Mobi52 MsDee's Project 53 - 2020

Week 34

Hipsta Pineapple
Captured with iPhone 8 Plus; processed with Hipstamatic

067F6075-99FC-474E-8B74-E790B223000D.jpeg

Becasso'd Pineapple Plant
Captured with iPhone 8; processed with Becasso

The “twin” to the one in the next pot with a pineapple; this one has no sign of fruit this year.

FD8A6C81-E8EB-4D0C-90C6-71185F64357F.jpeg

Week 37

Friday - very early - we headed out on a journey to Georgetown, Tennessee. We met up with our son and daughter-in-law, and Maverick, the grand dog... a cabin in the mountains for TEN DAYS!!

We Made It...

HMOriginal-533B695B-E3FA-4888-A48E-6BCE9285356C.jpg

The Front Porch

HMOriginal-3301AE25-B4EF-4649-956C-D9D40BEC0283.jpg

Week 20

Redington Beach Sunset
(Socially Distanced with Face Masks)
Captured and processed with Lightroom Camera on iPhone 8 Plus

Second Sourdough Flop
Nearly hard as a rock :(
Captured with iPhone native camera

View attachment 157881

I didn’t do well with my first, spelt culture. I don’t know if spelt is more temperamental, but sourdough cultures are supposedly hard to kill, but I’m pretty sure mine was cactus by the time it became pancakes for my DH.

I’ve watched lots of YouTube clips and somehow the feeding/discarding thing is not translating to me + culture @ kitchen bench. TomHH and his wife seem to be accomplished bakers, maybe they can help :D
btw does it need a Dutch over for baking?

Fourth Loaf's The Charm?

Captured with SnapChat on iPhone 8 Plus; processed on same with Photos

View attachment 158425

looks perfect - I see the trademark bubbles :notworthy:

Been using the sourdough discard in various ways other than simply composting. Waffles were very good too. :coffee:

Thanks for posting the recipe. I’ve made pancakes (as above) that turned out more like the flat bread you’d use with dukka and balsamic. My DH loves crumpets so I’ll try them next

Jen, the more you read about sourdough the more complicated it gets! :lmao:
It's quite simple and you don't need to buy starters. I'll post you a how-to later and how to keep the dough alive.
I'm baking all kinds of bread bread now for nearly a year and by the time it's a no-brainer for me.
Only thing you really need is time and a little management when to start with baking your bread. :)

Jen, the more you read about sourdough the more complicated it gets! :lmao:
It's quite simple and you don't need to buy starters. I'll post you a how-to later and how to keep the dough alive.
I'm baking all kinds of bread bread now for nearly a year and by the time it's a no-brainer for me.
Only thing you really need is time and a little management when to start with baking your bread. :)

:notworthy: :notworthy: :notworthy:

(Standing by with pen & paper :):inlove: )

Okay, here we go!

You need a bowl or something similar to hold about 1,5 liters of ingredients. During all the work do not close your vessel tight - just cover it with a lid or plate. Keep your stuff clean! And off you go.

1. day
- 50g wholemeal rye flour
- 50g water (around 37°C/98.6°F) increase water up to 60g if the dough is to firm

Mix the ingredients to get an even dough. Cover your vessel and let it rest for a day at room temperature (24°C/75.2°F also this is the temperature for the whole process)

2. day
add to your dough of the first day
- 50g water (around 37°C/98.6°F) increase water up to 60g if the dough is to firm

Mix dough from day one with flour and water to get a even dough. Cover your vessel and let it rest for a day.

3. day
- 50g sourdough starter from day 2

Let it rest for about 12-14 hours till the volume of it doubled. You should see bubbles in the dough now and will smell sourly.
No it's time to the final step.

Now mix:
- 10g (or a good soup spoon) sourdough starter from the previous step

There your go! You can put it in the fridge and add the same weight of wholemeal rye flour and water as your sourdough is every week.

This is now your sourdough.

When I run low on sourdough I take my rest of the dough and add equal parts of flour and water to it - done.

love the Hipsta edits :inlove: Have you been selecting the filters or doing the shake’n’bake thing?

Hipstamatic X doesn't have "shake and bake"... but they did come out with a random camera recently. I have used that, sometimes I import a photo and edit, sometimes I select a camera, but usually end up using the "Edit" button. It's a little different that the original Hipstamatic program.

This bread looks gorgeous! :thumbs:
Thanks Tom... your encouragement a few months ago helped me "keep the faith" :)

It's not easy to find Rye flour around here, so my sourdough is bread flour. I only feed my starter once a week now.

Okay, here we go!

You need a bowl or something similar to hold about 1,5 liters of ingredients. During all the work do not close your vessel tight - just cover it with a lid or plate. Keep your stuff clean! And off you go.

1. day

Mix the ingredients to get an even dough. Cover your vessel and let it rest for a day at room temperature (24°C/75.2°F also this is the temperature for the whole process)

2. day
add to your dough of the first day

Mix dough from day one with flour and water to get a even dough. Cover your vessel and let it rest for a day.

3. day
- 50g sourdough starter from day 2

Let it rest for about 12-14 hours till the volume of it doubled. You should see bubbles in the dough now and will smell sourly.
No it's time to the final step.

Now mix:
- 10g (or a good soup spoon) sourdough starter from the previous step

There your go! You can put it in the fridge and add the same weight of wholemeal rye flour and water as your sourdough is every week.

This is now your sourdough.

When I run low on sourdough I take my rest of the dough and add equal parts of flour and water to it - done.
I like that this uses rye flour. With a lot of experimenting I have found I can eat rye. Wheat seems to be the culprit in my gastric problems. I’m wondering how a combo with the rye sourdough and rice and sorghum flour would be. It’s been years since I made bread. Maybe it’s time.

Starzee Well, some people who have difficulties with bread made of wheat and produced industrial can cope with sourdough bread. Sourdough will decrease the amount of phytic acid which is contained in grains and our body is not good in coping with it. At rest of at least 6 hours for the dough will make bread more digestible.
And modern wheat is modified to be more fertile and to have a greater harvest.And that all because it's "the grain" - lot's of stuff is made of it.
I think rye isn't touched - yet - in that way, contains less phytic acid and therefore is more digestible.

BTW - you can also use rye sourdough and 'inject' it to make wheat sourdough! ;) Works perfectly fine! :)

Last edited:
Starzee Well, some people who have difficulties with bread made of wheat and produced industrial can cope with sourdough bread. Sourdough will decrease the amount of phytic acid which is contained in grains and our body is not good in coping with it. At rest of at least 6 hours for the dough will make bread more digestible.
And modern wheat is modified to be more fertile and to have a greater harvest.And that all because it's "the grain" - lot's of stuff is made of it.
I think rye isn't touched - yet - in that way, contains less phytic acid and therefore is more digestible.

BTW - you can also use rye sourdough and 'inject' it to make wheat sourdough! ;) Works perfectly fine! :)
My cousin has same situation and brags up an elite pizzeria in her area that uses European flour that she can eat for that very reason. No chemical “help” in the flours production. It’s a shame we’ve resorted to treating things with substances that make people sick.

I’ve been going to try a rye mix with yeast bread during this pandemic, but everyone else is making bread, too. Rye flour has yet to reappear on my grocery shelf.

Week 40

Adult Beverage
Long First Day At My New Job!
Hipstamatic X

BA6D06D7-9B8A-40ED-8D2E-1E7CD408A0D2.jpeg

Blue Hour-Wow!

Native Camera

16D9DD84-359F-473D-957E-E238D40EA582.jpeg

Virtual Trivia - Sister District Fund Raiser

We are 2nd in the top row...
Portrait Painter

BCACF8BE-2BA9-461B-8D1D-A3DB05220F29.jpeg