Larry the App Guy: My App Reviews

Designer Cut Gents Photo Booth by linchpin technologies Private limited
https://appsto.re/ca/VGBn5.i

The following are Brian's FundyBrian comments on AppZapp.
Unfortunately, on my iPhone 6 I cannot select any photos to use with the app. I get a message saying "album not found".
This is probably the only way I will ever have fashionable clothes.

While Brian had issues on my iPad it did work but not without issues.
Save resolution is 1024x768 from the app.
When I opened an existing image (1 I took from his Alma thread :)) it shows a box that I assume it's supposed to fit in. Didn't matter how I tried it brought in the full image.
The cloths can be resized and rotated etc to fit better but the app has no masking so if your body type doesn't match the cloths you see both.
Another is is pixelization... They are not high enough resolution and pixelate with little zooming.
In this case I used Superimpose to blend the two images

View attachment 61251
I hope Brian doesn't mind me hacking his images :D
Ha ha. Quite a coincidence. I chose the same picture to try the Gents Photo Booth app but didn't get as far as you did.

AppZapp has turned me into a serious appjunkie. I'm much more likely to try out a new or temporarily free app than ever before. I have also spent more money buying apps that looked promising but turned out to be duds. But I also delete them just as quickly if they fail to deliver.
I'm appalled by the number of completely terrible apps out there.
I set an alert to show me all the new photo and video apps and I can't believe how many new apps appear every single day. One day there were 47 new photo apps introduced! Unfortunately too many of them are just plain silly and will never be serious contenders. Still there's always the hope of discovering a true gem. Such is the attraction in panning for gold.
It is very clear that photo apps need better guidelines for their write-ups explaining with better precision what they are intended to do. Especially save resolution and aspect ratio. There are a lot of special use apps that relate only to one particular product or service, such as a remote security camera, or a particular photo studio, but it takes a lot of scanning the description to realize that. I remember one app that looked like an interesting photo management app only to discover the app was no use at all unless you were a customer of this particular far away media company and it required a job number and password from their work with you to do anything at all with the app.
There are too many apps inviting people to store all their personal photos in their cloud service in some unknown location and I wonder what their real motive is.

AppZapp has turned me into a serious appjunkie. I'm much more likely to try out a new or temporarily free app than ever before. I have also spent more money buying apps that looked promising but turned out to be duds. But I also delete them just as quickly if they fail to deliver.
I'm appalled by the number of completely terrible apps out there.
I set an alert to show me all the new photo and video apps and I can't believe how many new apps appear every single day. One day there were 47 new photo apps introduced! Unfortunately too many of them are just plain silly and will never be serious contenders. Still there's always the hope of discovering a true gem. Such is the attraction in panning for gold.
It is very clear that photo apps need better guidelines for their write-ups explaining with better precision what they are intended to do. Especially save resolution and aspect ratio. There are a lot of special use apps that relate only to one particular product or service, such as a remote security camera, or a particular photo studio, but it takes a lot of scanning the description to realize that. I remember one app that looked like an interesting photo management app only to discover the app was no use at all unless you were a customer of this particular far away media company and it required a job number and password from their work with you to do anything at all with the app.
There are too many apps inviting people to store all their personal photos in their cloud service in some unknown location and I wonder what their real motive is.
I've turned into an AppWhore ever since I found MobiTog :). AppZapp doesn't help though, only adds to it :)
I have told apple that they need to make changes to how apps are done especially Photo apps but it's like it goes into a black hole and is gone forever.
The apps that really get me are those that require you to log into FaceBook or their own servers. Most of the time anything you post to them is even sketchier when it comes to who owns the image. There again I think Apple should be more concerned but again they don't appear to be. But Apple sometimes is far better for privacy then the Droid world where most apps want access to everything just to install an app but I trust Google about as far as I could throw them. I have a droid tablet one of my sons gave me, has a 5mp camera and takes not bad images but app selection is poorer I found. In the end I hardly ever used it so gave it to a nephew and all he does is live on FaceBook or YouTube...

Hi Larry. I hope you don't mind if I add a review of my own.

"Best Photo Frames 2015" - just appeared recently as a new app.

This looks pretty interesting. (I'm trying to start out positive here). The decorative frame backgrounds are nicely done. Several choices, but not a lot (15). I imagine this could be a source of future iaps although there are no iaps at present. The app has a clean and simple landscape interface layout and all the frame backgrounds are in landscape orientation. There are portrait and landscape frames but all are in the landscape layouts. All the frames are rectangular. No square frames! Wonderful! A couple of the frames are unusually long and narrow, close to 16:9.
It has the usual social media exports.
Saves at only 1214x750 px. (On iPhone 6)
The main problem I had is that when I select a picture from my camera roll (iPhone 6) it was imported as a square. No matter if it was a landscape or portrait image the aspect ratio was warped into a square. The image was not cropped, it was just squashed out of shape. A person in a portrait image becomes quite short and fat and a person in a landscape image becomes very thin. There might be a market in apps to make people thin, but less so to make them short and fat! [emoji12] This is obviously a bug that could be fixed.
Once the picture was imported a two finger gesture could zoom and rotate the image to your taste but you cannot fix the out-of-shape aspect ratio problem. If it wasn't for that you could rotate portrait images to fit the landscape frames, although a couple have features that would look odd rotated 90 degrees.
If the bug is fixed then the app might be fun to have for social posting. The save resolution is too low for usual photo work.
I almost forgot to mention the excessive and super annoying full screen pop/up ads. Grrrrr.

Here's a sample of one of the frames.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1422924773.302026.jpg

Well, there. You see it really is a landscape layout and you would have to rotate the image after export to get it back right side up.

Feel free to post here to.
On my iPad I have the same issue as you have with it fitting an image to a 1:1 ratio.
Save resolution on my iPad 3 is even poorer at 840x640.
Ads, lots of pop-up video ads where you have to wait for it to load and can't stop until 5 seconds.

Redesign Photo by withnamu
https://appsto.re/ca/MQUUX.i
Currently the app is free, regular price of $1.99US
Better yet, right now all the in-apps (3 of them) are also free which means over two hundred filters/effects/textures to play with.
All filters/effects are adjustable for intensity, rotation, flip.
Good set of basic adjustments.
Text and shapes are also in the app.
Max save resolution is 1920x1920 no matter what size the original is.
You can use any ratio image but the app always pads to 1:1 though you could crop it afterwards.
Overall for a free app it's worth getting.

Winter Photo Frame Collage by Do Nam
https://appsto.re/ca/StAl5.i
Brian's Post.... (FundyBrian )
This is sort of cute but only 320x320 output resolution on iPhone 6. I did not find any frames like the ones shown. They don't have the backgrounds shown.
@Briz: (zenjenny )
As if your winter shots need any enhancements

My comments...
@Briz:
Ok, sort of a work around but vastly better...
The app has 32 frames, some of which I really like.
You can add any of the 14 stickers but I see little use for these.
You can add text and uses all available system fonts so a really good selection, size and colour can be adjusted.
No matter if I used a 4:3 or 1:1 ratio image it only previews and saves in an odd ratio, close to but not 4:3.
Now the workaround bit...
Instead of saving in the ridiculously low resolution of 320x257, i thought the preview looked pretty good so instead I did a screen grab and open that in an editing app (edit in Cameraroll) and you land up with around a 1280x1016 image that looks pretty sharp. In BigPhoto I forced it to 2000x2000 (using a 1:1 ratio start image) and it looks quite good and still decently sharp.

Still I would rather the developers would think about things, 320x257 is even too low a resolution for social media and looks horrible which in turn doesn't help their image.

Will see if I can send email to them...

image.jpg

This is what you get out of the app by simply saving, even zooming in a little it looks soft and the frame pixelates.

image.jpg

This is taking a screen grab, cropping, enlarging and forcing it to 1:1.
Picture is one of the first 1:1 ratios I tried.

Lumis - Photo Editor & Stickers by Piriya Tantrativud
https://appsto.re/ca/qiAW4.i
Currently a free app and currently all 200+ stickers are free.
Lots of stickers, many are pretty nice. Can be moved with gestures as well as resized or rotated.
Only 11 filters and nothing is adjustable.
No basic photo tools like brightness, contrast etc.
Borders is one size and look. There are a bunch of standard colours as well as a colour picker. With the colour picker I see no real point to the preset colours. Border is a simple too wide frame so I would never use it anyways.
Text is limited to 20 fonts but can be altered with colour (same pickers etc as the borders). Text can be sized and can be moved, rotated etc.
My 6000x6000 image crashed the app every time.
It worked with smaller images up to 4096x4096 without issues.
Save resolution is the killer for me. Max is 1280 long side or 1280x1280.

