• > UPDATE < Thanks to all who've so far DONATED helping us update MobiTog, keep 'em coming please! AND A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog is open for business with some minor stuff on-going... :)

Mobi52 Larry’s Project 52 - 2019

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
1 January 2019

Happy New Years!

Been cold here that couple days, yesterday morning was -28 but by friday we are supposed to be back up to +2 or 3.
Todays Sunrise around 8:50am
4E2E1057-46C4-42D4-9B2B-2556F0895F62.jpeg

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
2 January 2019

Well it got to +2 today, tomorrow is supposed to be around the same and still says +3 for Saturday after that cooling to highs around -5 or -6 which fr this time of year...
There are short days here in winter, shortest day is 21Dec with 8hr 27min between sunrise and sunset so yes can got to work in the dark and go home after work in the dark :) Longest day is 20hrs 27min so go to bed and still light.

This mornings sunrise
F2C58F4C-59CF-498A-97E6-1AFF62DD73C0.jpeg

Going to be a busier weekend than we thought. Back in November I had mentioned the passing of Bruce Boles. Since then I had tried to keep in touch with Arlene but never could get her on the phone and her son Neil told me she was away far more. This morning she phoned and is coming to Regina on Friday and will be here a couple days and her sister Bonnie that lives in Virden Manitoba is going to come here as well and then Katina is going to be here Saturday sometime so a couple more people so Ukrainian Christmas supper will be maybe a dozen or so people for supper. May have to go get a bigger turkey and more Keilbasa (Garlic sausage). Guess we will see. At least we look forward to seeing Arlene and Bonnie unlike some others that thankfully will not be here...

lisamjw

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
2 January 2019

Well it got to +2 today, tomorrow is supposed to be around the same and still says +3 for Saturday after that cooling to highs around -5 or -6 which fr this time of year...
There are short days here in winter, shortest day is 21Dec with 8hr 27min between sunrise and sunset so yes can got to work in the dark and go home after work in the dark :) Longest day is 20hrs 27min so go to bed and still light.

This mornings sunrise
View attachment 118728

Going to be a busier weekend than we thought. Back in November I had mentioned the passing of Bruce Boles. Since then I had tried to keep in touch with Arlene but never could get her on the phone and her son Neil told me she was away far more. This morning she phoned and is coming to Regina on Friday and will be here a couple days and her sister Bonnie that lives in Virden Manitoba is going to come here as well and then Katina is going to be here Saturday sometime so a couple more people so Ukrainian Christmas supper will be maybe a dozen or so people for supper. May have to go get a bigger turkey and more Keilbasa (Garlic sausage). Guess we will see. At least we look forward to seeing Arlene and Bonnie unlike some others that thankfully will not be here...
Have a great time!!

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
2 January 2019

This mornings sunrise
View attachment 118728

That sounds like it’s going to be a party. I wonder to whom you could be alluding when you talk about “others”?:rolleyes:

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
8 January 2019

Well, everyone got here and so far a great visit with everyone. Arlene and Bonny Got here Friday night around 7:30pm and Arlene is still having a hard time adjusting but seemed much better on Saturday and Sunday. Doesn’t eat a lot, basically just nibbles which I am concerned about. Bonnie is doing good and really helps having her with Arlene. They headed back home after supper on Sunday.

Katina got here Saturday night and we have been having a really good visit with her. She has to be back to Calgary on Friday so will head back Thursday, like always its going to too short a visit.

Supper on Sunday was good, had us spread between the diningroom and livingroom.

851CB6DA-00C4-4B68-904F-AABC73B7721B.jpeg

68426AA9-62AB-43D1-987B-99E35DCCED26.jpeg

3F265509-6361-4C64-A7AF-BC7B52CEB19D.jpeg

Karen trying one of Katina’s hats...

Cool here again, Sunday temps dropped all day and yesterday Stayed cool today is around -16 but with windchill feels like -30, but Thursday supposed to be back up to -3 but like always will see.

Last edited:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
8 January 2019

Well, everyone got here and so far a great visit with everyone. Arlene and Bonny Got here Friday night around 7:30pm and Arlene is still having a hard time adjusting but seemed much better on Saturday and Sunday. Doesn’t eat a lot, basically just nibbles which I am concerned about. Bonnie is doing good and really helps having her with Arlene. They headed back home after supper on Sunday.

Katina got here Saturday night and we have been having a really good visit with her. She has to be back to Calgary on Friday so will head back Thursday, like always its going to too short a visit.

