Latest Hipstamatic B&W Combinations You Are Using ?

chrisD46

MobiStarlet
Real Name
Chris
May not be my favorite (yet) but here are a few I am experimenting with of late : Sergio + D-Type Plate + Tasty Pop , Vincent + BlacKeys XF , John S + AO DLX + Apollo and lastly Lumiere +AO BW + Tasty Pop ... Interesting to not forget about trying different flashes with these B&W film and lens combinations as the tone and contrast can change dramatically ... Hipstamatic B&W lens and film combinations often take a back seat to color combinations - time to show some Hipstamatic B&W love again ! ... Let's here about some of your recent Hipstamatic B&W combinations - maybe even a lens from a newer pack combined with an older B&W film no one has discovered yet ?

May not be my favorite (yet) but here are a few I am experimenting with of late : Sergio + D-Type Plate + Tasty Pop , Vincent + BlacKeys XF , John S + AO DLX + Apollo and lastly Lumiere +AO BW + Tasty Pop ... Interesting to not forget about trying different flashes with these B&W film and lens combinations as the tone and contrast can change dramatically ... Hipstamatic B&W lens and film combinations often take a back seat to color combinations - time to show some Hipstamatic B&W love again ! ... Let's here about some of your recent Hipstamatic B&W combinations - maybe even a lens from a newer pack combined with an older B&W film no one has discovered yet ?
Well, hello. Nice to see you again. I, for one, am a huge fan of the Hipsta BnW combos. Unfortunately, I‘m very bad at remembering which ones I like. I know that one I like the results of is the Rockstar pak. I’ll have to look for some of the others. I am going to bookmark your post and try those combos out. I’d love you post some of your results and I love the idea of others sharing their favorites here, too. Populuxe ? lkbside Leslie?

I think this image is Rockstar. Is there a way to tell for sure other that just remembering? :rolleyes: It’s Madalena Lens+ Blackeys XF Film+Triple Crown Flash.
1677238512688.jpeg

Well, hello. Nice to see you again. I, for one, am a huge fan of the Hipsta BnW combos. Unfortunately, I‘m very bad at remembering which ones I like. I know that one I like the results of is the Rockstar pak. I’ll have to look for some of the others. I am going to bookmark your post and try those combos out. I’d love you post some of your results and I love the idea of others sharing their favorites here, too. Populuxe ? lkbside Leslie?

I think this image is Rockstar. Is there a way to tell for sure other that just remembering? :rolleyes: It’s Madalena Lens+ Blackeys XF Film+Triple Crown Flash.
View attachment 190107
That’s beautiful. I don’t like the heavy black frame on those lovely delicate lines, but the tone is perfect :inlove:

That’s beautiful. I don’t like the heavy black frame on those lovely delicate lines, but the tone is perfect :inlove:
I’m not sure if that one is Rockstar. I don’t remember the frame around it. But the lines are similar, very delicate, like part drawing, part photo.

I'll be focusing more on the B&W combos I mentioned - then find ssomething worthy to post . I'm not familiar with the "Rockstar" pak but I do have the individual lens , film and flash you mentioned .

P.S. I've been away for a while - back with my Nikon DSLR's for street / documentary photography ... It's really starting to be worn down by the hassle however. I've been detained by police , accosted outside by shop owners and vagrants on the streets - all while being courteous and keeping a neutral , low profile . No one looks twice at me when I pull out my iPhone 12 to photograph street / documentary ... Time to come back to Mobitog for a fresh approach .

I'll be focusing more on the B&W combos I mentioned - then find ssomething worthy to post . I'm not familiar with the "Rockstar" pak but I do have the individual lens , film and flash you mentioned .

P.S. I've been away for a while - back with my Nikon DSLR's for street / documentary photography ... It's really starting to be worn down by the hassle however. I've been detained by police , accosted outside by shop owners and vagrants on the streets - all while being courteous and keeping a neutral , low profile . No one looks twice at me when I pull out my iPhone 12 to photograph street / documentary ... Time to come back to Mobitog for a fresh approach .
Sounds like a war zone :eek: Look fwd to seeing some of your street and/or Hipsta images here again

Maybe it was just the lens, and that’s why I called it Rockstar. I did mention that I have a hard time remembering what does what. :lmao:

An iphone is definitely way more low profile than a Nikon. Will Hipstamatic work with a remote shutter? I know some apps don’t. Or, having been using the Nikon, you’re probably editing after the fact.

I think the above example might be Rock BW film? Maybe that's where you got the name Rockstar.

My most frequent go to BW combo is Jack London, Queen West - very nice with the Standard and Flamingo flash. Very clean.
(For some beautiful examples take a look at @gitti.tagwerk on Instagram.)

IMG_9512.jpg

I'm also quite partial to BlacKeys BW - with and without the frame. I most often pair the with G2, Beard, Watts, Jack London - although its not purely BW.

this is Jack London, BKBW, Std
IMG_1386.jpg

G2, BKBW, Triple Crown
IMG_7836.jpg

I really like Frutiger - but turn off the frame - nice, minimal look - pairs well with Muller, Lucas and the Flamingo flash.

IMG_4674.jpg

For an infrared look I like Scott and Blackeys IR - also good with Frosty for a more dreamy look.

with Frosty
IMG_9767.jpg

With Scott

HipstamaticPhoto-604349588.106042.jpg

d

I think the above example might be Rock BW film? Maybe that's where you got the name Rockstar.

My most frequent go to BW combo is Jack London, Queen West - very nice with the Standard and Flamingo flash. Very clean.
(For some beautiful examples take a look at @gitti.tagwerk on Instagram.)

View attachment 190112

I'm also quite partial to BlacKeys BW - with and without the frame. I most often pair the with G2, Beard, Watts, Jack London - although its not purely BW.

this is Jack London, BKBW, Std
View attachment 190116

G2, BKBW, Triple Crown
View attachment 190117
*We can always count on the "Queen of Hipstamatic" !!

Here is a first one from yesterday (small town historic main street) : Lowy +Tripple Crown + AO BW . I played around with settings to get the tone , look and feel that was present just before storms moved in . The depth of field control was to place a bit more emphasis on the center building while building edges were slightly blurred (border line too much in hindsight but I decided to leave as it added to the analog looking mood) . *Nice to move about freely with an iPhone capturing images again as nobody gave me a 2nd glance ...
Lowy_Triple Crown-AO BW_AW Main Street.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is a first one from yesterday (small town historic main street) : Lowy +Tripple Crown + AO BW . I played around with settings to get the tone , look and feel that was present just before storms moved in . The depth of field control was to place a bit more emphasis on the center building while building edges were slightly blurred (border line too much in hindsight but I decided to leave as it added to the analog looking mood) . *Nice to move about freely with an iPhone capturing images again as nobody gave me a 2nd glance ...View attachment 190216
Nice mood indeed, Almost Tintype. I like it.

One time I really can sit down and play with Hipstamatic is when we go see some music. Everyone is listening and taking pictures, so no one notices me taking 45.
I liked this combo, but not the frame so much. Less BnW and more sepia
70E252C7-8D15-49C4-A939-3475E7C63CA9.jpeg

One time I really can sit down and play with Hipstamatic is when we go see some music. Everyone is listening and taking pictures, so no one notices me taking 45.
I liked this combo, but not the frame so much. Less BnW and more sepia
View attachment 190269
You can remove the frame but I think that makes the tones look a bit different. . Also shake your phone and the frame changes somewhat, I think you can get rid of the smudges on one of the shakes.

You can remove the frame but I think that makes the tones look a bit different. . Also shake your phone and the frame changes somewhat, I think you can get rid of the smudges on one of the shakes.
Can you remove the frames before you shoot or is it an editing sort of thing? Can you shake all of them? There is so much more to Hipstamatic than combos. I have a long way to go!

Last edited:
So chrisD46 Chris and lkbside Leslie, is there a way to look at images by the standard combos, I mean without mixing and matching.

Back
Top Bottom