• Please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU to all our generous & supportive MobiMembers!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Mobi52 Larry’s Project 52 - 2019

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Still not feeling great. This morning I thought drive over to the clinic, well even just walking as far as the corner of the house I knew I was definitely weaker. Made it to the garage and got walker in and my legs wouldn’t co-operate to actually get in the van so back and got walker out and went back inside and told Karen I couldn’t and I figured if I couldn’t get in the van probably should not drive in any case.
Just after Lunch I sent a text to David and asked if he could take me after he got off work. He had bought 5 lbs of butter for Karen so brought them over and we went over to the clinic. I was surprised because I was into see a doctor writhing about 20 minutes. Not that it was much of a surprise. The clinics are open to anyone and first come first served but that was raised to a whole new realm when it is more of a see how fast you can get a new patient in. I told him this was similar to what happened a year ago when I landed up in hospital and he simply says go to the hospital and gets up. He did give me two prescription for two different anti-biopics but he didn’t really explain why. Anyways there is a pharmacy right next door, actually I think it is owned by the clinic, so thought I would fill it there until the guy says they are so busy, they had something like ten prescriptions to fill and he figured 1.5 to 2 hrs. Makes me wonder how long it takes to fill the prescription as it was 20 pills of one and 14 of the other. Anyways I said I am not waiting that long so took the prescription back and we drove up to Superstore and the said maybe 30 minutes but we didn’t need anything from there so just sat and waited and took not even 15 minutes.
Will see how they work and go from there but will for sure not go back to the same doctor again.

Not much appetite, had a bowl of soup at lunch yesterday and it pretty much went straight through. i thought doctor might want to do blood work but apparently not. Because I did all I had to tay was some clear fluids. Still don’t feel much eating but I made a bun with cheese and will see if I can eat it and at least get something solid in me as I haven’t had in a couple days

Steven was around last night and brought up my oil filled heater, I like it as heat is very even and no drafts had it on last night for not even a couple hours and was pretty comfortable, warm enough that i was feeling cold all the time and heater is set as low as it goes.

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Oh Larry, I hope you feel better soon. And you know that Karen’s always right, so maybe you’re looking in the wrong place for the heat pad. It’s probably under your bed!:lol: Stay warm. Very nice edit on the orchid - is that Hipsta?
Probably hiding in plain sight which would not surprise me but so far we have not found it. I have a cordless one that will run around 3 hours on 4-AA batteries and it actually works pretty good so at least I have that. We have another different kind, a liquid and there is a little disk that when you bend it the liquid turns to a solid and heats up, only issue I have with it is the time you have to have it in very hot water to go back to a liquid, we also have some that you can microwave but they all have their pluses and minuses. The oil filled heater I figured is the easiest.

Yes pic is Hipstamatic, Muir+W-40 with standard flash (in Hipstamatic).

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
12 April 2019

Well it’s happening....
I have been having trouble with the HD in my 24” iMac, sometimes would boot fine and after running a while it would lock up and if I rebooted it would take a very long time to reboot. If. Shut it down for a couple hrs it would boot faster. Was getting the odd time when rebooting a circle with a slash through it and that means it can see the drive and can see the OS but something is wrong and can’t start. So I ordered last sunday a new drive for it a 500gig but instead of a conventional I went with what is called an SSD or SolidStateDrive so no moving parts and once running will be like the portable and boots apps on it really fast. It got here on Wed. Yesterday with the old drive it seemed to be running good so I decided to try a time machine backup. I started it and was going very slow so left it run over night. At 11 it said it had done around 9gig of the 109gig it was going to back up and I thought at current rate it would take most of today as well but when I got up this morning said it was done.
Steven dropped off his tools, ie some very small torx bit screwdrivers and this afternoon I took the iMac apart. I will put up some pics. In any case that went not to bad but still wouldn’t boot or anything. After work steven found the boot disk for OSX Lion which is what originally came on this thing so started it fro the disc and finally got into disk utilities and it saw the new drive so I erased it and partitioned it (one big 500 gig) and then I installed Lion and got that all running by around 9pm. Right now I am downloading El Capitan which I can do in one big jump. Has to download over 6gig and says right now about 2.5hrs to finish then I can install it.

For those that want to see the inside o an iMac...
3DBC2632-A356-4AA8-8CBA-1FFF2E3662C7.jpeg

Here I have taken it apart and screen is out. Had to find a couple suction cups to get the from glass off and I used the two feet off my bath chair and stuck them on diagonal corners and lift straight up and the glass will pop out. It is held in place with around 12 magnets and has a number of guide so you have to lift straight up. Once the glass is off you have to undo 12 screws (three different lengths so have to be careful to get them back in the right place). Once those screws are out the whole bezel for the front come off and have to unhook one small connector for the microphone. Once bezel os off another 8 screws come out and then the screen can be removed after unhooking three more connectors.

3017969A-0A9E-4C38-BB36-A3CA0F50DE63.jpeg

Above pic shows the inside with a blank spot at centre top which is where the HD goes

82522845-8125-4F02-B525-06436F99163B.jpeg

This pic shows the old Western Digital 320gig HD and that small thing beside it is the new Crucial 500gig SSD drive

24965F53-5ED7-4367-85D2-DA9DD8672D8C.jpeg

And here the SSD is sitting on top of the old drive so it is tiny compared to the old one.

The new one I didn’t get the holder for it. Online they said to either use tape or Velcro as the SSD Drives are small and weigh nothing compared to the old drive.

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
As I mentioned I had backed it up last night and was taking a very long time. Once I got it all back together Steven brought over my original startup disk for OSX Lion and from there I can jump straight to El Capitan and then High Sierra if I want but to install anything newer you have to have El Capitan installed. When I finally got the disc and booted it open disc utilities and you can format the drive. I erased it as it said it was already in the correct format and from disc utilities restored the backup. That took almost 1.5 hrs and on rebooting gave me the same thing as the old drive, could see the drive and the OS on it but something was corrupt so can’t use it. So rebooted with the disc again and told it to install Lion. Came back and said something about i had to partition the drive first so back to disc utils and did that then installed Lion. It is now running Lion and downloading El Capitan but as thats going to take at least anther couple hours I am going to leave it go over night and install it tomorrow. Sure boots Lion fast and Safari takes only a second r so to start which is a lot faster then the old drive. In the end backing up yesterday was a waste of time but you never know.

Was going to tack this on the previous message but was ding some weird stuff so....

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
12 April 2019

Well it’s happening....
I have been having trouble with the HD in my 24” iMac, sometimes would boot fine and after running a while it would lock up and if I rebooted it would take a very long time to reboot. If. Shut it down for a couple hrs it would boot faster. Was getting the odd time when rebooting a circle with a slash through it and that means it can see the drive and can see the OS but something is wrong and can’t start. So I ordered last sunday a new drive for it a 500gig but instead of a conventional I went with what is called an SSD or SolidStateDrive so no moving parts and once running will be like the portable and boots apps on it really fast. It got here on Wed. Yesterday with the old drive it seemed to be running good so I decided to try a time machine backup. I started it and was going very slow so left it run over night. At 11 it said it had done around 9gig of the 109gig it was going to back up and I thought at current rate it would take most of today as well but when I got up this morning said it was done.
Steven dropped off his tools, ie some very small torx bit screwdrivers and this afternoon I took the iMac apart. I will put up some pics. In any case that went not to bad but still wouldn’t boot or anything. After work steven found the boot disk for OSX Lion which is what originally came on this thing so started it fro the disc and finally got into disk utilities and it saw the new drive so I erased it and partitioned it (one big 500 gig) and then I installed Lion and got that all running by around 9pm. Right now I am downloading El Capitan which I can do in one big jump. Has to download over 6gig and says right now about 2.5hrs to finish then I can install it.

View attachment 144227

Here I have taken it apart and screen is out. Had to find a couple suction cups to get the from glass off and I used the two feet off my bath chair and stuck them on diagonal corners and lift straight up and the glass will pop out. It is held in place with around 12 magnets and has a number of guide so you have to lift straight up. Once the glass is off you have to undo 12 screws (three different lengths so have to be careful to get them back in the right place). Once those screws are out the whole bezel for the front come off and have to unhook one small connector for the microphone. Once bezel os off another 8 screws come out and then the screen can be removed after unhooking three more connectors.

View attachment 144224

Above pic shows the inside with a blank spot at centre top which is where the HD goes

View attachment 144225

This pic shows the old Western Digital 320gig HD and that small thing beside it is the new Crucial 500gig SSD drive

View attachment 144226
And here the SSD is sitting on top of the old drive so it is tiny compared to the old one.

The new one I didn’t get the holder for it. Online they said to either use tape or Velcro as the SSD Drives are small and weigh nothing compared to the old drive.
As I mentioned I had backed it up last night and was taking a very long time. Once I got it all back together Steven brought over my original startup disk for OSX Lion and from there I can jump straight to El Capitan and then High Sierra if I want but to install anything newer you have to have El Capitan installed. When I finally got the disc and booted it open disc utilities and you can format the drive. I erased it as it said it was already in the correct format and from disc utilities restored the backup. That took almost 1.5 hrs and on rebooting gave me the same thing as the old drive, could see the drive and the OS on it but something was corrupt so can’t use it. So rebooted with the disc again and told it to install Lion. Came back and said something about i had to partition the drive first so back to disc utils and did that then installed Lion. It is now running Lion and downloading El Capitan but as thats going to take at least anther couple hours I am going to leave it go over night and install it tomorrow. Sure boots Lion fast and Safari takes only a second r so to start which is a lot faster then the old drive. In the end backing up yesterday was a waste of time but you never know.

Was going to tack this on the previous message but was ding some weird stuff so....
Well that’s something I never thought I’d see - the insides of an iMac!! Just as well you know what you’re doing Larry - it looks quite complicated to me. Sooooo many little components that could go wrong. Well done for fixing it!

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
After using one of the SSD Drives I would never switch back to a conventional drive.
This morning when I got up it had finished downloading El Capitan and waiting for me to install it. Took about an hour all told to install El Capitan and get any updates so it was up to date. My iMac is not new enough to install Mojave OSX but that’s perfectly fine. Apparently there are ways to if I really wanted to but this OSX is fine and what I have been using up til now. Started to reload some apps and over time will add more as I need them.
Drive is silent of course being in basic terms a 500gig memory stick and incredibly fast to load from. Opening images for example used to take 4-5 seconds, this you dbl click on the image blink and its loaded, same thing for starting the web browsers, this is almost instant which the old drives are not. Prices or the SSD’s have come down a lot and will continue to get cheaper. I paid under $100 for this one, a 500gig made by a company called Crucial. When I added more ram to the iMac I also used their cards and never had an issue. I could have bought an offf brand or a little cheaper but seeing how long this runs etc I figured stay with good stuff.
For what it’s worth I had never had my imac apart before. Steven had taken my old 17” iMac apart and for christmas he put in a 1TB drive and reinstalled the OS on it (that was a few years ago). The last week or so since my 24 was acting up I set up the old iMac and had been mostly using it. Sure notice the difference in size though from my old 17” to the newer 24” and while I had it apart I cleaned the inside as much as I can. It has two internal fans and both were pretty dusty.

I think about the hardest thing to do was to get the one connector back on. On the top right you can the bottom a a board and the screen had one connector that goes on it, getting it off was a royal pian, you are supposed to simply use two finger to push the cable down and it would unhook the connector which it did but was a lot harder then I expected. Biggest issue was getting it back on, as you are trying to clip it on with very limited space and you can’t see anything. In the end I unscrewed that board and hooked it up and then had to screw it back in place. Took maybe an hour and a half to get it apart and back together. Luckily there are really good instructions online with lots of pictures (site is called IFixIt) so that made things a lot easier

Last edited:

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
18 April 2019
Karen’s second Orchid has a second bloom on it and looks like a third will open on it in the next few days. Third Orchid has some blooms coming on it so on the whole are doing pretty good.

516569E2-C434-4B01-AC15-03BCE364A4F2.jpeg

943F07BF-5AAA-4387-A121-F807ED2CDF3D.jpeg

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
26 Apr 2019

Going to put some stuff on UsedRegina and Kijiji.
Karen bought a mattress pad and pillows and some fancy sheets from a place in Quebec. The next day she is given two tracking numbers one from Canada and one from the US. In any case expensive but supposed to be really good. Last Wed the mattress pad and Pillows showed up but at that time still waiting for sheets. Karen wanted me to try the Mattress pad on the air mattress but I didn’t sleep good, found that I sank into it which made it more difficult to move or even get into bed, in the end I had to owner the bed height. The bigger issue was because I sank into it some I was too warm, ie if I was aging on my back it would be a lot warmer then the rest of me. Pillows were fine though but I still thin I like my extra long pillow better.
Next day I put the mattress pad on her bed (night was set by her wheelchair so she could get in and out easier. Problem was she couldn’t get into the bed with it on from the manual chair so had to transfer to the power chair which is a bit higher. She said she slept good with it so seems like its going to stay. Next day she was taking about putting her bed on the floor instead of the metal frame with caster that we have but I figured that would drop it so it was far too low. So found some pieces of 4x4 posts and got six pieces 10” long and the bed sits on tp of them, they are screwed into place so can’t move. With that the bed was very close to the same height as before and she can transfer from her manual chair without problems. Under the bed we had the left over laminate flooring (8 unopened bundles) so I took the bed apart and moved the laminate to the top of the stairs and the frame is sitting near the top of the stairs. I was going to get the laminate put downstairs and the bed frame out in the garage on the off chance she wants something different at some point. Anyways she basically nixed that idea and said to put them on UsedRegina. Then I was thinking if I was going to put them up I may as well put the glass blocks up as well so had David bring one in.

