B&W RESULT: #209 Black & White Challenge

It’s that time again - blimey, the weeks are whizzing by! Time to CLOSE this particular Black & White Challenge and ask terse Ted to choose his favourites. Whenever you’re ready Ted. :thumbs:

It’s that time again - blimey, the weeks are whizzing by! Time to CLOSE this particular Black & White Challenge and ask terse Ted to choose his favourites. Whenever you’re ready Ted. :thumbs:
Well, I have to say a marvellous selection of shots. Don’t envy Ted. Am I imagining it or are the folks finally coming out of the covid doldrums?

Well, I have to say a marvellous selection of shots. Don’t envy Ted. Am I imagining it or are the folks finally coming out of the covid doldrums?
I think you’re right Ann. That and a few more new, enthusiastic members. I‘m not confident enough yet to go back to a weekly B&W Challenge, but I think it’s coming. :D

I think the black and white challenge is the hardest to judge.
I suppose it’s because it’s a free-for-all and so there‘s no eliminations because they don’t fit the theme. Ted’s an old hand though! :lol:

I suppose it’s because it’s a free-for-all and so there‘s no eliminations because they don’t fit the theme. Ted’s an old hand though! :lol:
That might be part of it, but I just like black and white better than color.

I think you’re right Ann. That and a few more new, enthusiastic members. I‘m not confident enough yet to go back to a weekly B&W Challenge, but I think it’s coming. :D
4 to 6 pages of submissions per week on average pre-covid.
3 to 4 pages every 2 weeks over the doldrums with an upturn of 4 to 5 in the last few months which is edging back up to the lower end of pre-covid submission rates.

Dark tones and drama swept the field in this round:

First goes to rizole for "Clearing 2," although his "On the clock," "Under the boardwalk," and "Wet plant fluff" could also have been winners. "Clearing 2" is a very dark image, but if you look into it, you can see lots of detail and light within the dark. The best part for me, though, is the depth in the image, with the light and the faint footpath leading you all the way to the glimmer of light at the very back (which also happens to be the very middle). I'd be thrilled to have captured this myself, and I'd be printing and hanging it as large as I could.

img_20210711_150957-01-jpeg.169732

Second goes to sinnerjohn for "Gormenghast" with its dramatic perspective and suitably brooding tones. Although a histogram would show that it isn't nearly as dark as the previous image -- it's more than half pale sky -- the angle of view, the detailed masses of the rocks and the building, and that nice diagonal split between dark and light all give it a dark drama.

pxl_20210802_140022875-2-jpg.169584

Third goes to WOTANICUS for his dramtically-lit self-portrait "The Abyss Gazes Also Into Him," with its dark surround and 3/4 lighting doing an excellent job of modeling the space and creating the mood. (And if anyone here has never tried a self portrait, you have no idea how hard it can be to avoid wincing at the snap or mugging for the camera or immediately trashing the results and swearing never to do it again.)

img_e0378-1-jpg.169320

Honorable Mentions go to NickLeon for the beautiful tones and light in "Shoplifters beware…" and deepop for the excellent bird-in-flight capture "Red tailed hawk."

First goes to rizole for "Clearing 2," although his "On the clock," "Under the boardwalk," and "Wet plant fluff" could also have been winners. "Clearing 2" is a very dark image, but if you look into it, you can see lots of detail and light within the dark. The best part for me, though, is the depth in the image, with the light and the faint footpath leading you all the way to the glimmer of light at the very back (which also happens to be the very middle). I'd be thrilled to have captured this myself, and I'd be printing and hanging it as large as I could.

Second goes to sinnerjohn for "Gormenghast" with its dramatic perspective and suitably brooding tones. Although a histogram would show that it isn't nearly as dark as the previous image -- it's more than half pale sky -- the angle of view, the detailed masses of the rocks and the building, and that nice diagonal split between dark and light all give it a dark drama.

Third goes to WOTANICUS for his dramtically-lit self-portrait "The Abyss Gazes Also Into Him," with its dark surround and 3/4 lighting doing an excellent job of modeling the space and creating the mood. (And if anyone here has never tried a self portrait, you have no idea how hard it can be to avoid wincing at the snap or mugging for the camera or immediately trashing the results and swearing never to do it again.)

img_e0378-1-jpg.169320

Honorable Mentions go to NickLeon for the beautiful tones and light in "Shoplifters beware…" and deepop for the excellent bird-in-flight capture "Red tailed hawk."
Lovely lovely judging Ted. Congratulations to rizole Rizole - a worthy winner for all the reasons Ted gave. :notworthy: Great images from sinnerjohn John and WOTANICUS Bill too - well done. High fives for the HMs, NickLeon Nick and deepop David. Hugs to everyone who posted - some of those even went into Image of the Month, which is marvellous. I will now wander down the forest track to The Gallery with Rizole’s Clearing 2. If you go down to the woods today … la la la.:lol:

img_e0378-1-jpg.169320

Congrats rizole, a nice inky black masterpiece there. Thanks for my second shout Ted and Yay to WOTANICUS too.

img_e0378-1-jpg.169320

Thank you :D.
Congrats sinnerjohn and WOTANICUS, excellent shots each.

Well thank you very much, very surprised that my ugly mug is capable of winning anything these days! Great choices from Sinnerjohn and Rizole too, very dramatic and mystic images, with excellent technical sophistication. Well done all!

img_e0378-1-jpg.169320

Excellent choices! Nice work!

Back
Top Bottom