• > STAY SAFE - WEAR A MASK - or whatever way you choose to deal with this thing! MobiMembers - The situation is still currently serious, & increasing yet again! Heed the warnings, stay safe, look after yourselves and others. Let's help each other stay sane in our distancing/isolation and face this thing down. Love 'n hugs, Rog, Matt & all our MobiStaff... x x <

RESULT MobiZero Challenge #7 1/1-1/31

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Gosh, it seems like January lasted forever! Finally we’ve reached the February Eve and it’s time to close this thread. I don’t envy FundyBrian Brian his job of judging! Anytime your ready, Brian. You’ve got a month. A short month but a month none the less.

You can find the new Mobizero thread here. And for those of us in the northern hemisphere, we are one month closer to spring!!! (Apologies to the skiers, snowshoers and snow lovers in the group)

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’m relieved to see that a whole month did not overload me with a landslide of photos to evaluate. The January MobiZero contains a diverse collection of great images.
One of the things that makes MobiZero a challenge is, not just finding something inspiring to photograph, but also nailing the technical aspects, such as colour balance, and exposure challenges, in one exposure.

My three favourite images arrived one after the other early in the month.
My number one favourite is @Kevin Barrett’s masterful snow scene: textures highlights beautifully preserved. I don’t have to extol the virtues of this image. They are obvious enough.
C7EF72A0-35A7-4CD4-B062-84C0A6B543F8.jpeg

My two seconds, in no order, are Ranunculus and Friend by dscheff....
7777B57C-F9F4-462F-AA35-9DAE1A7CE295.jpeg

Preserving delicate highlight detail with a black background means you know what you’re doing exposure-wise.
Nicely controlled soft lighting. Jeffrey has worked hard to get his flower images to his liking. I’m almost tempted to see if the scent has been captured, too.

... & the row of pay phones out of time by RoseCat.
14F95E8A-C2E4-46F3-8D54-19431D6F8A54.jpeg

Here’s the result of some excellent seeing. A moment out of time. At busy airports people are often too caught up in travel dramas to really see their surroundings. If they do notice something interesting they just keep walking without making a picture. The image itself is striking enough. It could just as easily be 1990. In 2020 this is just too strange. Catherine, are you sure this wasn’t some sort of portal?

So there you have it. Kevin, looks like you’re the judge for February.

Starzee

IOTM Winner - July 2020
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’m relieved to see that a whole month did not overload me with a landslide of photos to evaluate. The January MobiZero contains a diverse collection of great images.
One of the things that makes MobiZero a challenge is, not just finding something inspiring to photograph, but also nailing the technical aspects, such as colour balance, and exposure challenges, in one exposure.

My number one favourite is @Kevin Barrett’s masterful snow scene: textures highlights beautifully preserved. I don’t have to extol the virtues of this image. They are obvious enough.
View attachment 154708

View attachment 154710
Preserving delicate highlight detail with a black background means you know what you’re doing exposure-wise.
Nicely controlled soft lighting. Jeffrey has worked hard to get his flower images to his liking. I’m almost tempted to see if the scent has been captured, too.

View attachment 154711
Here’s the result of some excellent seeing. A moment out of time. At busy airports people are often too caught up in travel dramas to really see their surroundings. If they do notice something interesting they just keep walking without making a picture. The image itself is striking enough. It could just as easily be 1990. In 2020 this is just too strange. Catherine, are you sure this wasn’t some sort of portal?

Well done, Brian. Your analysis of your favorites were spot on and it is a point well made. An image to be exhibited without editing has to be thought out or super lucky. Congratulations to Kevin Barrett our judge for Mobizero #8. Nice work dscheff Jeff and RoseCat Catherine!!!! I’m heading over to add Kevin to Mobitzero #8!

RoseCat

MobiStaff
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus

View attachment 154708

View attachment 154710

View attachment 154711

Nicely done, Brian! Great choices... congrats Kevin Barrett ! And thank you for choosing my image, along side dscheff Jeffrey’s beauty. :)

The image itself is striking enough. It could just as easily be 1990. In 2020 this is just too strange. Catherine, are you sure this wasn’t some sort of portal?
This phone bank is from the 50s/60s, leftover (and still working!) from the original TWA terminal at JFK airport, so yeah, I’d say a type of portal for sure! :D

Nagaisgich

MobiPassionista
Reaction score
Real Name
Carmel
Device
iPhone 7

View attachment 154708

View attachment 154710

View attachment 154711

Beautiful choices.

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Nicely done, Brian! Great choices... congrats Kevin Barrett ! And thank you for choosing my image, along side dscheff Jeffrey’s beauty. :)

This phone bank is from the 50s/60s, leftover (and still working!) from the original TWA terminal at JFK airport, so yeah, I’d say a type of portal for sure! :D
Shows how much I know about pay phones, wrt the actual time period. I was going to comment about the 10 cent signs on each phone.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365

View attachment 154708

View attachment 154710

View attachment 154711

Great judging Brian. Love all those images. Well done, Kevin and your still lifes are superb, Jeffrey and another classic from Catherine!

FundyBrian

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
MobiSupporter
Reaction score
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I can’t tell you how much pleasure I got holding the receiver and dialing a number, and the sound the dial made. It was the highlight of my day!
I’ve got one of those old black Bakelite dial phones here in a box somewhere. We used is as a prop in a dinner theatre play some time ago. I was the lighting person. I also had to get the phone to ring on stage. It certainly is a distinctive sound.
Well that brings back memories. We had Bayside Theatre going for 5 or 6 years and had lots of fun. The Seawinds restaurant was one of our main venues.