• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Mobi365 juryjone’s Project 365 - 2019 - Words and Images

juryjone

MobiLurver
Real Name
Jerry Jobe
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
I’ve been a bit of a maverick around here with my “messing around” 365s. No everyday capture; as a matter of fact, no capture at all on the weekends, when I posted abstracts. It has been relatively easy for me to do, and why should there be any pressure when I’m just messing around?

However, it’s time to extend myself a bit after two years of messing around. I *think* the only way I’m really going to improve is to be more purposeful. Therefore, I’m going to give myself an ever-changing theme of combining bits of words with my images. I’ve always taken care with my titles, but now I’m going to go to literature, lyrics, and my own words for inspiration. Those words will largely be incorporated in the images, but sometimes will be reflected in the title or in a “sidecar” along with the image.

I said in the 2018 365 that I would require a “judge’s ruling” on this 365. That’s because sometimes, when I need part of a collage that I don’t have to create the image I want, I go to Pixabay or Unsplash. I always do all of my work on a mobile device, but parts may be sourced elsewhere. It’s really the only way I can see making it through an entire year. If that is unacceptable, perhaps I could skip those images here and only post them on FB and Instagram. (By the way, I use the tag #mobitog365 on IG, but as with all tags, it’s not exclusive to me, if others want to use it.)

Anyway, this is all very serious, which is not my usual way. Let’s get started!

juryjone

MobiLurver
Real Name
Jerry Jobe
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
January 1

The Pension Grillparzer

SuperimposeX, iColorama

I recently reread The World According to Garp by John Irving. The Pension Grillparzer, the story within the novel, is set in Vienna and talks of the bear on his unicycle, the man who walks on his hands, and the man who tells dreams.

“He was very talented on the unicycle, you could tell, but you could also tell that the unicycle was a dead end for him. You could see that the bear felt he could go no further with unicycling.”

F3805724-FBE2-4DCE-B046-A2665416118E.jpeg

Venomator

MobiAdmin
Admin
Site Staff
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone X
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’ve been a bit of a maverick around here with my “messing around” 365s. No everyday capture; as a matter of fact, no capture at all on the weekends, when I posted abstracts. It has been relatively easy for me to do, and why should there be any pressure when I’m just messing around?

However, it’s time to extend myself a bit after two years of messing around. I *think* the only way I’m really going to improve is to be more purposeful. Therefore, I’m going to give myself an ever-changing theme of combining bits of words with my images. I’ve always taken care with my titles, but now I’m going to go to literature, lyrics, and my own words for inspiration. Those words will largely be incorporated in the images, but sometimes will be reflected in the title or in a “sidecar” along with the image.

I said in the 2018 365 that I would require a “judge’s ruling” on this 365. That’s because sometimes, when I need part of a collage that I don’t have to create the image I want, I go to Pixabay or Unsplash. I always do all of my work on a mobile device, but parts may be sourced elsewhere. It’s really the only way I can see making it through an entire year. If that is unacceptable, perhaps I could skip those images here and only post them on FB and Instagram. (By the way, I use the tag #mobitog365 on IG, but as with all tags, it’s not exclusive to me, if others want to use it.)

That’s what we like to hear Jerry, challenging oneself within a MobiTog Challenge, especially for 365 days through the year, awesome... :notworthy:

And, as for the borrowed bits, as for other such compilation iMagery, we only ask that the major parts of the iMage are mobile sourced and any ‘other’ parts are used sparingly rather than making up the main parts... :thumbs:

We would love to have a complete set for your 365 Project and I am sure you can make that work for all our enjoyment and edification sire... :D

juryjone

MobiLurver
Real Name
Jerry Jobe
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
And, as for the borrowed bits, as for other such compilation iMagery, we only ask that the major parts of the iMage are mobile sourced and any ‘other’ parts are used sparingly rather than making up the main parts... :thumbs:
Actually, today’s image violates that, but is the only one of the ten or 11 I’ve created so far that violates it. It’s not something I like to do, or do to take the easy way out. It’s just that I really wanted to illustrate that story, and I haven’t been to Vienna and don’t encounter many hand-walking people or bears. :D

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
January 1

The Pension Grillparzer

SuperimposeX, iColorama

I recently reread The World According to Garp by John Irving. The Pension Grillparzer, the story within the novel, is set in Vienna and talks of the bear on his unicycle, the man who walks on his hands, and the man who tells dreams.

