• > STAY HOME & STAY SAFE! Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and all your MobiStaff... x x <

MIRA Mobile Prize 2017 - Deadline to enter: March 10, 2017

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
A new Mobitog acronym. Works for me. Feels like a new secret society...well, not really but I've been watching too many experimental short videos :giggle:
It will be interesting to see how this one develops...........stay tuned.
I'm surprised jen hasn't jumped all over me for this one :zip:

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Wow, some absolute stunners in there - some wonderful photography/editing and some clever/funny/poignant interpretations. Is there a place where the judges speak to their choices? I'd love to know how they picked the winning image (it doesn't speak to me) .

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Wow, some absolute stunners in there - some wonderful photography/editing and some clever/funny/poignant interpretations. Is there a place where the judges speak to their choices? I'd love to know how they picked the winning image (it doesn't speak to me) .
Some beautiful images.... but I found an equal number to be "meh". So very subjective. [emoji850] It would be nice to learn the judges' thought process but I don't think they provide it.

I'm not surprised Helen Breznick won. She's a long-time mobile photography artist - one of the very first on "the scene". She almost exclusively uses her face as subject matter. I've been in love with her work for years; she's very prolific and her style changes all the time - I'm quite in awe of her creativity. Here's her IG profile - http://instagram.com/helenbreznik (3,000+ images but worth scrolling through to see all her metamorphoses.)

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Some fantastic images there indeed. But I have to agree with zenjenny I don't think the winner is the best.
I'll play devils advocate and say, I wonder how much the judges are influenced by an artists name?
I too have followed Helen Breznick for a long while and greatly admire her work, but looking at the theme there are much better images imho that depict the theme. But is it better to have a winner from the top echelon of mobile photographers for the contest organizers ?
There are the inevitable female self portraits in there Jane Schultz, Katie Teixeira, Kat McClelland, Bobbi McMurry I'm looking at you. And here's me thinking it was all about Earth - our planet ;)
Not saying I'm good enough to win any of these competitions (I'm not) but it does put me off entering if its dominated by the usual people/types of image.
Thoughts anyone?

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Some fantastic images there indeed. But I have to agree with zenjenny I don't think the winner is the best.
I'll play devils advocate and say, I wonder how much the judges are influenced by an artists name?
I too have followed Helen Breznick for a long while and greatly admire her work, but looking at the theme there are much better images imho that depict the theme. But is it better to have a winner from the top echelon of mobile photographers for the contest organizers ?
There are the inevitable female self portraits in there Jane Schultz, Katie Teixeira, Kat McClelland, Bobbi McMurry I'm looking at you. And here's me thinking it was all about Earth - our planet ;)
Not saying I'm good enough to win any of these competitions (I'm not) but it does put me off entering if its dominated by the usual people/types of image.
Thoughts anyone?
Is this the Earth competition?:eek: You're joking? What has a woman in a cloth got to do with Earth? Or am I being too prosaic? I'm astounded. I remember Jason saying the same thing about the other Mobile Art competition later in the year. He recognised the winners and said they always win.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Is this the Earth competition?:eek: You're joking? What has a woman in a cloth got to do with Earth? Or am I being too prosaic? I'm astounded. I remember Jason saying the same thing about the other Mobile Art competition later in the year. He recognised the winners and said they always win.
Sounds like something I'd say, Jason where are you !!
Maybe they interpreted the line – Humans happily enjoying nature ;)

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Yeah, there's a lot of them. Very confusing, and I'm interested to know how those represent our planet too.

I guess you can view it as the cloaked figure bent in mourning, with the trees (earth) in the background. [emoji849]

rizole

IOTM Winner - June 2020
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Mixed feelings on this one. I've looked at the shortlist and found my work wanting. There's stuff there I don't feel I could ever match up to.
On the other hand, this competition was something to do with the earth wasn't it? Load of bollocks. ('scuse the profanity)

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Mixed feelings on this one. I've looked at the shortlist and found my work wanting. There's stuff there I don't feel I could ever match up to.
On the other hand, this competition was something to do with the earth wasn't it? Load of bollocks. ('scuse the profanity)
There are 150 images that are going to be projected (mine is one....just found out today via FB [emoji4]) and I think there are many more in that bunch that are beautiful and fit the theme way more than the 17 finalists (and I didn't even finish scrolling through yet.)

Go figure.

https://m.facebook.com/manuelamatos...20073/?ref=m_notif&notif_t=feed_comment_reply

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran