• > Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and your MobiStaff... x x <

MIRA Mobile Prize 2017 - Deadline to enter: March 10, 2017

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Thanks RoseCat - I'm not sufficiently au fait wth the world of mobile art comps to make the link re distorted self-portraits, but I see there's a pretty broad range of expertise and corporate/artistic knowhow. (I'm often surprised at how few women -proportionally - seem to appear on these panels. Mobile art/photography is relatively recent phenomenon - surely it's not that there aren't enough women who are capable/'good enough'?

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Mobile art/photography is relatively recent phenomenon - surely it's not that there aren't enough women who are capable/'good enough'?
I've been in "the scene" since 2011 and it's always been male dominated in the *leadership* roles. There are a gazillion highly talented women out there... this has annoyed me for a long time.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
And I don't have to give him a clue (like 'the first one starts with P') re my 'three words'. Triple plus good.
Jees, John - aren't you glad you've got Mobi-friends?
Hmmm I've never been good at word puzzles Jen :confused:

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Mobile art/photography is relatively recent phenomenon - surely it's not that there aren't enough women who are capable/'good enough'?
I've been in "the scene" since 2011 and it's always been male dominated in the *leadership* roles. There are a gazillion highly talented women out there... this has annoyed me for a long time.
From my point of view I'd say the the Mobile art/photography 'scene' IS dominated by female photographers, which is not a bad thing at all.
But I do take your point that, if that's the case, why is the 'leadership' mostly male?

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
And back to MIRA, I've now had two bounce backs from my email that their mailbox is full. I guess this is what happens when you run a 'free' competition ;)

GroovyGouvy

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
Gouvy
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I've had my confirmation email so it got through despite the initial bounce.
One more question as I'm not sure I understood it right on their page: I name the image with my name and a number like 01 and they do the sorting or do I have to chose the category? To me this wasn't clear. Or the category in the title of the mail? [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
One more question as I'm not sure I understood it right on their page: I name the image with my name and a number like 01 and they do the sorting or do I have to chose the category? To me this wasn't clear. Or the category in the title of the mail? [emoji15][emoji15][emoji15]
Yes, that's how you name your images. I think there's only one category for this: Earth - our planet.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Good luck on entering, they've already decided they didn't want me ;):lmao:

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I finally got a response to my entry just now, so maybe they're catching up on their email backlog at last.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I wouldn't get within spitting distance of the final 50, I've seen who's on the judging panel. Bring on the distorted female self portraits.......
But, geez, John, surely you can't enter DFSP's with this theme?? I'm struggling to find stuff I think relevant (and I don't even do DFSPs). This is fun let's see how many DFSPs end up by getting through. That will totally disillusion me forever.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Question folks. I have found 3 images to submit. Have folks provided titles or explanations in their emails of why they have chosen their images?

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Question folks. I have found 3 images to submit. Have folks provided titles or explanations in their emails of why they have chosen their images?
My trio happened to have a title, and a couple quotes I used with them. But I don't think it's required.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I wasn't sure what to do either. In the end, I gave a title for each one. But I imagine if they want to include an image in the show, they'll ask for whatever info they need.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I wasn't sure what to do either. In the end, I gave a title for each one. But I imagine if they want to include an image in the show, they'll ask for whatever info they need.
That's true. But in some cases knowing the reason why the image was chosen is important. For example, mine are nature reserves or places for nature education. Not apparent by just looking at the photo.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
But, geez, John, surely you can't enter DFSP's with this theme?? I'm struggling to find stuff I think relevant (and I don't even do DFSPs). This is fun let's see how many DFSPs end up by getting through. That will totally disillusion me forever.
DFSP's :D