• > Dear MobiMembers - We are all aware of the current and serious situation the World is facing right now! We will not repeat what is already said, save to say we hope you will all heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others and remain well. As much as we are able, let's all help each other to stay sane in our social distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Much love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt and your MobiStaff... x x <

Mirroring an iPad screen to a Mac

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Too often, I find that an image I've posted that looks fine on my iPad looks not-so-fine when viewed through a web browser on my MacBook or desktop screen. In particular, I can see signs of oversharpening or other overprocessing that didn't show on the smaller (but higher resolution and finer pitch) screen of the iPad. So I've been wondering if there's a simple way to mirror the screen of my iPad to my Mac so that I can look for these problems before I post an image online.

It turns out there is.

1. Connect iPad to Mac using your Lightning-to-USB cable. (This may automatically launch iTunes or Photos on the Mac. You can quit those if they're in the way; they won't be needed.)

2. Launch QuickTime Player on your Mac. It's probably in the top level Applications folder, but you can also launch it by pressing Command-space to open the Spotlight search window and then typing Quick to find QuickTime Player.

3. From QuickTime Player's File menu, select New Movie Recording:

screen1.jpg

4. When the recording window opens, click on the down arrow to the right of the record button in the middle:

screen2.jpg

5. From the menu, select your iPad for the camera:

screen3.jpg

6. From this point on, everything you see or do on your iPad screen will be mirrored to your Mac screen.

NOTE: Do not click the Record button unless you actually want to record what you're doing to a video file. You don't need to record in order to have mirroring.

If Windows users have QuickTime Player (they used to, I think, but I don't know if they still do), this may work for them as well.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I use Reflector 2 to mirror my iPad to my PC. No, it’s not free but about 10 bucks when I bought it. Works great. I use it to make tutorials.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Too often, I find that an image I've posted that looks fine on my iPad looks not-so-fine when viewed through a web browser on my MacBook or desktop screen. In particular, I can see signs of oversharpening or other overprocessing that didn't show on the smaller (but higher resolution and finer pitch) screen of the iPad. So I've been wondering if there's a simple way to mirror the screen of my iPad to my Mac so that I can look for these problems before I post an image online.

It turns out there is.

1. Connect iPad to Mac using your Lightning-to-USB cable. (This may automatically launch iTunes or Photos on the Mac. You can quit those if they're in the way; they won't be needed.)

2. Launch QuickTime Player on your Mac. It's probably in the top level Applications folder, but you can also launch it by pressing Command-space to open the Spotlight search window and then typing Quick to find QuickTime Player.

3. From QuickTime Player's File menu, select New Movie Recording:

View attachment 149595

4. When the recording window opens, click on the down arrow to the right of the record button in the middle:

View attachment 149597

5. From the menu, select your iPad for the camera:

View attachment 149596

6. From this point on, everything you see or do on your iPad screen will be mirrored to your Mac screen.

NOTE: Do not click the Record button unless you actually want to record what you're doing to a video file. You don't need to record in order to have mirroring.

If Windows users have QuickTime Player (they used to, I think, but I don't know if they still do), this may work for them as well.
That’s very handy! :notworthy: