• MobiTog Mantra = "Taken with and processed on a Mobile Device" PLEASE NOTE: MobiTog Rule 4. will be applied to all MobiTog Challenges & Contests. Non-compliance may result in entries being disqualified - you've been notified! > For Terms & Rules Click Here <
  • Ynot consider a regular monthly Donation? It's now doable under the Donate tab! (A Donation of just £1/$1 per month will help cover our costs & assist with updates & improvements) HUGE THANKS to all our generous MobiSupporters!
  • NEW MEMBER NOTICE - Need assistance finding your way around Mobitog? > CLICK HERE FOR HELP SECTION <

New MobiZero #8 February 1-29

Starzee

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
MobiZero #8 Challenge

—————————————-

The Rules:

1.) No editing : images must be “as shot” in your camera.

2.) Native camera or camera only app. No filters (ie: Hipstamatic)

3.) Cropping is permitted but no further editing.

4.) black & white or colour.
*Black and white images may be desaturated, only. No filters or presets applied.

5. ) Challenges judged monthly on the last day of the month by winner of previous month.

Please see: Rules & Guidelines for MobiChallenges HERE

The judge for Mobizero is
Kevin Barrett Kevin
1580500584557.jpeg

Last edited:

Starzee

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Attention MobiZero Champions!!
I have created a gallery of the winners up to this challenge here.
Kevin Barrett you can find your stunning sunset here.

Also, I did not create this thread, nor did I set the roolz. I’ve always been a little wary about the whole black and white thing, as using a preset would also change setting and modify the original file. I considered eliminating that from the challenge, but I for one, LOVE black and white images. So, after a many days (a month to be precise) and a few beers. I decided to ALLOW black and white images using DESATURATE ONLY.
I have spoken!
(Of course I’m speaking a squeaky, mouse voice, hiding behind the sofa, so if someone has another idea, thought or decree, please post it.)
:D

Last edited:

Nagaisgich

MobiAddict
Real Name
Carmel
Device
iPhone 7
Attention MobiZero Champions!!
I have created a gallery of the winners up to this challenge here. Kevin Barrett you can find your stunning sunset here.

Also, I did not create this thread, nor did I set the roolz. I’ve always been a little wary about the whole black and white thing, as using a preset would also change setting and modify the original file. I considered eliminating that from the challenge, but I for one, LOVE black and white images. So, after a many days (a month to be precise) and a few beers. I decided to ALLOW black and white images using DESAU+
yes definitely since we aren’t using b&w film, IMO, it must be considered an edit. But it doesn’t change the composition... just the mood. It doesn’t alter individual pieces of the photo, just the photo as a whole. It can’t fix composition mistakes (except the happy mistake of harsh light :). I have no problem adding black and whites here.

there’s also the option to make a challenge where we just have black and white photos that are otherwise unedited. I would definitely find that a challenge because I often work hard on the original first with the goal of making a better b&w out of it :)

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
so if someone has another idea, thought or decree, please post it.
Since you asked... :D

I read the intent of this challenge to be prompting people to get the image right in camera, with no editing after the shot. And I figure the corollary of that is anything you do before the shot is OK, including selecting a preset like B/W. I don't see selecting a preset as any different in spirit than adjusting exposure or focus before shooting. So if it were up to me, I'd say shoot in b/w all you want, as long as you set it up before you trip the shutter. On an iPhone, you can even do this with the native camera app.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel

I read the intent of this challenge to be prompting people to get the image right in camera, with no editing after the shot. And I figure the corollary of that is anything you do before the shot is OK, including selecting a preset like B/W. I don't see selecting a preset as any different in spirit than adjusting exposure or focus before shooting. So if it were up to me, I'd say shoot in b/w all you want, as long as you set it up before you trip the shutter. On an iPhone, you can even do this with the native camera app.
My native camera has no b/w mode so I'd have to use an app to shoot in b/w and I suspect using an app should be deterred in this particular challenge.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I suspect using an app should be deterred in this particular challenge.
I don't see why. Film photographers got to choose what film they were going to shoot with (and lens, and camera body). If the idea is to compose and adjust in camera, why would the app matter?

EDIT: Then again, I don't join this challenge very often because I love to edit, so probably you all should just ignore me. :lmao:

Nagaisgich

MobiAddict
Real Name
Carmel
Device
iPhone 7

The nice thing about presetting the native camera for b&w is then the exposure can also be set. Definitely great shots can happen with a click, ready to post. If only I ever remembered to set them up ... my default is to shoot what I see lol

Starzee

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

My native camera has no b/w mode so I'd have to use an app to shoot in b/w and I suspect using an app should be deterred in this particular challenge.
I don't see why. Film photographers got to choose what film they were going to shoot with (and lens, and camera body). If the idea is to compose and adjust in camera, why would the app matter?

EDIT: Then again, I don't join this challenge very often because I love to edit, so probably you all should just ignore me. :lmao:
This is why I encouraged comments. I’m still trying to find my way with this thread. I agree that setting the camera for black and white in a “standard” camera app is comparable to choosing a film and would be totally acceptable. Even the different settings for native camera, vivid color, noir, etc, can be compared to different films. But in mobile photography, aren’t they all “filters”? How do I differentiate between the native camera sort of app, and Hipstamatic or Bluristc? I want keep it simple, too.
I'm thinking out loud here, sorry. I’ll work on the wording to include “film type” settings and exclude any further edits except cropping. Sigh.....

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
This is why I encouraged comments. I’m still trying to find my way with this thread. I agree that setting the camera for black and white in a “standard” camera app is comparable to choosing a film and would be totally acceptable. Even the different settings for native camera, vivid color, noir, etc, can be compared to different films. But in mobile photography, aren’t they all “filters”? How do I differentiate between the native camera sort of app, and Hipstamatic or Bluristc? I want keep it simple, too.
I'm thinking out loud here, sorry. I’ll work on the wording to include “film type” settings and exclude any further edits except cropping. Sigh.....
I feel your pain Star. I had a similar conundrum with the Black and White Challenge. In the end I just had to say black and white only because it was simpler (and I’m having KISS on my headstone :lol: ). Trying to adjudicate if there’s a dispute is something to be avoided imho.

Starzee

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I feel your pain Star. I had a similar conundrum with the Black and White Challenge. In the end I just had to say black and white only because it was simpler (and I’m having KISS on my headstone :lol: ). Trying to adjudicate if there’s a dispute is something to be avoided imho.
I was thinking KISS when I was typing. :rolleyes: Another thought was to load it off on whoever is judging at the time to make the call. Then I thought of you, moderating the Black and White Challenge and jumping in to tell folks to desaturate and I thought, “That’s what a moderator is supposed to do.” Sigh.......

Nagaisgich

MobiAddict
Real Name
Carmel
Device
iPhone 7
I was thinking KISS when I was typing. :rolleyes: Another thought was to load it off on whoever is judging at the time to make the call. Then I thought of you, moderating the Black and White Challenge and jumping in to tell folks to desaturate and I thought, “That’s what a moderator is supposed to do.” Sigh.......
Would there be enough interest to have a mobizero b&w Challenge?