MobiWorkshop MW 1 - Close-up Photography

I think the best idea is for people to assimilate the information, see how that fits with what they have already done and make some new pictures trying to move forward. For instance, if looking back at your past close-ups you can see a common problem is getting the right things in focus you might decide to devote your new photos to working on focus techniques.
I first started doing close-up photography back about 1970 and up until I started doing close-ups with my iPhone I never had problems getting things in focus. So I recognize that getting good focus has now become more of an issue than it is with a DSLR. The old “tap-to-focus” method doesn’t work well at all.
Two weeks is OK with me. That would be great if people were actually doing something towards the workshop topic. Actually, it gives me a lot more time to participate in other challenges, too. This first workshop has been pretty time consuming for me. I hope others are not so time consuming.
RE: the 2 week thing. The pics I've taken for this so far were my first attempt. Now I've realised what a poor lens I've been using...because of this workshop... I want to find my old lens which I had more success with. I think I gave it to my first born.
I can do all that anyway but an extra week would allow me to develop (or not) and report back.

As regards what I've learnt so far. Using a tripod really helped in getting stuff in focus but more than that, because focus was optimal it's clear from my results that my lens is substandard.
I always maintained that equipment doesn't matter, it's what you do with it that counts. But it's clear that with better quality equipment you get better results more often

As regards what I've learnt so far. Using a tripod really helped in getting stuff in focus but more than that, because focus was optimal it's clear from my results that my lens is substandard.
I always maintained that equipment doesn't matter, it's what you do with it that counts. But it's clear that with better quality equipment you get better results more often
I certainly agree that once you get up to a certain level of equipment it doesn’t matter which brand you use. I’ve always found it interesting why some people prefer Canon while other prefer Nikon. I guess it has something to do with the ergonomics.

I hadn't given my old lens to my eldest, he'd borrowed and not given it back. I stopped using it because it uses suckers to stick on but my latest phone has a raised camera bulge on the back so it doesn't stick.
20190111_204726.jpg

It has the same pin cushion problem as my new lens but I think the focus/quality is better.
New lens:
20190109_193134-01.jpeg

Old lens:
20190111_204700-01.jpeg

In think I'll seek out a better lens system for my phone after this. What I have is substandard. I'm a bit surprised a 6 year old cheep plastic toy like lens out performs a glass and metal set from 2 years ago but it explains why I've done a lot less macro stuff the last couple of years.

I have to admit I’m a little confused about this whole thread, is it about add on lenses, or are we just using phone cameras?
You can use whatever you’ve got. With just your phone camera and no add-ons, just focus as close as you can and work with that. Some people already have close-up lenses and they are anxious to see what they can do with them. The closer you get through the use of add-on macro lenses or whatever, the harder it gets. The idea is to try various close-up situations and see what difficulties you run into. Figuring out how to overcome the inherant difficulties in close-up photography will prepare you for future close-up opportunities.

The world of close-up photography starts at your closest focusing position with your phone camera. If you get enthusiastic about the close-up world you may be interested in getting close-up lenses or a macro lens. I find that the bulk of my close-up photography is covered by the close-up lenses. The macro is fairly fixed. It has only one magnification amount and the total focusing range may only be a couple of mm. With the macro lens you are looking for subjects that fit into a 3cm frame. Most of the time I just need a little more close focusing than I can get with the unaided phone.

Your message inspired me to make this series of pictures to show the biggest actual size you can record with different types of equipment.
Please bear in mind they have been scaled smaller for MobiTog uploading so some detail has been lost.
41F7C401-59D8-43C2-BEB7-BD233ACE91B7.jpeg

Standard wide angle lens (1x), closest focusing distance. If you try to push it to 3.25 inches it is no longer in focus. This is certainly close enough for a large percentage of close-up photos requirements. The standard lens is quite well corrected.

FD2B6AB5-4C91-4F68-A0CE-4E736EFB4F5B.jpeg

+4 close-up lens, closest focusing distance. It adds a noticeable jump in magnification. A small amount of pincushion distortion has crept in.

2C52C67C-CDB3-4762-8F30-2AD85F8ADC5D.jpeg

+4 & +2 Close-up lenses stacked together to make +6. Pincushion distortion is more noticeable. The difference in magnification between +4 and +6 isn’t that much.

70461603-D08A-41F6-8894-2181AC7627D3.jpeg
\
I got an unpleasant surprise with my old +10 close-up lens. Severe pincushion distortion. I feel even better about already having ordered a new 2-element version. +10 is another noticeable jump in magnification. The high quality 2 element +10 lens is only about $15 cheaper than the Moment Macro.

2D1E2D5F-8526-4A56-AA6F-D8CABEC64A91.jpeg

Moment Macro lens. When I first looked at this photo and saw the bigger “3” I wondered what was going on, but a closer look at my ruler revealed the numbers really do get bigger after the scale passes the hole. The correction is pretty good but there is some bending inwards in the outer 3mm of the corners. Not something you would notice in regular photos.
If you check back with the first photo made with no close-up lens it has captured a width of 9cm. The Moment Macro photographs a width of 3cm so to me that looks like 3x bigger on the horizontal axis. The Moment Macro is called 10X so they must be considering the total area of the picture rather than the linear dimension. When you double the size of a photo you multiply its pixels by 4. It must be something along those lines.

CDFD9716-B9B7-41D5-BFE5-2F0F7E09BE59.jpeg

Closest focus distance with the 2x lens. Pardon my tripod leg. It required too much changing the set-up to bother moving it.

I was using a macro focusing rail for this series of tests. It allowed me to make fine adjustments to the distance between the ruler and camera to be sure I found the correct distance. I also used a circular level on my screen to be sure my phone was level.

Last edited:
Your pictures have more than the expected depth of field considering the magnification. Is this the Camera+ macro mode?
What is that in your second photo? A saw sharpening tool?
Yes, Camera+ 2 using the macro. I think that machine is a sort of band saw. This particular part seems to be an adjustment sort of thing, maybe an Allen wrench fits in. I picked that to photograph because I could hold the phone securely against the table of the saw to stabilize the iPhone and also have a consitant distance from my subject so I could use a variety of camera apps.

It’s time to move onto the next stage of this workshop, which is looking at the pictures you made, noting the difficulties you had, and comparing notes with other people. Ask any questions you have. Make comments on how the pictures look to you.

Did you learn anything new? Did you try anything new? Did you get some ideas about what you would like to try next with close-up photography?

This topic required a lot of information to get everyone up to speed with the basic points of close-up photography. Once everyone is up to this level the remaining topics are more like fine tuning.

One area I always find requires adjusting is the white balance of my picture. The lighting conditions are often unusual, being in the shadows or in the woods. On top of that, since we often fill up the frame with the close-up subjects we photograph the colour of the subject can, and does, drastically affect the white balance of the resulting image, usually in a bad way. I think this is worthy of being a workshop “topic”.

I would like to try to stay on the 1 week cycle for these workshops. That would be the most familiar with anyone who has participated in other challenges. One question is. What would be the best starting day? Perhaps making it the same as all the others is a bad idea. Maybe people would prefer having the weekend to make their photos.

Any suggestions welcome.
I definitely like the idea of having the whole weekend to work on something.

I don’t know, Brian, I think we need 2 weeks for these workshops. With the Challenges we can sometimes dig out an image from our Camera Roll but if we are taking note of the info you are giving us we can’t very well go back to an image taken a while back because we might not remember the conditions and it’s all about applying what we’ve learnt.

:thumbs: Me, too. I think two weeks is not too long for something that's a workshop rather than a challenge. And it gives time for others to watch what's going on and get interested enough to join in. What with doing things for MC, B/W, and Appstracts, plus repairing a dryer, I haven't had time to compare the Moment macro to the Zeiss macro, try shooting with a tripod, or work much on improving my handheld technique.
Absolutely, two weeks would be better.

Oops. Seems I missed this part (there was so much to read, I got a bit lost.... :grimacing:). For me, 3 weekdays is not much time to take “lots of pictures”... unless it’s just stuff around my apartment or stuff at my office, all of it pretty boring. And by the time I get home these days it’s dark, so no light to work with. :persevere:
This post reminded me of something I got from a Nicki Fitzgerald tute. She froze some greenery, set up a light behind it then photographed it using a tripod. Of course her images were way better than mine, but it was fun. Do you have plants that would sacrifice a leaf or two for the sake of art?

Here’s a few of my shots. Not great but I think I’ll try again.
05662770-3611-473D-8783-B99A66F2B414.jpeg
F3B6AC3C-6C43-4E12-B6BF-C0D545510642.jpeg
4980EBB8-7E26-458B-9A7F-3222504F8102.jpeg

This post reminded me of something I got from a Nicki Fitzgerald tute. She froze some greenery, set up a light behind it then photographed it using a tripod. Of course her images were way better than mine, but it was fun. Do you have plants that would sacrifice a leaf or two for the sake of art?

View attachment 119131 View attachment 119132 View attachment 119133
An interesting idea and you showed some initiative and follow through making it happen. These things never work out just right the first time and trying again is the route to success. Carry on. You’re doing great. I can imagine that having parts of the plant emerging from the icy fog would create an interesting atmosphere. I wonder how the limited depth of field will interact with this expression. The thing would be to figure out how to use the shallow depth to your advantage.

I think I have read about this a few years ago, maybe 25. It seems to me there was some discussion about how to freeze the water to keep the ice more clear. Was there anything about that in the tutorial you saw? Sometimes I see ice outdoors that is completely clear like glass, and other times, white, and sometimes with several large bubbles. The speed of freezing and freedom from wibration and maybe letting the water settle before freezing, are things I can think of.

I’m contacting everyone who I have noticed visiting this workshop to let you know people would like to have 2 weeks to complete this workshop instead of one. That allows people who work all week to have the weekend in daylight to make their close-up photos. Also, if you tried to make some close-up photos and had difficulties you have time to give it another go after seeing your first results.
RoseCat , dscheff, zenjenny, ImageArt, GroovyGouvy, younger, sinnerjohn, Carol, rizole, lkbside, terse, Starzee,

I’m contacting everyone who I have noticed visiting this workshop to let you know people would like to have 2 weeks to complete this workshop instead of one. That allows people who work all week to have the weekend in daylight to make their close-up photos. Also, if you tried to make some close-up photos and had difficulties you have time to give it another go after seeing your first results.
RoseCat , dscheff, zenjenny, ImageArt, GroovyGouvy, younger, sinnerjohn, Carol, rizole, lkbside, terse, Starzee,
Great!!

That’s a cool idea... I have a sage plant that would be willing to donate to the cause. ;)

You can use whatever you’ve got. With just your phone camera and no add-ons, just focus as close as you can and work with that. Some people already have close-up lenses and they are anxious to see what they can do with them. The closer you get through the use of add-on macro lenses or whatever, the harder it gets. The idea is to try various close-up situations and see what difficulties you run into. Figuring out how to overcome the inherant difficulties in close-up photography will prepare you for future close-up opportunities.

The world of close-up photography starts at your closest focusing position with your phone camera. If you get enthusiastic about the close-up world you may be interested in getting close-up lenses or a macro lens. I find that the bulk of my close-up photography is covered by the close-up lenses. The macro is fairly fixed. It has only one magnification amount and the total focusing range may only be a couple of mm. With the macro lens you are looking for subjects that fit into a 3cm frame. Most of the time I just need a little more close focusing than I can get with the unaided phone.

Your message inspired me to make this series of pictures to show the biggest actual size you can record with different types of equipment.
Please bear in mind they have been scaled smaller for MobiTog uploading so some detail has been lost.
View attachment 119126
Standard wide angle lens (1x), closest focusing distance. If you try to push it to 3.25 inches it is no longer in focus. This is certainly close enough for a large percentage of close-up photos requirements. The standard lens is quite well corrected.

View attachment 119125
+4 close-up lens, closest focusing distance. It adds a noticeable jump in magnification. A small amount of pincushion distortion has crept in.

View attachment 119124
+4 & +2 Close-up lenses stacked together to make +6. Pincushion distortion is more noticeable. The difference in magnification between +4 and +6 isn’t that much.

View attachment 119123 \
I got an unpleasant surprise with my old +10 close-up lens. Severe pincushion distortion. I feel even better about already having ordered a new 2-element version. +10 is another noticeable jump in magnification. The high quality 2 element +10 lens is only about $15 cheaper than the Moment Macro.

View attachment 119127
Moment Macro lens. When I first looked at this photo and saw the bigger “3” I wondered what was going on, but a closer look at my ruler revealed the numbers really do get bigger after the scale passes the hole. The correction is pretty good but there is some bending inwards in the outer 3mm of the corners. Not something you would notice in regular photos.
If you check back with the first photo made with no close-up lens it has captured a width of 9cm. The Moment Macro photographs a width of 3cm so to me that looks like 3x bigger on the horizontal axis. The Moment Macro is called 10X so they must be considering the total area of the picture rather than the linear dimension. When you double the size of a photo you multiply its pixels by 4. It must be something along those lines.

View attachment 119122
Closest focus distance with the 2x lens. Pardon my tripod leg. It required too much changing the set-up to bother moving it.

I was using a macro focusing rail for this series of tests. It allowed me to make fine adjustments to the distance between the ruler and camera to be sure I found the correct distance. I also used a circular level on my screen to be sure my phone was level.
Fantastic series, Brian.

I think this is brilliant. Maybe I should see what I have in the freezer....

Yeah! You are Reading my mind!!!! :thumbs:

Close-ups. During my experimentation with the iPhone vs P20 Pro today, I took a x2 zoom image of a small bud. It’s only when I cropped it closer and saw a difference with the P20 Pro that I realised there were 2 bugs on it! Gee, if I had known I would have been out there in a shot with my macro.

This is what I love about close ups and macro - stuff you just can’t see with your eyes.

7E517F5A-1EBD-4318-AA76-8D27131D6598.jpeg

I’m going to make some of those cards tomorrow morning to check out the macro lenses I have but while I was chopping a red cabbage for supper tonight I was struck by the beauty of the patterns.

iPhone 7+ with 58mm Moment tele lens and 10x Neewer Macro filter. Damn, I love these Moment lenses. I particularly like this set up because of the wide depth of field. I wanted to use a tripod but it’s so difficult to get the object at the right distance and height to photograph without going to a lot of hassle.

A9063541-4DBB-4855-A9D3-B37D8235C8CE.jpeg

I’m going to make some of those cards tomorrow morning to check out the macro lenses I have but while I was chopping a red cabbage for supper tonight I was struck by the beauty of the patterns.

iPhone 7+ with 58mm Moment tele lens and 10x Neewer Macro filter. Damn, I love these Moment lenses. I particularly like this set up because of the wide depth of field. I wanted to use a tripod but it’s so difficult to get the object at the right distance and height to photograph without going to a lot of hassle.

View attachment 119169
It’s strange, but in this image the cabbage doesn’t look like it’s been cut. It actually reminds me of intestines.:lol:

I think I have read about this a few years ago, maybe 25.
Sounds like your perception of time is rather like mine.:lmao:
An interesting idea and you showed some initiative and follow through making it happen. These things never work out just right the first time and trying again is the route to success. Carry on. You’re doing great. I can imagine that having parts of the plant emerging from the icy fog would create an interesting atmosphere. I wonder how the limited depth of field will interact with this expression. The thing would be to figure out how to use the shallow depth to your advantage.

I think I have read about this a few years ago, maybe 25. It seems to me there was some discussion about how to freeze the water to keep the ice more clear. Was there anything about that in the tutorial you saw? Sometimes I see ice outdoors that is completely clear like glass, and other times, white, and sometimes with several large bubbles. The speed of freezing and freedom from wibration and maybe letting the water settle before freezing, are things I can think of.
I was wondering about that. Today it’s 7 degrees F (-14C) outside. That’s plenty colder than my freezer. Maybe I’ll grab some of the weeds poking out of the snow and see if the ice freezes clearer.

-16°C overnight, and pretty cold today, but sunny. I’ve been down with some sort of chest cold/cough/sore throat so I won’t be going out today for any close-ups. However it’s a perfect day to do close-up photos indoors by a sunny window. :rog:
I’ve heard a couple of people comment that one of the attractions of close-up photography is seeing tiny details you can’t otherwise see so I decided to look for subjects with good details.
My first subject was a sea urchin. Photographed in direct sun through a window. Moment Macro. iPhone 8 Plus. PureShot. RAW image format (DNG).
A60C9C69-1B52-4CD1-A269-FFA41A0BF136.jpeg

Looking at the photo the first thing I noticed is that the white bumps actually have tiny knobs on top rather than being simple bumps.
Since it is a curved subject there is no way to have more than a limited portion in focus. Instead, I chose to shoot across the curve causing a greater degree of focus fall-off. I found the magnified screen viewer very helpful to see when I was getting the focus in the right place. As I looked through the screen viewer it could see that the slightest vibration caused the image to dance. My tripod setup is quite solid but still there are vibrations. I used the 10 second self timer to allow things to settle down before the image was made. I wondered how important this would be. Certainly at 1/30 second exposure it would be very important. Checking my actual shutter speed, at my chosen ISO20, turned out to be 1/1250. That gave me some added confidence that if there was a slight vibration the shutter speed was fast enough to freeze the motion.
7CD0660D-E23F-4F64-A3EB-A481EDD69858.jpeg

I presume this is some sort of coral.
3A6C5627-2427-4138-977A-8C9EBE760B6B.jpeg

Here’s my set-up. Photographed with the Gimbse camera app to keep the verticals parallel. Pretty darned handy.

Note the paint brush. I keep finding whenever I do close-ups that I have to retouch dirt and dust that I couldn't see before hand. Giving my subjects a good dusting really makes a difference. Not very useful for butterfly wings :oops: though.
For a general discription, I have my very solid close-up tripod set up with a 90° bracket and my macro focusing rail, and then my phone attached pointing straight down, with Moment Macro attached, but without its diffusion hood because it would cause a shadow in this direct light. On top of my phone there is a magnified screen viewer so I can see the focus more accurately, and adjust the focus with the focusing rail.
Below the camera you can see the sea urchin positioned on edge in a wire holder attached to a pretty solid bracket. I figured that angle would help reveal subject details.
At the bottom I have a piece of cardboard with black velvet glued on. The reverse side is a grey card. It was actually made for another purpose but it serves well here. The black velvet is angled away from the sun to make sure it is really black. If the sun skims across the black velvet and highlights a speck of dust it can show as a white blob in the background.
There’s another magnified screen viewer in the lower left. They are both home made items. The corner one has a +13 viewing lens and the height was determined to put the screen in best focus. It is made of plastic scrounged from a dead computer case. The one on my phone at the moment is made of thin aluminum and folds flat.

The following comparison pair shows the difference in detail between direct sun compared to diffused light made by leaning a diffusion panel against the window.
D4CFCA4B-8A6C-415D-87C2-B8696B0C45A3.jpeg

Upper photo - direct sun. Lower photo - diffused light. Technically, both photos are equally “sharp” but the lighting quality makes a difference in how we see the fine details.
BF0ABC27-ED52-4847-9792-6F264D419EEF.jpeg

Direct sun is quite “hard”. Not very nice for portraits of people because it picks up every pore and blemish, and the shadows exhibit very abrupt fall-off. Diffused light is much better for portraits and many other subjects, but it is clear that the best details in this case were revealed by direct hard light, especially at this skimming angle.

I did my first few RAW photo edits in Snapseed. Then I decided to try some edits in other apps, as well. RAWPower, Darkroom, and Affinity Photo. I’m still at the stage with RAWPower and Darkroom that I’m looking around for the controls I want. They both get the job done well enough.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that they all use Apple’s RAW engine. A RAW file has a particular set of adjustments available and beyond that you just use the same controls you use for other file types. The problem is that not all apps agree on how to name those controls but you can soon enough figure them out. None of the apps can invent any new controls that the other don’t have because it is all defined within Apple’s RAW engine. The difference is in the convenience of layout and the additional information that can be provided by things like histograms and highlight and shadow warnings.

It would be nice if all the controls you need to work on a RAW file could be organized in one window and in the best sequence of use. However the screen size isn’t big enough to display them all so they tend to be grouped by topic. Not everyone agrees on the groupings.
Snapseed seems to work as well as any for RAW files. It doesn’t have any of the fancy layout or graphics that can make it more informative to work on an image, especially when it comes to keeping track of highlight and shadow values going out of bounds.
The iPad versions of the apps certainly have more room to display the workspace to better advantage.

The operating system has its own idea on the type of processing that makes your jpeg photos look best but this one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t take into consideration some photos might be made at a very low ISO and not require so much noise reduction, which smears image details. All digital images require sharpening, but how much. Different images have different requirements.

The advantage of using the built-in image processing is that in many cases your pictures are good-to-go right out of the camera with no extra fiddling require. Not so with RAW images. They tend to look rather dull at first compared to jpegs. Every single one will require “developing”. That’s what many people call the extra steps required to prepare a RAW image so it looks as good as the jpegs. Beyond that you employ your usual editing techniques. However, you start your editing with a better quality image.

Not every image needs the extra advantages of RAW and for all the everyday images jpeg is perfectly fine. For those situations where highlight control is essential or image details are important to you than RAW is the way to go.

Here’s another important feature of RAW images. They are capable of capturing a bigger dynamic range than jpegs. Especially in the highlight region. Which all means you have a much better chance to successfully record highlight detail in RAW images that would be lost in jpegs.

One reason to switch to RAW is to bypass the heavy handed processing bestowed upon all jpeg images. However, that means you are now on full manual when it comes to image processing and every RAW image will require adjustments to sharpening, noise reduction, and saturation, adjustments that previously were done for you (some would say done TO you).

So, yes, RAW image processing is more work and more time consuming. But I think you will find the greater image quality makes it all worthwhile.

Last edited:
-16°C overnight, and pretty cold today, but sunny. I’ve been down with some sort of chest cold/cough/sore throat so I won’t be going out today for any close-ups. However it’s a perfect day to do close-up photos indoors by a sunny window. :rog:
I’ve heard a couple of people comment that one of the attractions of close-up photography is seeing tiny details you can’t otherwise see so I decided to look for subjects with good details.
My first subject was a sea urchin. Photographed in direct sun through a window. Moment Macro. iPhone 8 Plus. PureShot. RAW image format (DNG).
View attachment 119207
Looking at the photo the first thing I noticed is that the white bumps actually have tiny knobs on top rather than being simple bumps.
Since it is a curved subject there is no way to have more than a limited portion in focus. Instead, I chose to shoot across the curve causing a greater degree of focus fall-off. I found the magnified screen viewer very helpful to see when I was getting the focus in the right place. As I looked through the screen viewer it could see that the slightest vibration caused the image to dance. My tripod setup is quite solid but still there are vibrations. I used the 10 second self timer to allow things to settle down before the image was made. I wondered how important this would be. Certainly at 1/30 second exposure it would be very important. Checking my actual shutter speed, at my chosen ISO20, turned out to be 1/1250. That gave me some added confidence that if there was a slight vibration the shutter speed was fast enough to freeze the motion.
View attachment 119206
I presume this is some sort of coral.
View attachment 119208
Here’s my set-up. Photographed with the Gimbse camera app to keep the verticals parallel. Pretty darned handy.

Note the paint brush. I keep finding whenever I do close-ups that I have to retouch dirt and dust that I couldn't see before hand. Giving my subjects a good dusting really makes a difference. Not very useful for butterfly wings :oops: though.
For a general discription, I have my very solid close-up tripod set up with a 90° bracket and my macro focusing rail, and then my phone attached pointing straight down, with Moment Macro attached, but without its diffusion hood because it would cause a shadow in this direct light. On top of my phone there is a magnified screen viewer so I can see the focus more accurately, and adjust the focus with the focusing rail.
Below the camera you can see the sea urchin positioned on edge in a wire holder attached to a pretty solid bracket. I figured that angle would help reveal subject details.
At the bottom I have a piece of cardboard with black velvet glued on. The reverse side is a grey card. It was actually made for another purpose but it serves well here. The black velvet is angled away from the sun to make sure it is really black. If the sun skims across the black velvet and highlights a speck of dust it can show as a white blob in the background.
There’s another magnified screen viewer in the lower left. They are both home made items. The corner one has a +13 viewing lens and the height was determined to put the screen in best focus. It is made of plastic scrounged from a dead computer case. The one on my phone at the moment is made of thin aluminum and folds flat.

The following comparison pair shows the difference in detail between direct sun compared to diffused light made by leaning a diffusion panel against the window.
View attachment 119204
Upper photo - direct sun. Lower photo - diffused light. Technically, both photos are equally “sharp” but the lighting quality makes a difference in how we see the fine details.
View attachment 119205
Direct sun is quite “hard”. Not very nice for portraits of people because it picks up every pore and blemish, and the shadows exhibit very abrupt fall-off. Diffused light is much better for portraits and many other subjects, but it is clear that the best details in this case were revealed by direct hard light, especially at this skimming angle.

I did my first few RAW photo edits in Snapseed. Then I decided to try some edits in other apps, as well. RAWPower, Darkroom, and Affinity Photo. I’m still at the stage with RAWPower and Darkroom that I’m looking around for the controls I want. They both get the job done well enough.

I think the important thing to keep in mind is that they all use Apple’s RAW engine. A RAW file has a particular set of adjustments available and beyond that you just use the same controls you use for other file types. The problem is that not all apps agree on how to name those controls but you can soon enough figure them out. None of the apps can invent any new controls that the other don’t have because it is all defined within Apple’s RAW engine. The difference is in the convenience of layout and the additional information that can be provided by things like histograms and highlight and shadow warnings.

It would be nice if all the controls you need to work on a RAW file could be organized in one window and in the best sequence of use. However the screen size isn’t big enough to display them all so they tend to be grouped by topic. Not everyone agrees on the groupings.
Snapseed seems to work as well as any for RAW files. It doesn’t have any of the fancy layout or graphics that can make it more informative to work on an image, especially when it comes to keeping track of highlight and shadow values going out of bounds.
The iPad versions of the apps certainly have more room to display the workspace to better advantage.

The operating system has its own idea on the type of processing that makes your jpeg photos look best but this one-size-fits-all approach doesn’t take into consideration some photos might be made at a very low ISO and not require so much noise reduction, which smears image details. All digital images require sharpening, but how much. Different images have different requirements.

The advantage of using the built-in image processing is that in many cases your pictures are good-to-go right out of the camera with no extra fiddling require. Not so with RAW images. They tend to look rather dull at first compared to jpegs. Every single one will require “developing”. That’s what many people call the extra steps required to prepare a RAW image so it looks as good as the jpegs. Beyond that you employ your usual editing techniques. However, you start your editing with a better quality image.

Not every image needs the extra advantages of RAW and for all the everyday images jpeg is perfectly fine. For those situations where highlight control is essential or image details are important to you than RAW is the way to go.

Here’s another important feature of RAW images. They are capable of capturing a bigger dynamic range than jpegs. Especially in the highlight region. Which all means you have a much better chance to successfully record highlight detail in RAW images that would be lost in jpegs.

One reason to switch to RAW is to bypass the heavy handed processing bestowed upon all jpeg images. However, that means you are now on full manual when it comes to image processing and every RAW image will require adjustments to sharpening, noise reduction, and saturation, adjustments that previously were done for you (some would say done TO you).

So, yes, RAW image processing is more work and more time consuming. But I think you will find the greater image quality makes it all worthwhile.
Love the sea urchin! Great pics.

Back
Top Bottom