MobiTog - The Story so far...

Venomator

MobiLifer
MobiStaff
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone 13 Pro

MobiMembers have recently asked how Mobitog.com came into being, through to where we are today?

Handily, when our resident wordsmith, (Richardcb) first joined us, he got Rog and Matt to sit down for a press release interview!

So...

The MobiStory:

1. When was MobiTog formed?
The idea was developed in the late Summer/Autumn of 2010 and went Live at the end of October. We launched using SMF - standard website forum software traditionally aimed at the computer/programming generation. You can see the original MobiTog.com 1.0 here -http://www.smf.mobitog.com/

2. Why was MobiTog formed?
We formed MobiTog because we felt iPhones (and other mobile phones) had reached the stage where their following and increasing use for photography was really taking off in a big way and going global at a crazy rate. The iPhone's cameras were producing more than acceptable quality images. Coupled with, or without apps, these images were becoming fantastic pieces of work - and then started the iPhoneography/iPhoneArt debate...

We identified a gap in the market for a purely community based site that would encourage the sharing of, commenting on and learning about producing mobile photography images. There were other websites offering mini tagged-on forums, but these were all 'bolted on' to the side of websites with different primary objectives.

There were lots of places (too many!) for mobitographers to post their work to - but few made little attempt at any kind of community, as this was, generally, secondary to the posting of the images themselves. Flickr, at the time, was perhaps the best example of this - post an image and the comments section was always sparsely used and very rarely, if ever, in real time.

We see iPhoneography and other forms of mobile photography as a very serious medium; one in which people will develop, improve and offer experiences and guidance, on sites like MobiTog and NOT just a "look at what I did!" environment!

In May 2011 Rog & Matt felt the growing MobiCommunity deserved more, indeed we were listening to a membership who were critical of the friendliness of the software we were using. We were finding people were not revisiting the site enough, although some absolutely amazing MobiTography was being uploaded to the MobiGallery but not being posted to threads for comment and discussion.

We did some research with our, then existing 100 members and were pleasantly surprised at the significant level of insightful and detailed responses! The main feedback was that our members felt the site was not very intuitive or visually attractive and they would love to have a branded app to use, preferably not paid for!

Midway through May, Roger and Matt sat down and discussed the options.

We decided then that the website needed fairly heavy investment in new software and a MobiTog branded app.

The field of iPhoneography was, and is still, growing, so it was a bit of a gamble as to whether there would actually be enough demand to warrant this investment. We agonised over all the website software options and how we could produce the app! At the end of May we took decisive action and developed MobiTog 2.0 - which included the new, user friendly, much improved software package and our very own app released into Apple's iOS App Store.

3. Who was involved in its creation?
Three of us - Roger Gilbert (Venomator), Matt Cooper (Smooth) and Matt Hawkins (Matt).Matt Hawkins left us in December 2010 to pursue his growing photography business.

4. What were your initial goals and have they changed?
Our initial goals were to be a MobiTography community offering serious commentary and learning facilities complete with an arena/community centred around this rapidly developing medium. We wanted MobiTog to be one community - with oPhoneArtists, iPhoneographers and everything between, catering for all different skill levels, coming together to share their images and produce and discuss fantastic imagery with like-minded, addicted persons. As the medium is so accessible we wanted iPhoneographers, around the world, to be able to share their world, their life, their iPhoneography and help them, through a friendly, mutually assisting, community life, to develop and enjoy taking mobile photography pictures.

Since starting MobiTog the number of photography apps in the App Store has grown tenfold and is still increasing, so we also now have a VERY busy app discussion and review section!

Our initial goals have developed to include more than sharing and discussion - we now have an equally large apps discussion section, some utterly astonishing community iPhoneography projects and app and processing tutorial sections.

We have now become primarily aimed at iPhoneography and iDevices, purely because they are easily the most common devices used for photography in the mobile world and, iPhoneography, being the first kid on the block in the movement, is extremely large and still growing exponentially.

5. How is MobiTog different to other iphoneography sites?
MobiTog is different to other iPhoneography sites because we are a community, first and foremost, simple.

We are all addicted to the medium and we welcome everyone - no matter what their experience level is or where they are in the world. Our ethos of community sharing and discussion means that everyones opinions and views count and we all help one another further develop our iPhoneography and iPhoneArt skills, experiences and abilities.

6. What does it offer its members?
Mobitog offers its members an enriching, challenging, friendly and constructive community of iPhoneographers and iPhoneArtists who all just get involved. Not to mention there is a phenomenal quantity of absolutely amazing iMagery to browse that is being constantly added to from all the corners of the globe!