E3B6B94D-C6A3-4693-9A08-D3E614EF62FD.jpeg

These are real glass blocks and I originally got them way back when I worked for the University. They were tearing down an old power house at the time and we told if we wanted anything out of it to go get it. One of the other guys and myself decided I wanted some of the glass blocks so we took them. Originally I had over 500 of them and I used a pile when I added onto our house but in Bradwell but I had a lot eft over. When we moved to Regina we had left them up in Bradwell but kids decided they liked smashing them so in the end I hauled them all down here and I stacked them in the Garage. I had thought of using them a couple times but it never happened and I no longer can work like I used to, just doing Karen’s bed made e hurt a lot. So I am going to sell them all (I have 201 blocks out there) I was checking online and they sell for a lot more then I expected so I am debating where I start as people on UsedRegina etc like to haggle a bit.
These also weigh a lot probably around 5lbs for each block.
In any case will post the ads in the next couple days and see what I get. Average price is around $16 on ebay but doubt I will get that much

Starzee

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
26 Apr 2019

Going to put some stuff on UsedRegina and Kijiji.
Karen bought a mattress pad and pillows and some fancy sheets from a place in Quebec. The next day she is given two tracking numbers one from Canada and one from the US. In any case expensive but supposed to be really good. Last Wed the mattress pad and Pillows showed up but at that time still waiting for sheets. Karen wanted me to try the Mattress pad on the air mattress but I didn’t sleep good, found that I sank into it which made it more difficult to move or even get into bed, in the end I had to owner the bed height. The bigger issue was because I sank into it some I was too warm, ie if I was aging on my back it would be a lot warmer then the rest of me. Pillows were fine though but I still thin I like my extra long pillow better.
Next day I put the mattress pad on her bed (night was set by her wheelchair so she could get in and out easier. Problem was she couldn’t get into the bed with it on from the manual chair so had to transfer to the power chair which is a bit higher. She said she slept good with it so seems like its going to stay. Next day she was taking about putting her bed on the floor instead of the metal frame with caster that we have but I figured that would drop it so it was far too low. So found some pieces of 4x4 posts and got six pieces 10” long and the bed sits on tp of them, they are screwed into place so can’t move. With that the bed was very close to the same height as before and she can transfer from her manual chair without problems. Under the bed we had the left over laminate flooring (8 unopened bundles) so I took the bed apart and moved the laminate to the top of the stairs and the frame is sitting near the top of the stairs. I was going to get the laminate put downstairs and the bed frame out in the garage on the off chance she wants something different at some point. Anyways she basically nixed that idea and said to put them on UsedRegina. Then I was thinking if I was going to put them up I may as well put the glass blocks up as well so had David bring one in.

View attachment 144688
These are real glass blocks and I originally got them way back when I worked for the University. They were tearing down an old power house at the time and we told if we wanted anything out of it to go get it. One of the other guys and myself decided I wanted some of the glass blocks so we took them. Originally I had over 500 of them and I used a pile when I added onto our house but in Bradwell but I had a lot eft over. When we moved to Regina we had left them up in Bradwell but kids decided they liked smashing them so in the end I hauled them all down here and I stacked them in the Garage. I had thought of using them a couple times but it never happened and I no longer can work like I used to, just doing Karen’s bed made e hurt a lot. So I am going to sell them all (I have 201 blocks out there) I was checking online and they sell for a lot more then I expected so I am debating where I start as people on UsedRegina etc like to haggle a bit.
These also weigh a lot probably around 5lbs for each block.
In any case will post the ads in the next couple days and see what I get. Average price is around $16 on ebay but doubt I will get that much
I have always been enamored with glass blocks. Years ago, when we were looking for a house, we looked at a place with a walk in shower that was made with glass blocks. It was a spiral walk in so acted as the walls as well as the “curtain”, if that makes sense. I wanted the house just for the shower. Not even close to our price range...

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
I have always been enamored with glass blocks. Years ago, when we were looking for a house, we looked at a place with a walk in shower that was made with glass blocks. It was a spiral walk in so acted as the walls as well as the “curtain”, if that makes sense. I wanted the house just for the shower. Not even close to our price range...
Anything with real glass bloc that I have seen has been expensive. Now a days they have the acrylic “Glass” blocks and much lighter and from what I have seen still up there in price, I also have a couple rolls of a product made for glass blocs but didn’t want to use cement mortar, it spaces the block so they are 8” and you use clear silicone instead of cement. Will have to see if I can find pictures of what I did with them when I first got them. At that time we were building an addition that had a master suit upstairs and downstairs was going to be a family room and along the south a almost 40’ long by 12’ greenhouse. I had a smaller greenhouse and because it faced south and nothing to block it even when it was -40 outside it was close to +40 in the greenhouse. I used to open the windows in our bedroom that looked into the greenhouse and had a couple fans and that almost heated the whole house. There are opening windows at the top of the roof glass so you could open them to get rid of heat but why waste it...
in the master bedroom I started out with the idea of two large glass block windows on either side of the bed and then thought of extending them down for light in the family room and started framing that and then changed it and ran some of the blocks over top of the bed as well so basically a “U” shape. Thought it looked good and downstairs needed more light so did the same thing under the windows downstairs, from the outside it was a big closed box on the sidewall. The floor was done with what is called balloon framing so the 2x5’s on the side go from foundation all the way up to the roof and the floor is build inside the framing. It was unigue and looked neat with cedar siding in the middle. I did a similar effect in the kitchen island when I did the back of it, divided it in half and cedar was done at a 45Degree angle . Was a pain to do but looked good.

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Well really hope forecast is wrong....
Was +12 this afternoon but we are down to +4 with a good wind and forecast is mixed snow and rain. Calgary had that this morning and the were saying Cyprus Hills about 3 hours drive west was supposed to get up to a foot of snow and Outlook, Saskatoon a couple hours north is supposed to get up to abut 8”. Hope we don’t get anything here though yes we could use the moisture I just don’t want the white stuff....

Starzee

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Anything with real glass bloc that I have seen has been expensive. Now a days they have the acrylic “Glass” blocks and much lighter and from what I have seen still up there in price, I also have a couple rolls of a product made for glass blocs but didn’t want to use cement mortar, it spaces the block so they are 8” and you use clear silicone instead of cement. Will have to see if I can find pictures of what I did with them when I first got them. At that time we were building an addition that had a master suit upstairs and downstairs was going to be a family room and along the south a almost 40’ long by 12’ greenhouse. I had a smaller greenhouse and because it faced south and nothing to block it even when it was -40 outside it was close to +40 in the greenhouse. I used to open the windows in our bedroom that looked into the greenhouse and had a couple fans and that almost heated the whole house. There are opening windows at the top of the roof glass so you could open them to get rid of heat but why waste it...
in the master bedroom I started out with the idea of two large glass block windows on either side of the bed and then thought of extending them down for light in the family room and started framing that and then changed it and ran some of the blocks over top of the bed as well so basically a “U” shape. Thought it looked good and downstairs needed more light so did the same thing under the windows downstairs, from the outside it was a big closed box on the sidewall. The floor was done with what is called balloon framing so the 2x5’s on the side go from foundation all the way up to the roof and the floor is build inside the framing. It was unigue and looked neat with cedar siding in the middle. I did a similar effect in the kitchen island when I did the back of it, divided it in half and cedar was done at a 45Degree angle . Was a pain to do but looked good.
I hope you find the pictures! It sounds cool! You certainly area clever guy. I love that you used solar heat before it was trendy.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
How innovative Larry. You certainly were ahead of your time. And it’s a great idea to recycle stuff that you don’t need instead of sending it to the tip. :thumbs:

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
28 April 2019

Well darn it all anways, it’s started....
F5A886F0-E36E-4580-BECB-F935F5822E0E.jpeg

Currently -1 and ver windy and this is supposed to continue today and tomorrow. We might see a couple inches out it from what the are saying but Cypress Hills and south are supposed to get a lot more, strange the farther north you go the less white stuff. Forecast for here is +2 for the high but the wind will keep it feeling about 10 degrees colder.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
28 April 2019

View attachment 144742
Currently -1 and ver windy and this is supposed to continue today and tomorrow. We might see a couple inches out it from what the are saying but Cypress Hills and south are supposed to get a lot more, strange the farther north you go the less white stuff. Forecast for here is +2 for the high but the wind will keep it feeling about 10 degrees colder.
Agh! Horrible. Terrible stuff. How do you stand it Larry?

Tiffany

MobiStarlet
Real Name
Tiffany
Device
iPhone Xs Max
After using one of the SSD Drives I would never switch back to a conventional drive.
This morning when I got up it had finished downloading El Capitan and waiting for me to install it. Took about an hour all told to install El Capitan and get any updates so it was up to date. My iMac is not new enough to install Mojave OSX but that’s perfectly fine. Apparently there are ways to if I really wanted to but this OSX is fine and what I have been using up til now. Started to reload some apps and over time will add more as I need them.
I have a Fusion Drive on my iMac 5k and well, it isn't as fast as a pure SSD like in the MacBook Pro I bought before it. I really should have gotten the SSD as this 2TB Fusion Drive cost extra; I could have gotten the 256gb SSD and an external drive, which I now have. Hindsight, and all that...:(

Tiffany

MobiStarlet
Real Name
Tiffany
Device
iPhone Xs Max
28 April 2019

View attachment 144742
OMG! It's been around 75° around Central PA except for today when it was 56°. I couldn't take more snow. No way.

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
I have a Fusion Drive on my iMac 5k and well, it isn't as fast as a pure SSD like in the MacBook Pro I bought before it. I really should have gotten the SSD as this 2TB Fusion Drive cost extra; I could have gotten the 256gb SSD and an external drive, which I now have. Hindsight, and all that...:(
Fusion drives were for the time very fast and not a lot slower than a SSD. Watched a vid where they compared boot up times and the Fusion booted in around 20 seconds, a SSD was around 4 seconds faster. Now this is not loading anything else, for me I use the internal drive, a 1TB external and an 8TB external. The 8TB needs an app called NTFS to be running, I also have DropBox and Weather and a couple other things so my times are a little longer then theirs but the difference between a regular HDD and the SDD is like night and day, compared to my old setup it is incredibly fast. I really liked it and my son Steven went and bought 2 500gig SSD’s from a shop here in town and spent his sunday changing the drives in both his and Janelle’s laptops and so far he really like them. We Bought a new Powerbook for Karen a few months ago and it had an SSD in it and really liked so when my HD started acting up.... Right now I don’t have a lot on the SSD, says I have 471.25Gig free on the SSD. Most daily stuff I write to a partition on the 1TB and then if I am going to keep it will move it over to the 8TB. The 1TB has two partitions about equal in size and second is set up as a time machine backup

Well that was all the snow we got, just about a half inch and today its gone, currently +5c. Cypress Hills sure got it, last night they had around 400mm or 16” of new snow so they will still have some for a few days. Calgary got about 4” from what my daughter was telling us today.

After close to 14 years she left Telus. Well kind of forced on them as Telus decided to move dispatch where she worked from Calgary to the Phillippians and her supervisor didn’t like Katina though strangely enough when she needed stuff done she always went to Katina. Anyways today was the first day of school for her. She is going for a medical assistant which is basically in the office arranging things. Actually taking two different courses and will be back in School full time until November. She is a lot happier now that most of the stress is gone. From what she was saying this private school is hard to get into and most people are called back for interviews at least a couple times so getting in only part way through the first interview was really good. She also used to work for many years with a Respiratory Company so that helped some. She said they normally have around 6-7 people for every opening so again getting in is a good thing. That school also has a very good reputation and a 99% placement record coming out of it. I think it will suite her...

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
OMG! It's been around 75° around Central PA except for today when it was 56°. I couldn't take more snow. No way.
When I got up and saw snow I was thinking the same, I can’t take any more... I heard part of the Coquahalla highway in BC was shut but I had a look on the highway cams and no sign of snow and Calgary is not that bad. South of us got a lot more from what they said. Still not really nice here, sunny and +5 but wind is really cold. Supposed to warm up to around +10 but overnight is either jus below freezing or like tonight supposed to get to -7c over night.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
12 April 2019

Well it’s happening....

View attachment 144227

View attachment 144224

View attachment 144225

View attachment 144226

I am always in awe of people who have this skill. :notworthy:

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
6 May 2019

Well, its official, I have no idea what the city is doing, you know those new sidewalks that they did just over a year ago? Well they are out and had them marked off and today they spent the whole day cutting concrete. No idea what the red marks were all for. The concrete had not heaved or cracked or mis-aligned with the concrete next to it.

F4CE4D99-3AC2-4136-9785-1661DE5CF8ED.jpeg

92D98506-CE8A-437E-B762-5C7B8A2E7B24.jpeg

Everywhere they have done this I see they have removed a strip of concrete about 6” wide and although they had cut at the one joint (beside the ramp) and then they made one cut at an angle but not all the way, only about 18” in (top picture is that angled cut). From our place they went across the road and there they were cutting a lot more but so far have not taken any concrete out. As I said I have no idea what they are doing but there must be some reason...

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
6 May 2019

Well, its official, I have no idea what the city is doing, you know those new sidewalks that they did just over a year ago? Well they are out and had them marked off and today they spent the whole day cutting concrete. No idea what the red marks were all for. The concrete had not heaved or cracked or mis-aligned with the concrete next to it.

View attachment 145044

View attachment 145043

Everywhere they have done this I see they have removed a strip of concrete about 6” wide and although they had cut at the one joint (beside the ramp) and then they made one cut at an angle but not all the way, only about 18” in (top picture is that angled cut). From our place they went across the road and there they were cutting a lot more but so far have not taken any concrete out. As I said I have no idea what they are doing but there must be some reason...
Intriguing. Your mission, Larry, should you choose to accept it, is to find out what they’re doing and report back. :D

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Well asking the workers is a waste of time. Most from that company are from the Philippian and very thick accents to the point you can’t understand but I don’t think the workers have much idea outside of do this, so they do it...
Yesterday morning they can around with a bobcat and tore out the rest of that section of sidewalk and went away. Later in the afternoon they put forms in and drilled for rebar. Seems kind of pointless to me because when they did the rest of the walks there was never any rebar put in it. They put this pins in which should keep it from missalligning with the concrete on either side and the only other place they used the pins was when they did the wal in front of our driveway.
In any case this afternoon they came around and filled it with concrete so maybe tomorrow they will take the forms out and maybe put the sod they dug up back. The other weird thing they did was come back with their concrete cutter and cut the sidewalk ot either end of the driveway and then filled the slot with a flexible mastic. When they did the concrete there was a joint there but only done with the troweling tool they used so was only an inch or so deep, this cut was all the way though. Either way just made sure that if it was going to crack it would only go that far,
Steven said they did all the way down to the school and as he said almost every one was where the handicapped ramps were done.

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
19 May 2019

Well weather is still acting up. Last couple nights and tonight lows are supposed to be right around zero so a good chance of frost. Highs this week have been around +10 and lows around 0. Calgary had snow warnings but don’t think they got any, just frost. Nice sunset tonight, has not been a lot of nice ones so far.

174FE535-5287-4D11-9E48-04FDBDFB0D07.jpeg

Steven and Janelle drove out to Winnipeg for the long weekend, wanted to go to Ikea and Winnipeg is the closest one to here. They keep talking abut building one here but so far has not happened. I think they had more fun though at the new clearance place in Brandon, looked like it was a decent size and some neat stuff there.

Still not sure why they did that little piece of concrete,buy our house it was the one little piece and they cut and made one expansion joint beside the driveway and that was all. Have not seen the workers around for a few days so am thinking they are done, at least for now.

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
20 May 2019

Well, shock time....
Was trying to find a kid to cut the grass for us seeing how that much walking for me is out of the question. Had a lock on Kijiji and there are about a dozen, some companies that want you to sign a contract for $$$ a month and they decide when to cut, its not like its once a week or anything. The big companies are expensive soI was looking for a kid that wants to make money. Found one and sent a message asking how much because they never tell you. Got a message back an hour or so later and they were talking min of $40-50 to cut it once. The other kids that we had before never took over an hour to cut it so I was shocked but how much. Since when do kids want about $50 and hour to cut grass!
They are going to stop around tomorrow and have a look and give us a price but I might have to go back to Devon and see as he is working only part time. Just have to make sure that he does it the way we want it. But I am sure it wouldn’t be near that. Anyways will see tomorrow,
Otherwise I may borrow Karens power chair and push our mower around with it, would certainly be cheaper then any other way....