Mindful Photography

I highly recommend the book featured on this website http://www.seeingfresh.com. I think it speaks directly to what you are saying. My heart sings when I see the fabulous photos in the book. To me, the images (and the words) are so very inspirational.

I watched about 100 images from the book in their preview mode. It surprised me the book is from 2011 and the author was obviously exploring this theme in an earlier book. The topic “contemplative photography” opened up new searches.
I think we all occasionally make images similar to the ones in the book except we didn’t recognize what they represented or could find a category to put them in. I have sometimes referred to them as photographer photos since it seems only other photographers understand what is in there while people not visually aware would look at them with puzzlement and move on to something more tangible.
But the message is obvious. We spend too much time photographing “things” just as a record shot and not enough time looking beyond the obvious to see the next layer. Equally obvious, if we are not attached to identifying what we see with labels such as “flower”, “tree”, etc.

Good to know! That’s what I like least about most meditation apps...the iap! This one sounds like you pay up front and your fine.
Yes, I don't do the IAP either. I use either the Ananda app (that I also use when I go go sleep) or I found some nice meditation music videos on YouTube and saved them. I'll set the timer on my iPhone for 30 minutes, play either Ananda or YouTube, silently chant a mantra, and it's perfect.

I highly recommend the book featured on this website http://www.seeingfresh.com. I think it speaks directly to what you are saying. My heart sings when I see the fabulous photos in the book. To me, the images (and the words) are so very inspirational.
Wow, this looks like a wonderful book and so inspirational. Your images would fit beautifully in it Lisa. And some photo examples remind me of rizole and chineezguy Michael’s images. I’m inspired to do more than just snap.:thumbs:

As I look through my photo collection looking for examples of contemplative photos I find they are almost entirely made with my DSLRs. I wonder why that is. I thought I treated my iPhone Photography in pretty much the same way as my other cameras but apparently not.
I know when I’m heading out to do some serious photography I also bring a bigger camera bag and one of my my DSLRs. Today, for instance, Fabi forgot her iPhone at home and was disappointed she couldn’t take some pictures. Usually I would feel strongly about using my iPhone for photos, but today I just handed her my iPhone and said, here, use mine. A couple of times I asked to use my iPhone for a particular photo but mostly I was quite content with the DSLR. Later, looking at my photos, they are different than what I would have done on my iPhone. I’m still sorting through this awareness.

Last edited:
The beginning of an idea.

I find that when I arrive at a place where I sense I have a special interest for photography I tend to stop and look around more carefully. I can already see places I want to explore for photos. This short pause allows me to gather my senses and look around more closely to appreciate the place. I’m already doing some sort of unconscious meditation. Now to bring it into conscious awareness.
57A79F70-4A35-4A19-8EF5-1DA8F08622DB.jpeg

I have come to a point in a meditation book where the idea of making our own meditations has been suggested. This very situation (above) immediately popped into my mind so perhaps this is an idea to follow on the quest for Mindful Photography. I think it’s worth pointing out that one of the key points in this book is mobile mindfulness, as opposed to the formal sitting in some private place, such as your room at home. This is on-the-move, ready to make use of any situation as it comes. Not relying on ideal situations to make mindfulness work for you. That’s why I think it is well suited to photography.

The suggestion is to start with one of the 6 core techniques and modify it to our needs. I ended up using 4.

The meditation could start with core practice 2 - some breath-based concentration - to clear the mind of mental chatter.
Body awareness, or 6 senses knowing, using the focused awareness part to take stock - What do I see? What do I feel? Where does that feeling come from? What is the story of this place?
Knowing my attitude - What is my objective? What do I want to express?
Loving kindness - may I be happy, may I be respectful, may I find inspiration. I started with this one first but I think some stillness must be gained first.

Any thoughts on this idea?

I notice with some locations there is a natural gateway you must pass through before getting to “the spot”. Perhaps a narrow path that suddenly opens out to a vast expanse. Or in the case above, a particular separate area and you depart the endless beach area and strike out for this different part some distance away. You leave one setting behind and transition to the next. During the transition you adjust to the change of scene, and the change of feeling and potential. There’s a different charge in the air.
I think it makes sense to be alert to these natural gateways or transitions and try to take in the unique aspects present, let them speak to you.

Hey everyone! Here's another view (if I may..-;)) I've been practicing a form (?) of contemplative photography called, Nalanda Miksang; based on the teachings of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche and the Shambhala tradition. Of course, you do not need to be a buddhist at all to practice this unique form. (Lisa, the book you're referring to, "Seeing the World with Fresh Eyes", by Andy Karr, is also a Miksang student.) My teacher is Miriam Hall and she and her writing partner, John McQuade, have written, 2 beautiful books about this practice, "Looking and Seeing", Way of Seeing Volume 1 and more recently, Heart of Photography, Way of Seeing Volume 2." The practice in one sentence: "Nalanda Miksang teaches you to make an equivalent image of a true first perception." Sounds simple?!? If you ever have a chance, Miriam often offers Levels 1 and 2 on line through the Shambhala website. I can't recommend them enough! The practice, for me, elevates my image making experience to a completely other/different/extremely subtle level.

Hey everyone! Here's another view (if I may..-;)) I've been practicing a form (?) of contemplative photography called, Nalanda Miksang; based on the teachings of Chogyam Trungpa Rinpoche and the Shambhala tradition. Of course, you do not need to be a buddhist at all to practice this unique form. (Lisa, the book you're referring to, "Seeing the World with Fresh Eyes", by Andy Karr, is also a Miksang student.) My teacher is Miriam Hall and she and her writing partner, John McQuade, have written, 2 beautiful books about this practice, "Looking and Seeing", Way of Seeing Volume 1 and more recently, Heart of Photography, Way of Seeing Volume 2." The practice in one sentence: "Nalanda Miksang teaches you to make an equivalent image of a true first perception." Sounds simple?!? If you ever have a chance, Miriam often offers Levels 1 and 2 on line through the Shambhala website. I can't recommend them enough! The practice, for me, elevates my image making experience to a completely other/different/extremely subtle level.
I’m familiar with several of the people you mentioned but not their photography. Do you have any of your photos in this line you would like to share and perhaps describe what’s behind it?

I’m familiar with several of the people you mentioned but not their photography. Do you have any of your photos in this line you would like to share and perhaps describe what’s behind it?
Thanks for the invitation Brian. We used Flickr for all our Miksang classes. I'll see if I can pull some over and share a bit. I have horrible internet so, it might take a few days ;-//

Thanks for the invitation Brian. We used Flickr for all our Miksang classes. I'll see if I can pull some over and share a bit. I have horrible internet so, it might take a few days ;-//
Hi, Mary. I don't know if you can do this in the Mobitog app, but if you're using a web browser, you can link to a photo on Flickr to have it appear in your message instead of having to download it from there and then upload it here. It works as long as the image is public on Flickr.

On the toolbar at the top of the message composition box, tap or click the icon to the right of the smiley face:
39A9D773-4187-49A9-BB26-93FD8A2D076D.jpeg

and you'll get this:
FF80FE16-0F72-464A-BB58-4F2008783963.jpeg

Paste in the URL of the image on Flickr, click Insert, and you're done.

Great info, Mary! Thank you for sharing. I searched for the classes and noticed that only the level 2 class is currently offered online. Do you, by chance, know if level 1 will be offered again?

Hi, Mary. I don't know if you can do this in the Mobitog app, but if you're using a web browser, you can link to a photo on Flickr to have it appear in your message instead of having to download it from there and then upload it here. It works as long as the image is public on Flickr.

On the toolbar at the top of the message composition box, tap or click the icon to the right of the smiley face:
View attachment 109127
and you'll get this:
View attachment 109128

Paste in the URL of the image on Flickr, click Insert, and you're done.
Brilliant! I'll give it a go!

Great info, Mary! Thank you for sharing. I searched for the classes and noticed that only the level 2 class is currently offered online. Do you, by chance, know if level 1 will be offered again?
Not sure Lisa. I've a feeling this level 2 is following the most recent level 1. Sometimes Miriam will do a few rounds of level 1 through the year. I can check for you.

28812359264_3cf6b86a55.jpg
pool-3004078@N22

Ok, here's a favorite of mine. There are three levels to the Miksang training, which are usually taught separately. In between levels 2 & 3, and perhaps my favorite class, was "The Way of Nature." A pairing of writing haiku/haibun and/or senryu with an image.

He Called To Tell Me
He was calling from the semi-truck to tell me how the divorce was going. He's done this a few times before, calling from the truck and it must be noisy because he's speaking so loud I have to pull the phone away from my ear. There's no room for advice or taking a side or me pouring any kind of emotional fuel on what is already a bon fire. I listen, give him my presence and over in the corner of my mind's eye, I'm giving her my presence too. There are no sides with pain. Just pain.
a break from the rain
an unnamed bird eats the berries
fire needs oxygen.

Of the three levels, practice was broken down into particular focus's; i.e., color as color/pattern and texture, front light/back light. Miksang has everything to do with our view and perception, how we are receiving the phenomenal world. Synchronizing the mind and heart with the world. It is rich and deep. One of my favorite quotes from the first book*, "Intent is the most critical part of entering the Way of Seeing. Intent is not so much a marshaling of practices, it is the discipline of relaxation."

Hope I haven't said too much.

** "Looking and Seeing; Nalanda Miksang Contemplative Photography. Way of Seeing Volume 1
by John McQuade and Miriam Hall.

Last edited:
View attachment 109153
pool-3004078@N22

Ok, here's a favorite of mine. There are three levels to the Miksang training, which are usually taught separately. In between levels 2 & 3, and perhaps my favorite class, was "The Way of Nature." A pairing of writing haiku/haibun and/or senryu with an image.

He Called To Tell Me
He was calling from the semi-truck to tell me how the divorce was going. He's done this a few times before, calling from the truck and it must be noisy because he's speaking so loud I have to pull the phone away from my ear. There's no room for advice or taking a side or me pouring any kind of emotional fuel on what is already a bon fire. I listen, give him my presence and over in the corner of my mind's eye, I'm giving her my presence too. There are no sides with pain. Just pain.
a break from the rain
an unnamed bird eats the berries
fire needs oxygen.

Of the three levels, practice was broken down into particular focus's; i.e., color as color/pattern and texture, front light/back light. Miksang has everything to do with our view and perception, how we are receiving the phenomenal world. Synchronizing the mind and heart with the world. It is rich and deep. One of my favorite quotes from the first book*, "Intent is the most critical part of entering the Way of Seeing. Intent is not so much a marshaling of practices, it is the discipline of relaxation."

Hope I haven't said too much.

** "Looking and Seeing; Nalanda Miksang Contemplative Photography. Way of Seeing Volume 1
by John McQuade and Miriam Hall.
Rog has just got Looking and Seeing for me on Kindle, so I’m really looking forward to reading it. I like your image a lot. I’ve posted an image of a dead bird on Mobi and so has rizole Rizole. Rizole’s image is one that I really really love. Not everybody liked them though. Mine was a sort of homage to the bird’s life and death, but clearly that didn’t come across in the photo. Do you think that it’s important that the images be viewed by others in the same sort of way as they were made by the photographer?

Mindfulness doesn't really resonate with me. I thought I might put my take on it here when the thread started but didn't want to be a negative voice in the conversation but as JillyG has mentioned me.... well I don't need much encouragement.

I've had this conversation with my mate at work. She doesn't identify with it either. She reckons it's because we are both already in a place where mindfulness happens without us needing to know about mindfulness practice. She's a runner. What she tells me about running sounds very much like my experience of photography.....only much more exhausting.

Mindfulness doesn't resonate with me but flow does. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

It's not such a different concept. Flow is also about being in the moment. For me though, its almost about being absent rather than present. When I'm on a roll with photography (or anything) my self dissipates and what im doing becomes present in me. I'm almost literally lost in the moment. My self, my sense of 'I', shuts down and the process takes over.

I have this experience mostly with photography, drawing, coding and back in the day when i was a salesman, selling, but it's not limited to those.

An interesting thing happened to me last year a couple of months before I got hit by a bus. I'd been on mobitog maybe a year or more and had increased the amount of photos i took and processed as a consequence by a very large amount. One day I was walking down a passage I'd walked down countless times before and saw it differently. And everything looked subtly different, something about the scale, size, dimensions, I'm not sure and can't really put it in words but it was a qualitative difference. The quality of my visual world had altered somehow in a small but not unimportant way.

I didn't read too much into it at the time, Ive had mind altering experiences before and just chalked this up as interesting. Then I got hit by a bus and the kind of things I thought about on a day to day basis changed for several months.

My non-concious mind didn't let it go though. More than 12 months later, just a couple of weeks ago now, walking down the same passage where my perception had changed my brain shunted the thought into my consciousness that it was probably just a patch of neurons that wouldn't normally talk to my visual system connecting up because of all the extra practice id got from mobitog.

