• Please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU to all our generous & supportive MobiMembers!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

New MobiZero New : MZ #3 (Zero Editing ) Challenge

jsi

MobiStar
Real Name
John
Device
iPhone 6s
MobiZero New : MZ #3 (Zero Editing ) Challenge

—————————————-

Rules of Engagement:

1.) No editing : images must be “as shot” in your camera.

2.) Daylight filter only.

3.) Cropping is permitting.

4.) Choice of colours is your : black & white or colour.

4. ) Challenges judged bimonthly on Sunday : the 15th September is the challenge for MobiZero #3 . . .

regards,

jsi

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
1.) No editing : images must be “as shot” in your camera.
I still read this as "as shot in your native camera app" as opposed to shot on a fancy app with tripod mounted camera. Or am I being picky?

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
You're being picky. :D I read it as "Once you trip the shutter, you're done." The only exception is that you're allowed to crop. Why restrict the camera app used?
I'm all for a level (ish) playing field. Some apps just produce a better image than the native camera, almost like an in-camera edit.
Surely this challenge has to be significantly different to the regular MC or B/W challenges, or what's the point of having it?

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Hey wait a sec... does that mean there is no resizing allowed? I really didn't want to have to try posting a full 48MP image with this ridiculously slow internet...
What John said. MobiTog automatically resizes to 1500 pixels on the long side anyway.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I'm all for a level (ish) playing field. Some apps just produce a better image than the native camera, almost like an in-camera edit.
Surely this challenge has to be significantly different to the regular MC or B/W challenges, or what's the point of having it?
( ... )

That was the sound of me taking a deep breath and getting ready to reply, then thinking better of it. :D

I figure jsi created the challenge so he gets to set the rules.

jsi

MobiStar
Real Name
John
Device
iPhone 6s
Three quotes from Henri Cartier-Bresson :

“For me, the camera is a sketch book, an instrument of intuition and spontaneity.”

“The photograph itself doesn't interest me. I want only to capture a minute part of reality.”

“Sharpness is a bourgeois concept”

regards,

jsi
256E4474-C7F0-4208-BC95-EC6525537AF6.jpeg

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
It is significantly different because you can’t edit/app the image. I would think the only restriction in what camera app one used is that it couldn’t be an app that added a filter, like Hipstamatic. But whether you use the native camera app or Camera+ or 645 Pro shouldn’t matter as long as there are no edits.

jsi

MobiStar
Real Name
John
Device
iPhone 6s
It is significantly different because you can’t edit/app the image. I would think the only restriction in what camera app one used is that it couldn’t be an app that added a filter, like Hipstamatic. But whether you use the native camera app or Camera+ or 645 Pro shouldn’t matter as long as there are no edits.

. . . what she said . . .

regards,

jsi

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I’ve come across something I would like clarification on. You know how sometimes you take a picture pointing downward and sometimes the camera gets it right side up and other times the auto sensor gets the picture sideways.
So is rotating the picture back to the correct orientation OK?

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
645 Pro does have lots of filters. You just wouldn’t use any of them. There are plenty of other camera apps that include film emulation, like Filmborn, or adjustable filters, like Chromatica, so you would have to be careful to be sure the camera was in the unfiltered state.

The native iPhone camera app has filters you can engage before taking your picture. I know most people probably forgot that function was even there since the filters don’t seem to be much use.

But there are plenty of camera apps free of filters of any kind.