MobiWorkshop MW2 White Balance

UGH <throws hands up in air then dramatically puts head in hands in despair>
Maybe this will help?
  • In traditional preparation of color separations, a red keyline on the black line art marked the outline of solid or tint color areas. In some cases a black keyline was used when it served as both a color indicator and an outline to be printed in black. Because usually the black plate contained the keyline, the K in CMYK represents the keyline or black plate, also sometimes called the key plate.
:lmao::zip:

Exactly, not only for the color space but also for the ICC profile if the printer provides/specifies one (and they should).

And while poking into this topic on the web, I had a D'oh! moment when someone pointed out that most modern inkjet printers beyond the basic models use more inks than just CMYK. My Canon Pro-10, for example, uses 9 inks (plus a gloss optimizer), adding Photo Cyan, Photo Magenta, Red, and Gray to the mix, and having Photo Black and Matte Black in place of the single K. Some Epson printers added orange and green in place of the Canon's red.

In other words, the inkjet printer is doing some internal conversions to employ all these inks, regardless of whether you send RGB or CMYK. There's no escaping it.

In printing digital images (especially non-photographic ones -- think zenjenny or ImageArt or Starzee -- on inkjet printers, I've found the most difficult problem is that so much of the color may lay outside the range of colors the printer can reproduce. So the challenge becomes adjusting the image so that all colors are printable while maintaining the look of the original. It'll drive you crazy, not to mention using up a lot of ink and paper.
When it comes to printer colours and screen calibration I have to say that my eyes tend to glaze over. I’ve got serious books about it but luckily my Epson Stylus Pro 3885 does a superb job of reproducing what I have on my screen. I will be very sad when it eventually gives up the ghost or when I can no longer get the inks. I pretty much do what Brian said above, do a couple of test runs but seldom need to change the image. The place I go to for my paper provides ICC Profiles but I haven’t felt like I needed them.

That still makes no sense to me. There’s no “blue” in CMYK. RGB is something totally different.
CMYK are the base colours, blue is in there by mixing cyan and magenta. Just like in RGB, cyan is there by mixing blue and green. The relationships between the colours are the same in both additive and subtractive colour wheels. So yellow is between red and green on both for example.
wheel.jpg

One of the articles I read said that CMY on their own can look a bit washed out because they don't make true black. Black is the forth "colour" because it adds definition and clarity, which makes it key. K stands for Key.

Edit........................... Ah, I see others have answered this already.... doh!

When it comes to printer colours and screen calibration I have to say that my eyes tend to glaze over. I’ve got serious books about it but luckily my Epson Stylus Pro 3885 does a superb job of reproducing what I have on my screen. I will be very sad when it eventually gives up the ghost or when I can no longer get the inks. I pretty much do what Brian said above, do a couple of test runs but seldom need to change the image. The place I go to for my paper provides ICC Profiles but I haven’t felt like I needed them.
Have you ever noticed that proof reading a project on the computer screen doesn’t seem to turn up errors as well as seeing it on paper? For me it’s the same when printing photos. I notice things in a printed photo that didn’t seem important on the screen. Perhaps it reaches a different level of expression in solid form. Whatever the case, it may even take a while but I always seem to take an image further than the first printing.

That still makes no sense to me. There’s no “blue” in CMYK. RGB is something totally different.
You know those pictures where you see two faces looking towards each other in profile, and then you also see it as a goblet? The connection between RGB and CMYK is like that. They aren’t separate or different worlds. They are two sides of the same thing. Yin & Yang.
There’s a similar illusion where the image of an old woman turns into a young woman. Sometimes it’s a struggle to see the second image but once you’ve seen it you wonder why you couldn’t see before.
Working in RGB is like working with colour slides with the light shining from behind them while CMYK is more like printing from a print film negative onto paper.

CMYK are the base colours, blue is in there by mixing cyan and magenta. Just like in RGB, cyan is there by mixing blue and green. The relationships between the colours are the same in both additive and subtractive colour wheels. So yellow is between red and green on both for example.
View attachment 120035
One of the articles I read said that CMY on their own can look a bit washed out because they don't make true black. Black is the forth "colour" because it adds definition and clarity, which makes it key. K stands for Key.

Edit........................... Ah, I see others have answered this already.... doh!
It’s like the way a paper print never looks as vibrant as a picture on the screen. In one the light is coming from the image while the other requires light to be reflected from it in order to see it. RGB is the picture with the radiance of its own internal light source. A high quality print may reach a contrast range of 150:1 while an LCD monitor is at least 1000:1. A paper print just can’t compete with that.
It is physically impossible to achieve the brightness of whites or the depth of blacks on paper that is there on a screen.
RGB is like looking at the sunset while CMYK is like turning around and looking at the view the sunset light is falling upon.

To see a printed picture properly you should be viewing by a colour correct light source. The apparent colour of the print changes with the ambient lighting conditions. A print also suffers from glare and reflections that further diffuse the dark tones.

When you see the simulation of a printed result on a computer monitor naturally it looks dull compared to an unrestrained RGB image. Even so, in most cases the onscreen CMYK preview looks better than the paper result.

Maybe this will help?
  • In traditional preparation of color separations, a red keyline on the black line art marked the outline of solid or tint color areas. In some cases a black keyline was used when it served as both a color indicator and an outline to be printed in black. Because usually the black plate contained the keyline, the K in CMYK represents the keyline or black plate, also sometimes called the key plate.
:lmao::zip:

View attachment 120035

You know those pictures where you see two faces looking towards each other in profile, and then you also see it as a goblet? The connection between RGB and CMYK is like that. They aren’t separate or different worlds. They are two sides of the same thing. Yin & Yang.
There’s a similar illusion where the image of an old woman turns into a young woman. Sometimes it’s a struggle to see the second image but once you’ve seen it you wonder why you couldn’t see before.
Working in RGB is like working with colour slides with the light shining from behind them while CMYK is more like printing from a print film negative onto paper.
:weary::dizzy::weary:

Have you ever noticed that proof reading a project on the computer screen doesn’t seem to turn up errors as well as seeing it on paper? For me it’s the same when printing photos. I notice things in a printed photo that didn’t seem important on the screen. Perhaps it reaches a different level of expression in solid form. Whatever the case, it may even take a while but I always seem to take an image further than the first printing.
Oh yes, definitely. In both cases. When I’ve printed an image, something stands out as absolutely wrong and I can’t believe I didn’t see it before.

I have photographer friend who tells me that the cold makes everything bluer than normal. She told me with such throw away matter of factness that I didnt question it at the time but I've since googled it and can't find anything to support or disprove the idea. I get that snow can mess with white balance but low temperatures on their own? Anyone have any insight on that?
20190130_073212.jpg

20190130_073204-01.jpeg

I have photographer friend who tells me that the cold makes everything bluer than normal. She told me with such throw away matter of factness that I didnt question it at the time but I've since googled it and can't find anything to support or disprove the idea. I get that snow can mess with white balance but low temperatures on their own? Anyone have any insight on that?
View attachment 120164
View attachment 120165
Lovely! I think it’s true, but I don’t know if it makes me feel blue or it really looks that way. If that makes any sense.

View attachment 120164
View attachment 120165
That makes no sense to me... (but most tech stuff does so who am I to say o_O) Unless it’s so cold - like subzero temps or something - that it messes with the functionality of your camera, but then I would think the camera just wouldn’t work, not that it would somehow change the lighting. It feels like an old wives tale type of belief.

Back
Top Bottom