Welcome to MobiTog - The Original Mobile Photography Community!
THE Original Global Community for Mobile Photographers - Everywhere...

You are currently viewing our community forums as a guest user. Sign up or
Having an account grants you additional privileges, such as creating and participating in discussions.

1. GOT A NEW DEVICE? You lucky MobiMember - don’t forget to update your Profile!
    Dismiss Notice

New Nate Park - IPA

Discussion in 'Announcements' started by Venomator, 19 November 2016.

1. Venomator

Venomator MobiAdmin Admin Site Staff

Rog...
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Hello good friends and followers of MobiTog... ;)

We have some news about Nate Park, who many of you will know from your IPA days and who has been a prominent figure in the world of Mobile Photography & Mobile Art for many years!

Nate is seriously ill right now and Daria has asked if we would hold him in our thoughts... :barf:

Our good friend and MobiMember, (Egraphic) Bob Weil, penned a few words on social media at Daria's request and it is probably best if we reproduce that here, rather than reinvent the wheel.

Social Media Post By Bob Weil (Egraphic):

Dear Friends in the iPhoneography world - The reason I’m posting today, to all of you who care so much for Nate Park and Daria Polichetti, is that I thought you’d want to know about Nate, as his health has taken a serious turn for the worse.
    NatePark.jpg

As you may or may not know, Nate was diagnosed with Follicular Lymphoma in the middle of 2013, six months after he and Daria were married (and about a year after the 2012 Los Angeles Mobile Arts Festival). He went though chemo and he went into remission for about 18 months. But then, things started to come back. And this year has been a real struggle. He started getting much worse early in the year. So far nothing has been able to reverse the growth. Obviously it’s been a really tough time. He needs a stem cell transplant, but he needs to get back into remission or closer to it before that's possible.

Hearing from friends and family has been really nice for him, and helping to keep his spirits up. Daria reached out to me this week, and wrote: "I mostly just wanted to let you know, and if there are others you think may really want to hear the news, you are free to let them know. Mostly at this point, we are just hoping and praying that we can find something to help him turn the corner."

For so many people, Nate and Daria have been an inspiration, a lightening rod and beacon for a new way of taking pictures and creating art. You don't need me to tell you - Nate and Daria are both well-loved by so many of us who have been working quietly on our art during the time the two of them hosted their groundbreaking site - iPhoneArt.com. They have been our advocates (sometimes our first and only advocates), advisors, and curators - and they selflessly poured heart and soul (and treasure) into bringing this art to the attention of the world through the one, and only, 2012 Los Angeles Mobile Arts Festival.

Friends and family set up a gofundme page for Nate’s health - really to show support for Nate and Daria, and to send them a few extra dollars to enjoy a night out, or pick up something they couldn't otherwise afford. If you're interested in taking a look, here's the link: https://www.gofundme.com/team-nate. (Daria wanted me to be sure you knew that no one is being asked to contribute, this was set up without their knowledge).

But my primary reason for posting today is to ask you all to consider contributing an image, or more than one image, to a special Flickr page dedicated to Nate. The goal of the page is to help him rally and gain enough strength for another round of treatment. Please, let everyone you know who participated in the Los Angeles Mobile Arts Festival or in iPhoneArt.com, or who in any way had their lives touched by Nate and Daria, about this Flickr page.

Here is the new Flickr page - Nate Park Loves iPhoneography:

https://www.flickr.com/groups/2911851@N23/pool/

PLEASE TELL ALL OF YOUR FRIENDS WHO HAVE BEEN TOUCHED BY NATE AND DARIA TO POST THEIR IMAGES AND MESSAGES AS SOON AS THEY CAN - TIME IS OF THE ESSENCE! LOVE TO ALL OF YOU FROM DARIA FOR YOUR THOUGHTS AND PRAYERS!

JillyG likes this.
  2. RoseCat

RoseCat MobiStaff Site Staff MobiSupporter

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    My heart goes out to Nate and Daria, who I had the extreme pleasure to meet at the LA Mobile Art Festival. They are both kind, genuine people, and passionate about the arts.

All my love goes out to them both... [emoji27][emoji173]️

lisamjw, Venomator and JillyG like this.
  3. West End Girl

West End Girl MobiPassionista

Laura
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    So very sorry...prayers

RoseCat, JillyG and Venomator like this.
  4. Egraphic

Egraphic MobiLurver MobiSupporter

Thanks for sharing this with Nate and Daria's friends at Mobitog.

If anyone had the opportunity to attend the Los Angeles Mobile Arts Festival in 2012, perhaps they might have an image they would like to share - taken at the event, or perhaps of the work they had featured there?

Here's an image I captured in one of the many amazing spaces Nate and Daria created:

[​IMG]

zenjenny, lisamjw, Venomator and 2 others like this.
  5. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    IMG_5338.JPG

IMG_4129.JPG

IMG_4127.JPG

It was an amazing event... one of the best I've ever attended, and I still feel honored to have been part of it.

6. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    IMG_5351.JPG
    My images, top row [emoji4]

IMG_5341.JPG

IMG_5355.JPG

7. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    One of my fave images:

IMG_3257.JPG
    L-R Kimberly Post, Adria Ellis, Daria and me

8. JillyG

JillyG MobiLifer Mobi Veteran

Jilly
    Device:
    iPhone Xs Max
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Lovely images Catherine of what looks like it was a wonderful event. But how things can change. It puts things in perspective. My thoughts go to Nate and Daria. I know how Daria must be feeling first hand.

lisamjw, RoseCat and Venomator like this.
  9. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    [emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️[emoji173]️

zenjenny, JillyG and Venomator like this.
  10. Venomator

Rog...
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    NatePark.jpg

Thank you both for sharing your iMages with us... :thumbs:

And thanks to everyone for you kind words and comments, which I have mentioned to Daria in my recent e-mail to her.

This morning, quite unexpectedly, I received a reply from Daria in my Inbox, I say unexpectedly because she has enough to deal with and I was not anticipating receiving anything from her, it was enough to know we had passed on your kindness!

Anyway, here is the relevant part of Daria's response, which I know she will not mind me sharing with you all... ;)

Hi Rog,

Apologies for not responding sooner, it’s great to hear from you, thank you for the kind words. Nate was diagnosed with Follicular Lymphoma in 2013, which is supposed to be very slow growing and able to be managed over many years. But this year it started behaving like a much more aggressive lymphoma, which is why he is struggling now.

We continue to hope for the best, and are getting ready for t-cell therapy in January, hoping he can remain stable enough with chemo until then. It’s been a rough several years, but this year in particular. So all the encouragement and support from everyone has meant a great deal to him, and me as well. The Flickr group you all started is so great, I’m deciding when the best moment is to share. He’s doing chemo over Thanksgiving, so I’m thinking maybe this weekend after he recovers a bit would be a good time to show him everything.

I know it will mean so much to him, so thank you all for that.

Thank you again, and wishing you the best…

-daria

Please do keep the love coming and let us all keep Nate & Daria in our thoughts as they keep on fighting this challenge... :inlove:

And, if you have a spare five minutes, do pop over to the Flickr Group and drop an iMage or two in, and it would be great if you mention the Love from MobiTog along with your post there... :D

Thanks to you all, from Daria... x x :rog:

11. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Beautiful images, Catherine.

RoseCat likes this.
  12. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Thanks Ann. You would have loved it. One of the most beautiful, creative and inspiring shows I've ever been to.

ImageArt likes this.
  13. ImageArt

ImageArt MobiLifer MobiSupporter

Ann
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Wow, what a time.

Last edited: 25 November 2016
    RoseCat likes this.
  14. zenjenny

zenjenny MobiStaff Site Staff

jen
    Device:
    iPhone 6s Plus
    Looks like a lot of love and care, nottomention a good *eye*, went into that exhibition.

JillyG, RoseCat and Venomator like this.
  15. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
  16. odilonvert

odilonvert Un-moderated me!... MobiSupporter

Jennifer Sharpe
    So sorry to hear this news - Venomator sent me a message, I haven't been here in a while.

I joined IPA later in the game (around the time the exhibit above was happening), but the community is one which I'll never forget. It pulled me into what you can do with mobile images very quickly. I use my phone for photography daily, documenting the environment around me in my own way. Of the few photos I've exhibited at the gallery I'm associated with (I'm mainly a fimmaker), all have been taken with my phone. !

Have joined the Flickr group and will post an image from my latest obsession (scratch graffiti I find around me on my daily commutes on the subway), taken with Hipstamatic.

MUCH love, hope and prayers to Nate and to Daria.

lisamjw, RoseCat, JillyG and 2 others like this.
  17. Venomator

Rog...
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    Thanks for dropping by Jennifer, it's been a while... ;)

However, that is the beauty of MobiTog, we will always be here for our members and will always try and keep the community up to speed with key events affecting the Mobile Art World... :thumbs:

Unfortunately, it is not always good news, but it allow us all to share in the good stuff as well as the not so good... :rog:

So, drop by when you fancy and we will always be happy
    to see you, whenever and however!

Hugs, V... :D

18. Egraphic

Egraphic MobiLurver MobiSupporter

Thanks for posting this picture of some of the lovely people I got a chance to know during the exhibition.

(And that large image in the upper left, and the three to the right happen to be some of mine that were at the show.)

zenjenny, Venomator and RoseCat like this.
  19. zenjenny

zenjenny MobiStaff Site Staff

jen
    Device:
    iPhone 6s Plus
    I recall that one of yours, Bob. A breakthrough image.

Venomator and Egraphic like this.
  20. Venomator

Rog...
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    AN UPDATE ON Nate’s progress received from Bob Weil ( Egraphic ), thank you much Bob... :thumbs:

By Bob Weil:
    An UPDATE for everyone - Nate is responding very to experimental therapies, and while the treatment will take a year, I understand the long term prognosis is very good. Thank you all for prayers and best wishes!

21. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    SUCH GOOD NEWS!!!!!! :inlove::inlove::inlove:

I admit I got scared seeing this pop up on the home page.... sooooooo very happy to hear this!! He was recently on my mind, too.

lisamjw and Venomator like this.
  22. lisamjw

lisamjw MobiStaff Site Staff

Lisa Waddell
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Wonderful news! Thanks for the update.

Venomator likes this.
  23. RoseCat

Catherine
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    It is with so much joy in my heart that I’m posting this update I got from Kimberly Post who received this wonderful news from Daria!!! :inlove::inlove::inlove:

“At the beginning of 2017, we were really at the end of the road with Nate. He couldn’t walk or eat, or even really breathe. They were draining 2 liters of fluid from his lungs weekly. It was all so horrible, I can’t even really explain it. But then something amazing happened.

Just as the doctors were telling us to say our good-byes, we got the last slot in a CAR T-cell clinical trial up in Seattle. We managed to get Nate up there (barely) and get him qualified (barely.) And to make a long story short — he finally received the treatment, and a month later he was 100% cancer free. It really was shocking. After what was essentially 5 years of struggle and trauma — with one treatment after the next, and none of them working, and everything constantly getting worse. He was in such bad shape when he finally got the T-cell therapy, even the doctors were shocked by the incredibly fast and complete turn around.

It was pretty amazing. But after that were were told we needed to follow it up with a stem cell transplant (the only known cure for what Nate had) in order to keep it from coming back again. It’s another really rough treatment. It has something like a 25% fatality rate in the first year after the procedure. But on the up side, if it goes well, it has a great track record of curing Nate’s type of lymphoma. It also has a year long recover period. But we needed to do it, so we found a donor that was a 100% match, and Nate went back into the hospital in April 2017 and got the transplant.

Everything went perfectly. It was a long recovery, but this April, he got a new PET scan, and confirmed he was still 100% cancer free a year later, which is fantastic. We’re now at a year and a half, and looking forward to getting to the 2 year mark with no relapse. We are told if Nate makes it 2 years without relapse, then typically that means the transplant was a success and the cancer is not likely to come back after that. We are very optimistic that we’ll get to that mark, and so grateful to have finally gotten through all this.”

JillyG, zenjenny, lisamjw and 2 others like this.
  24. lisamjw

lisamjw MobiStaff Site Staff

Lisa Waddell
    Device:
    iPhone 7 Plus
    Such wonderful news! I had been thinking of him not too long ago.

JillyG and RoseCat like this.
  25. Venomator

Rog...
    Device:
    iPhone X
    My 365:
    My MobiTog 365
    This is fabulous news of a wonderful outcome for Nate & Daria, such a heartwarming story, love it... :inlove:

Thank you for re-posting for us Catherine, we all appreciate such brilliant news... :thumbs:

I will contact Daria on all our behalf to let her know we are thinking of them both and are so very happy with this news... :rog:

lisamjw, JillyG and RoseCat like this.