• Please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU to all our generous & supportive MobiMembers!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

RESULT MobiZero Challenge : The Second Edition

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I made this photo using ScanCamera.
DE5815CD-4244-4BDC-84CB-F0E4E6BE9C9C.jpeg

This is full frame un-cropped. This is the Native format for ScanCamera. Shot on tripod.

FA89DD31-0C65-4461-A77E-0D9493C7B4CF.jpeg

This photo was made exactly the same way except a little breeze moved the flowers at one time during the exposure.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
View attachment 148745

We went to a 40th celebration last night at a farm. The bonfire was the centrepiece :inlove:

Captured with DH’ iPhone 7. Not the best of the ninety-odd he took, but the only one so far I’ve transferred to shared photos.

PS: the dense area to the R is the massive piece of tree trunk waiting to catch fire.
I think it’s brilliant! I love the sparks.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I made this close up with the native Apple cam.
View attachment 148766
Would anyone care to speculate what caused the dark halo effect in the background. I was not using portrait mode, just the regular camera with the standard lens.
No edits or cropping.
Love the image.

Interesting. Snapseed often creates that during tuning but you have said that there are no edits so I can only believe it’s something to do with depth of field.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Love the image.

Interesting. Snapseed often creates that during tuning but you have said that there are no edits so I can only believe it’s something to do with depth of field.
Yes I presume it has something to do with the hillside being so far out of focus but the type of bokeh produced is not very pretty.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’m working my way through a bunch of camera apps seldom ever used to see if they are worth keeping.
AC9D66FA-23F2-4631-A793-AEC5A77D1136.jpeg

This was the StarryCamera app which at least gave me a picture when NightCap Pro did not. I’ll have to look at the tutorial mentioned on that window.

Tonight I was out making some beautiful photos of the Milky Way with my Canon mirrorless camera and I thought I should try some with my iPhone. Didn’t have much luck. A lot of noise on the tiny sensor as expected. If there’s a better app for night sky photos please let me know.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Proseezion is another app I have had languishing in my iPhone cameras folder and I’m finally getting around to trying it out.
F48E2966-A741-4F88-91F0-59BB51057DF6.jpeg

It falls loosely into the HDR category in that it makes a number of photos and combines them into one result. But it is also like Cortex Camera and Hydra in fusing several images in the attempt to increase image quality. Unlike most HDR apps, you have no control whatsoever over the resulting image after you press the shutter. Proseezion aims to control dynamic range without producing an overcooked HDR-looking image.
Proseezion has the best implementation of a histogram I have ever seen in a camera app and it is reminiscent of a Zone System scale.
You slide left or right to adjust exposure and up and down to adjust dynamic range. Manual focus is very nicely done showing a full-screen magnified view of the selected portion of the screen. That’s it. No other controls. No settings either.
The biggest failing in my opinion is that it lacks any white balance control and the colour in this photo is way off. Other apps I used at the same time did a much better job of nailing the white balance. All RAW, though.
Oh yes, forgot to mention. This is strictly a tripod app. After a 3 second countdown it makes 12 exposures in series one, another 12 in each of series 2 and 3. I’m guessing these 3 are each different exposure levels and the 12 shots in each must be to eliminate noise. You never get to see any of those 36 exposures. It does whatever it does with them and gives you the result with no adjustments possible.
You can’t just hold the phone “quite steady” as it does not align the images. If the camera moves at all you just get a blurred double image effect. There might be some creative potential in that to be explored.
And in case anyone is wondering, I use iWatermark to resize all my images to 1500px on the long dimension before uploading to MobiTog.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
View attachment 148745

We went to a 40th celebration last night at a farm. The bonfire was the centrepiece :inlove:

Captured with DH’ iPhone 7. Not the best of the ninety-odd he took, but the only one so far I’ve transferred to shared photos.

PS: the dense area to the R is the massive piece of tree trunk waiting to catch fire.
Now THAT'S a bonfire, Aussie style. :notworthy: Fantastic.... would have loved to have been there with you.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Proseezion is another app I have had languishing in my iPhone cameras folder and I’m finally getting around to trying it out.
View attachment 148846
It falls loosely into the HDR category in that it makes a number of photos and combines them into one result. But it is also like Cortex Camera and Hydra in fusing several images in the attempt to increase image quality. Unlike most HDR apps, you have no control whatsoever over the resulting image after you press the shutter. Proseezion aims to control dynamic range without producing an overcooked HDR-looking image.
Proseezion has the best implementation of a histogram I have ever seen in a camera app and it is reminiscent of a Zone System scale.
You slide left or right to adjust exposure and up and down to adjust dynamic range. Manual focus is very nicely done showing a full-screen magnified view of the selected portion of the screen. That’s it. No other controls. No settings either.
The biggest failing in my opinion is that it lacks any white balance control and the colour in this photo is way off. Other apps I used at the same time did a much better job of nailing the white balance. All RAW, though.
Oh yes, forgot to mention. This is strictly a tripod app. After a 3 second countdown it makes 12 exposures in series one, another 12 in each of series 2 and 3. I’m guessing these 3 are each different exposure levels and the 12 shots in each must be to eliminate noise. You never get to see any of those 36 exposures. It does whatever it does with them and gives you the result with no adjustments possible.
You can’t just hold the phone “quite steady” as it does not align the images. If the camera moves at all you just get a blurred double image effect. There might be some creative potential in that to be explored.
And in case anyone is wondering, I use iWatermark to resize all my images to 1500px on the long dimension before uploading to MobiTog.
Isn't putting a watermark on an image classed as an edit Brian. I thought this was a no edit challenge?
'1.) No editing : images must be “as shot” in your camera.'

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Isn't putting a watermark on an image classed as an edit Brian. I thought this was a no edit challenge?
'1.) No editing : images must be “as shot” in your camera.'
The provocateur at play, I see. No, I don’t think that it is an edit, it’s just visible metadata. The image itself is not changed in any way. And, technically speaking, resizing an image to post on MobiTog is an edit in that it isn’t the same size as shot on camera but we’re stuck with that one since all users should resize their images to no bigger than 1500 pixels before posting.

Last edited:

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I personally never resize.
Really? I thought everyone resized their images. The purpose is to limit loading down the MobiTog website. I think there is a back-up during uploading to downsize any images that the users forgot to resize before posting. Try downloading one of your posted images and check to see how big it is.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
Now THAT'S a bonfire, Aussie style. :notworthy: Fantastic.... would have loved to have been there with you.
I know you would’ve loved the guitars, the drumming, the singing :hearteyes:

We gave in at 130am, too old to do the all-nighters, plus a one hour drive home. But the youngsters (under 50 :lmao: ) were still going strong