MobiColour RESULT: MC #111 Theme: Texture - March 12-18, 2018

Phenomenon

View attachment 107244

6Pod native, no edits.
I do not have any idea how this happens. At first I thought it's just wet and dry concrete, but because it is over the whole bridge, and just apart from some snowflakes tonight there was nothing wet. And it was feeeeezing cold especially on the bridge which says nothing really to dry it that party. But the wind was sharp like a knife. I watched closer and found that the darker parts all have bigger "cheese holes" while the light ones were much smoother, and there was a slight difference in height, but not enough to give you the feeling of wobbling underground while you walk over it. [emoji848] I have no idea of physics and such, but the only explanation that appeared logical to me is that the Peace Bridge has to cope with a lot of sharp winds. Also rain and sunshine might affect it, too. Maybe the wind slightly erased some concrete and because of circulation, maybe through the rail/fence on the bridge, maybe it actually stands on a perfect swirly spot or whatever, but it's like brushed off and the "wet" part is more brushed than the white. And they are huge bows. Here is more surrounding:

View attachment 107247

left: the bridge rail, right: the white line separates the bike lane and the other bit is the car lane.
I'll keep the bridge in mind and will take a shot from the pedestrian part whenever I'm back again over the year. It's puzzling me. [emoji848]
That is really weird... almost like some type of chemical reaction? But whatever it is, it sure makes for some cool designs!

but it's like brushed off and the "wet" part is more brushed than the white.
Those arcs look like something you'd make swinging your arm back and forth, as if you were cleaning or smoothing something. It made me think: Maybe the entire bridge was originally smooth like the lighter parts, but it was found to be too slippery for safe walking in the rain and ice, so it was sanded with some kind of machine to rough it up. I'm thinking of something like one of those big standup disk sanders used to smooth wooden floors.

Those arcs look like something you'd make swinging your arm back and forth, as if you were cleaning or smoothing something. It made me think: Maybe the entire bridge was originally smooth like the lighter parts, but it was found to be too slippery for safe walking in the rain and ice, so it was sanded with some kind of machine to rough it up. I'm thinking of something like one of those big standup disk sanders used to smooth wooden floors.
Reminds me of swinging your arms back and forth too and I wonder if the surface was finished by hand. I imagine the pattern happens because of variation in density and microbubble distribution from a manual finish causing uneven drying from being damp especially in freezing temperatures.

Last edited:
Reminds me of swinging your arms back and forth too and I wonder if the surface was finished by hand. I imagine the pattern happens because of variation in density and microbubble distribution from a manual finish causing uneven drying from being damp especially in freezing temperatures.
Yes, that’s what I thought.:rolleyes:

Yes, that's a far better explanation! No idea if true, but utterly logical. Or it's from cleaning machines? I really have to have a closer look next time. Also on the other side. Where is Sherlock when you need him? [emoji1]

Also possible besides the uneven drying. Every other part of the way I walked was completely dry, and the river can't spill up that far. The bridge is high. Well, I'll come back to it when it's warmer. Maybe we'll see a difference and I'll do some close ups and macros.

Yes, that’s what I thought.:rolleyes:
Then I thought: “maybe he’s still delirious” :mobibabe: :confused: :lol:

So I've found solids the cat can keep down and she is getting calories again. She's even re-started grooming herself so she's feeling better, which is a relief. The last born is no longer dependant on pain killers and, despite getting quite a nasty bug, it's only kept me under for 36 hrs so everything's looking up.
I hope no one minds but I'm going to break convention and do the judging now, before the week is officially declared closed and while I have a space in my day to do it. It's amazing how quickly a home deteriorates with one parent pulling long shifts, the other ill and asleep on the sofa, one child with a reconstructed finger an elderly cat bringing back anything she eats and only a teenage boy well and alert enough to leave his computer to say "When's lunch?" and "I'm cold, can you turn the heating on?" once or twice a day and argue every time he's asked to do anything.
But enough about me :)
I'm unofficially declaring this weeks mobicolour thread closed and getting on with the judging.

So I've found solids the cat can keep down and she is getting calories again. She's even re-started grooming herself so she's feeling better, which is a relief. The last born is no longer dependant on pain killers and, despite getting quite a nasty bug, it's only kept me under for 36 hrs so everything's looking up.
I hope no one minds but I'm going to break convention and do the judging now, before the week is officially declared closed and while I have a space in my day to do it. It's amazing how quickly a home deteriorates with one parent pulling long shifts, the other ill and asleep on the sofa, one child with a reconstructed finger an elderly cat bringing back anything she eats and only a teenage boy well and alert enough to leave his computer to say "When's lunch?" and "I'm cold, can you turn the heating on?" once or twice a day and argue every time he's asked to do anything.
But enough about me :)
I'm unofficially declaring this weeks mobicolour thread closed and getting on with the judging.

Your call, rizole - I’ll take care of the formalities :D

So I've found solids the cat can keep down and she is getting calories again.

Good news. I’ve had many cats but never longer than six- ten years. Since we usually have two or three at a time, that means regular heartbreak. My black cat has broken that record at now twelve years. I had a patch of feeling anxious every day coming home until I realised he wasn’t looking much different day to day.

You currently don’t need and probably already know what I discovered looking after an old, unwell puppydog who wasn’t taking solids - - high protein tinned (!) food, a teaspoon or so in water syringed gently into the mouth keeps up the protein/calories.

I have nothing useful or intelligent to say about male teenagers. Except maybe ‘thank god that’s over’, ‘I wonder if this twitch will ever go’ and possibly ‘so far only female grandchildren’.

Walking texture.
View attachment 107201
I’m adding this here just for the potential interest of the idea. This image was generated by a walking app, called ArtWalk. It claims to create an image based on your movements and locations during your walk. You just start the app recording at the start of your walk. It is using your location the whole time so I imagine this is more battery consuming, like continuous use of GPS. Once your walk is done you can select from a set of styles and then the app generates an image based on your movements during your walk. I haven’t tried it often enough to know how it reacts to different types of activities, such as running or cycling. I’m still looking at it from a position of curiosity. In this case I was just walking around inside the shopping mall since we didn’t feel well enough to walk outdoors in the cold wind. It’s a big “T”-shaped loop about 1km. Even so, you can see the change where we went into the grocery store for our food shopping going up and down the aisles. You can also see places I paused a little longer in one spot.

That’s a interesting app. I wonder if it will keep track of our rides in the country? Off to the App Store.

Lots of pictures this week so too many to honour properly but to name a few, I loved zenjenny's dog's tongue, JillyG's penicillin, MotownLarry's Lego sculpture and GroovyGouvy's sun on a rough wall.

For sheer quanity, variety and inventiveness, HM's have to go to FundyBrian and terse this week.
Out of 60 pictures entred, FundyBrian submitted 18 and terse submitted 16. I ended up with a shortlist of 10 pictures after my first pass through the thread, 4 of which are FundyBrian's. I loved Plough Laid to Rest - the colour on that blade is gorgeous. Teeth - crunchy, exciting, nicely composed. Wind Blown Snow - a real wow factor to this. Walking Texture - This stands on it's own feet I think, even knowing it was done by an app just adds another layer to it. Simple, intriguing, good texture and colour and there's a delicacy there too.
Plenty to love in terse's submissions too. My favorite is Scars of a Long Life. It's got it all, layers of texture, compositionally good, a mixed media pic of manmade, natural and typographical elements.

HMs also to GroovyGouvy's mystery bridge and deepop's notional barefoot beanie ariel photography.

The two other pics that didn't quite make it into the top three are sinnerjohn's Medieval John and deepop's Ice on Planet Rizole. Both pressing all the right buttons for me. Nice work gents.

So my winners this week in reverse order are:

In 3rd, JillyG with Bricks and Glass
A lovely composition of geometric detail and texture at different scales and layers of reflection and overlays and viewpoints. There's so much going on here, it could be a mess but it's balanced and ordered. I like that you can see you in there JillyG. It's a shame you're looking at your phone instead of down the lens at the viewer but that's a small point and doesn't distract from the overall pic.

In 2nd is deepop with Abstract
I love the simplicity of the shapes and composition and the warmth and richness of the colours. I don't have any other words for this really. Just lovely.

In first place this week is Starzee with El Ca
img_5113-jpg.107088

It's grungy, scrunchy, weathered, shiny, scratchy, angular abstract goodness. Love the colour and processing, loved the pic as soon as I saw it and not lost the love as the week has gone on.
Well done you. :notworthy:[/USER]

Last edited:
Lots of pictures this week so too many to honour properly but to name a few, I loved zenjenny's dog's tongue, JillyG's penicillin, MotownLarry's Lego sculpture and GroovyGouvy's sun on a rough wall.

For sheer quanity, variety and inventiveness, HM's have to go to FundyBrian and terse this week.
Out of 60 pictures entred, FundyBrian submitted 18 and terse submitted 16. I ended up with a shortlist of 10 pictures after my first pass through the thread, 4 of which are FundyBrian's. I loved Plough Laid to Rest - the colour on that blade is gorgeous. Teeth - crunchy, exciting, nicely composed. Wind Blown Snow - a real wow factor to this. Walking Texture - This stands on it's own feet I think, even knowing it was done by an app just adds another layer to it. Simple, intriguing, good texture and colour and there's a delicacy there too.
Pleanty to love in terse's submissions too. My favorite is Scars of a Long Life. It's got it all, layers of texture, compositionally good, a mixed media pic of manmade, natural and typographical elements.

HMs also to GroovyGouvy's mystery bridge and deepop's notional barefoot beanie ariel photography.

The two other pics that didn't quite make it into the top three are sinnerjohn's Medieval John and deepop's Ice on Planet Rizole. Both pressing all the right buttons for me. Nice work gents.

A lovely composition of geometric detail and texture at different scales and layers of reflection and overlays and viewpoints. There's so much going on here, it could be a mess but it's balanced and ordered. I like that you can see you in there JillyG. It's a shame you're looking at your phone instead of down the lens at the viewer but that's a small point and doesn't distract from the overall pic.

I love the simplicity of the shapes and composition and the warmth and richness of the colours. I don't have any other words for this really. Just lovely.

img_5113-jpg.107088

It's grungy, scrunchy, weathered, shiny, scratchy, angular abstract goodness. Love the colour and processing, loved the pic as soon as I saw it and not lost the love as the week has gone on.
Well done you. :notworthy:
Wow, thanks for my third place - I’m thrilled. There were soooo many great entries, I’m amazed to get on the podium. Well done deepop David - I always love your abstracts. And big hugs to Starzee Star - what Rizole said. Fabulous. What a wonderfully textured week it was.

Pleanty to love in terse's submissions too. My favorite is Scars of a Long Life. It's got it all, layers of texture, compositionally good, a mixed media pic of manmade, natural and typographical elements.

img_5113-jpg.107088

Well done you. :notworthy:

Wow! Thank you! I’m stunned. There were sooo many gorgeous textures this week, I don’t feel worthy. Great job everyone! And thanks, again.

Back
Top Bottom