MobiColour MCC #284 No Theme ends 6/26

I guess my comment may have seemed churlish (as it was me that won) but it was meant to be a general comment about the waning community spirit and the power that these challenges used to have. Maybe as rizole pointed out it was maybe 'a mid-pandemic slump type week' or people have their thoughts on holidays or work or COVID, I dunno, maybe I just piss people off :lmao:
On the contrary, I think you have a very good point John and there is nothing wrong with pi#£ing people off sometimes. I totally didn’t see the winner post so congrats to you and well done to RoseCat and Geek1956 too
unfortunately, few people commit to groups as in commenting But it’s always been like that except for a group I belonged to called IDIG where all members were required to comment regularly. I do t think that would work these days.
Some people don’t like to comment as they think they can’t be constructive enough or they might sound silly. I do exactly that ( the sounding silly bit) and it’s how ive learnt so much, by actually thinking ‘oh god, what a prat I’ve made of myself AGAIN’!
while my brain is running riots as it does, and therefore I miss some bits of what I want to say etc, why not have a comp, like a grand challenge or something, run once a fortnight, where you can submit say 2 or 3 images, but each person entering pays one or two quid. No prize money but any proceeds go to the websites running costs. Just a little electric shock brainwave that electrocuted my brain cell as I was typing this message.

On the contrary, I think you have a very good point John and there is nothing wrong with pi#£ing people off sometimes. I totally didn’t see the winner post so congrats to you and well done to RoseCat and Geek1956 too
unfortunately, few people commit to groups as in commenting But it’s always been like that except for a group I belonged to called IDIG where all members were required to comment regularly. I do t think that would work these days.
Some people don’t like to comment as they think they can’t be constructive enough or they might sound silly. I do exactly that ( the sounding silly bit) and it’s how ive learnt so much, by actually thinking ‘oh god, what a prat I’ve made of myself AGAIN’!
while my brain is running riots as it does, and therefore I miss some bits of what I want to say etc, why not have a comp, like a grand challenge or something, run once a fortnight, where you can submit say 2 or 3 images, but each person entering pays one or two quid. No prize money but any proceeds go to the websites running costs. Just a little electric shock brainwave that electrocuted my brain cell as I was typing this message.
I always prefer a comment to a simple 'Like' anywhere although getting a comment on IG is like seeing rocking horse poop. People are generally more likely to comment here as there is more of a community feel to the place.

As always, these days, I’m suuuuper late to the party. :grin:

Congrats on the win sinnerjohn John! Your image reminds me of the early glory days of mobile photography - very nice! High fives to Geek1956 Kevin in second place! And thank you rizole for my third - so glad you liked my image. :)

I guess my comment may have seemed churlish (as it was me that won) but it was meant to be a general comment about the waning community spirit and the power that these challenges used to have. Maybe as rizole pointed out it was maybe 'a mid-pandemic slump type week' or people have their thoughts on holidays or work or COVID, I dunno, maybe I just piss people off
:lmao:
I have made a concerted + unconscious effort (how is that possible? I dunno) to spend less time on my mobile device. Most times when I go outside to water my garden or feed the chickens or whatever I’m doing I now leave my phone inside (although I’m trying to modify that a bit because I’m missing out on some photo and video ops, like tonight when the 7 brand new ducklings we’re hopping in and out of the pool!!! Wheeeeeee!!!!! They are soooo stinking cute!!!!)

I’ve also started reading a book in bed at night before bedtime instead of being on my phone; and my new(ish) job is busy and I rarely even look at my personal iPhone during the day.

None of these ways of being existed for me three years and more ago - in fact, if you look at MobiTog’s members who have made the most comments I’ve been #1 (and at a ridiculously high level :flushed:) for many years. It’s not a brag nor a negative… it is just a sort of marker that reflects the amount of time I spent on my iPhone, and, well, my love for MobiTog. ❤️ This has been my online home and “escape” from various life stuff for 10+ years.

I’ve been really torn the last couple years - mourning the “loss” of what was (my MobiTog daily presence) yet also relishing the breaking of those mobile device bonds and being a bit more present to life outside the matrix. Not completely though - binge watching shows has sneakily replaced the other obsession. :rolleyes:

All that blather being said… I still feel we have a vibrant community. There has always been a small steady cluster of folks who are here consistently, chatting and posting and laughing and sharing stuff. That group has changed many times over, with a small core of people who have stayed on for years. And there have been peaks and valleys between a sort of manic amount of participation/challenges/topics, and then extended quieter times.

But I find it comforting that no matter how much time goes by you can jump right back in and pick up where you left off. This is most definitely and unequivocally a FAMILY, and I love this place so much. ❤️

I totally
I have made a concerted + unconscious effort (how is that possible? I dunno) to spend less time on my mobile device. Most times when I go outside to water my garden or feed the chickens or whatever I’m doing I now leave my phone inside (although I’m trying to modify that a bit because I’m missing out on some photo and video ops, like tonight when the 7 brand new ducklings we’re hopping in and out of the pool!!! Wheeeeeee!!!!! They are soooo stinking cute!!!!)

I’ve also started reading a book in bed at night before bedtime instead of being on my phone; and my new(ish) job is busy and I rarely even look at my personal iPhone during the day.

None of these ways of being existed for me three years and more ago - in fact, if you look at MobiTog’s members who have made the most comments I’ve been #1 (and at a ridiculously high level :flushed:) for many years. It’s not a brag nor a negative… it is just a sort of marker that reflects the amount of time I spent on my iPhone, and, well, my love for MobiTog. ❤️ This has been my online home and “escape” from various life stuff for 10+ years.

I’ve been really torn the last couple years - mourning the “loss” of what was (my MobiTog daily presence) yet also relishing the breaking of those mobile device bonds and being a bit more present to life outside the matrix. Not completely though - binge watching shows has sneakily replaced the other obsession. :rolleyes:

All that blather being said… I still feel we have a vibrant community. There has always been a small steady cluster of folks who are here consistently, chatting and posting and laughing and sharing stuff. That group has changed many times over, with a small core of people who have stayed on for years. And there have been peaks and valleys between a sort of manic amount of participation/challenges/topics, and then extended quieter times.

But I find it comforting that no matter how much time goes by you can jump right back in and pick up where you left off. This is most definitely and unequivocally a FAMILY, and I love this place so much. ❤️
I totally agree with your sentiment. I’m trying to spend less time on all social media and I’m totally off on Saturday and Sunday, like a long sabbath. I’m not into long comments but I will if I see a photo I really like. I agree with your “family” comment, feels more personal than IG

One and a half pages, six entrants submitting 22 pictures, 15 of which were submitted by just two people.
No theme weeks are often quite popular but it's been a bit of a mid-pandemic slump type week in terms of subs.

My 3rd this week is RoseCat with Melted ice cream abstract. I like the geometry the texture of the icecream and the lushness of the grass, despite a sense of a high temprature coming through.

In second is Geek1956 with Mural during the same sex marriage debate. They look like the same man, just one in a wedding dress. The artist clearly has some skill but this looks more like a clone marriage issue, not same sex. Nice photo. Well timed and framed.

Our winner this week is sinnerjohn. I shortlisted 3 of your pics this week, you've put in some strong images. The 3 listed are Survivor, They are Amoung us and Stranded, I wish I was. I could happily choose any of them but I'm going to make Survivor this week's winning snap.
View attachment 182302
I like the green colour wash. There's a bit of the vintage fake polaroid about it. The single orange flower lifts the whole image and works really well against the green. The symmetry in the heads, the rule of 3, strongs shadows on a mottled wall. That dark botch at the top left echos the shadows below it. The texture on the wall is lovely. Nice work.
Found it! Same section of wall won MCC#76 also No Theme. This wall's been good to me!
f37eb2748a95b37244e195f1ef639a2d.jpg

Back
Top Bottom