It has ads when you save and there is a $0.99US in-app to get rid of them.

Filterra by Filterra Inc.
https://appsto.re/ca/nSDU4.i

Simple UI
No Ads, great for a free app.
Lots of included or free packs but a lot more for sale.
Revived Films, 45mb, $1.99, 5 Filters
Arkitektur, 23mb, $1.99, 12 Filters
Memory Box, 40mb, $1.99, 12 Filters
Nature, 20mb, Free, 10 Filters
Portrait, 20mb, Free, 10 Filters
FLTR Pro, 28mb, Free, 16 Filters
Showroom, 64mb, Free, 11 Filters
Skinbase, 6mb, Free, 5 Filters
Texture, 70mb, Free, 17 Filters
Filmix, 88mb, $0.99, 18 Filters (LightLeaks)
Canvas, 65mb, $0.99, 12 Filters
Letter, 76mb, $0.99, 14 Filters
Aquarella, 73mb, $1.99,
Lights, 46mb, $0.99, 16 Filters (LightLeaks on edges)
Starburst, 45mb, $0.99, 14 Filters
Overflow, 25mb, Free, 16 Filters
Bokeh, 46mb, Free, 18 Filters
Heartbeats, 35mb, $0.99, 14 Filters
Sunbeam, 40mb, $0.99, 18 Filters
FilmFrame, 48mb, $0.99, 14 Frames
Paterre, 31mb, $0.99, 14 Frames (curly-cues)
Loveadorn, 27mb, $0.99, 16 Frames
Moulder, 22mb, Free, 15 Frames
Formations, 24mb, Free, 16 Frames (Shapes)
Original, 21mb, Free, 16 Frames
Stickers, 7 paks, 3 are Free, others are $0.99 each
Bundles
Feels Like Film, 275mb, inc 5 paks (2 of the Free paks) $1.99
StValentines, 5 Paks that are normally $0.99 each for $0.99
Crop tools, inc rotation
Good set of basic exposure tools
All filters, LightLeaks, textures etc are adjustable for strength but textures, LL etc are lacking rotation.
Save resolution is input=output up to 4096x4096
Overall a very good app for free and getting all the free paks adds a lot of content. Best deal is to get the two bundles which adds a lot more for what I think is a reasonable price at about $3.00
All prices are US so will vary on your location.

I was surprised by the number of dislikes on AppZapp.
Only one person chose to say why, in his case the in-apps. But I don't know if he looked to see if there was a bundle.
I would like however to see a single in-app for everything.
Also the size can become a problem quite fast, the one in-app is 275mb and the other is 82mb in size to download and maybe bigger once installed but that may be down to being able to support 4096x4096

The app sadly is portrait mode only...

InstaTint-Artistic Photo Coloring and Sharing-Instagram, Facebook, Twitter... by Flyerlake
https://appsto.re/ca/WyHxP.i

While I like the idea I dislike that the trial version is so limited. Just about anything you want or would like to try you have to pay for.
By default in this version you can load one image at a time and you can have 1,2 or three sections. Each section can only be moved horizontally or vertically but can't be rotated, resized etc. in the free version all sections have the same effect or if you double tap a section each can be different.
Only 15 effects, 2 are B+W, one is a negative, the rest are different colours.
You could if you want load another image and different number of sections and effect but I see little point if you can't resize anything.
In-apps:
Increase the number of slices.
Transform, ie rotate, resize
Background image, instead of the paper texture
Vintage paper Effects
Wasted Effects
Print Formats, 4 different formats
Each are $0.99 US. No bundle or buy all
Effects are colour washes and you can't adjust intensity.
You can adjust the background colour using a circular picker.
It's an iPhone app and portrait only. Still not sure why developers don't make apps universal and have landscape orientation.
No ads at least.
While it says there is a watermark I did not have any when I saved

Save resolution is 1200x900

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Last edited:
KiraKira+ by Kentaro Yama
https://appsto.re/ca/DpQ94.i
5.2mb

A neat little video app. Only records in HD
The free version has banner ads but when you start taking a video they disappear, once you pause or stop the ads come back.
Only the effect KiraKira is unlocked. For the single in-app of $0.99US it unlock all other effects and deletes the banner ad.
The other effects are Twinkle, Airly, Color (video is in B+W except the twinkles are Color), Shine, BlingBling and Glare (diffused Ortonish look to it).

I did a quick video tonight, will redo it later on but this one is handheld and I change between all the effects and slide the slider for effect intensity from bottom to top and back down.
Everything can be done during the video taking.
No option to take a still and no pause, it will save the clip to camera roll the minute you hit the video button the second time.
Over all I like the effect and I think the single in-app is well worth the money.

Video can be seen here:

I only had one issue with the app, on the screen is an icon that I thought was to switch between front and back camera but on my iPad it does nothing and freezes the app. Maybe it will work on the iPhone.

KiraKira+ by Kentaro Yama
https://appsto.re/ca/DpQ94.i
5.2mb

A neat little video app. Only records in HD
The free version has banner ads but when you start taking a video they disappear, once you pause or stop the ads come back.
Only the effect KiraKira is unlocked. For the single in-app of $0.99US it unlock all other effects and deletes the banner ad.
The other effects are Twinkle, Airly, Color (video is in B+W except the twinkles are Color), Shine, BlingBling and Glare (diffused Ortonish look to it).

I did a quick video tonight, will redo it later on but this one is handheld and I change between all the effects and slide the slider for effect intensity from bottom to top and back down.
Everything can be done during the video taking.
No option to take a still and no pause, it will save the clip to camera roll the minute you hit the video button the second time.
Over all I like the effect and I think the single in-app is well worth the money.

Video can be seen here:

I only had one issue with the app, on the screen is an icon that I thought was to switch between front and back camera but on my iPad it does nothing and freezes the app. Maybe it will work on the iPhone.
To what degree are the twinkles created by your movement? If you photographed the same subject on a tripod would the twinkling stop and remain stationary? I see there is a similar still photo app by someone else.

To what degree are the twinkles created by your movement? If you photographed the same subject on a tripod would the twinkling stop and remain stationary? I see there is a similar still photo app by someone else.
Some is because of movement but if for example I het highlights on the edge of glass using house lights the twinkle seem to vary in brightness but not related to pulses in light source, ie if there are more then one twinkle they both change brightness.
I used the window in the front door because it has several types of glass, some flat edges, some mottled so it tends to be more opaque but breaks up the light from the streetlights and passing cars. And the trees move with wind so it always changes the light. But it does give you an idea of what the app does.

There is an called KiraKira (no + on the end) that does similar effects, more options for the twinkle that can be the light points or shapes that look like Bokeh. I posted a picture in my 365 using that one yesterday. GroovyGouvy had an image in her 365 a while ago using a similar app, I think it was called Sparkle but it's not available in Canada, apparently you can only get it from the India iTunes Store... It has a sliders to control how many, size and rotation and you can have random rotation.

There are apps that let you place sparkles or twinkles but you place them one at a time. I like these because they are automatic.

This is a short little video, iPad on a stand, glass with pens, markers and some utensils effect is about 50%. Single 9w LED light in a sconce on the wall about 6 ft away.
Another video of the front door, on a tripod and still light outside. Pretty calm so trees are not moving. FundyBrian had asked if it sparkles if the camera is still and yes it does.

This is a short little video, iPad on a stand, glass with pens, markers and some utensils effect is about 50%. Single 9w LED light in a sconce on the wall about 6 ft away.
Another video of the front door, on a tripod and still light outside. Pretty calm so trees are not moving. FundyBrian had asked if it sparkles if the camera is still and yes it does.
Yes that shows me what I wanted to know. Thanks!

LUZMO by Anon Submoon
https://appsto.re/ca/M9LMO.i
iPhone app, portrait only :(
28.8mb
1:1 ratio only
No ads, no watermarks, no in-apps
Interface is different with a Center preview and 20 filters making a border around the image, below is two rows of effects.
Effects are in category's that you access by tapping the app icon
LightLine has around 140 effects
LightRainbo has 24
LightLeaks has 66
LightUniverse has 66
Bokeh has 70
You can adjust basic Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness or Exposure.
Unfortunately it is let down by having no rotation,scaling or intensity adjustments of any of the effects.
Saves at a poor 640x640
Instead of this app go get the app LikeLight by the same developer....

Lomo Camera - Lomography with analog film for Tumblr by Anon Submoon
https://appsto.re/ca/Mmek5.i
iPhone app, no landscape :(
70mb
1:1 ratio only
Lots of in-apps in this app...
Under Effects:
Lomo, 3 Free, 15 Paid, Retro, 3,12, B+W, 3, 5, Film, 3,13, Leaks, 3,10
Under Filters:
Breezy, 3,9, Warm, 3,8, Cold, 3,8, Lucid, 8 (free for rating though all it can do is go to iTunes Store, you don't actually have to rate it) and Dark, 3,8
To unlock each category they are via in-app for $0.99US
There is an in-app to buy everything for $2.99US
In this app nothing is adjustable outside of the same basic adjustments for Brightness, Contrast etc.
Saves at a poor 640x640

LikeLight by Anon Submoon
https://appsto.re/ca/ZDrF1.i
iPhone app, no landscape :(
1:1 ratio only.
28.6mb
9 filters, adjustable for intensity
Basic adjustments for Brightness, Contrast, Saturation, Sharpness or Exposure.
Tap on the logo in the top left corner to access the effects that are grouped and appear to be similar to their LUZMO app.
Split into Rainbow, Bokeh, LightLine, LightLeaks, Universe and Flag
The big difference with this app is that all Effects are adjustable for intensity (Alpha)
They are also adjustable with one of six BlendModes so you stand a better chance of getting a look that you like.
Unfortunately still no rotation or flipping of Effects.
There are stickers, all are white on a transparent background, can be resized or rotated. They are in groups for Animals, People, Vintage, Dream, Indie and Feather.

This app even saves at a decent 2160x2160 resolution.
I wanted to see how good the Effects and Stickers are and you can zoom in as far as Cameraroll will let you with very little sign of pixelization so in theory you could use an app like BigPhoto to increase the resolution with little effect. I took one image and enlarged to 4096x4096 and only zooming all the way in was there any sign of pixelization.

Even better is everything is included, no in-apps and no ads
I will keep this one for now....

Intazz - post full instasize photos...
By Ashish Sudra

Since I can't stand cropping my pictures into squares I had to look at this one.
Default save resolution is 640x640 but if you go into settings you can change it to 3072x3072 on iPhone 6. It has several patterns or solid colours you can use to fill the two spaces left by placing a square around a landscape or portrait image but the most interesting one is an out of focus version of your photo used as a background. A handy dodge for when you are forced to squarify your photos.

ImageUploadedByMobiTog1425301516.530809.jpg

Intazz - post full instasize photos...
By Ashish Sudra

Since I can't stand cropping my pictures into squares I had to look at this one.
Default save resolution is 640x640 but if you go into settings you can change it to 3072x3072 on iPhone 6. It has several patterns or solid colours you can use to fill the two spaces left by placing a square around a landscape or portrait image but the most interesting one is an out of focus version of your photo used as a background. A handy dodge for when you are forced to squarify your photos.

View attachment 62407
I have several of the squaring apps and only one other will let you have a blurred image. This app even on my iPad will save at the 3072x3072. It also has a lot better choice of border patterns then the others I have.

Penception Pro by Duck Duck Penguin
https://appsto.re/ca/sm8YM.i

Nice app with the procedural brushes (only in the Pro version)
Basic brush or pen
Save resolution unfortunately is only screen grab size so for my iPad 3 2048x1536, wish it was higher but still not too bad
It has layers and you can import an image and draw over it. Only issue is it is primarily a portrait orientation app when it comes to imported images so if you want to work on it larger you would have to rotate it prior to opening.
Menus are also portrait only.
However the procedurals work in either portrait or landscape , ie grass goes toward top of the screen. Most everything else is based on direction of drawing.
Brushes can be any colour and there are both transparency and size sliders.
Right now on sale for $0.99US instead of its reg $4.99
If you have not tried it there is a free version that lacks the procedural tools and has ads.
Also there are a few videos on YouTube.

GroovyGouvy zenjenny FundyBrian I flagged you on AppZapp but thought you might be interested.

Basic brush or pen
Save resolution unfortunately is only screen grab size so for my iPad 3 2048x1536, wish it was higher but still not too bad
It has layers and you can import an image and draw over it. Only issue is it is primarily a portrait orientation app when it comes to imported images so if you want to work on it larger you would have to rotate it prior to opening.
However the procedurals work in either portrait or landscape , ie grass goes toward top of the screen. Most everything else is based on direction of drawing.
If you have not tried it there is a free version that lacks the procedural tools and has ads.

GroovyGouvy zenjenny FundyBrian I flagged you on AppZapp but thought you might be interested.
Thanks! Will have a look right away! :)

Basic brush or pen

I'll give it a try[emoji41]. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom