jpclicks Project 365-2022

Out at the Horse Farm
26/365

8F49D223-DFE8-446F-BDC9-A7BB8B8A7F91.jpeg

Out for the day touring around and came across this. No edits.

Not sure which version I like better...

Snow On Ice
27.1/365

View attachment 176015
Distressed FX and Snapseed.

Snow On Ice
27.2/365
View attachment 176018
Here I used MobileMonet. It was the first photo painting app I ever used. I also used a bit of Snapseed.
Ooo, I like both of them but maybe the first one more. Looks like an old painting.

Not sure which version I like better...

Snow On Ice
27.1/365

View attachment 176015
Distressed FX and Snapseed.

Snow On Ice
27.2/365
View attachment 176018
Here I used MobileMonet. It was the first photo painting app I ever used. I also used a bit of Snapseed.
Hmm.. I like the house in both versions -- in each case it suits the treatment of the rest. For me, the woods work a little better in the first version, but not by much. The sky's quite different, much more wintery in the second version, although I like the old linen postcard look of the sky in the first version (except for that heavy wrinkle at the very top). The snow is more appealing in the second version although I'd like to try it with a little more detail. (I captured both versions from the screen and tried layering them together, but nothing magical happened. :D )

Hmm.. I like the house in both versions -- in each case it suits the treatment of the rest. For me, the woods work a little better in the first version, but not by much. The sky's quite different, much more wintery in the second version, although I like the old linen postcard look of the sky in the first version (except for that heavy wrinkle at the very top). The snow is more appealing in the second version although I'd like to try it with a little more detail. (I captured both versions from the screen and tried layering them together, but nothing magical happened. :D )
Thanks so much for the feedback Ted. I didn’t care for the wrinkle at the top either but it came with that texture.

I see what you mean about the snow in the second one. I’ve only tried layering a few times. I should think of it more often. I know that’s how the amazing abstracts I see posted here are done.

Thanks so much for the feedback Ted. I didn’t care for the wrinkle at the top either but it came with that texture.

I see what you mean about the snow in the second one. I’ve only tried layering a few times. I should think of it more often. I know that’s how the amazing abstracts I see posted here are done.
DistressedFX Plus does have masking, though I'm not sure how well that would work with the wrinkle. With DFXPlus you can also rotate the overlay and change its blend mode, which might work in this case. You could use a clone tool (as in SuperimposeX or Leonardo or TouchRetouch) to remove it, or maybe try a healing tool (Snapseed or TouchRetouch). Lots of fiddling you can do if you're in the mood.

For me, the easy way to get into layers was to take a couple of the (many) variations I tend to produce, pull them into a layering app, and then play with the opacity and/or blend mode to see how they look combined.

DistressedFX Plus does have masking, though I'm not sure how well that would work with the wrinkle. With DFXPlus you can also rotate the overlay and change its blend mode, which might work in this case. You could use a clone tool (as in SuperimposeX or Leonardo or TouchRetouch) to remove it, or maybe try a healing tool (Snapseed or TouchRetouch). Lots of fiddling you can do if you're in the mood.

For me, the easy way to get into layers was to take a couple of the (many) variations I tend to produce, pull them into a layering app, and then play with the opacity and/or blend mode to see how they look combined.
Never thought of TouchRetouch. Great idea.

In order to “zoom in” past the wrinkles, I’ve saved off the textures and will blend them in another app, like iColorama. Now I may go in heal the wrinkles on those saved textures. Hmmmm.

Never thought of TouchRetouch. Great idea.
Time to get your nominations in for the January Image of the Month. You can nominate four images from other people (not your own). You don't need to explain why :D, just your faves. Think of it as a monthly people's choice award. (Once the month is over, we all vote for our top three, and believe me, it's hard every month.)

One could just crop that wrinkle off.

In order to “zoom in” past the wrinkles, I’ve saved off the textures and will blend them in another app, like iColorama. Now I may go in heal the wrinkles on those saved textures. Hmmmm.
I like the idea. I’m not exactly sure how but I’ll try it. I may have a question or two for you Jerry.

Would iColorama work as a layering program?

I like the idea. I’m not exactly sure how but I’ll try it. I may have a question or two for you Jerry.

Would iColorama work as a layering program?
Sure, that'll work in this case. The drawback with iColorama is that you have to merge each layer as you add it, so you can't go back and change your mind about positioning and such, and you can't have multiple layers at once to enable infinite fiddling. But for blending two images together, iC works fine and offers more blend modes than some apps.

Sure, that'll work in this case. The drawback with iColorama is that you have to merge each layer as you add it, so you can't go back and change your mind about positioning and such, and you can't have multiple layers at once to enable infinite fiddling. But for blending two images together, iC works fine and offers more blend modes than some apps.
What app would you suggest? Procreate?

Last edited:
What app would you suggest?
The app I use most of the time for layering, masking, and blending is Leonardo, but it hasn't been updated in 3 years, so even though it still works, its days are numbered and it wouldn't be a good buy. Its successor is Superimpose X, which does the same layer/mask/blend things but is laid out a bit differently.

In SX, I set the pref to "use old interface" which gives me tool layouts and looks that are closer to Leonardo and so more familiar.

But other people probably have their own favorites. Starzee? zenjenny? JillyG? juryjone? ImageArt?

Last edited:
The app I use most of the time for layering, masking, and blending is Leonardo, but it hasn't been updated in 3 years, so even though it still works, its days are numbered and it wouldn't be a good buy. Its successor is Superimpose X, which does the same layer/mask/blend things but is laid out a bit differently.

In SX, I set the pref to "use old interface" which gives me tool layouts and looks that are closer to Leonardo and so more familiar.

But other people probably have their own favorites. Starzee? zenjenny? JillyG? juryjone? ImageArt?

I like SketchClub‘s multiple layers and multiple undo fx.
Not better or worse than Procreate and iColorama, just different. I think SC is one of the AppStore‘s best-kept secrets. Especially since its most recent update, well worth a look.

I always use SuperimposeX for masking. It has great variety of masking tools and ways to tweak masks. For unclear reasons I do most of my layering in iC or procreate, the latter when I want to work with multiple layers.

Back
Top Bottom