MobiColour MobiColour #279 Theme: Selfie

986BB2D8-9E8D-4241-9DCD-427793D0865C.jpeg

OverCam, Formulas

Well here goes. I should have realised at the outset that this would be a contentious theme, as Sinnerjohn points out mid thread, its a great psychological exercise to see how people perceive themselves, or wish to be perceived. So we have had a game of two halves, or like Rizoles haircut shot, a face of two halves! On the one hand, we have the creative and sometimes comedic shots, but on the other, we have the more straightforward ones. So what I have tried to do is look at each on 'face value' (pun intended!) . So with this in mind, I have chosen my three winners:
1st - 'Performance' by Sinnerjohn
PXL_20211102_215853462.NIGHT_2-01-01_2.jpg

A combination of full face portrait, drama, effect and creativity. Straight away, it caught my attention.

2nd - Haircut - Rizole
IMG_20211025_131221-01-01.jpeg

Two for one with again, a full face portrait, full of character and honesty, but coupled with a second one matted in perfectly to disarming effect. Typically Riz.

3rd - Juryjone - 'She Doesn't Sit for Portraits
07EC3499-A1B5-41A8-ADA9-A6689163460E.jpeg

Jerry is the master of the selfie and this is no exception. What hit me with this was the eerie realism of the photo, but also the pained expression.

But thats not all folks, I also have to highly commend the other side of the submissions, with lovely natural portraits from Younger, RoseCat, Nickleon and JPClicks. Great to see shots straight off the bat, well lit, well posed and full of identity and character.

And finally, thanks to everyone else brave enough to enter, personally I hate having my photograph taken and always shy away from the camera, I'm quite happy behind it.

Thanks again!

P.S - Sinnerjohns brutally frank and powerful shot 'Mental Health' was naturally high in the running too, for very obvious reasons, but despite it being a great portrait, I have intentionally left it out of my selection as I feel it will find much greater merit and appreciation elsewhere.

Well here goes. I should have realised at the outset that this would be a contentious theme, as Sinnerjohn points out mid thread, its a great psychological exercise to see how people perceive themselves, or wish to be perceived. So we have had a game of two halves, or like Rizoles haircut shot, a face of two halves! On the one hand, we have the creative and sometimes comedic shots, but on the other, we have the more straightforward ones. So what I have tried to do is look at each on 'face value' (pun intended!) . So with this in mind, I have chosen my three winners:
View attachment 180608
A combination of full face portrait, drama, effect and creativity. Straight away, it caught my attention.

2nd - Haircut - Rizole
View attachment 180609

Two for one with again, a full face portrait, full of character and honesty, but coupled with a second one matted in perfectly to disarming effect. Typically Riz.

View attachment 180610
Jerry is the master of the selfie and this is no exception. What hit me with this was the eerie realism of the photo, but also the pained expression.

But thats not all folks, I also have to highly commend the other side of the submissions, with lovely natural portraits from Younger, RoseCat, Nickleon and JPClicks. Great to see shots straight off the bat, well lit, well posed and full of identity and character.

And finally, thanks to everyone else brave enough to enter, personally I hate having my photograph taken and always shy away from the camera, I'm quite happy behind it.

Thanks again!

P.S - Sinnerjohns brutally frank and powerful shot 'Mental Health' was naturally high in the running too, for very obvious reasons, but despite it being a great portrait, I have intentionally left it out of my selection as I feel it will find much greater merit and appreciation elsewhere.
Nice job judging, Bill! Congrats to John, Rizole and Jerry!

View attachment 180608

2nd - Haircut - Rizole
View attachment 180609

View attachment 180610

Thanks again!

Wonderful wrap up Bill! Congrats sinnerjohn John!! Well done! High fives rizole Riz and juryjone Jerry! And kudos to the HMs - thank you for including my face. :)

Thank you Bill WOTANICUS and yes it was a contentious theme, but some great entries nonetheless. Who but rizole would actually blend two images of his face together to get a new portrait! And the Jerry special was well......something else!
Self portraiture has always interested me, good days and bad.
You had it in the bag from the off, tbh - so many good shots to choose from.

Thanks and congratulations to sinnerjohn and rizole!

I think any topic has the potential to be contentious, but selfies, because it’s impossible to get any closer to the artist, can easily be abrasive. Mine, because I treat myself as a model, looking for a certain expression, and thus distancing myself from the emotion expressed, tend towards the humorous or more universal. They don’t reveal ME, for the most part. I admire the people who can use photography to dig into themselves.

View attachment 180608

2nd - Haircut - Rizole
View attachment 180609

View attachment 180610

Thanks again!

Congratulations John, Rizole, and Jerry. ( I’m in awe of Jerry’s never ending series of self portraits. )

Back
Top Bottom