MobiWorkshop MW6 - Pictorial Abstraction

Pictorial Abstraction refers to a genre of photos that were made seeing the subject in other than the literal way.
I'm testing my grasp of this here. I would say that the first of the following two photos is not pictorial abstraction and the second one is.

A578EBF0-64AB-45CA-A65E-D9FE938B1AD0.jpeg

D36E0EF2-7537-4EC7-8F90-D12765331405.jpeg

Abstraction is seeing the wood but not the trees. It's stripping away irrelevant detail and context till you find something that stands on it's own. It's a simplification, distillation or reduction.
Cook a beef stew and you have a beef stew. Reduce the liquid off and you have a beef casserole. Remove stuff and what you have is different.
Hussain Bolts' fastest time over 100 meters is an abstraction of who he is. Its a single measure that completely misses all his other personal qualities and traits but still sums him up to a large part of the world.
Abstraction is not very interested in the wider context so doesn't narrate.
This is not abstract. You can pull a context out of it, maybe even a story.View attachment 121315

This is moving towards abstract. Although theres no narrative, if you know what to look for there's a local, cultural context.
View attachment 121316
This is abstract. You can recognise it as paint on a floor in a developed country but it could be anywhere and there's very little to say anymore if you don't know the background.
View attachment 121317
And this is very abstract. If I don't tell you what it is you're not very likely to guess.View attachment 121318
Very well said and illustrated. :notworthy:

View attachment 121303
Can anyone actually define what an abstract is, in simple language? I've read the definitions on the web I'm I'm still confused.
This is just a reflection on the train..........abstract to me, but maybe to others just a reflection.
Having said that, do we really want to hang labels on everything? Can't it just be a pleasing image.
We could label your photo as John’s Pleasing Image if you like. No, I’m not looking for labels and it isn’t necessary for the photos to be pleasing, unless that is the aim of the photographer. They may want to make the image displeasing or provoking instead. It is also possible the photographer didn’t have any emotional thoughts about the image besides being fascinated with the shapes or patterns produced.
The main thing is that in this particular thread we are exploring images that were seen and composed by the maker as abstract right from the beginning and the photos don’t require any additional manipulation to be abstracts. How they fit into the larger sphere of abstract photography might be an interesting discussion but not essential here.

Abstract or merely an out of focus shot in the rain?
View attachment 121308
I would say it depends on whether you saw it as an abstract at the time you pressed the shutter. Whether other people see it as an abstract might be some measure in how successful you were in making an abstract image out of what you had to work with.

Crossing the Line:
After reading all of the discussions about this topic I started to think about that transition from an ordinary subject to abstract. At what point does it cross the line into abstract? Since this thread is mostly about Pictorial Abstraction I decided to start with subjects at a landscape scale.
91633BB4-09CD-458B-9D29-3B0F65A22651.jpeg

Here is a landscape/seascape in which sand ripples are featured as a main in element, but it still remains a scenic photo.

B6FEFF06-B240-4D15-B508-010749F5E7C3.jpeg

I think you cross the line from landscape to abstract when you see sand ripples as lines and shapes and the fact they are sand ripples becomes secondary.

The question remains, how far from real does an abstract need to be? Sometimes just taken out of context is enough. Some people would rather that the source material for an abstract is completely unrecognizable

Instant Abstract.
87532D9A-D63D-46B9-9B05-FEFDF888277C.jpeg

You get instant abstracts when you photograph something that is already an abstract and all you have to do is frame it and press the shutter. You don’t actually create the abstract since it is already abstract to begin with. In this case the pattern is a chemical stain on an old piece of photographic print paper.

Removing context.
A8F7DF16-3768-46CE-B2A2-971D64DC71C8.jpeg

If I had not made a close up to remove the outer parts of the subject (context) you would instantly recognize this as a jellyfish washed up on the beach. In fact, if you have seen enough jellyfish washed up on the beach you still might recognize it as such.

F7A6CB93-BB49-42D8-92B9-37B5DC922BB4.jpeg

If you could see more of this subject you would instantly see it as a big lump of green glass (about 25 lb big). It is only made into an abstract by removing the context.

Unfamiliar Subject.
16FD83B8-FC21-486B-826B-A8D066B44797.jpeg

This is a completely straight photo and even if you knew the particular sculpture/water feature at the restaurant you still might not recognize it just because of the viewpoint and framing.

89A064D5-CEE1-4350-A030-357DC0BF59FC.jpeg

Familiar object but seen in a different way. This is the plastic liner from a box of chocolates, but turned upside down. It had a lovely gold finish and picked up reflections nicely.

Last edited:
Unfamiliar viewpoint.
B13BA600-80F4-4BF9-8C25-BFC2731E780C.jpeg

Looking straight up at the frame of a teepee against an overcast sky.

5E2A9EA3-A9E9-4300-A174-9CF239B218DA.jpeg

Familiar object, unfamiliar angle. A regular pull-down window blind, but photographed from the edge.

CB7893BE-7ACD-4141-9A1F-B0F8CC1E8068.jpeg

The unfamiliarity can be further enhanced by some overexposure.

Exploring familiar objects.
1CB7BB0A-A5D9-4689-88EB-77BADF669266.jpeg

Looking through the base of a drinking glass. A lot of the colour comes from the placemat underneath and other things at the table but the optical distortions come from the glass itself. Just slight changes in angle changed everything.

The What’s-It?
Making close-up of familiar objects can be great fun.
2B06A908-0BB8-4AD8-AB64-0B98A3D597FD.jpeg

If you have ever looked closely at the reflectors on your car you might recognize this.

A34CB61A-BD12-4894-85CE-AE6470FDDFAB.jpeg

But maybe one of the clear reflectors would not be so familiar.

2F137087-C3A5-451B-BF94-C7250071D25B.jpeg

Everyone has seen condensation inside the plastic wrap covering leftovers taken out of the fridge. Cranberries makes for nice colour.

From here we could easily slide into Nature Close-up Abstractions. That area of exploration is huge, but perhaps getting too far away from Pictorial.

I know cityscapes are full of good abstraction material. The edge of a stairway against something with other lines beyond that. Endless. I’m mostly surrounded by trees.

Abstraction is seeing the wood but not the trees. It's stripping away irrelevant detail and context till you find something that stands on it's own. It's a simplification, distillation or reduction.
Cook a beef stew and you have a beef stew. Reduce the liquid off and you have a beef casserole. Remove stuff and what you have is different.
Hussain Bolts' fastest time over 100 meters is an abstraction of who he is. Its a single measure that completely misses all his other personal qualities and traits but still sums him up to a large part of the world.
Abstraction is not very interested in the wider context so doesn't narrate.
This is not abstract. You can pull a context out of it, maybe even a story.View attachment 121315

This is moving towards abstract. Although theres no narrative, if you know what to look for there's a local, cultural context.
View attachment 121316
This is abstract. You can recognise it as paint on a floor in a developed country but it could be anywhere and there's very little to say anymore if you don't know the background.
View attachment 121317
And this is very abstract. If I don't tell you what it is you're not very likely to guess.View attachment 121318
A nice progression, all interesting.

An abstract created by taking an out-of-focus shot in the rain? If I'd taken it and really wanted it to look abstract, I'd have cropped it like this and maybe titled it "Squid Rising":

View attachment 121321

I guess we need some kind of definition to be able to talk about it, but I don't think about categories like abstract or still life when I'm working on an image -- it's something I have to come up with later if I'm entering an image in a contest, and then it gives me hell trying to decide where something fits.
This problem of trying to decide where something fits when entering a contest is exactly where the Pictorial Abstraction category came from.

Back
Top Bottom