View attachment 118968

View attachment 118969

View attachment 118967

Cool here again, Sunday temps dropped all day and yesterday Stayed cool today is around -16 but with windchill feels like -30, but Thursday supposed to be back up to -3 but like always will see.
Looks like a fun time was had by all!

unlike some others that thankfully will not be here...
Yay!!!

lisamjw

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
8 January 2019

View attachment 118968

View attachment 118969

View attachment 118967

Looks like y’all are having a great time! I love the picture of Karen!

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
9 January 2018

Steven and Janelle were over for supper tonight, they brought Greek food from one of the places here in town. Pretty good food and had a really goo visit with them and Karen and I.

Kids gave us a few things for Christmas, a Ring 2 video doorbell and an Amazon Echo Dot and a couple of smart plugs. Fun getting things to work. The Echo Dot will also control the Fire TV Stick that we have so call just tell it what TV Show to watch or right now which light I want turned on. I like being able to turn my bedroom light on from the other end of the house. We will likely get some smart switches, It would be nice to be able to turn the outside light on or off from upstairs and same for the garage lights without having to go out to the garage.
The Ring 2 video doorbell is meant to be connected to the old style doorbell that used to be wired in. They have a version that works with just batteries but they are only good to around around -10c or so they say. Our old doorbell went away when we bought the house and changed the front door so I ordered a power supply for it which should be here next week sometime. And because it is then plugged in should work no matter what the temp is.

14A3137B-BB40-44C9-A235-CC3AF75D9EE8.jpeg

C52BA343-E6CD-44DB-98F1-43D5FB63D95C.jpeg

lisamjw

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
9 January 2018

Steven and Janelle were over for supper tonight, they brought Greek food from one of the places here in town. Pretty good food and had a really goo visit with them and Karen and I.

Kids gave us a few things for Christmas, a Ring 2 video doorbell and an Amazon Echo Dot and a couple of smart plugs. Fun getting things to work. The Echo Dot will also control the Fire TV Stick that we have so call just tell it what TV Show to watch or right now which light I want turned on. I like being able to turn my bedroom light on from the other end of the house. We will likely get some smart switches, It would be nice to be able to turn the outside light on or off from upstairs and same for the garage lights without having to go out to the garage.
The Ring 2 video doorbell is meant to be connected to the old style doorbell that used to be wired in. They have a version that works with just batteries but they are only good to around around -10c or so they say. Our old doorbell went away when we bought the house and changed the front door so I ordered a power supply for it which should be here next week sometime. And because it is then plugged in should work no matter what the temp is.

View attachment 119026

View attachment 119027
Lovely photo of the family! We love our Echo Dot. We use it a lot to create shopping lists. Alexa adds what we tell her then it all appears in the app for easy use at the store.

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Lots of uses for Amazon Dot from what I can see, a lot I will likely not use much but don’t know yet.
Katina headed home around 11:30 this morning so should be home around 7.
A while back we were having some issues with stuff plugged in and Karen would put stuff in the microwave and it would blow the breaker. It was getting annoying so Karen thought something was wrong with ours and bought one off Amazon, Cost her just over $100. Anyways in the wait till it got here I tried putting it on a powerbar so it should blow at the powerbar instead of downstairs and it did a few times. Then I got thinking that the powerbar we used was a cheap one from Ikea so I found a another that has a much heavier wire and more plugs, not that we needed them but. In an case plugged that in and no more issues with the microwave so when the one Karen bought got here I put it up where the old microwave was and worked good but since the other worked checked about sending it back. Amazon said no problem the would refund it but we had to pay shipping back and to return by Canada post was almost as much as it cost so not much sense to send it back so put it back in the box and thats been in a corner ever since. Katina was having problems with hers at home so we gave her this one so she took it today. Said she would call when she got home, then has to unpack and take the car back to Linda

lisamjw

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Lots of uses for Amazon Dot from what I can see, a lot I will likely not use much but don’t know yet.
Katina headed home around 11:30 this morning so should be home around 7.
A while back we were having some issues with stuff plugged in and Karen would put stuff in the microwave and it would blow the breaker. It was getting annoying so Karen thought something was wrong with ours and bought one off Amazon, Cost her just over $100. Anyways in the wait till it got here I tried putting it on a powerbar so it should blow at the powerbar instead of downstairs and it did a few times. Then I got thinking that the powerbar we used was a cheap one from Ikea so I found a another that has a much heavier wire and more plugs, not that we needed them but. In an case plugged that in and no more issues with the microwave so when the one Karen bought got here I put it up where the old microwave was and worked good but since the other worked checked about sending it back. Amazon said no problem the would refund it but we had to pay shipping back and to return by Canada post was almost as much as it cost so not much sense to send it back so put it back in the box and thats been in a corner ever since. Katina was having problems with hers at home so we gave her this one so she took it today. Said she would call when she got home, then has to unpack and take the car back to Linda
Sounds like y’all had a great visit. Glad you worked out the microwave situation!

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Thursday night around 7pm got an email from Henry asking where Katina was. I thought a bit snooty and then got another very short terse one from Henry about a half hour later saying she had been by. Not sure what the problem was with him but I never answered the first or second email (didn’t know it was there until Friday :)) oh well.
She had a good drive back and as she said she would, she went home and unloaded then went back to L+H’s
Said her car didn’t want to start but eventually did, drove down to put gas in it and wouldn’t start again but some guy gave her a boost and got it going again. She also said two tires were low. On Friday she took it to a tire shop and got a new battery and they said bead was leaking on two tires so fixed that which was easy, let air out and push tire in off the bead and they have a sealant to seal it. So now it starts again and tires should be good. Would like her to get a better car so if she wanted she could drive out here without having to borrow anything from L+H

lisamjw

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Thursday night around 7pm got an email from Henry asking where Katina was. I thought a bit snooty and then got another very short terse one from Henry about a half hour later saying she had been by. Not sure what the problem was with him but I never answered the first or second email (didn’t know it was there until Friday :)) oh well.
She had a good drive back and as she said she would, she went home and unloaded then went back to L+H’s
Said her car didn’t want to start but eventually did, drove down to put gas in it and wouldn’t start again but some guy gave her a boost and got it going again. She also said two tires were low. On Friday she took it to a tire shop and got a new battery and they said bead was leaking on two tires so fixed that which was easy, let air out and push tire in off the bead and they have a sealant to seal it. So now it starts again and tires should be good. Would like her to get a better car so if she wanted she could drive out here without having to borrow anything from L+H
I’m sure borrowing anything from them is challenging! Glad to hear Katina got home safely.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
9 January 2018

View attachment 119026

View attachment 119027
I’ll be interested to know how the Ring 2 video doorbell works. Been wanting to get something similar but reviews have been mixed.

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
I’ll be interested to know how the Ring 2 video doorbell works. Been wanting to get something similar but reviews have been mixed.
Well it does work...
The Ring 2 Pro needs power and in most cases people se the existing doorbell wire to feed power to it. In our case when we bought the house there was a non functioning doorbell and the sill of the door was rotted away so one of the first things I did was take out the old door and put in a new one and fixed the rotted section of floor. Because the doorbell wasn’t working I either pushed the wires inside the wall or cut them off, This happened 2 years ago so can’t clearly recall what I did. In any case even if the wires were still in they wouldn’t be connected to a chime for power anyways because the chime was taken out as well. So I ordered a power supply for it and that got here on Friday. Power supply I needed had to have a long cord on it so the one I bought has a 6m or 20’ long wire which is a lot more then I need but thats fine. What I will have to do is figure our where I am going to put it and drill a hole through the wall, actually I want to mount it on the brickmold for the door and then will should come through between the frame and the wall framing then drill a hole through the landing floor and there is in the one room downstairs a plug only a few inches away from the storage under the landing so I can plug it in there then the wire will be run under the trim for the door so you will not see it.
Anyways yes I had to try it so got their app and spent the next 1/2 hr getting completely frustrated as the setup would get so far and would give me two choices, neither of which worked, ie tapping either didn’t do anything so back out and try again and same thing. In the end I called their support line and after about 15 minutes wait finally talked to someone and he basically had me try a few thing but again got so far in the setup and same two choices and nothing. Tried deleting the Ring app and start over again and same thing then I got wondering if the ipad needed to be in portrait rather then landscape and the minute I turned the ipad it would accept either choice. Basically it got to the point in setup where you either turn power off for the doorbell so you can hook it up or it’s already done. In any case once I got it to accept that it was installed (ie had power) the rest went fast enough.
Once it was connected it was interesting to see the lag between something happening and how fast the video changed, lag is around 3 secnds when I tried it. Their app is not really rated very good, people had complains mostly about lag and some were saying its slow enough that someone could ring the bell and by the time they got notified and got the app started that people had left. The other complaint was that it loses the connection between the app and the device and I can see that being a royal pain because you have to hit the rest on the ring, problem is that the ring comes with four different faceplates in different colours and they snap on and then there is a screw on the bottom that you would have to take out And take the cover off to press the reset. With the Ring you get the first month of the subscription included which depending on how long you want the video kept it has different prices, shortest will keep video for 2 months and casts $3 per month which is just retentions of the video feed, or $10 per month will get you human that looks at any alarms . If you decide to not pay anything then you have no video retention at all or simply the live feed only. But at this point it does work and all we were after is live video in any case. I think the second is good for if you install door and window sensors etc more like a monitored security setup. The last few days have been cold and windy, highs around -16-18 and lowes closer to -30 and with the wind we have had a couple days where windchill was close to -45 and far to cold to have the door open or to install the thing. Forcast for later this coming week is close to freezing for the high so maybe I could do it then but will see. Even -10 without a wind I could deal with but I am getting to old for this -45 so I stay inside...

Hope that zenjenny is not being roasted alive down under they have had some parts down there close to +50
Also hope that GroovyGouvy is not buried in snow as I have heard that parts of Germany have been getting a lot. Saw one report that said Austria or part of had close to 3m (10’)
We have been getting a little snow here but hard to tell how much because its blowing around but I think in the past couple days maybe a couple of inches so nothing like Austria. In any case I think Rollie from a couple houses away must be really bored as he was out with the snowblower three times today and cleared ours. Steven was going to come by tomorrow as snow is supposed to stop over night and get our snow blower out but told him Rollie had already don it...multiple times but he will likely stop here anyways.

Sorry for the length of this....

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Well it does work...
The Ring 2 Pro needs power and in most cases people se the existing doorbell wire to feed power to it. In our case when we bought the house there was a non functioning doorbell and the sill of the door was rotted away so one of the first things I did was take out the old door and put in a new one and fixed the rotted section of floor. Because the doorbell wasn’t working I either pushed the wires inside the wall or cut them off, This happened 2 years ago so can’t clearly recall what I did. In any case even if the wires were still in they wouldn’t be connected to a chime for power anyways because the chime was taken out as well. So I ordered a power supply for it and that got here on Friday. Power supply I needed had to have a long cord on it so the one I bought has a 6m or 20’ long wire which is a lot more then I need but thats fine. What I will have to do is figure our where I am going to put it and drill a hole through the wall, actually I want to mount it on the brickmold for the door and then will should come through between the frame and the wall framing then drill a hole through the landing floor and there is in the one room downstairs a plug only a few inches away from the storage under the landing so I can plug it in there then the wire will be run under the trim for the door so you will not see it.
Anyways yes I had to try it so got their app and spent the next 1/2 hr getting completely frustrated as the setup would get so far and would give me two choices, neither of which worked, ie tapping either didn’t do anything so back out and try again and same thing. In the end I called their support line and after about 15 minutes wait finally talked to someone and he basically had me try a few thing but again got so far in the setup and same two choices and nothing. Tried deleting the Ring app and start over again and same thing then I got wondering if the ipad needed to be in portrait rather then landscape and the minute I turned the ipad it would accept either choice. Basically it got to the point in setup where you either turn power off for the doorbell so you can hook it up or it’s already done. In any case once I got it to accept that it was installed (ie had power) the rest went fast enough.
Once it was connected it was interesting to see the lag between something happening and how fast the video changed, lag is around 3 secnds when I tried it. Their app is not really rated very good, people had complains mostly about lag and some were saying its slow enough that someone could ring the bell and by the time they got notified and got the app started that people had left. The other complaint was that it loses the connection between the app and the device and I can see that being a royal pain because you have to hit the rest on the ring, problem is that the ring comes with four different faceplates in different colours and they snap on and then there is a screw on the bottom that you would have to take out And take the cover off to press the reset. With the Ring you get the first month of the subscription included which depending on how long you want the video kept it has different prices, shortest will keep video for 2 months and casts $3 per month which is just retentions of the video feed, or $10 per month will get you human that looks at any alarms . If you decide to not pay anything then you have no video retention at all or simply the live feed only. But at this point it does work and all we were after is live video in any case. I think the second is good for if you install door and window sensors etc more like a monitored security setup. The last few days have been cold and windy, highs around -16-18 and lowes closer to -30 and with the wind we have had a couple days where windchill was close to -45 and far to cold to have the door open or to install the thing. Forcast for later this coming week is close to freezing for the high so maybe I could do it then but will see. Even -10 without a wind I could deal with but I am getting to old for this -45 so I stay inside...

Hope that zenjenny is not being roasted alive down under they have had some parts down there close to +50
Also hope that GroovyGouvy is not buried in snow as I have heard that parts of Germany have been getting a lot. Saw one report that said Austria or part of had close to 3m (10’)
We have been getting a little snow here but hard to tell how much because its blowing around but I think in the past couple days maybe a couple of inches so nothing like Austria. In any case I think Rollie from a couple houses away must be really bored as he was out with the snowblower three times today and cleared ours. Steven was going to come by tomorrow as snow is supposed to stop over night and get our snow blower out but told him Rollie had already don it...multiple times but he will likely stop here anyways.

