B&W RESULT: #153 Black & White Challenge

Hmmm....isn’t this a bit abstract or Appstract? Do you have a color version, or if not black and white can be as appstract as anything else. Just saying.....
I’ll probably close the thread on Sunday (11/24).
Thanks for the kind invite Star and in that sense compliment. Yes it is a little bit abstract, I like abstract photography a lot. But most of what goes on and don't get me wrong I admire what goes on, in the appstract thread is collage or photo manipulation, using several apps etc.
What Jen and others like yourself do in that thread is more art , in my eyes at least, than photography.
The bus image is not manipulated in anyway apart from in the app that it was taken, then converted to b/w in snapseed.

Looking at the current thread, apart from Catherine's image which is the most traditional, all the rest are what I'd call 'photo art' rather than photography. I'm not saying photography can't be art, I think it can very much be art and abstract, but I'm not sure it belongs in the appstract thread.

Thanks for the kind invite Star and in that sense compliment. Yes it is a little bit abstract, I like abstract photography a lot. But most of what goes on and don't get me wrong I admire what goes on, in the appstract thread is collage or photo manipulation, using several apps etc.
What Jen and others like yourself do in that thread is more art , in my eyes at least, than photography.
The bus image is not manipulated in anyway apart from in the app that it was taken, then converted to b/w in snapseed.

Looking at the current thread, apart from Catherine's image which is the most traditional, all the rest are what I'd call 'photo art' rather than photography. I'm not saying photography can't be art, I think it can very much be art and abstract, but I'm not sure it belongs in the appstract thread.
. the apps are fun and I’ve made a few collage type things but I totally get this distinction. We should have a category ... for instance I have a couple of pictures that look abstract because they are close ups of unexpected things and I composed them to fill the whole frame. Hmmm... throw in some blur and I’ll be a contender for you sinnerjohn

Snowy morning
iPhone wide angle/Hipsta/photos app desaturation
A452916C-3A13-4B12-A9CF-43B89B38CF25.jpeg

I’ve been dangling about, eating toast and marmalade and drinking coffee, and THEN I realised that I haven’t closed the Black and White Challenge. So, consider it CLOSED. It is now the job of ... ME to do the judging. :lol: It’s an honour and a privilege and I will be back soon with my favourites.:)

After much deliberation, I have chosen sdimbour Sandra, with her Bridge Art, as the winner. I love the preoccupation of the beautifully-lit girl on the bridge, seemingly oblivious to that lovely “mandala” beneath. Great spot Sandra.
E721D8D1-1735-494C-825B-F15B7D5CEA5F.jpeg

Coming in a close second is sinnerjohn John with Another blurred bus in black and white with Bluristic. I’m a big fan of blurred images and I strive to get a good one, and this is a good one.
A8FAD4E6-59CF-4DF2-9AF9-A65D552D43FD.jpeg

Third is TomHH Tom with On My Way. I love the way the wavy-roofed building echoes the shape of a tall ship in full sail. It’s a beautifully sharp image with so much to look at.
F0647EA1-C6E4-49C0-B07F-7407DD99290C.jpeg

There was something to love in each and every one of the submissions - composition, subject, editing, lighting - another wonderful set of images. How do you do it week in, week out? I think you’re all marvellous.:hearteyes:

After much deliberation, I have chosen sdimbour Sandra, with her Bridge Art, as the winner. I love the preoccupation of the beautifully-lit girl on the bridge, seemingly oblivious to that lovely “mandala” beneath. Great spot Sandra.
View attachment 152142

Coming in a close second is sinnerjohn John with Another blurred bus in black and white with Bluristic. I’m a big fan of blurred images and I strive to get a good one, and this is a good one.
View attachment 152141

Third is TomHH Tom with On My Way. I love the way the wavy-roofed building echoes the shape of a tall ship in full sail. It’s a beautifully sharp image with so much to look at.
View attachment 152140

There was something to love in each and every one of the submissions - composition, subject, editing, lighting - another wonderful set of images. How do you do it week in, week out? I think you’re all marvellous.:hearteyes:
Good choice Jilly and congrats sdimbour . Sandra always seems to see things that would probably pass me by, her 365 is a photographers treasure trove.
Cheers for my number 2 :thumbs: and yay to fellow Pixel abuser TomHH.

View attachment 152142

View attachment 152141

View attachment 152140

Yes I’m learning to be a fan of blurred images ... these are great picks, congrats everyone! I love the variety of techniques everyone brings to the b&w challenges

View attachment 152142

View attachment 152141

View attachment 152140

Smashing choices. Well done sdimbour, sinnerjohn and TomHH. :D

View attachment 152142

View attachment 152141

View attachment 152140

Excellent choices Jilly! Congrats sdimbour Sandra! Your image is fantastic. :inlove: High fives & fist bumps to sinnerjohn and TomHH - excellent work gentlemen!

waowww!!! Thanks JillyG for that 1st place in this week challenge. I’m just very proud and happy to judge next week.
Congrats sinnerjohn and TomHH
Love your pics!

View attachment 152142

View attachment 152141

View attachment 152140

Back
Top Bottom