There's no big revelation from this story. For me, I channel photography, I don't do it, it almost does me. I lose my self and become the moment, the act.

I'll leave this with a picture of the eucalyptus tree I've seen every day for 5 years but which a year ago made the unusual firing of some of my neurons made me go "woah! What's going on with that?"

No edit.
20180505_195843.jpg

Rog has just got Looking and Seeing for me on Kindle, so I’m really looking forward to reading it. I like your image a lot. I’ve posted an image of a dead bird on Mobi and so has rizole Rizole. Rizole’s image is one that I really really love. Not everybody liked them though. Mine was a sort of homage to the bird’s life and death, but clearly that didn’t come across in the photo. Do you think that it’s important that the images be viewed by others in the same sort of way as they were made by the photographer?

Such a great question! My first thought is, I don’t really think about image making that way, maybe because my primary intention is simply the creating and the process of making the image instead of a product. Although I share images and have even made chap books of them, I’m not thinking about how I hope or wish or want another to view/experience/receive the image. After I create something, I don’t necessarily consider it mine anymore (which of course doesn’t mean I’ve lost feeling for it). Everyone gets to have their own feelings about it. I want to keep sitting with your question for a while. ;-))

Mindfulness doesn't really resonate with me. I thought I might put my take on it here when the thread started but didn't want to be a negative voice in the conversation but as JillyG has mentioned me.... well I don't need much encouragement.

I've had this conversation with my mate at work. She doesn't identify with it either. She reckons it's because we are both already in a place where mindfulness happens without us needing to know about mindfulness practice. She's a runner. What she tells me about running sounds very much like my experience of photography.....only much more exhausting.

Mindfulness doesn't resonate with me but flow does. https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flow_(psychology)

It's not such a different concept. Flow is also about being in the moment. For me though, its almost about being absent rather than present. When I'm on a roll with photography (or anything) my self dissipates and what im doing becomes present in me. I'm almost literally lost in the moment. My self, my sense of 'I', shuts down and the process takes over.

I have this experience mostly with photography, drawing, coding and back in the day when i was a salesman, selling, but it's not limited to those.

An interesting thing happened to me last year a couple of months before I got hit by a bus. I'd been on mobitog maybe a year or more and had increased the amount of photos i took and processed as a consequence by a very large amount. One day I was walking down a passage I'd walked down countless times before and saw it differently. And everything looked subtly different, something about the scale, size, dimensions, I'm not sure and can't really put it in words but it was a qualitative difference. The quality of my visual world had altered somehow in a small but not unimportant way.

I didn't read too much into it at the time, Ive had mind altering experiences before and just chalked this up as interesting. Then I got hit by a bus and the kind of things I thought about on a day to day basis changed for several months.

My non-concious mind didn't let it go though. More than 12 months later, just a couple of weeks ago now, walking down the same passage where my perception had changed my brain shunted the thought into my consciousness that it was probably just a patch of neurons that wouldn't normally talk to my visual system connecting up because of all the extra practice id got from mobitog.

There's no big revelation from this story. For me, I channel photography, I don't do it, it almost does me. I lose my self and become the moment, the act.

I'll leave this with a picture of the eucalyptus tree I've seen every day for 5 years but which a year ago made the unusual firing of some of my neurons made me go "woah! What's going on with that?"

No edit.
View attachment 109170

Yea, what is going on with that tree?!? Wonderful image. Great description of your experience. And, we can put an experience into a box and call it whatever we want; and when all is said and done, it’s another magical moment in this incredible past-time we call our life. Thanks for sharing your thoughts!

Not sure Lisa. I've a feeling this level 2 is following the most recent level 1. Sometimes Miriam will do a few rounds of level 1 through the year. I can check for you.
I would appreciate it if you would. Thank you!

No edit.
View attachment 109170
We may only be talking about a different understanding of what mindfulness is. Your later sentence about self suggests to me you connect mindfulness with self and one of the main points of mindfulness is being beyond the self.
I can relate directly to your description of how you feel being engaged in certain activities, like photography, in which you are beyond self. Flow, being “in the zone", feeling at one with the experience. I first consciously noticed that feeling when spending time in nature as a youth, and shortly afterwards, combining it with photographing nature. Really, any experience where my focus of attention is so complete that self-referential thinking is not involved. Perhaps where thinking is eclipsed by feeling. Making things, whether with wood, metal, whatever. Repairing complex things like cameras, making electronic projects. Mentally exploring the internal workings of an engine in 3D while it is running to determine the source of a mysterious noise. Walking in the woods, and yes, running, too, but only when running in a place where life and limb are not at risk, such as traffic or an area of dangerous footing. Kayaking has been a major one more recently, the last few years, feeling the basic elements of earth, sky overhead, bedrock at the edge, water below. Letting go of “seeking ground” is an unconscious part of kayaking I think, where the movement of water can be felt but not controlled, you must become one with the motion of water. I’ve found downhill skiing and driving a motorcycle on a winding country road are so directly connected in feeling.
When I first began reading, hearing, about mindfulness I felt a strong sense of recognition with my most prized activities. Yes, that’s what that is. I want to know more about that. It’s about being part of the experience fully awake, not remotely observing an experience that happens to be done to you, as in a dream state. I am also a relatively recent student of “mindfulness" so my way of describing it is likely less that optimum. My main interest is figuring out whether mindfulness can enhance any of my favourite pursuits. And perhaps improve others I should pay more attention to.
The place I most notice the “I” coming to the fore is in talking or writing where someone asks me, "What do you think about... X ...?". Then I have to explore my experiences, values, etc., and what info I may have accumulated. Otherwise what comes out is what I feel, rather than what I think.

No edit.
View attachment 109170
Moving on to your photo of the eucalyptus tree... It’s an interesting study in what you saw with your 5 years experience with that particular tree, and what I can see in your photo, based on limited resolution, lack of on-site experience, etc. They way you wrote about it suggests there is something specific we’re supposed to be able to see.
I had to study the photo for a while to see anything besides a tree because I also studying the rest of the photo looking for clues. You know what this tree normally looks like while I don’t. I can see that at some point the tree has been brutalized by a machine operator - probably something to do with the street light. That is pretty common around power lines and street lights but I don’t think you wouldn’t have noticed it before. Maybe its something we’ve seen so often that we don’t see it at all? People have complained so bitterly about the disfiguring of trees by the power line crews that I think the crews have required some “sensitivity training” and are being more careful to do a more thoughtful job. I’ve learned to plant my trees far enough away from the power lines so the crews won’t ruin them. However, there are the native trees that are fair game in the power line right of way. I have some fast growing willows that are constantly leaning out towards the wires and if I don’t keep them in line the power line crews will cut them off close to the ground. But they pop up again and witching 5 years will reach the wires again.
I couldn’t see the picture well enough on my phone so switched to my iPad. Even so, I had to zoom in more. I’m not familiar with eucalyptus trees so I don’t know what they are supposed to look like. The sunrise, sunset colour of the light makes it more difficult to tell if the golden bunches of leaves are some natural feature of the tree, for instance brown & wilted flower clusters after blooming is finished, normal leaves coloured by the light, or are simply dead leaves. I’ve seen lots of brown dead flowers on Catalpa trees that from a distance looked like something bad had happened but closer up I could see it was just the old flower clusters getting ready to drop off. But in that case I saw that particular tree often enough that I began to recognize its natural cycle. I also notice the sunny side of the hedge also looks brown so maybe it’s just the colour of the light.
The symmetry of the tree is disrupted but whether by the street light, the works crews trimming around the light to prevent the leaves blocking the light, or something else. How recently was that street light installed? Could the tree have been locally sprayed with defoliant to clear the area around the light?¿ I’ve also seen trees partly dead after the bark has been shredded by a bear’s claws or bobcat, lynx, or bark chewed off by a porcupine, which isn’t very likely in a residential area, or damaged by a careless machine operator. It doesn’t look like the street light is newly installed when such damage to the tree could likely happen. But I remember you said you first observed it a year ago. Perhaps the damage cause to the tree by a machine could have taken some time to show itself before parts of the tree died. Maybe some maintenance to the street light was needed and they pushed the lift machine through the branches to clear the way? I’ve seen trees along power lines sprayed with defoliant to kill them and that effect is fairly quick, just a few days. They wouldn’t normally do that in a residential area.
Zooming-in a lot there seems to be some loose bark on the left? I can’t tell for sure. If I was there in person I could look at those details more closely. That would be an important detail in deciding if it was a sick tree or not. The rest of the tree looks OK. There’s a face on the trunk of the tree with pretty well formed lips but I can’t tell if it is natural or carved there. Mostly the details disappear in pixel jaggies.
If it is, in fact, dead leaves, then a closer look at the leaves might reveal if they are being attacked by insects eating the leaves, or if the leaves show no sign of insect damage then perhaps the flow of nutrients to the leaves has been cut off.
The thing that keeps coming into my mind is trees I have seen that have been close to a fire, for instance where someone was burning a pile of brush, or got carried away with their bonfire, and one side of the tree got cooked. Also trees near a house fire or just next to a forest fire. That one side normal/the other side cooked look. They had a similar look. Yet I don’t see any signs of fire on that side of the photo. The hedge looks normally green, except for the brown area farther back.
So if the golden foliage is actually dead leaves and not a natural feature that means they grew out green, normally, but soon afterwards something happened to the tree, like fire or disease, or serious insect attack in the bark which disrupted the nutrient flow. I’ve seen trees attacked by bark beetles but it usually takes a few seasons for the tree to be visibly affected and it affects the entire tree. I’ve seen trees devastated by caterpillars stripping off the leaves fairly quickly but usually these caterpillars build web-like nets around a cluster of leaves to protect themselves while the focus on eating. A tree can be stripped of leaves an just a few weeks by a serious caterpillar infestation.
I have seen shrubs with withered leaves caused by an unusually late frost but usually trees leaf out late enough to be after the risk of frost has passed. That could happen mostly on one side if wind was a factor. Is the eucalyptus tree happy in that climate zone or is it somewhat outside it’s normal zone? For instance, the catalpa trees I so admired in my parent’s neighbourhood have never done well where I live now because I’m one climate zone colder and the trees I planted suffer too much winter die-back every year.
I’ve seen birch & poplar trees, in years past, where the uppermost leaves on branches reaching above the surrounding canopy would all turn yellow, wither, and die, caused, I learned later, by acid fog condensing on the isolated leaves. Acid fog as it turns out (there was a study nearby) is more than 10x more acidic than acid rain. I’ve also seen trees affected by fungus diseases that just affected part of the tree, but again, theses are usually slow-progressing processes and not as sudden as green leaves coming out normally but soon afterwards withering.
So I’m left wondering, what among the details I can figure out are normal, and what are not, before I rush in to make a judgement based on uncertain evidence.
You apparently saw something unusual that caught your attention, based on your long experience with the tree. How long had it being going on before you noticed? What is the threshold level of different appearance of the tree required to bring it to your conscious awareness? Anyhow, that’s the type of thoughts that went through my head as I studied your photo. Sort of Photo CSI.

I went to iBooks looking for the Looking & Seeing book, which wasn’t there, but the Heart of Photography (way of seeing volume 2 - 2017) by the same authors was there and I picked it up for $11 something (Cdn). 236 pages in ebook format. A lot more text than photos.
I notice what appears to be similar to Beginner’s Mind coming up in their teachings.
I just came across the name of photographer Freeman Patterson in the book. At some point he was considered one of the top 10 photographers in Canada. He has long been (since the 70s) very popular among camera club people in particular. Well known through his workshops for photographers. I have several of his books. I spent the summer of 1977 at his place, the last year he did the full week courses based out of his home on the Kingston Peninsula. It was an exciting summer.

On the topic of ebooks vs. traditional treeware printed paper format, as much as I like books I have trouble finding space for them any more. They end up in boxes in my attic. On my iPad Pro they are always at hand. I find photos that much nicer on a good screen compared to paper since the printing process is more limited in gamut and dynamic range than a screen.

Hey all, thanks for this discussion. Here’s a really lovely video regarding Miksang with Michael Wood. It is a clear and concise introduction to the intention and basic practice. Enjoy!

Thank you for this. I can’t believe how familiar this feels. It brings back so many memories. Except for the meditation aspect it is so much like the teachings of Freeman Patterson. Especially in Photography and the Art of Seeing and Photography for the Joy of it, and others.
Seeing Michael Wood photographing in his back yard reminded me of Freeman’s assignments during the first couple of days of his week-long workshops when he would assign students to photograph (for one hour) certain places in his back yard - the small brick pile, the garden hose, the garden path, etc. I remember the first time how the first 5 minutes felt a bit bleak but that soon changed to a whole range of feelings and I could easily have happily spent hours in that one spot.

Back
Top Bottom