Thanks for that. Not convinced this is the one for me. I would like video retention so if I’m gonna be paying a monthly fee then I might as well go the whole hog and install a proper system which would pay for itself after 2 years. However, at the moment I am just concerned about knowing who’s at the door because we don’t have a peephole in the door. I have a video cam and might just put it in the window of my DH’s study which is a bay window and looks onto the porch. It has a memory card and works on movement. It connects to an app too I think which should enable me to see who’s there.

lisamjw

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Well it does work...

Your persistence paid off!

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Well it does work...

Thanks for thinking of me, but the snow is in the south of Germany, Munich and such in Bavaria. Hesse is quite okay, only on the hills, Frankfurt is cold but snow free at the moment. :)

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
3 February 2019

Well it has been miserable here, lots of wind and cold and no break showing in the next week or so. Right now as I am siting here its -23 which has been the high for today and with the wind feels like -33. Over the next week highs are going to remain around -22 with lows mainly between -25 and -29 but this coming Wed its supposed to be -37 over night. Had several days lately that windchills have been around the -50. So Karen and I have stayed inside. Steven and Janelle went to Costco and then Superstore for us andthey said its not really nice out there. Have not even had nice sunrises or sunsets to much cloud cover. Long term averages are -9 and -20 so we are quite a bit cooler then normal. Biggest issue is the wind and even the last few days has been a lot cooler in the livingroom because of all the glass and that is also the nw corner of the house where the wind is coming from. Just too cold for my likes. Been too cold to put the Ring up yet, last weekend the forcast kept saying around -2 but never got anywhere near that warm.

A Good friend of ours, used to be a neighbour when we lived in Bradwell took this of their motorhome the other morning. Bradwell is pretty much straight north of here around 250kms.
Her daughter was in the same grade as Katina and they keep in touch as we do with Edna. She has an iPhone and an iPad so we use FaceTime from time to time.
60261372-3041-4727-A2F3-27CFF54F468C.jpeg

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
3 February 2019

Well it has been miserable here, lots of wind and cold and no break showing in the next week or so. Right now as I am siting here its -23 which has been the high for today and with the wind feels like -33. Over the next week highs are going to remain around -22 with lows mainly between -25 and -29 but this coming Wed its supposed to be -37 over night. Had several days lately that windchills have been around the -50. So Karen and I have stayed inside. Steven and Janelle went to Costco and then Superstore for us andthey said its not really nice out there. Have not even had nice sunrises or sunsets to much cloud cover. Long term averages are -9 and -20 so we are quite a bit cooler then normal. Biggest issue is the wind and even the last few days has been a lot cooler in the livingroom because of all the glass and that is also the nw corner of the house where the wind is coming from. Just too cold for my likes. Been too cold to put the Ring up yet, last weekend the forcast kept saying around -2 but never got anywhere near that warm.

A Good friend of ours, used to be a neighbour when we lived in Bradwell took this of their motorhome the other morning. Bradwell is pretty much straight north of here around 250kms.
Her daughter was in the same grade as Katina and they keep in touch as we do with Edna. She has an iPhone and an iPad so we use FaceTime from time to time.
View attachment 120309
Lovely rosy glow on this Larry. Hard to believe that the temperatures are so low. We squeal if it gets as low as -3!!!

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Monthly average for Jan was low of -20.6 and high average of -11 which is not really far off the long term averages. Of course there have been several days with -33’s and that doesn’t take into consideration the wind chill. January seemed to have more wind or higher wind speeds so several days felt closer to -50’s. Monthly average wind speed was 21.5kmh or about 14mph Had a couple days where wind was up over 60kmh (40mph) and that coupled with -30’s gets really cold, Humidy is also higher than normal for the month and again contributes, higher means you feel colder. Today the wind is lower so feels better today then it did yesterday.
This year I seem to be cold a lot, more than previous years. Beginning of January I changed my bedding, we had a mattress pad but took that off and put on one that is filled with goose down which holds heat better, regular fitted sheet over that, top sheet I replaced with a flannel sheet then a duvet that again is goose down and because I still felt cold threw a heavier fleece blanket on top and sleep pretty good. Have thought about trying one of the weighted blankets as they are supposed to help you sleep but will see.

Just looking online for the heavy flannel but most call them a mink blanket because they feel so soft :) they say they weigh around 4kg or 8-9lbs...