Mobi365 JillyG’s Project 365 - 2021

What? Well, you’re in for a treat. And you can zoom in and out mid-double as it were. It’s fun seeing what comes out. I was inspired to try the Hipsta DE when a neighbour had an Open Studio weekend recently. His wife is a weaver and he is a abstract photographer ( https://davidtownshend.com/ ). Although he uses a Canon DSLR that, apparently, takes multiple exposure shots (who knew?), his images are reminiscent of yours Star. He prints them onto Fine Art paper, which makes SUCH a difference to the finished result. They have a finish like unglazed porcelain - just lovely.
Wow! And he doesn’t use apps for that????? I am humbled to be compared to him. If I remember correctly from my analog days, there was a button to hold down when winding to the next part of the film so that it didn’t advance. I think I’ll step out the back door and try the DE Hipsta right now!

I just bought a new printer that prints up to 11x14. My not so fine art paper came yesterday. (Cheap :rolleyes: )None the less, I was very pleased with the result. Sooooo much better than my other printer. Since I print from my iPad I have a few bugs to work out, but that will be part of the fun.

His wife is a weaver and he is a abstract photographer ( https://davidtownshend.com/ ). Although he uses a Canon DSLR that, apparently, takes multiple exposure shots (who knew?), his images are reminiscent of yours Star. He prints them onto Fine Art paper, which makes SUCH a difference to the finished result. They have a finish like unglazed porcelain - just lovely.
Very interesting images he has on his web site. Take a look at the collection titled "Life's Layers," all generated from one original image.

As for the paper... There are so many beautiful inkjet papers available these days. It's quite possible to go broke trying them all out, especially if you're printing the larger sizes. I haven't found a source for the Fotospeed paper he likes, though I do have some Etching and Smooth cotton papers that are very similar.

I just bought a new printer that prints up to 11x14. My not so fine art paper came yesterday. (Cheap :rolleyes: )None the less, I was very pleased with the result. Sooooo much better than my other printer. Since I print from my iPad I have a few bugs to work out, but that will be part of the fun.
Congrats! Printing your own images is quite addictive -- the problem is finding places to hang them as they start to pile up.

Most of the paper companies offer sample packs that have a couple of sheets each of different papers they offer. Since you're in the US, one line of papers I like quite a bit is Red River, high quality, a variety of surfaces, and not ruinously expensive.

Congrats! Printing your own images is quite addictive -- the problem is finding places to hang them as they start to pile up.

Most of the paper companies offer sample packs that have a couple of sheets each of different papers they offer. Since you're in the US, one line of papers I like quite a bit is Red River, high quality, a variety of surfaces, and not ruinously expensive.
I used to print out images all the time. I never went anywhere without my camera and took pictures all the time. I printed and gave especially good ones to people in them. Only up to 8x10. I’m not sure what my intentions are with these larger sized prints, but I do belong to a photo club where we print out smaller, 5x5 or 5x7 is my usual, copies of our images of the month for each other. I was having an awful time getting them to print right. Way too dark. First try, this Canon did an amazing job. I have to work out the sizing. The large print cut off a little much on the outside. I guess this is the “bleed” area. I imagine for the larger print you need to allow for more.

Wow! And he doesn’t use apps for that????? I am humbled to be compared to him. If I remember correctly from my analog days, there was a button to hold down when winding to the next part of the film so that it didn’t advance. I think I’ll step out the back door and try the DE Hipsta right now!

I don't think he said that. He mentions blending modes, for example.
He told me that sometimes he’ll use Lightroom or Photoshop, but usually he does the blending in-camera.

I used to print out images all the time. I never went anywhere without my camera and took pictures all the time. I printed and gave especially good ones to people in them. Only up to 8x10. I’m not sure what my intentions are with these larger sized prints, but I do belong to a photo club where we print out smaller, 5x5 or 5x7 is my usual, copies of our images of the month for each other. I was having an awful time getting them to print right. Way too dark. First try, this Canon did an amazing job. I have to work out the sizing. The large print cut off a little much on the outside. I guess this is the “bleed” area. I imagine for the larger print you need to allow for more.
Yeah, if you print from an iPad or iPhone, you end up having to use Apple's AirPrint driver, which gives you very little control over the print. It doesn't even have a Scale-to-Fit option as far as I can see, and it doesn't offer any way to control the bleed amount when you do a borderless print. I gave up on trying to print that way and just copy anything I want to print to my main computer.

Yeah, if you print from an iPad or iPhone, you end up having to use Apple's AirPrint driver, which gives you very little control over the print. It doesn't even have a Scale-to-Fit option as far as I can see, and it doesn't offer any way to control the bleed amount when you do a borderless print. I gave up on trying to print that way and just copy anything I want to print to my main computer.
I printed directly from Procreate. It cropped about a 1/4-1/2 inch off the edges. I also have Print Pro which does have a scale to fit option, however lacks an 11x14 option. I‘ll be playing with smaller paper for a while. I hate wasting printer paper.

I no longer own a computer.….

I printed directly from Procreate. It cropped about a 1/4-1/2 inch off the edges. I also have Print Pro which does have a scale to fit option, however lacks an 11x14 option. I‘ll be playing with smaller paper for a while. I hate wasting printer paper.

I no longer own a computer.….
Starzee - check this one out. It has 11x14 option. It’s a great app

Starzee - check this one out. It has 11x14 option. It’s a great app
:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I have that one, too!!! I didn’t try because my head hurt after Procreate and Print Pro. I have a look today! I have waaaay too many apps to keep track of!

EDIT: I just took a quick look and it has a lot of size options. I don’t like the portrait only interface, but I love that you can resize the image and it tells you the DPI. I test it out later to see if it plays well with the printer.

Thanks!

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: I have that one, too!!! I didn’t try because my head hurt after Procreate and Print Pro. I have a look today! I have waaaay too many apps to keep track of!

EDIT: I just took a quick look and it has a lot of size options. I don’t like the portrait only interface, but I love that you can resize the image and it tells you the DPI. I test it out later to see if it plays well with the printer.

Thanks!
The portrait interface is a nuisance, I agree. As of printer compatibility it works with the three printers we’ve tested with. Another great thing is that you can fill up a larger page with a number of smaller pics. Different pics or the same repeated. Great for making labels or cards

This will probably only be of use to UK Mobi members, but I’d love to win a Canon printer worth £1,000, so I might enter. It’s one entry per week and it must have been taken in the previous week to be eligible. sinnerjohn John, rizole Rizole, WOTANICUS Bill, jangray Jan, davegray Dave, richardcb Richard, ImageArt Ann, NickLeon Nick - I think you all should have a go! See the rules etc here: https://fotospeed.com/fsprint-monday
ooohh --ill take some of that comp action, thanks for the heads up Jilly!

No I can’t either, but I just assumed that they won’t send a printer overseas. Maybe I assumed incorrectly.
It says further down that they're a "Canon registered partner," so maybe they can have Canon ship it directly?

The Canon Pro-1000 is an outstanding printer, by all accounts, and £500 worth of paper will make an impressive stack. Also, it's not small (dimensions in inches, sorry):

Physical Dimensions

28.5 (W) x 17.1 (D) x 11.2 (H)

Weight

71.2 lbs.

Last edited:
It says further down that they're a "Canon registered partner," so maybe they can have Canon ship it directly?

The Canon Pro-1000 is an outstanding printer, by all accounts, and £500 worth of paper will make an impressive stack.
I’d be happy to win £10 off a stack of paper. :lol:

This will probably only be of use to UK Mobi members, but I’d love to win a Canon printer worth £1,000, so I might enter. It’s one entry per week and it must have been taken in the previous week to be eligible. sinnerjohn John, rizole Rizole, WOTANICUS Bill, jangray Jan, davegray Dave, richardcb Richard, ImageArt Ann, NickLeon Nick - I think you all should have a go! See the rules etc here: https://fotospeed.com/fsprint-monday
In a slightly lower key, there's a smartphone photo competition at the Wirral Festival of Firsts.

Back
Top Bottom