Medium article about Hipstamatic history by Lucas Buick, Hipsta founder

A very interesting read:

Great article! Very interesting to read the detailed historical account. Makes me feel a bit less “hostile” (for lack of a better word) towards the new subscription model, although I don’t think I’ll join any time soon.

Reading the article makes me re-state : I have Hipstamatic 300 set up to shoot with the combo I select plus keep a RAW capture image . Of late I find I have been using the RAW image capture which I then edit using Snapseed (mostly) . That said , there are still a few color and especially B&W combos near and dear to me which I still use ... The sheer number of combos is mind boggling - I may go back to random mode again , shoot and see if I can surprise myself . If not , there is a preferred combo I can move the image into or default to the RAW image and edit from there . Perhaps the eternal optimist - when I launch Hipstamatic I still feel that there are possibilities - as long as I feel there are possibilities then I will continue to use it (especially B&W combos) .

I edit. Wish I was creative enough to just creatively be able to shoot. Straighten, crop, tweak. Although I’m a total Hipsta fan I’ve decided not to subscribe to Hipsta x since I pretty much always shoot with the iOS camera and then edit in Hipsta.

I edit. Wish I was creative enough to just creatively be able to shoot. Straighten, crop, tweak. Although I’m a total Hipsta fan I’ve decided not to subscribe to Hipsta x since I pretty much always shoot with the iOS camera and then edit in Hipsta.
I’m sure you had all the combos. I certainly didn’t. I am missing 21 lenses and films so Hipsta X at the cheap price is just about worth it for me but if I had had everything I certainly wouldn’t have upgraded.

Great read, if I’d seen this before, I might have gone for that subscription offer. I’ll always have a soft spot for Hipstamatic but I have hardly used it much this year, didn’t think Hipstamatic X was going to change that. I liked the nod to what I assume was RNI “we are NOT historic preservationists,..”.

I'm not a Hipsta guy, but that was still an interesting read and a very good sketch of life in the software world, especially the number of times they shot themselves in the foot. And I like the sound of what they say they've refocused on, even though it's not something I'm interested in using. Good luck to them.

Not sure if this is new news... but I just bought a lifetime “club membership” for $29.95 USD... for previous Hipstamatic owners I thought it said. Hopefully it’s worth it! :coffee:

Back
Top Bottom