Jerry’s Catch-All

She Loves the Sunsets

WomboDream, VectorQ, iColorama

I used the WomboDream as a mask.

E039E591-CC17-4E70-9D47-874F662FA66E.jpeg

And It’s So Easy!

iColorama

My latest tutorial is on iColorama’s Toon.

B01CE8C7-5197-4991-A85C-FA526892252B.jpeg

Kind of like the ”conversations” that have taken place here. But you have been creative with WomboDream, and now it’s just a backdrop or coloured canvas for your wonderful artwork.
I think it would surprise many people (people who think that I stretch too much for sources) how much I’ve argued that AI text-to-image apps and websites are not your own creation and shouldn’t be presented or used as such. You have to work hard to make them your own. (I also think 90% of the results are ugly crap, and that any artist with even average talent can improve upon it. As I said somewhere, even a toddler can remember to put a head on a bird, or keep a person’s leg from merging into a boulder.)

As I’ve been advocating “portion, background, or inspiration”, I’ve seen a lot of artists grudgingly welcome using TTI apps in that way. I’ve also seen many publish entire “series” and spend a lot of time trying to get the AI to mimic standard techniques like depth of field using only words. There are even a few arrogant people that say that soon AI will be the only kind of art, and one who says “I am an artist, so everything I post is art”, even though his images come directly from WomboDream.

I think it would surprise many people (people who think that I stretch too much for sources) how much I’ve argued that AI text-to-image apps and websites are not your own creation and shouldn’t be presented or used as such. You have to work hard to make them your own. (I also think 90% of the results are ugly crap, and that any artist with even average talent can improve upon it. As I said somewhere, even a toddler can remember to put a head on a bird, or keep a person’s leg from merging into a boulder.)

As I’ve been advocating “portion, background, or inspiration”, I’ve seen a lot of artists grudgingly welcome using TTI apps in that way. I’ve also seen many publish entire “series” and spend a lot of time trying to get the AI to mimic standard techniques like depth of field using only words. There are even a few arrogant people that say that soon AI will be the only kind of art, and one who says “I am an artist, so everything I post is art”, even though his images come directly from WomboDream.
If AI art gets better, it may make a place for itself, though I suspect if it does become good enough to be recognized as art, it will also be recognized as the creation of the AI rather than of the person who seeded the AI with words or images.

In my first year of graduate school, at U Penn, I had a brief conversation with an earnest young man who told me that soon he would be able to create a computer as intelligent as a human. That was in 1970. :lmao:

If AI art gets better, it may make a place for itself, though I suspect if it does become good enough to be recognized as art, it will also be recognized as the creation of the AI rather than of the person who seeded the AI with words or images.

In my first year of graduate school, at U Penn, I had a brief conversation with an earnest young man who told me that soon he would be able to create a computer as intelligent as a human. That was in 1970. :lmao:
This is sample of an argument that I’ve encountered.

“Step away from 19th century ideas about art, if you can. Think of the AI as information that lived inside a server somewhere. Now, imagine the AI inside the server is an entire virtual universe. See yourself as a tourist inside this universe with a camera. When you create a prompt, you are moving to another place inside this universe. Now, look at capturing an image as taking a photograph with your camera.

Come back to the “real world” for a moment. You’ve photographed a sandy beach with ocean waves lapping at the shore. You exhibit the photo in a gallery and someone buys it for $500.

No one tells you that the photo isn’t yours because you didn’t create the beach and the ocean. Photography is considered to be a legitimate art form. But that wasn’t always the case. In the late 19th century, there was much debate whether photography was art. The early artistic photographers created staged photos that mimicked paintings. Later, photographers moved away from Pictorialism and began creating realistic images.

Let’s go back inside the AI server for a moment, camera in hand. When you capture an image inside this virtual universe, you also have a hand in influencing what happens in it. You can change the properties of objects, combine materials, and change the physical laws that govern the universe.

So if someone tells you that creating images with AI is merely taking something you didn’t create, hand them a paintbrush, kick them in the arse, and send them back home to 1853.”

I’ve had a quick messing around with WOMBODream. I‘ve had a mild interest in steampunk since I came across it in the US around 2011 and steampunk is one of the better effects I think. Also I am a big fan of Philip Reeve’s children’s series Mortal Engines (just seen that there are three prequels now although I read them 20 years ago now :eek:..)

I have taken two images here and made them more ‘presentable‘ in my mind - a bit like Meri Walker was saying. As you say, Jerry, it takes quite a lot to get a good image unless you come across a good set of words. Buildings often come out well as do some flowers. I just wish I could put my own images into Wombo.

In the first example I combined about 3 results and in the second one, I turned the warped face into an acceptable one and added the goggles.

1AC786F1-32E0-49AE-9CC9-07C209FE24C8.jpeg

Back
Top Bottom