• > STAY SAFE - WEAR A MASK - or whatever way you choose to deal with this thing! MobiMembers - The situation is still currently serious, & increasing yet again! Heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others. Let's help each other stay sane in our distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt & all our MobiStaff... x x <

Larry's Project 52

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
9 December 2016

Forgot I even took this :)
After I dropped Karen off to get her pump replaced I drove out to Costco and then back. A couple years after we moved to Regina we rented this house for a couple of years. Original plan was to buy it but the landlord wanted too much and there were lots of issues with it. At the time a very good friend of ours was a contractor and he had a look around and pointed out some stuff I had not noticed.

IMG_0627.JPG

Originally built in the early 30's but over the years lots of changes. A bump out and deck were added at the back. The bump out was the new kitchen but fairly small. Layout was a U shape counters with barely enough space between the counters for more than a single person, could not open the oven door all the way as it hit the counter opposite. Originally it was only two storeys but someone decided to open up the attic space and make that a third floor (or fourth if you count the basement) with the master bedroom and an open bath (walls were only 40" high). Stairs were added and took up a bit of space on the second floor. The framing was never meant to have the attic as living space and over the years the floor had bowed slightly, Not enough to bother but created cracks in the walls and was most evident around the stairs.
Down in the basement the floor had some issues. Around here there is lots of what we call gumbo or clay in the soil and with the cold it heaves so the floor was pushed up around the edges, probably there was a good 3" rise in 3ft all around the perimeter. Some of the issues we were having with walls cracking was because some idiot had removed one post to open up the basement a bit but never changed the support beam so in one place the beam was bowed down from the weight above it.
It would have cost 30-40k to fix all the issues and landlord was not willing to talk about price and he was pricing it at the high end of the scale.
Not everything was bad...
All floors were the original oak and the attic they had done in oak.
The two windows on the second floor, middle and left side, was a huge bathroom that had a big soaking jacuzzi tub that would have fit 3 or 4 people.
Huge deck at the back.
Nice neighbourhood and close to school for the kids.
Downtown was only a couple miles away so close to shopping.

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
20 December 2016

Not much of a sunrise this morning to the east, just a bit of orange. To the west and north though there was an even better glow.

IMG_0628.JPG

As you can see, not much snow, doesn't even cover the grass. Most other years we would have had over a foot of snow by now. At least the weather has improved, yesterday it was up to 0 or 32f and sunny so our deck and the back patio started to melt. The next couple days are supposed to be nice and then cooling to about -10 to -15 overnight with -4 or -5 as highs but still much better then it has been.

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
22 December 2016

My chuckle for the day was the radio people saying we are going to have a green Christmas, even though we will mostly have snow.... They say anything under 2cm of snow they consider it to be a green Christmas. Not sure what they are smoking but... My definition of green is, well green :) so if we have snow I don't consider it green.
Yesterday we had a touch of new snow, just enough to look nice and white again. Today was right around freezing and again melting on the south side and on the deck. Took Karen up to Superstore and walking around with a light jacket that was unzipped, it was really quite pleasant.
Yesterday and today the forecast was high wind but we never had any.

And forgot to add the pic...
I have been after my daughter to send me a new pic, she has been having fun with her hair again :) and this morning she sent me this, taken on her iPhone 6+

IMG_0637.JPG

She had sent me a pic with a different pink a few weeks ago that glows in black light, I imagine this will still glow :)

Last edited:

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
25 December 2016

Merry Christmas to everyone, hope everyone has a good day.
This morning Karen's PaperWhites decided to bloom, they are from the same family as Daffodils daffodils. Was looking around online and they say they do well but will only bloom once indoors which is strange. They can be planted in soil but do just as well in a tall vase with a couple inches of decorative rock in the bottom and water. Not sure how long they last but will see I suppose.

IMG_0662.JPG

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
22 December 2016

My chuckle for the day was the radio people saying we are going to have a green Christmas, even though we will mostly have snow.... They say anything under 2cm of snow they consider it to be a green Christmas. Not sure what they are smoking but... My definition of green is, well green :) so if we have snow I don't consider it green.

[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji81][emoji81][emoji81][emoji81][emoji81]

Yesterday we had a touch of new snow, just enough to look nice and white again. Today was right around freezing and again melting on the south side and on the deck. Took Karen up to Superstore and walking around with a light jacket that was unzipped, it was really quite pleasant.
Yesterday and today the forecast was high wind but we never had any.

Sounds more and more like home. [emoji1] same here. Some days ago I've seen three squirrels playing in the tree. Definitely mother and two children by size difference. And I wondered if they are really just some weeks old? [emoji15] Or do they stay with mum a whole year? [emoji15] Or at least more than half a year?[emoji15] And don't they have to be grown up within that many month?! [emoji15]

And forgot to add the pic...
I have been after my daughter to send me a new pic, she has been having fun with her hair again :) and this morning she sent me this, taken on her iPhone 6+

Hahhaah! Cool! [emoji23]

She had sent me a pic with a different pink a few weeks ago that glows in black light, I imagine this will still glow :)

Wow! Great in dark winters, you can spot her moving the iPhone with the torch on. [emoji23]
Happy Christmas, Larry, and to Karen and all your family. [emoji8][emoji318]

[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
26 December 2016

They say we had a little over 100mm or 4" of snow. Going to owe my neighbour a bottle, he was out before me again and cleared our driveway and walks with his snow blower.

IMG_0668.JPG

This was about 4:30 yesterday

We just got the edge of a big storm that went south of us, and we missed the wind. I gather SE corner of the province and southern Manitoba had a lot more snow and high winds with it.

Had a nice quiet supper, only Karen and I and Steven and David with their GF's .

Not doing so great today, had to have our dog put down. Over the last couple months she has become more incontinent and on Christmas Eve stopped eating or drinking. Had the shakes and could hardly move or get up or down stairs. Last night she lay on the couch and lay funny, her spine was arched and her head drawn back and legs straight out and difficulty breathing. This morning we took her to the vet. The said she was in really bad shape and the arched back etc was signs of neurological issues and we could spend several thousand dollars or have her put to sleep. Even if they did everything they didn't think she would fully recover. We have had her 8 years and she was around 18months old when we got her.

Don't know if we will get another.

One of the better pics of her from last Easter
IMG_0674.JPG

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
[emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji23][emoji81][emoji81][emoji81][emoji81][emoji81]

Sounds more and more like home. [emoji1] same here. Some days ago I've seen three squirrels playing in the tree. Definitely mother and two children by size difference. And I wondered if they are really just some weeks old? [emoji15] Or do they stay with mum a whole year? [emoji15] Or at least more than half a year?[emoji15] And don't they have to be grown up within that many month?! [emoji15]

Hahhaah! Cool! [emoji23]

Wow! Great in dark winters, you can spot her moving the iPhone with the torch on. [emoji23]
Happy Christmas, Larry, and to Karen and all your family. [emoji8][emoji318]
[/QUOTE][/QUOTE]
Well our daughter Katina is pretty unique as far as people go. Very outgoing and likes to stand out. Between her hair and tattoo's she makes things interesting.

Merry Christmas to you too.

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
26 December 2016

They say we had a little over 100mm or 4" of snow. Going to owe my neighbour a bottle, he was out before me again and cleared our driveway and walks with his snow blower.

View attachment 85903
This was about 4:30 yesterday

We just got the edge of a big storm that went south of us, and we missed the wind. I gather SE corner of the province and southern Manitoba had a lot more snow and high winds with it.

Had a nice quiet supper, only Karen and I and Steven and David with their GF's .

Not doing so great today, had to have our dog put down. Over the last couple months she has become more incontinent and on Christmas Eve stopped eating or drinking. Had the shakes and could hardly move or get up or down stairs. Last night she lay on the couch and lay funny, her spine was arched and her head drawn back and legs straight out and difficulty breathing. This morning we took her to the vet. The said she was in really bad shape and the arched back etc was signs of neurological issues and we could spend several thousand dollars or have her put to sleep. Even if they did everything they didn't think she would fully recover. We have had her 8 years and she was around 18months old when we got her.

Don't know if we will get another.

One of the better pics of her from last Easter
View attachment 85905

Awww, Larry, soooooo sorry for your loss! [emoji22][emoji25] And that on Christmas! I hope you two can cope soon. Though I don't know her, well, just from the pictures, it's also like a friend has gone. Like with FundyBrian Brian's Woofie. I feel so sorry for you. But obviously you did right to let her go. She'll be happy in dog heaven. Hug you from the deepest bottom of my heart! [emoji177][emoji175]

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I started off last year doing both the 365 Project (which I did do all the way) and I started off doing a Project 52 but that lasted until March :(
So this year I will do a new Project 52.

