• > UPDATE < Thanks to all who've so far DONATED helping us update MobiTog, keep 'em coming please! AND A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog is open for business with some minor stuff on-going... :)

Mobi52 Larry’s Project 52 - 2019

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
20 May 2019

Well, shock time....
Was trying to find a kid to cut the grass for us seeing how that much walking for me is out of the question. Had a lock on Kijiji and there are about a dozen, some companies that want you to sign a contract for $$$ a month and they decide when to cut, its not like its once a week or anything. The big companies are expensive soI was looking for a kid that wants to make money. Found one and sent a message asking how much because they never tell you. Got a message back an hour or so later and they were talking min of $40-50 to cut it once. The other kids that we had before never took over an hour to cut it so I was shocked but how much. Since when do kids want about $50 and hour to cut grass!
They are going to stop around tomorrow and have a look and give us a price but I might have to go back to Devon and see as he is working only part time. Just have to make sure that he does it the way we want it. But I am sure it wouldn’t be near that. Anyways will see tomorrow,
Otherwise I may borrow Karens power chair and push our mower around with it, would certainly be cheaper then any other way....
Wow Larry, that seems expensive. Don’t you have any Boy Scouts near you? You can’t be the only people to want to pay a fair price for a fair job.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
19 May 2019

Well weather is still acting up. Last couple nights and tonight lows are supposed to be right around zero so a good chance of frost. Highs this week have been around +10 and lows around 0. Calgary had snow warnings but don’t think they got any, just frost. Nice sunset tonight, has not been a lot of nice ones so far.

View attachment 145413

Steven and Janelle drove out to Winnipeg for the long weekend, wanted to go to Ikea and Winnipeg is the closest one to here. They keep talking abut building one here but so far has not happened. I think they had more fun though at the new clearance place in Brandon, looked like it was a decent size and some neat stuff there.

Still not sure why they did that little piece of concrete,buy our house it was the one little piece and they cut and made one expansion joint beside the driveway and that was all. Have not seen the workers around for a few days so am thinking they are done, at least for now.
I think that’s a concrete mystery that will never be solved. Did Steven and Janelle manage to find their way out of Ikea? I haven’t been for years but remember it being one way following the arrows on the floor. :lol:

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Kid came around sometime last night and sent me a price this morning, $40 and then talk bout if it needs to go up after that first cut... I contacted about 6 people that were advertising, most were supposed to be around today to look and give us a price but so far nothing. The one guy said $30 and he is going to cut it tomorrow as it needs cutting now. He bags the clippings and don’t know if he gets rid of them or if that is up to us. In either case not a big deal, city has a place to dump lawn clippings, trees etc and they don’t charge you to get rid of it. Another said $35 and Steven found another guy for the same $35 but he was after a contract to cut it ever two weeks. They were saying today on news that normal rainfall for May is around 60mm so far this year they say we have had 2mm so we are far below average. Would be descent out if the wind would go down. Today was mid 20’s for the high but very windy and wind was cool. Not as cold as some other days but still.... I can’t afford to water the grass as water prices the last couple years has taken a large jump so if it rains it will be green, if not there will be some brown in there. Despite the lack of water its still pretty green right now.

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
I expected this 15yr old would be cheaper. I know part of the money is for some school trip overseas but I think if he prices himself that high he will not be very busy. Boy Scouts and them do’t Do anything like that or not here that I have heard of. Well I suppose price is what it is. aren said she was giving Demon 20-25 every time which I didn’t now about or not that high and with him it was run around and if you miss a few strips who cars and don’t come within 5’ of the hose and can’t cut right along the walks and then he wondered why we stopped using him.... This guy is giving us a bit of a break on the price because we are retired and on fixed income. Now if the government would stop screwing around with my pension.... So far since starting pension there has not been two months the same. They claim that back at the start they overpaid me so now they are taking that back but its not the same every month.

Wow Larry, that seems expensive. Don’t you have any Boy Scouts near you? You can’t be the only people to want to pay a fair price for a fair job.

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Well had the grass cut by a guy by the name of Dave. Lot older then I expected, I am pretty sure he is older than I am. Nice guy and first thing was a bucket and a reacher to pick up trash, wrappers etc, then took out his trimmer and did around the trees, or anything else he didn’t want to get too close too. Then mower. Left it maybe a touch longer than I thought but still it sure looks a lot better then it did. He apparently does this part time. He has an autistic child and in the mornings its getting him up and off to school then around 2 or so pick him up and get him home. This is a pretty easy way to make some extra cash and I highly doubt that it is declared for income tax. No receipts or anything, basically transfer the money to him and good to go. He said he does a lot for friends, family and a few other people, mostly seniors or people in low income areas so he keeps his prices down. Took him just over an hour which is about what I thought it would be, bagged all the cuttings and I have not seen them so think he took it all with him. Steven found some really heavy bags downstairs. These are bags that mysteriously made their way here from Sarcan where David works. They are oversized and really heavy plastic and He might have been able to fit all the cuttings in one bag but that I think would be pretty heavy. Last time I filled one was hedge trimmings and leaves and it was heavy enough that I could lift it high enough to get in the garbage bin. In the end I layed the bin down and slid it in then stood the bin up again then hauled it around to the garage. In any case did a good job of it and will keep using him. He I think is somewhat like our old neighbour Rollie, it is something to keep him going and something to do and keeps him outside. And the extra money helps, I figure $30 for an hours work is pretty good. Back when I was working I never made that much until I went self employed and had a really good contract out in North Bay ON where I was getting $55 an hour but out of that I had to rent somewhere for the time I was there.

Lzed

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
25 May 2019

Finally a little bit of rain, not a lot but more then we have ha the rest of the month so far. about 1.5 10ths. Just out an wind is really cold and came back in as it started to spit again. Forecast is rain by one app and nothing in another and another says showers all through the night. Will see by morning if we have have more I guess.

8F6E571D-1306-4D83-A898-E95C42980CDB.jpeg