F4-2354043AF740.jpeg

Back on July 21 I posted images on “Qualities of an IR Photo” - the greens turn white, the blues turn black. Back in the day, this wasn’t accomplished with a filter. The film picked up wavelengths of light that the eye couldn’t see.

With the advent of digital, people had to get their cameras modified with special sensors that would also “see” those wavelengths. Now, for true IR, you had to have not just special film, but a special camera, only good for IR. That’s not possible for phone cameras.

IR filters are an attempt to approximate what IR sensors do, using only visible light. A red filter blocks out blue, making it darker, and lets in more green light. Afterwards, you have to indulge in post-processing to do more work that the IR film or sensor would do.

Here’s my shot from yesterday, straight out of the camera with the filter.

View attachment 169875
TBH im surprised you get anything, as the filters are so inhibitive. mines really black. ill give it a go.

Back
Top Bottom