MobiColour MobiColour #279 Theme: Selfie

MOC 279 - Theme: SELFIE
A modern cultural phenomenon, selfies are everywhere. I'm currently doing a presentation in work on the art of the Self Portrait, so I would love to see how mobitoggers approach the theme. It can be posed, funny, accidental, bad, abstract, or wholly professionally presented. I know not everyone is comfortable in front of a lens, myself included, so how will you approach it?
This is a great theme, not the very first time we've done it but I always find it fascinating.
People of my generation think the 'selfie' is for the young, but artists have painted themselves for 100's of years and as its often pointed out, if you want to take people portraits but you have no willing subjects you will always have yourself to practice on.

I find the psychology fascinating, why do we dislike looking at ourselves? Are we always wanting to be thinner/fatter/prettier/more handsome. Are our noses too big, are our eyes in the wrong place and oh those wrinkles! We are what we are, this is how others see us and unless you have a shed load of money, its how you'll look till the end of your days!

I'd love to see your presentation Bill.

This is a great theme, not the very first time we've done it but I always find it fascinating.
People of my generation think the 'selfie' is for the young, but artists have painted themselves for 100's of years and as its often pointed out, if you want to take people portraits but you have no willing subjects you will always have yourself to practice on.

I find the psychology fascinating, why do we dislike looking at ourselves? Are we always wanting to be thinner/fatter/prettier/more handsome. Are our noses too big, are our eyes in the wrong place and oh those wrinkles! We are what we are, this is how others see us and unless you have a shed load of money, its how you'll look till the end of your days!

I'd love to see your presentation Bill.
Thats partly the theme of the show, how humans perceive their own image. I hate how I look on camera, but like you say, this is what youre stuck with, so might as well make the best of it!

My selfies are er, altered.
7A465BD2-CF1C-41C3-B6E8-C34DBAE981E1.jpeg
C440172B-8ADC-456F-AE39-42F3752D47E7.jpeg

Possibly my oldest mobile selfie, certainly my oldest still in production.

me again 2.jpg

Taken by my son on my HTC desire S with one of the built in filters. 2013 I think.
This selfie is what I've used for all my professional/work accounts, blogs, linkedin, everything.
I like it because at smaller scales it looks pretty much like a straight selfie but as the resolution increases so does the "pixelation". I also like that it's likely to fox facial recognition AI yest still remains human readable and, as I'm in a techy role at work, kinda reflects the work I do and passes for reasonably professional. The fact I've used it for everything work related to the point of spam means the less professional work I post elsewhere is less likely to be associated with work.

Wrinkled

3C576739-374E-4D65-B8C1-BD4A86E64ED0.jpeg

Taken and processed just now. My hair is longer now (the previous images were older ones). I photographed some wrapping paper that I’d crinkled. Took the selfie and edited it in iColorama>Brush>Shatter and Explode. SuperimposeX to replace with background with green and then back into iColorama>Effects>Chroma to meld the two, then into Preset>Colors 2. Strangely, somewhere along the line, iColorama changed my eye colour.

Possibly my oldest mobile selfie, certainly my oldest still in production.

View attachment 180312
Taken by my son on my HTC desire S with one of the built in filters. 2013 I think.
This selfie is what I've used for all my professional/work accounts, blogs, linkedin, everything.
I like it because at smaller scales it looks pretty much like a straight selfie but as the resolution increases so does the "pixelation". I also like that it's likely to fox facial recognition AI yest still remains human readable and, as I'm in a techy role at work, kinda reflects the work I do and passes for reasonably professional. The fact I've used it for everything work related to the point of spam means the less professional work I post elsewhere is less likely to be associated with work.
Good one. I like this too. Where’s the one you did of the full face and profile together? I thought that was particularly clever.

Wrinkled

View attachment 180319
Taken and processed just now. My hair is longer now (the previous images were older ones). I photographed some wrapping paper that I’d crinkled. Took the selfie and edited it in iColorama>Brush>Shatter and Explode. SuperimposeX to replace with background with green and then back into iColorama>Effects>Chroma to meld the two, then into Preset>Colors 2. Strangely, somewhere along the line, iColorama changed my eye colour.
Looks like you're floating in a patch of cabbage.......

Good one. I like this too. Where’s the one you did of the full face and profile together? I thought that was particularly clever.
I've lots of old ones I could post but I thought I'd go with new stuff I've not shown here before to keep it fresh.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom