Mobile Technology and Leaving The Desktop Behind...

RHKing

MobiAddict
Real Name
Robert H King
Device
iPhone X
174F3E57-8B36-48A2-9DF2-033D81E1D3E6.jpeg

Here is a link to something that I have just finished writing and published to my blog. I have recently sold my iMac and made the move to a mobile only workflow. I hope you all find it of interest...

In an interview with The Telegraph newspaper Apple CEO Tim Cook insisted that “…the iPad Pro is a replacement for a notebook or a desktop for many, many people” who will “start using it and conclude they no longer need to use anything else, other than their iPad.”

This seems to have annoyed a lot of people and got just as many on the defensive about their laptops and computers. What I see as the crucial point that many are missing here is the phrase “…for many, many people…” I agree with him, it’s the way forward for me and here is why…

I have been using Apple products for 23 years. In education, my personal life, my working life and my creative output. The Apple Mac changed my life. There I’ve said it. Not some Apple evangelist, fan boy, geek speak, just a straight up statement about how much a personal desktop computer opened up a wealth of new possibilities for me. However, it is now time to move forward…..

Read the full article on my blog...

Last edited:
I have been using Apple products for 23 years. In education, my personal life, my working life and my creative output. The Apple Mac changed my life. There I’ve said it. Not some Apple evangelist, fan boy, geek speak, just a straight up statement about how much a personal desktop computer opened up a wealth of new possibilities for me. However, it is now time to move forward…..
I could have written this except it seems like I’ve been using an Apple longer. Believe me it was met with extreme skepticism, especially in my own family. My father retired from IBM after 36 years. I would like to sell my iMac also, since I only use it to watch Netflix while I’m working on my iPad, but I can’t seem to quite get myself to do it.

I absolutely am on that same path. :thumbs: Currently I would not give up my iMac because it will soon be my TV/Movie screen. I'm down sizing my living space and in a few months will not have a big screen TV any more, and my iMac will serve that function (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.) I hardly use the iMac any way, am almost solely on my iPhone 7 Plus. If my late 2009 iMac dies someday, I will not replace it but get a newer iPad.

Last edited:
You can get an iPad with Wi-Fi only or with Wi-Fi + cellular radio, so you could make calls on it, if that's what you're asking? (EDIT: It probably wasn't, was it? :zip:)
Half the threads on Mobitog are sadly Apple related, so I guess I shouldn't stick my nose in anyway :lol:

Hi John.
Yes indeed, a lot of Apple related talk. My article could with a few tweaks relate to other platforms. As mentioned in the post the accessibility features are the selling point for me.

Last edited:
I absolutely am on that same path. :thumbs: Currently I would not give up my iMac because it will soon be my TV/Movie screen. I'm down sizing my living space and in a few months will not have a big screen TV any more, and my iMac will serve that function (Netflix, Hulu, Amazon Prime, etc.) I hardly use the iMac any way, am almost solely on my iPhone 7 Plus. If my late 2009 iMac dies someday, I will not replace it but get a newer iPad.
I know where you’re coming from Catherine. I had a few years of living on my own and I opted to not get a TV, using the iMac for watching stuff through YouTube and Vimeoin addition to DVD’s. This was pre Netflix and Amazon Prime.

I've been doing more and more on my iPad and less on my laptop over the past few years. Then again, I retired in 2013 (well, stopped working -- I was a freelancer), so I do less computer stuff and what I do is less complex. All the same, I don't think I could comfortably drop using my laptop at this point for three main reasons:

* Email: Much easier to deal with on the laptop and NO SPAM FILTERS on iOS as far as I know.

* Text editing: Typing on an iPad with a keyboard is not bad, but editing text, especially lots of text, is not nearly as good. Selecting chunks of text and moving them, reordering paragraphs, using regular expression search/replace, getting an overview of what I've done in longer documents... All those are better on the laptop.

* Printing: Printing from iOS is poor and allows only very limited access to print-time features available on desktops.

If my 2013 13" MacBook Pro gives up the ghost, I'd probably replace it with a desktop-bound Mac Mini and give up the mostly-no-longer-needed portability of the laptop in exchange for saving a few bucks.

I've been doing more and more on my iPad and less on my laptop over the past few years. Then again, I retired in 2013 (well, stopped working -- I was a freelancer), so I do less computer stuff and what I do is less complex. All the same, I don't think I could comfortably drop using my laptop at this point for three main reasons:

* Email: Much easier to deal with on the laptop and NO SPAM FILTERS on iOS as far as I know.

* Text editing: Typing on an iPad with a keyboard is not bad, but editing text, especially lots of text, is not nearly as good. Selecting chunks of text and moving them, reordering paragraphs, using regular expression search/replace, getting an overview of what I've done in longer documents... All those are better on the laptop.

* Printing: Printing from iOS is poor and allows only very limited access to print-time features available on desktops.

If my 2013 13" MacBook Pro gives up the ghost, I'd probably replace it with a desktop-bound Mac Mini and give up the mostly-no-longer-needed portability of the laptop in exchange for saving a few bucks.
I certainly couldn't do without a computer - I only have a desktop although it's a PC. My DH has a laptop which I can use if I really need one. I think speed of use with a mouse and keyboard is one thing. Also I'm not much of a Cloud user which is key to going totally iPad . I still prefer to backup onto my own hard drives. Don't like to pay subscriptions for storage which for me goes into terabytes. I'd add to your list:

* Back up, photo sorting and putting into folders for which the iPad is abysmal.

* Accounts: yearly need for a spreadsheet, putting invoices into folders etc etc. Also would take me forever on an iPad.

* Scanning: yes I do have the facility to scan straight to an iPad but all the organisation of said docs is so much easier on a computer.

As you have said, Ted, printing is major. If you could connect large hard drives (not wifi, cable) and print easily to an iPad that would be the game changer for me.

I have to agree with Ann, I'd be lost without a big screen (PC in my case) I do a lot of commenting / uploading to various sites and I'd never be able to do that on a phone. I do most of my browsing on Mobitog on a pc either at work :rolleyes: or at home.
That's why when an image may look ok on a mobile, maybe smaller size, I can really notice the difference on a big screen.
Phones and tablets have made great leaps forward but for me anyway, size matters.

I have to agree with Ann, I'd be lost without a big screen (PC in my case) I do a lot of commenting / uploading to various sites and I'd never be able to do that on a phone. I do most of my browsing on Mobitog on a pc either at work :rolleyes: or at home.
That's why when an image may look ok on a mobile, maybe smaller size, I can really notice the difference on a big screen.
Phones and tablets have made great leaps forward but for me anyway, size matters.
Maybe it’s easier to do without an iMac ;)

Agreed. I have a Dell desktop that is used basically for listening to NPR, or looking up recipes in the kitchen. Other than that the iPad Pro and iPhone are my only tools for just about everything. I have mouse and keyboard already. I use iCloud for storage as well as backing up to my devices at home.
Printing is a royal pain in the mule. Hopefully they address this in 13 if they want to be taken seriously. Apple is dropping the ball when it comes to hardware/software. Like all other manufacturers they want to get to market before the product is tested :(

I need a keyboard and mouse every day.
I'm also planning on building a pc for network attached storage so there's another box on the horizon.

Looking forward to my kids needs, they are all about gaming and a pc, keyboard and mouse beat mobiles and gaming consoles hands down.

I don't think we've even reached peak pc in this house hold yet.

I need a keyboard and mouse every day.
I'm also planning on building a pc for network attached storage so there's another box on the horizon.

Looking forward to my kids needs, they are all about gaming and a pc, keyboard and mouse beat mobiles and gaming consoles hands down.

I don't think we've even reached peak pc in this house hold yet.
:lol: The PC lives! All hail the PC. Here’s me lifting a floppy disk :look: :lol:

Back
Top Bottom