B&W RESULT: #152 Black & White Challenge

And results are in. This was not easy. For the first go, I looked for images that are improved and or became more interesting with conversion to B&W. On the second pass, I looked for story and or mystery. ON the third pass, I wanted flow rather than busyness. So you may see a theme of leading lines. The Honorable Mentions impressed me with technique ... clear focus, beautifully contrasted tones, etc.

Ist Place: Jilly G. For some reason I kept thinking shoemaker in his dark hut while the world waits so close by. But it's not actually a shoe maker shop. The two textures divided out the window are beautiful.
View attachment 151878

2nd Place: Dscheff. Love the shadow ... this picture was made eerie by conversion! Great flow ... I can imagine lots of movement without it being busy all over. Seems a bit subversive against pretty flower pictures :)

View attachment 151879

3rd Place: Rizole. Love the false triptych idea. Love the combo of grittiness below nature. Love the contrast. Softer contrast above the high contrast of grafitti. Power of nature, good story.

View attachment 151880

I have some Honorable Mentions! As stated above, they had outstanding B&W techniques and or features.

JillyG, Kentaro, SinnerJohn, Kevin Barret. Sinnerjohn's folded town was so evocative of an old folded picture... I've moved several times and my previous towns could be folded up this way :)

View attachment 151882View attachment 151883View attachment 151885View attachment 151886

This was one of the most interesting Sunday mornings I've had in a long time. I found something great in every photo but it wouldn't be a contest if I didn't allow myself to choose a few over a lot :) Congrats everyone.
We’re traveling through the mountains of North Carolina so cellular, and internet, are not a given. Congratulations Jilly! That’s an awesome capture. I’m surprised and amazed to be in this group of artists. Thank you! Congratulations also to Rizole, and indeed to everyone else

Back
Top Bottom