• > STAY SAFE - WEAR A MASK - or whatever way you choose to deal with this thing! MobiMembers - The situation is still currently serious, & increasing yet again! Heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others. Let's help each other stay sane in our distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt & all our MobiStaff... x x <

RESULT MobiZero #8 February 1-29

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I didn't realize Portrait mode was a filter. My bad.
View attachment 154920
Here is the image with the Portrait/Stage Light removed.
NativeCam
I don’t think that Portrait mode, or Depth mode as it is also called, is a filter. It’s a combining of the view from 2 cameras using the depth map to determine what will be in focus. It is called computational photography, one of the most significant advances in mobile photography.
It doesn’t do any filtering or tonal manipulation, although you could do that in editing of course. The closest comparison would be using a wide aperture on a regular camera to control depth of field. Adjusting the aperture on a regular camera is as ordinary as focusing or adjusting the shutter speed.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Errrr, what edits? :confused: There shouldn’t be any. And the device info is usually under the poster’s avatar.
I don’t mean just in MobiZero. I mean every picture posted on MobiTog. It used to be expected as common courtesy to share your methodology when posting an image.
In the case of MobiZero the same convention applies, except there is less to talk about. But it is still interesting to know what camera app people are using. And if they do any cropping afterwards, or desaturating, what app was used to perform those tasks. Maintain the convention. It can convey useful information for people learning.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
There should be no edits and native camera only in this particular challenge surely Brian?
As I said, it isn’t just MobiZero. It is the convention that applies to every picture posted on Mobitog. If there are no edits then there won’t be anything g to report. It would be interesting to know what camera app was used.
You might decide to pre-crop your image in camera by selecting 16:9 aspect ratio.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Thank you. I needed that. I’ve change the intro to this thread twice already and now I’m going with the original gut feeling I had. :notworthy:
Worry not, Star. I think you are allowing plenty of room for people. I really like the pure idea behind MobiZero. Make your straight shot and show us what you got. Just like shooting slide film. You make your picture and you end up with the result. Period.

If it was up to me I would disallow cropping. Gasp, what?! To me cropping is an after-the-fact second thinking of the image - clearly an edit.

Or maybe you say that you don’t do any thinking at all about the final cropping of the image until later. There’s a picture in there somewhere. I’ll study it later at my leisure and crop it 17 different ways until I discover where it is. For MobiZero you should commit to your framing at the time of photographing and stick to it. No more deferred decision making. Outside of MobiZero go ahead and crop/edit to your hearts delight. To me cropping after the image has been made puts a dent in the fundamental concept of MobiZero.

You always have the option to pre-crop in camera. For instance, zoom in. Or pick a different aspect ratio, like 3:2 or 16:9, if you feel your composition would benefit from a different image shape. Whatever it is, make up your mind, commit to the shot for better or for worse, and press the shutter.
After you have made your MobiZero shot go ahead and make as many other non-MobiZero versions as you like.

However, Star, you are in charge, luckily for everyone else.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I don’t mean just in MobiZero. I mean every picture posted on MobiTog. It used to be expected as common courtesy to share your methodology when posting an image.
In the case of MobiZero the same convention applies, except there is less to talk about. But it is still interesting to know what camera app people are using. And if they do any cropping afterwards, or desaturating, what app was used to perform those tasks. Maintain the convention. It can convey useful information for people learning.
Yes, my bad Brian, sorry. I assumed that everyone in this challenge was just using the native camera in their device and posting the result. I know different now.:)

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Worry not, Star. I think you are allowing plenty of room for people. I really like the pure idea behind MobiZero. Make your straight shot and show us what you got. Just like shooting slide film. You make your picture and you end up with the result. Period.

If it was up to me I would disallow cropping. Gasp, what?! To me cropping is an after-the-fact second thinking of the image - clearly an edit.

Or maybe you say that you don’t do any thinking at all about the final cropping of the image until later. There’s a picture in there somewhere. I’ll study it later at my leisure and crop it 17 different ways until I discover where it is. For MobiZero you should commit to your framing at the time of photographing and stick to it. No more deferred decision making. Outside of MobiZero go ahead and crop/edit to your hearts delight. To me cropping after the image has been made puts a dent in the fundamental concept of MobiZero.

You always have the option to pre-crop in camera. For instance, zoom in. Or pick a different aspect ratio, like 3:2 or 16:9, if you feel your composition would benefit from a different image shape. Whatever it is, make up your mind, commit to the shot for better or for worse, and press the shutter.
After you have made your MobiZero shot go ahead and make as many other non-MobiZero versions as you like.

However, Star, you are in charge, luckily for everyone else.
Point well taken. The original rules to allow cropping, I opted to keep it in. Give a couple of months and I’ll reassess. As it is, I have to re-learn to NOT just point and shoot and fix later or hope to get lucky. I’m thinking others may need that, too. :D

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
This isn’t a point and shoot challenge. It’s a photography challenge.
An interesting comment Starzee directly to me.
Some further reading,
I'd say virtually all (and the type of photography I like most) could probably be described as snapshot.

Last edited:

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Some further reading,
I'd say virtually all (and the type of photography I like most) could probably be described as snapshot.
It certainly wasn’t aimed at you. I’m sorry you took it that way.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Some further reading,
thanks for posting : interesting read. I like the image of the ladies, all decked out in their finery, taking tea. The china would’ve been delicate & beautiful, too. The British answer to the Japanese tea ceremony :thumbs:

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Some further reading,
Time to update that to tapshot.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Rana sylvatica
1166D307-C29C-4306-AC52-9C9D1843ED25.jpeg

This is the end of one of the flutes I have made. It is a Yellow Birch branch flute and my first flute made with tuning holes, which means there are 2 or 3 inches at the end of flute that are not part of the sound column. Which means I am free to change the shape or carve something, like a wood frog in this case, without it affecting the sound. I’m enjoying making physical objects, musical instruments, that don’t only exist in the digital world.
Photographed with CameraPixels. I used the 2x lens in close to throw the background a bit more out of focus. That close I also needed a close-up lens to get it in focus. No crop.

Nagaisgich

MobiPassionista
Reaction score
Real Name
Carmel
Device
iPhone 7
Rana sylvatica
View attachment 155094
This is the end of one of the flutes I have made. It is a Yellow Birch branch flute and my first flute made with tuning holes, which means there are 2 or 3 inches at the end of flute that are not part of the sound column. Which means I am free to change the shape or carve something, like a wood frog in this case, without it affecting the sound. I’m enjoying making physical objects, musical instruments, that don’t only exist in the digital world.
Photographed with CameraPixels. I used the 2x lens in close to throw the background a bit more out of focus. That close I also needed a close-up lens to get it in focus. No crop.
Son as I saw those lips I knew it was a tree frog :D

younger

MobiLurver
Reaction score
Real Name
Juliana
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
Rana sylvatica
View attachment 155094
Wow :thumbs:

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
More interesting reading re snapshot (or as Brian would have it tapshot!)

Interesting, indeed. Surfing the links, I discovered that Yves Klein was ‘a temerarious figure in the art world’ who, amongst other ‘avant-garde high jinks’, ‘harnessed the inherent malleability of the medium’s veracity’, immortalised himself ‘in curvilinear form’ and ‘registered his own ultramarine pigment‘.

Who knew?

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Reaction score
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Interesting, indeed. Surfing the links, I discovered that Yves Klein was ‘a temerarious figure in the art world’ who, amongst other ‘avant-garde high jinks’, ‘harnessed the inherent malleability of the medium’s veracity’, immortalised himself ‘in curvilinear form’ and ‘registered his own ultramarine pigment‘.

Who knew?
another WTF moment :lmao:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Reaction score
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

Who knew?
Pseuds Corner. :lmao:

zenjenny

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Rana sylvatica
View attachment 155094
This is the end of one of the flutes I have made. It is a Yellow Birch branch flute and my first flute made with tuning holes, which means there are 2 or 3 inches at the end of flute that are not part of the sound column. Which means I am free to change the shape or carve something, like a wood frog in this case, without it affecting the sound. I’m
beautiful. Seems you have become interested and then very competent in this art form almost simultaneously! Are you also playing? Would you post an image sometime of all your flutes/flutes-in-progress? (And a sound file of you playing? Please and thank you :D)