First image this year is a wild flower that started growing in one of our raised beds this past year. Right now it's just covered with snow.
View attachment 72008

I still have lots of the craft beer left so last night I decided to try this one:
Baltic Porter by the Duck Rabbit Brewery
View attachment 72009

View attachment 72010

I think it's a pretty good beer, strong and very dark.
I like stout so this is also something I will look for again. Karen on the other hand doesn't like dark beers or stout, guess it's an acquired taste. My father liked these kinds of beers so maybe that's why I like them.
I am not following the advent obviously but these pics tell a bit about each beer.

I love porters and stouts and IPAs.........

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
I love porters and stouts and IPAs.........

One of the bigger Grocery stores put in a liquor store only a few minutes from where we live. This store has a very large Craft Beer section and my son's and I have become fans of Craft Beers since they opened. Liquor here is controlled and sold mostly by the government but over the last few years have started lettting other stores carry liquor. Not as open as in the US where most grocery stores have a section in them. Here they are separate, after all you wouldn't want to expose a minor to this wicked drink :) Have always been a fan of Stout and I think that was because my dad liked them so occasionally we had them at home. Our one son bought the Advent Calander for Craft Beer for this year, little different as the beers in this one were all European but he found a couple he really liked so now has to find out if he can get them on a regular basis.

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
Awww, Larry, soooooo sorry for your loss! [emoji22][emoji25] And that on Christmas! I hope you two can cope soon. Though I don't know her, well, just from the pictures, it's also like a friend has gone. Like with FundyBrian Brian's Woofie. I feel so sorry for you. But obviously you did right to let her go. She'll be happy in dog heaven. Hug you from the deepest bottom of my heart! [emoji177][emoji175]

Thank you for your thoughts. I don't like when they suffer. Well I don't like when people suffer either or have no quality of life any more but I digress... We think it was for the best. Sometimes I am not sure why we do this to ourselves, its always hard at the end but we do. We had no intention of getting another dog after we had the previous one put down but our son found Lily on I think Used Regina. The family had a new baby and felt the dog was underfoot all the time and they didn't have time so he bought it and brought it to Karen and that was that. Still its hard when they have been around for 8 years but again her chances of living anything close to a normal life was pretty slim so decided that would be probably harder on us and her. Yeah, if there is a dog heaven I hope she'll be happy..

Lzed

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Larry Zasitko
Device
iPad (Generic)
30 December 2016

Well not the way we thought we would bring in the new year but you just don't know what's going to happen.

Friday morning Karen was not feeling good and had a rough night and up between 3 and 4am. Her Blood Pressure was far to high and she had a tightness in her abdomin and chest and thought she should go to hospital.
OK first issue was the close to 6" of snow over night so I got the snow shovel and cleared a path on the deck, then went out and got the snowblower out and blew out between the house and garage and around to the lift. By 9:30 we were in emergency and we spent the rest of the day in there. Didn't know much of anything until we finally saw the doctor about 10hrs later. In the meantime karen had been on the heart monitor, had her blood pressure and blood taken more than a few times.
Dr said they thought it was a gallstone blocking the bile duct which in turn caused an infection. So they had her on heavy duty antibiotics. Only saving grace I suppose is because of Karen's spinal cord injury she felt the pain as a tightness rather then pain like we would feel. Karen's sister had gallstone issues a few weeks ago and she said pain was extreme.
They said they were keeping Karen in and had scheduled a lot of tests for saturday. Moved her to a bed on a ward around 1:30am.
Saturday was an ultrasound, x-rays and I don't know what else, which showed an enlarged right side of the heart and spots on the lungs and the gallstone.
So they put her on Heparin which is a blood thinner and more drugs and that's really been it over the next few days. Parking is insane at the hospital, ie lack of parking and if you do get a spot the cost is ridiculous but what do you do...
All this past week they have been running a lot of tests and as the infection went down the blood pressure went down some. Spots on the lungs are tiny blood clots and then changed her to warfarin (rat poison, or that's its more common use around here) which is a very popular blood thinner and will be on it for at least the next 6 months. The Galsone moved and isn't an issue but they also will not do surgery (unless its life threatening) while she is on blood thinners.
She has to go on a low fat, low sodium diet which isn't a big problem as we are already mostly doing that.
Has to have bloodwork done once a week for the foreseeable (until doctors say otherwise) and they are talking about having it done by home care instead of us having to get karen to a clinic every week.
Still a lot of questions and few answers.
After a week in the hospital she is feeling pretty much back to normal and still waiting to be let out, maybe tomorrow, or that's what they were saying. In the meantime I am going broke paying for parking there

lisamjw

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
Reaction score
Real Name
Lisa Waddell
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
So sorry to hear about Karen! Hope you get some answers very soon!