MobiColour MobiColour Challenge #232 Theme: NO THEME

So my phone has 12 stonking big megapixels to your 20 smallish ones? I actually thought all megapixels were like the same size, as usual confusion reigns in photography (at least it does for me).
This is interesting and looks to answer this issue. Certainly a good start to choosing my next phone....

This is interesting and looks to answer this issue. Certainly a good start to choosing my next phone....
That's a pretty good explanation. More megapixels captured is likely to mean more detail captured for a given framed scene. (That is, if the lens used is capable of resolving that level of detail.) However, if you cram 24 megapixels' worth into the same size sensor you previously used for 12 megapixels, the photosites (the light gathering receptors) have to be smaller to fit into that sensor space. Smaller photosites means each photosite has less light gathering capacity, so you get a drop in low light performance. You also get more noise in the capture (partly, as the article mentions, because of adjacent photosites being closer together and leaking into each other). By contrast, the 12 megapixel sensor has larger photosites, so while it doesn't capture as many pixels, they should be higher quality (less noise and, I think, better color and tone gradations).

Some smartphones also use pixel-binning as mentioned in the article: For example, a 48 megapixel sensor could combine the captures from 4 adjacent photosites into a single value, creating the effect of a 12 megapixel sensor with larger photosites. I don't know what the advantage of this technique is, but I assume there is one and that the computational part of computational photography does something to attempt to make the pixel-binned 48mp capture better than a straight 12mp one.

I'm several steps beyond my actual knowledge here, so I advise reserved judgement.

41221982-23DD-448B-A33A-0CD97CC8DC4E.jpeg

Blackberries always win in the end
Lightroom, Pixelmator Photo

Last edited:
They should turn into into a bicycle track or one of those wonderful tracks in New Zealand.
Sigh. There's been a battle going on for some time now between those who want to convert it into a hike/bike trail and those who want to restore rail service for commuters to relieve congestion. The problems for both those plans are a) money and b) the rail line was originally for freight and mainly doesn't go where anybody wants to go (hikers, bikers, or commuters).

Back
Top Bottom