APPstract RESULT: APPStract #43 From 1 October Until Sometime After That. Theme: Steal Like an Artist

Starzee

IOTM Winner - Jul 20, Feb 22
MobiStaff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone15
Onsite
Project Page
APPstract #43

7dd3473d-b874-44bc-9ed9-1b44cfb85f62-jpeg.160977.jpeg

“Form itself, even if completely abstract ... has its own inner sound.”
― Wassily Kandinsky

“We want you to take from us. We want you, at first, to steal from us, because you can’t steal. You will take what we give you and you will put it in your own voice and that’s how you will find your voice. And that’s how you begin. And then one day someone will steal from you.” —Francis Ford Coppola

“But nobody is visually naive any longer. We are cluttered with images, and only abstract art can bring us to the threshold of the divine.”
― Dominique De Menil, The Rothko Chapel: Writings on Art and the Threshold of the Divine

Rules:
1. Interpret the theme
2. Use apps
3. Tell us something about your image/edit

Please see MobiTog challenge rules here

JUDGE: Starzee Star

THEME: Steal from an artist and give it your own voice.

112B71C0-F97F-48B6-BF21-ECCD9DA1FC71.jpeg

Last edited:
I wish I could put one of those in my house for Finnegan!
In this case, the installation was really easy. That particular door has glass panes in wood frames, so all we had to do was take one pane of glass out, and the cat door fit perfectly.

That looks dangerously close to closing on his tail!
The flap is plastic and very light. Hodge usually goes out slowly, so the flap just sort of slides down his back to his tail. He thinks the cat door is the greatest invention next to the can opener.

;) I am inspired by zenjenny Jen’s avatar for the theme this time around. I ran to my “Steel Like an Artist” book by Austin Kleon (Actually, I have it on Kindle, so I really just sat here.) and found this quote:
“We want you to take from us. We want you, at first, to steal from us, because you can’t steal. You will take what we give you and you will put it in your own voice and that’s how you will find your voice. And that’s how you begin. And then one day someone will steal from you.” —Francis Ford Coppola

So that’s it. Steal from an artist, give it your own voice. It’s sort of a repeat of a theme from an early APPStract, but it’s been awhile and it’s fun. At least, I think it’s fun.

;) I am inspired by zenjenny Jen’s avatar for the theme this time around. I ran to my “Steel Like an Artist” book by Austin Kleon (Actually, I have it on Kindle, so I really just sat here.) and found this quote:

So that’s it. Steal from an artist, give it your own voice. It’s sort of a repeat of a theme from an early APPStract, but it’s been awhile and it’s fun. At least, I think it’s fun.
Love this theme Star :inlove: The previous incarnation‘s ‘in the style of’ was wish-washy in comparison:lmao:

Moon over Miami

2CE7F08A-0B5D-449C-825A-F2AB54E6F564.jpeg

Found in Picasso’s broom closet. I think he abandoned it unfinished bcs of the spill of green paint on the red oblong. He’s such a perfectionist. Also looks like his colour fill in Union wasn’t working so great.

Last edited:
These three templates (sortof) follow a basic abstract-drawing tutorial I can’t dig up (I usually start with kid art lessons :D):
From memory:
1. Bisect your page diagonally with a wavy line
2. Add primary shapes to taste, overlapping
3. Colour

CEB23527-B208-4616-AE7D-7B91C44093F0.jpeg

For Step 3, the magic pen eraser is fun with a block colour, a pattern or an image (preferably someone else’s) on the bottom layer.

Last edited:
Moon over Miami

Found in Picasso’s broom closet. I think he abandoned it unfinished bcs of the spill of green paint on the red oblong. He’s such a perfectionist. Also looks like his colour fill in Union wasn’t working so great.
He should have used Procreate......

Of course I can’t compete, but I can’t just sit idly by while everyone else has the fun.
Just the background from APStract #39.
In the style of Rothk0.

Procreate

I had a great time trying to copy......
I wondered if that was your bg from #39 (brilliant image :notworthy: :inlove:). It blew up pretty well, didn’t it? I love Rothko‘s great exuberant swathes of colour. Your images have inspired me to have a go.

Damnit I wish I could get past the prologue of the Procreate manual.

I wondered if that was your bg from #39 (brilliant image :notworthy: :inlove:). It blew up pretty well, didn’t it? I love Rothko‘s great exuberant swathes of colour. Your images have inspired me to have a go.

Damnit I wish I could get past the prologue of the Procreate manual.
I‘m not sure what it is about apps, but it applies to other aspects of life. A person takes to certain things. I can’t get SketchClub to do the things you pull out of it. I like it, but I wind up sending whatever I’m working on to Procreate. I also watched about 700 videos on Procreate. That might have helped. I use the split screen option on the iPad. I watch on one screen, and practice on the other.

Back
Top Bottom