7. Why does the group concentrate so much on the iPhone/are other mobile phones welcome?
MobiTog concentrates on the iPhone/iDevices because it is the most pre-eminent camera in the world - the iPhone is now the most used camera for those posting images to Flickr!

The enormous number of photography specific apps available for the iPhone means there is huge variety in the iPhoneography and iPhoneArt work produced with its camera.

MobiTog has always welcomed photography and art from other mobile phones - when we first started the site, the idea was that all mobile photography would be welcome - hence the nameMobile PhoTography. Our branding and app reflects that fact the majority of our members use iPhones and other iDevices.

8. Can you describe MobiTog in a (fairly short) sentence?
MobiTog is THE iPhoneography Community for iPhoneographers, iPhoneArtists and MobiTographers, anywhere in the world to share, develop, discuss and comment on their iMages in a truly global iCommunity of addicted but totally friendly and welcoming iPhoneographers and iPhoneArtists that we are extremely proud to call our MobiMembers - without these awesome people there would not be a Mobitog Community...

9. What does MobiTog think of traditional (i.e. non-cameraphone) photographers?
MobiTog loves them - many of us also own DSLR's! There seems to be this strange 'disregard' for iPhoeography/MobiTography among the traditional photography world.

As a result, some see it as 'us and them' - this is certainly NOT the case with us at MobiTog! We feel that iPhoneography/iPhoneArt and MobiTography is a natural extension of photography and artistry that is very accessible and can be pursued everywhere and by anyone!

The fact that a device you carry with you 24/7 can now capture life in extremely exciting, vivid and engaging ways means your photography is always with you - whether it be planned with a DSLR or when walking down the street with a mobile phone and everything in-between. We believe we will live side-by-side, as an exciting, emerging medium in photography, and iPhoneography will, eventually, be considered by those that currently resist, as a legitimate form of the art of photography.

Continued.../

Continued.../
Footnote: (since 'The Interview')...
Who Pays...
MobiTog is completely funded by Rog and Matt without, to date, any income or contributions from anywhere else. Running costs, so far, have been met from our own resources.
We did not want to clutter, or spoil the community feel by plastering Google Ads, or similar, all over our Home Page or discussion threads. Apart from the fact that most of them are ugly and intrusive we still feel they would seriously detract from the feel of the place.

We have started to consider discussing sponsorship with selected app developers in return fro some sort of presence, but we would still want to stick to our key principles of a nice, clean and welcoming face to Mobitog. App developers may also be asked to sponsor competitions and donate prizes in a similar manner to the FX Photo Studio crew at McPhun have done with their Challenge.
Some of you will already be aware we have set up a RedBubble presence where we have had stunning support from addicted MobiMembers already in the form of iMage donations that are available to purchase in a range of formats from the MobiCalendar to prints, cards, postcards and Tees. these items are sold through MobiTog with the permission of the artists and will make a small contribution each time to Mobitog. These contributions are modest but very much appreciated and every penny or cent will be ploughed back into making your community better still tthan it already is! Our thanks to everyone who has donated their precious and brilliant iPhoneography thus far and to those of you who will add to this growing list over time, THANK YOU ALL!

The Growth Factor...
We certainly do see MobiTog growing, but it must be in a controlled way and, most critically, we must retain the friendly community feel our MobiMembers have come to trust us to maintain.

There are challenges ahead and the pressures that may escalate now we have passed the 500th MobiMember point may increase rather more rapidly, as the iPhoneography world is bound to situp and really take notice of the awesome community, our beautiful membership has created, that is MobiTog... :)

And Finally...
We love you all and we both thank you sincerely, from our hearts, for your continued support and dedication to making this a fantastic community, thank you!

Rog & Matt... x

WOW...this was awesome! Thanks for posting it. So interesting to hear the story (and I always wondered how the name came to be - glad Gareth asked - I think it sparked this thread!) You all ROCK and I'm so proud to be a member here! :inlove:
Oh no young lady, you are NOT getting away with that Ms Restivo... :sneaky:

YOU all ROCK and WE (Matt and Rog...) are proud to have YOU all as members here... :inlove:

And, yes, it was sparked by Gareth's question... :D

Oh no young lady, you are NOT getting away with that Ms Restivo... :sneaky:

YOU all ROCK and WE (Matt and Rog...) are proud to have YOU all as members here... :inlove:

And, yes, it was sparked by Gareth's question... :D
Thanks for the clear and concise answer, well I for one am glad you decided to do what you have created here.
You have certainly "hit the nail on the head" with your offering here.
Free is always good :cool: however I look forward to seeing some "fundraising" challenges and or more projects
like the calender.
Well Done! :thumbs:

This is how the world changes! when people like you guys do things for the love and not for the cash. I would be more then willing to pay to be apart of this community! It has become like home for me, most people pay rent or mortgage where they call home. Either way this community has been a great creative outlet, a place to learn from others, and share life through Photographs not worrying about how or with what it was taken with. I think sometimes that is what is missing in the art world, not to worry about how it was done or produced, but sitting back to marvel in the glory of the finished piece. Love and light to you all

Cryz Imbue said:
This is how the world changes! when people like you guys do things for the love and not for the cash. I would be more then willing to pay to be apart of this community! It has become like home for me, most people pay rent or mortgage where they call home. Either way this community has been a great creative outlet, a place to learn from others, and share life through Photographs not worrying about how or with what it was taken with. I think sometimes that is what is missing in the art world, not to worry about how it was done or produced, but sitting back to marvel in the glory of the finished piece. Love and light to you all

Well said Cryz!

Continued.../
We did not want to clutter, or spoil the community feel by plastering Google Ads, or similar, all over our Home Page or discussion threads. Apart from the fact that most of them are ugly and intrusive we still feel they would seriously detract from the feel of the place.
... but we would still want to stick to our key principles of a nice, clean and welcoming face to Mobitog. App developers may also be asked to sponsor competitions and donate prizes in a similar manner to the FX Photo Studio crew at McPhun have done with their Challenge.

This is one thing I really love about this site. It is clean and fresh, nothing disturbs me here. Thank you very much for your hard work and your commitment!!!

Very cool. Thanks for sharing the story with us.
This is a really cool story, thanks for enlightening me on why Mobitog came to be...... :)
Oh and thank you Gareth for sparking this all off! :D
Ahh so that is the background! Thank you for sharing the story! It has definitely answered some questions I had. ^^
This is one thing I really love about this site. It is clean and fresh, nothing disturbs me here. Thank you very much for your hard work and your commitment!!!
Thank you all so very much for your heartfelt kind words, love and warm sincerity... :thumbs:

We love you all... :inlove:

And remember, it is you and only you that makes it all worthwhile, it is your Community, built and sustained by you all and your love for iPhoneography and your fellow MobiMembers, thank you... :D

Hey all, if anyone is interested and not yet aware, here is the dirt behind the MobiTog Story, so far... :rog:

There will be much more to come lovely people of MobiTog, and that's a promise... :D

Awesome! Thanks for creating a place to challenge & inspire iPhoneography. This place has already made me a better photographer just by the amazing pictures I see posted, and the desire they give me to also post great pics. Best forum/site/online community EVER!!! :)

Awesome! Thanks for creating a place to challenge & inspire iPhoneography. This place has already made me a better photographer just by the amazing pictures I see posted, and the desire they give me to also post great pics. Best forum/site/online community EVER!!! :)
@Knobody - Wowsers, thank you so much for your kind words, we appreciate all feedback at all times, but good stuff is especially welcome... :notworthy:

It is superb to know(body) that our awesome MobiMembership has served you well in the short time you have spent among our community, I am sure we are all enjoying your contributions as well sir... :thumbs:

Anyway, things may just be getting that little bit better at the best mobile photography community, ever, soon (ish)... :D

... spoilers... :rog:

@Knobody - Wowsers, thank you so much for your kind words, we appreciate all feedback at all times, but good stuff is especially welcome... :notworthy:

It is superb to know(body) that our awesome MobiMembership has served you well in the short time you have spent among our community, I am sure we are all enjoying your contributions as well sir... :thumbs:

Anyway, things may just be getting that little bit better at the best mobile photography community, ever, soon (ish)... :D

... spoilers... :rog:

love spoilers..:zip::D

As a new member, this was a great read. I'm glad you did it and I read it. I think knowing this will make me a more involved member as time allows. Thanks[emoji4]
Well hello Melissa and welcome to MobiTog... :thumbs:

Thank you for you kind comments, we are pleased you found our potted history informative and we are glad you joined us and read it... ;)

Please feel free to become as involved as you fancy and have the time for, participation is the best way to enjoy and get the best from everything your new MobiFamily has to offer... :inlove:

And, if you do have a few minutes to spare, please do pop over to the Welcome Section and introduce yourself to your fellow MobiMembers... :D

Back
Top Bottom