MobiColour MobiColour Challenge #251 July 19-Aug 1 Theme: Story

9CFBF0FF-F304-47E8-BEB4-E407C409516D.jpeg

A wedding or a funeral or...?
Apple cam, Photos, Snapseed

I‘ll check the thread in about 30 hours.
If images are still appearing, and if WOTANICUS agrees,
I’ll leave it open for another week.
Otherwise I’ll close it up & Bill can start his deliberations :thumbs:

Sounds good to me, just let me know when I can begin!

I’m thinking that 6 pages and 49 images are probably enough for a good judging workout. We don’t want to scare WOTANICUS Bill away!!!

I can handle it! Are we good to go?

Waiting on zenjenny Jen. She’s the Color Challenge Queen.
Its not unknown for a judge to declare a thread closed. Leaving it to an admin is good form but a judge also has a life and other commitments so close it if you are ready. Everyone else is expecting it to close at some point soon. If you want to give stragglers the benefit you can set a timescale for when you plan to start judging.

Its not unknown for a judge to declare a thread closed. Leaving it to an admin is good form but a judge also has a life and other commitments so close it if you are ready. Everyone else is expecting it to close at some point soon. If you want to give stragglers the benefit you can set a timescale for when you plan to start judging.
What he said!!

Sheesh I said 30 hours ! And here it is…
thread closed. Over to you WOTANICUS Bill

and btw what rizole said - if you’re judging and it suits you to close the thread before admin does, you’re most welcome to (for all the reasons and with all the contingencies rizole lists)

We‘re [mostly] not anal around here :thumbs:

Sheesh I said 30 hours ! And here it is…
thread closed. Over to you WOTANICUS Bill

and btw what rizole said - if you’re judging and it suits you to close the thread before admin does, you’re most welcome to (for all the reasons and with all the contingencies rizole lists)

We‘re [mostly] not anal around here :thumbs:
Thats great. I'll start my deliberations..

CHALLENGE 251 RESULTS!

Judge: WOTANICUS Bill
Theme: STORY:
Brief: Every picture tells a story, so I would like to see the photographic frame become the narrative frame - show me images that suggest something is about to happen, has happened, or is happening. I want images that lead me in, intruigue me and offer the suggestion of a narrative flow! Wow me!

Thank you all for entering and keeping me entertained and thoroughly 'wowed'! After the caveat of the infamous 'watershed' challenge, I was a bit nervous about judging, but I think I have made the right choices. So without further ado...

Last edited:
CHALLENGE 251 RESULTS!

Judge: WOTANICUS Bill
Brief: Every picture tells a story, so I would like to see the photographic frame become the narrative frame - show me images that suggest something is about to happen, has happened, or is happening. I want images that lead me in, intruigue me and offer the suggestion of a narrative flow! Wow me!

Thank you all for entering and keeping me entertained and thoroughly 'wowed'! After the caveat of the infamous 'watershed' challenge, I was a bit nervous about judging, but I think I have made the right choices. So without further ado...
Tease!!!!

CHALLENGE 251: STORY

Interpreting the brief seemed to put a few people off at first, but I am happy to say, not for long. There's been some IOTM nominations in here too, so everyone should get a fair crack of the whip if they don't win here.

So - In reverse order:
3rd Place Winner
Congratulations to Jillyg for her wonderful 'Kew Here'

What I wanted was to see something happening, or about to happen and to be wowed. Jillys spectacular image delivers on both fronts and has the added advantage of a real frame within the frame which in turn provides the narrative one. I had to keep looking at this to figure out what was going on, the feet, almost suspended in mid air - will they fall or will they move on? The huge brassy structure has a circular movement to it, drawing the eye to the center with a coriolis like force. Its massively busy in one way, but with a remarkably simple central motif. Fabulous.

KEW.jpeg

2nd Place Winner
Congratulations to Geek1956 for 'Olivia & Nate'

Photographing children is hard at the best of times, but capturing such a sensitive and lovely picture deserves praise. Besides the obvious merits of a delightful portrait, Geek1956 has also managed to capture the essence of the narrative - there is clearly something wonderful happening - its almost a fairytale image of two little ones comforting each other against the dark. On top of that, not unlike JillyGs secondary frame, we also have a separate and much more real narrative going on, as Olivia reads a story to sleepy Nate. So an embedded narrative within a narrative frame. What really sold me on this photograph is that fact that both of them are clearly wrapped up in the story and oblivious to Grandpa tipping up with a camera. Its not forced, its not posed and it captures the moment effortlessly.

OLIVIA&NAT.jpeg

FIRST PLACE WINNER

The coveted First place goes to Dscheff with 'Home at Last'

As I was being pelted by image after image on the challenge, I was mentally tagging the winners and gauging them against the brief. Then in the midst of things and just as my judging nerves were jangling after hearing about the earlier 'storytelling' challenge, this image popped up. At first, I saw it on my phone and thought, "yes, nice photo, good colour, nice framing etc etc" and I carried on to read the description. Then I opened it up on the laptop and looked at it full screen. Boom. A paradigm shift clicked in as I saw the little figure clearly and the whole image moved in context and in my perspective of it. Whereas at first, I was seeing Dscheff's view through the steamy microbrewery window, with the moss climbing the glass, suddenly, I was looking deeper into the frame, past the window and seeing a lone figure on a hillside gazing into an alien sky.
I am a big sci-fi fan and that may have coloured my judgement here too, but in relation to the brief, this nails it squarely. A frame within a frame again, to present the narrative tale, great lighting and tonality and a very clear story being told on two levels - A) the little model figure being posed to look like part of a landscape and B) The astronaut looking wistfully out onto a fog shrouded hillside with his (or her) feet firmly planted on solid ground. Is the astronaut glad to be back ? Is he nervous about what is hiding in the mist ? Will he just turn round and take off again? Lots of questions and lots of story potential. Beautifully lit, framed and shot and considering its a vernacular shot in a public space, its a cracker.
So thank you for a job well done!

Home At Last.JPG

Honourable Mentions
First off, thank you to everyone for allowing a newbie to judge such a prestigious competition and a tough one too. Its been great to see so much wonderful artwork and to be part of the selection process. As I mentioned, the challenge has thrown up a few IOTM nominations, so the standard was clearly high. There can naturally only be three top spots, but praise must go to the following:
Terse for his 'Ficus' fotos (sic) , Rizole for 'Heavy Plant Crossing' which made me howl, Chineezguy and JuryJone for the beautiful painterly art and JillyG for the masterful 'Diver' image.

But making my choices really difficult and almost making the top spots were Starzee with 'Only Time' with that amazing graffiti, a very close run post! Terse with the excellent 'Tale of a Lonely Heart' - aesthetically brilliant and technically spot on and then you see the tiny heart and think 'What?' and finally SinnerJohn for the brutally simple 'Lost and Found' - again we have the embedded frame, the counterpoint between the modern media and the antiquated and the wonderfully emotive expression on the face of the lady in the print. Lots of questions and possible narratives going on there.

So there you have it - thanks again and I look forward to seeing the next challenge! Ciao!

Back
Top Bottom