“He was very talented on the unicycle, you could tell, but you could also tell that the unicycle was a dead end for him. You could see that the bear felt he could go no further with unicycling.”

View attachment 118695
I need to re-read that and the Owen Meany book, John Irving can be hilarious and moving on the same page. Nice start to the year btw.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365

I’ve always found your work interesting and inspiring but I had not considered the use of outside images to accomplish them. I’m wondering about the need to incorporate non-mobile images in mobile projects. I guess we all face the Mobi challenge in different ways. I started out being barely convinced that going all-mobile was important but gradually assimilated it into my outlook. Personally, when I make a composite image I want all the pieces to be my own. To go to all the effort of creating something and not be able to say it’s all my own work would take away my feeling of accomplishment. On top of that, I’ve got at least 150,000 non-mobile image of my own making but I don’t use any of them for my Mobi work.

Making such a decisive break between my mobile and non-mobile image work has caused me to be more demanding about what I expect to get out of my iPhone. It isn’t reasonable to expect much from such a tiny sensor in a camera tacked onto a cell phone. I don’t want to downgrade my approach to photography to the casual snapshot level. OK then, if I’m going to give up using good cameras for Mobi then let’s see what can be done to get the best possible results from an iPhone. That’s the challenge I have taken on. The first thing is to treat it as a real camera. Technology is advancing and I want to explore anything that can help me make better quality images. For instance, the difference between jpeg and RAW is too big to ignore so I use DNG whenever possible.

Here’s an idea I want to share with you to see if it make sense to you. Years ago, back in the film days in fact, I used to make a lot of slide shows, often to be presented at my local national park. I was also assisting park interpreters with their shows. I/we faced a fundamental difficulty in the planning stage of the show. If I/we sat with pencil and paper and imagined what story I wanted to tell I always found I imagined myself into a corner in that the story relied on images I did not have and this left holes in the visuals that weakened the story. It frustrated me that in spite of having untold thousands of images to work with I didn’t have the specific ones I needed. Why go searching for images I didn’t have when I already had plenty of excellent images on hand. So I reversed my way of imagining a presentation. Instead of getting committed to a story for which I had no supporting visuals I started by first looking at the available visuals to see what stories could be told. Now I as playing to my strengths. I learned to keep my initial concept very open until I had a chance to see what supporting visuals I had to work with. I continue to follow that method when making my own composite images. If I really need a particular image to make something work I go out and shoot it.

As time has gone on I find I have struggled with different aspects of the Mobi challenge. I even feel guilty relying on my iPad for editing photos since I can do so many things that cannot be done on my iPhone. And not everyone has an iPad. It seems to tilt the playing field unfairly. That is something I have had to rationalize since there are things I’m trying to do with mobile images that require apps that only work on iPad. For instance to be able to do focus stacking and HDR with DNG files. Also, I find I can’t see the small screen clearly enough for careful retouching or masking. For a while I ran off-course with some of my editing on my iPhone. I was making images that I thought looked good but later when I saw them on a bigger screen I was horrified to see they looked overcooked, or over-sharpened. It was a hard lesson that still pains me when I think of all the images I made that I can’t bear to look at anymore. Lost time.

For a while I also sometimes viewed MobiTog on my computer and wrote responses to posts. It grated on my over time. The whole point of MobiTog was that it represented an entirely mobile workflow and outlook, essentially the future of personal computing and imaging. I should be able to do it entirely mobile. Lots of mobile users don’t even have a computer. I have abandoned my computer, too, now that I have an iPad. The one remaining place that bugs me is that I still rely on my computer to back up and catalogue my images. I realize I could to things with my mobile images on my computer that go beyond what I can do on mobile but once I decided to draw the line I’ve stuck to it.

lisamjw

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
January 1

The Pension Grillparzer

SuperimposeX, iColorama

View attachment 118695
I love what you’re planning for this year!

That’s what we like to hear Jerry, challenging oneself within a MobiTog Challenge, especially for 365 days through the year, awesome... :notworthy:

We would love to have a complete set for your 365 Project and I am sure you can make that work for all our enjoyment and edification sire... :D
Thank you for the explanation/clarification.

juryjone

MobiLurver
Real Name
Jerry Jobe
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Here’s an idea I want to share with you to see if it make sense to you. Years ago, back in the film days in fact, I used to make a lot of slide shows, often to be presented at my local national park. I was also assisting park interpreters with their shows. I/we faced a fundamental difficulty in the planning stage of the show. If I/we sat with pencil and paper and imagined what story I wanted to tell I always found I imagined myself into a corner in that the story relied on images I did not have and this left holes in the visuals that weakened the story. It frustrated me that in spite of having untold thousands of images to work with I didn’t have the specific ones I needed. Why go searching for images I didn’t have when I already had plenty of excellent images on hand. So I reversed my way of imagining a presentation. Instead of getting committed to a story for which I had no supporting visuals I started by first looking at the available visuals to see what stories could be told. Now I as playing to my strengths. I learned to keep my initial concept very open until I had a chance to see what supporting visuals I had to work with. I continue to follow that method when making my own composite images. If I really need a particular image to make something work I go out and shoot it.
I agree that working from my own images, with augmentation of shapes, textures, and elements provided by mobile apps and not public domain image services such as Pixabay and Unsplash are the way to go. I think you will find that my posts over the next dozen days reflect that. I do know, however, that my strengths lie not in capturing a moment in street photography, or an expression in portrait, or the golden hour in landscape. My strengths seem to lie in bending an app to create the look I like.

Even though my inspiration stems mainly from the images I capture, I know that once in a while I need to try getting beyond what I personally experience. I deliberately chose the Garp image as the start to my 365 to get that issue out in the open.

A 365 is a deeply personal project. For two years I’ve been “messing around”, and I just decided that I needed to get outside of my own head for a while. For the most part, that can be accomplished with others’ words and my images. Occasionally, it will require someone else’s image bent to my needs. I’m comfortable with doing that, since the results are purely in the service of my 365 and not intended to leave that confined space. However, I know that the strictures of this forum are clear-cut and there for a reason, which is why I offer to keep those infrequent images to myself, and not post them here.

Ryn S

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ryn S
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Wow. I guess I need to pay more attention to what I’m doing. Last year, my resolution was to stop being a nit picker and perfectionist. I too easily get caught up in being a purist which I found to be very limiting. So, last year I created watercolor images of leaves and flower petals that I then photographed with my iPhone and turned those images into brushes in ProCreate...so now, I question if using those brushes in a composite image is inline with all mobile, or not?

I may have even posted images here that had pieces of work I downloaded from Pixabay. Once I get inspired and start working on a collage I’m not always cognizant of where the pieces come from. So, if I failed the mobi creed, I apologize and I promise to try harder to observe “all mobile”. I do, however, need to know if my brushes are acceptable use.

lisamjw

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Wow. I guess I need to pay more attention to what I’m doing. Last year, my resolution was to stop being a nit picker and perfectionist. I too easily get caught up in being a purist which I found to be very limiting. So, last year I created watercolor images of leaves and flower petals that I then photographed with my iPhone and turned those images into brushes in ProCreate...so now, I question if using those brushes in a composite image is inline with all mobile, or not?

I may have even posted images here that had pieces of work I downloaded from Pixabay. Once I get inspired and start working on a collage I’m not always cognizant of where the pieces come from. So, if I failed the mobi creed, I apologize and I promise to try harder to observe “all mobile”. I do, however, need to know if my brushes are acceptable use.
In my opinion your brushes are acceptable. If we start questioning ourselves too much we’ll take the fun out of it all.

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
January 1

The Pension Grillparzer

SuperimposeX, iColorama

View attachment 118695
Before I read the text I knew it’s Garp! Even before I read the words on the picture! I love that book! And also other of Irving’s works. Hotel New Hampshire and the cider house rules … but Garp was always my favourite! :inlove: