• > UPDATE < Thanks to all who've so far DONATED helping us update MobiTog, keep 'em coming please! AND A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog is open for business with some minor stuff on-going... :)

Mobi52 Larry’s Project 52 - 2019

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Still not feeling great. This morning I thought drive over to the clinic, well even just walking as far as the corner of the house I knew I was definitely weaker. Made it to the garage and got walker in and my legs wouldn’t co-operate to actually get in the van so back and got walker out and went back inside and told Karen I couldn’t and I figured if I couldn’t get in the van probably should not drive in any case.
Just after Lunch I sent a text to David and asked if he could take me after he got off work. He had bought 5 lbs of butter for Karen so brought them over and we went over to the clinic. I was surprised because I was into see a doctor writhing about 20 minutes. Not that it was much of a surprise. The clinics are open to anyone and first come first served but that was raised to a whole new realm when it is more of a see how fast you can get a new patient in. I told him this was similar to what happened a year ago when I landed up in hospital and he simply says go to the hospital and gets up. He did give me two prescription for two different anti-biopics but he didn’t really explain why. Anyways there is a pharmacy right next door, actually I think it is owned by the clinic, so thought I would fill it there until the guy says they are so busy, they had something like ten prescriptions to fill and he figured 1.5 to 2 hrs. Makes me wonder how long it takes to fill the prescription as it was 20 pills of one and 14 of the other. Anyways I said I am not waiting that long so took the prescription back and we drove up to Superstore and the said maybe 30 minutes but we didn’t need anything from there so just sat and waited and took not even 15 minutes.
Will see how they work and go from there but will for sure not go back to the same doctor again.

Not much appetite, had a bowl of soup at lunch yesterday and it pretty much went straight through. i thought doctor might want to do blood work but apparently not. Because I did all I had to tay was some clear fluids. Still don’t feel much eating but I made a bun with cheese and will see if I can eat it and at least get something solid in me as I haven’t had in a couple days

Steven was around last night and brought up my oil filled heater, I like it as heat is very even and no drafts had it on last night for not even a couple hours and was pretty comfortable, warm enough that i was feeling cold all the time and heater is set as low as it goes.

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Oh Larry, I hope you feel better soon. And you know that Karen’s always right, so maybe you’re looking in the wrong place for the heat pad. It’s probably under your bed!:lol: Stay warm. Very nice edit on the orchid - is that Hipsta?
Probably hiding in plain sight which would not surprise me but so far we have not found it. I have a cordless one that will run around 3 hours on 4-AA batteries and it actually works pretty good so at least I have that. We have another different kind, a liquid and there is a little disk that when you bend it the liquid turns to a solid and heats up, only issue I have with it is the time you have to have it in very hot water to go back to a liquid, we also have some that you can microwave but they all have their pluses and minuses. The oil filled heater I figured is the easiest.

Yes pic is Hipstamatic, Muir+W-40 with standard flash (in Hipstamatic).

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
12 April 2019

Well it’s happening....
I have been having trouble with the HD in my 24” iMac, sometimes would boot fine and after running a while it would lock up and if I rebooted it would take a very long time to reboot. If. Shut it down for a couple hrs it would boot faster. Was getting the odd time when rebooting a circle with a slash through it and that means it can see the drive and can see the OS but something is wrong and can’t start. So I ordered last sunday a new drive for it a 500gig but instead of a conventional I went with what is called an SSD or SolidStateDrive so no moving parts and once running will be like the portable and boots apps on it really fast. It got here on Wed. Yesterday with the old drive it seemed to be running good so I decided to try a time machine backup. I started it and was going very slow so left it run over night. At 11 it said it had done around 9gig of the 109gig it was going to back up and I thought at current rate it would take most of today as well but when I got up this morning said it was done.
Steven dropped off his tools, ie some very small torx bit screwdrivers and this afternoon I took the iMac apart. I will put up some pics. In any case that went not to bad but still wouldn’t boot or anything. After work steven found the boot disk for OSX Lion which is what originally came on this thing so started it fro the disc and finally got into disk utilities and it saw the new drive so I erased it and partitioned it (one big 500 gig) and then I installed Lion and got that all running by around 9pm. Right now I am downloading El Capitan which I can do in one big jump. Has to download over 6gig and says right now about 2.5hrs to finish then I can install it.

For those that want to see the inside o an iMac...
3DBC2632-A356-4AA8-8CBA-1FFF2E3662C7.jpeg

Here I have taken it apart and screen is out. Had to find a couple suction cups to get the from glass off and I used the two feet off my bath chair and stuck them on diagonal corners and lift straight up and the glass will pop out. It is held in place with around 12 magnets and has a number of guide so you have to lift straight up. Once the glass is off you have to undo 12 screws (three different lengths so have to be careful to get them back in the right place). Once those screws are out the whole bezel for the front come off and have to unhook one small connector for the microphone. Once bezel os off another 8 screws come out and then the screen can be removed after unhooking three more connectors.

3017969A-0A9E-4C38-BB36-A3CA0F50DE63.jpeg

Above pic shows the inside with a blank spot at centre top which is where the HD goes

82522845-8125-4F02-B525-06436F99163B.jpeg

This pic shows the old Western Digital 320gig HD and that small thing beside it is the new Crucial 500gig SSD drive

24965F53-5ED7-4367-85D2-DA9DD8672D8C.jpeg

And here the SSD is sitting on top of the old drive so it is tiny compared to the old one.

The new one I didn’t get the holder for it. Online they said to either use tape or Velcro as the SSD Drives are small and weigh nothing compared to the old drive.

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
As I mentioned I had backed it up last night and was taking a very long time. Once I got it all back together Steven brought over my original startup disk for OSX Lion and from there I can jump straight to El Capitan and then High Sierra if I want but to install anything newer you have to have El Capitan installed. When I finally got the disc and booted it open disc utilities and you can format the drive. I erased it as it said it was already in the correct format and from disc utilities restored the backup. That took almost 1.5 hrs and on rebooting gave me the same thing as the old drive, could see the drive and the OS on it but something was corrupt so can’t use it. So rebooted with the disc again and told it to install Lion. Came back and said something about i had to partition the drive first so back to disc utils and did that then installed Lion. It is now running Lion and downloading El Capitan but as thats going to take at least anther couple hours I am going to leave it go over night and install it tomorrow. Sure boots Lion fast and Safari takes only a second r so to start which is a lot faster then the old drive. In the end backing up yesterday was a waste of time but you never know.

Was going to tack this on the previous message but was ding some weird stuff so....

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
12 April 2019

Well it’s happening....
I have been having trouble with the HD in my 24” iMac, sometimes would boot fine and after running a while it would lock up and if I rebooted it would take a very long time to reboot. If. Shut it down for a couple hrs it would boot faster. Was getting the odd time when rebooting a circle with a slash through it and that means it can see the drive and can see the OS but something is wrong and can’t start. So I ordered last sunday a new drive for it a 500gig but instead of a conventional I went with what is called an SSD or SolidStateDrive so no moving parts and once running will be like the portable and boots apps on it really fast. It got here on Wed. Yesterday with the old drive it seemed to be running good so I decided to try a time machine backup. I started it and was going very slow so left it run over night. At 11 it said it had done around 9gig of the 109gig it was going to back up and I thought at current rate it would take most of today as well but when I got up this morning said it was done.
Steven dropped off his tools, ie some very small torx bit screwdrivers and this afternoon I took the iMac apart. I will put up some pics. In any case that went not to bad but still wouldn’t boot or anything. After work steven found the boot disk for OSX Lion which is what originally came on this thing so started it fro the disc and finally got into disk utilities and it saw the new drive so I erased it and partitioned it (one big 500 gig) and then I installed Lion and got that all running by around 9pm. Right now I am downloading El Capitan which I can do in one big jump. Has to download over 6gig and says right now about 2.5hrs to finish then I can install it.

For those that want to see the inside o an iMac...
View attachment 144227

Here I have taken it apart and screen is out. Had to find a couple suction cups to get the from glass off and I used the two feet off my bath chair and stuck them on diagonal corners and lift straight up and the glass will pop out. It is held in place with around 12 magnets and has a number of guide so you have to lift straight up. Once the glass is off you have to undo 12 screws (three different lengths so have to be careful to get them back in the right place). Once those screws are out the whole bezel for the front come off and have to unhook one small connector for the microphone. Once bezel os off another 8 screws come out and then the screen can be removed after unhooking three more connectors.

View attachment 144224

Above pic shows the inside with a blank spot at centre top which is where the HD goes

View attachment 144225

This pic shows the old Western Digital 320gig HD and that small thing beside it is the new Crucial 500gig SSD drive

View attachment 144226
And here the SSD is sitting on top of the old drive so it is tiny compared to the old one.

The new one I didn’t get the holder for it. Online they said to either use tape or Velcro as the SSD Drives are small and weigh nothing compared to the old drive.
As I mentioned I had backed it up last night and was taking a very long time. Once I got it all back together Steven brought over my original startup disk for OSX Lion and from there I can jump straight to El Capitan and then High Sierra if I want but to install anything newer you have to have El Capitan installed. When I finally got the disc and booted it open disc utilities and you can format the drive. I erased it as it said it was already in the correct format and from disc utilities restored the backup. That took almost 1.5 hrs and on rebooting gave me the same thing as the old drive, could see the drive and the OS on it but something was corrupt so can’t use it. So rebooted with the disc again and told it to install Lion. Came back and said something about i had to partition the drive first so back to disc utils and did that then installed Lion. It is now running Lion and downloading El Capitan but as thats going to take at least anther couple hours I am going to leave it go over night and install it tomorrow. Sure boots Lion fast and Safari takes only a second r so to start which is a lot faster then the old drive. In the end backing up yesterday was a waste of time but you never know.

Was going to tack this on the previous message but was ding some weird stuff so....
Well that’s something I never thought I’d see - the insides of an iMac!! Just as well you know what you’re doing Larry - it looks quite complicated to me. Sooooo many little components that could go wrong. Well done for fixing it!

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
After using one of the SSD Drives I would never switch back to a conventional drive.
This morning when I got up it had finished downloading El Capitan and waiting for me to install it. Took about an hour all told to install El Capitan and get any updates so it was up to date. My iMac is not new enough to install Mojave OSX but that’s perfectly fine. Apparently there are ways to if I really wanted to but this OSX is fine and what I have been using up til now. Started to reload some apps and over time will add more as I need them.
Drive is silent of course being in basic terms a 500gig memory stick and incredibly fast to load from. Opening images for example used to take 4-5 seconds, this you dbl click on the image blink and its loaded, same thing for starting the web browsers, this is almost instant which the old drives are not. Prices or the SSD’s have come down a lot and will continue to get cheaper. I paid under $100 for this one, a 500gig made by a company called Crucial. When I added more ram to the iMac I also used their cards and never had an issue. I could have bought an offf brand or a little cheaper but seeing how long this runs etc I figured stay with good stuff.
For what it’s worth I had never had my imac apart before. Steven had taken my old 17” iMac apart and for christmas he put in a 1TB drive and reinstalled the OS on it (that was a few years ago). The last week or so since my 24 was acting up I set up the old iMac and had been mostly using it. Sure notice the difference in size though from my old 17” to the newer 24” and while I had it apart I cleaned the inside as much as I can. It has two internal fans and both were pretty dusty.

I think about the hardest thing to do was to get the one connector back on. On the top right you can the bottom a a board and the screen had one connector that goes on it, getting it off was a royal pian, you are supposed to simply use two finger to push the cable down and it would unhook the connector which it did but was a lot harder then I expected. Biggest issue was getting it back on, as you are trying to clip it on with very limited space and you can’t see anything. In the end I unscrewed that board and hooked it up and then had to screw it back in place. Took maybe an hour and a half to get it apart and back together. Luckily there are really good instructions online with lots of pictures (site is called IFixIt) so that made things a lot easier

Last edited:

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
18 April 2019
Karen’s second Orchid has a second bloom on it and looks like a third will open on it in the next few days. Third Orchid has some blooms coming on it so on the whole are doing pretty good.

516569E2-C434-4B01-AC15-03BCE364A4F2.jpeg

943F07BF-5AAA-4387-A121-F807ED2CDF3D.jpeg