• > UPDATE Thread < Thanks to all who've DONATED to help with MobiTog's costs, please consider a small regular monthly sum, now possible under the new Donate tab! (NB - If all active MobiMembers Donate just £1/$1 per month it will cover our costs and help with expenditure for updates/improvements) A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog still has a few minor updates/improvements to complete... :)

Moment Pro Camera Update

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
Moment released a major update to their camera app. This includes some really cool new features:
- split of focus and metering
- zebra patterns on under and over exposed areas
- edge detection in manual mode
- new HDR modes

As I'm using Android I can't say if this differs from the iPhone version.

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Is the app worth having if you don't have any of the moment lenses?

sinnerjohn

Smooth Bug Catcher
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
Well, it's one of many apps but I like the clear and straight interface. I can post some screen shots if you like.
That's ok I've looked at it but wasn't sure what, if anything, it has to offer over the native camera or a dozen other alternative camera apps out there.

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
The downside of nearly all 3rd party apps is, that the limiting factor is the proprietary camera driver of the manufacturer. The really fancy functions are mostly not exposed to others. In case of very special features like night-whatever stuff, those functions won't be available on non-native apps.

Even if I don't own a Moment case / lens I find the app quite good because of the split focus/metering (as e.g. the Pixel app doesn't offer this ;) ).

In regards of benefits this app is as many others available on the market ... It's also a matter of taste and how you take pictures.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
That's ok I've looked at it but wasn't sure what, if anything, it has to offer over the native camera or a dozen other alternative camera apps out there.
At least on the iOS side, it's up to par with other apps like ProCam and ProCamera. I agree with Tom that now it's mainly a matter of whether the interface appeals to you. I shot a bunch with it yesterday, and it produces good results. I do have Moment lenses, but I don't use the option to tag a shot with the lens you're using (which has to be set manually) -- that and the integration with the Moment battery case are the only unique features I think.

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
terse would be interesting if selecting the used lens has also effect on the lens distortion. Maybe selecting the used lens also applies some fixing of lens distortion. Like e.g. in Lightroom you can sometimes (only applicable for certain lenses) select the lens you've used for the shot and then the lens distortion is corrected.

Don't know if the app is that smart ... ;)

Reactions: Jef

TomHH

MobiAddict
Real Name
Tom
Device
Pixel
BTW - the iOS app has now a burst mode which I find pretty cool! And it has a 7 day trial period - for those folks who will give it a try before buying it.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I was happy to see the zebra striping (for over- and under-exposure) added to the app, but in use, I find them to be a bit over-enthusiastic. That is, if I adjust the exposure settings to eliminate the overexposure striping completely, I get a photo that's way underexposed. Other apps that use zebra stripes produce better exposures in the same scene and conditions. Heading off to file a bug report...

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I was happy to see the zebra striping (for over- and under-exposure) added to the app, but in use, I find them to be a bit over-enthusiastic. That is, if I adjust the exposure settings to eliminate the overexposure striping completely, I get a photo that's way underexposed. Other apps that use zebra stripes produce better exposures in the same scene and conditions. Heading off to file a bug report...
UPDATE: More tinkering showed that I was wrong. The striping in the Moment app is comparable to that in ProCam. I was shooting scenes with a particularly wide dynamic range, and I'd been sloppy about matching settings in different apps. In short, forget I spoke; it works as expected.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Am I the only person here who has no idea what these are?? :confused::feet::coffee:
Here's a screenshot from the Moment cam app. The red stripes indicate highlights that will be blown out -- solid white -- and the blue stripes indicate areas that will be solid black.

09FA986C-C7EF-4AF3-90D8-1AF47704B106.png

So if you want to have some detail in the highlight areas, you need to adjust the exposure so that the red stripes go away.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Here's a screenshot from the Moment cam app. The red stripes indicate highlights that will be blown out -- solid white -- and the blue stripes indicate areas that will be solid black.

View attachment 144956

So if you want to have some detail in the highlight areas, you need to adjust the exposure so that the red stripes go away.
:notworthy: Thank you Ted! And....hmmmmm.... I could see where this could be pretty handy.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365

View attachment 144956

There’s a couple of camera apps that do this. Can’t remember off the top of my head.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

View attachment 144956

I’m sorely tempted to get the app.:rolleyes: Agh!

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
There’s a couple of camera apps that do this. Can’t remember off the top of my head.
ProCam is one and Lightroom is another (in its Pro mode but not in HDR, I think), but I can't remember the others right now either.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
ProCam is one and Lightroom is another (in its Pro mode but not in HDR, I think), but I can't remember the others right now either.
I checked through the numerous (!) camera apps I have and found that these all have zebra-like exposure warnings in one form or another: Moment, ProCam, Lightroom (in Pro mode, not HDR mode), Chromatica, Technical Camera, Camera-M, ACDSee Pro Camera, and Prime - RAW Manual Camera.

Last edited: