MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone 14 Pro
Onsite
Project Page
Chris Feichtner (nocamerabag on Instagram) has a good explanation of using the noise reduction tools in Lightroom Mobile on his blog. In particular, he notes what all the different sliders (like Detail and Smoothing) do, not just the chroma and luminance sliders.

Hmm, what I want to complain about most with smartphone cams is the missing setting about controlling the noise reduction. Some modes with the camera apps let you adjust the setting of ISO but I never saw the possibility to adjust the noise reduction.

I occasionally shoot raw and the noise is 'horrible' without adjustment. You have to handle it in the development process. This gives you the possibility to adjust it the way you want and need it to make a good compromise between keeping details and get rid of noise.
Shooting JPG this is already done - and most of the time in a pretty good way thanks to AI and HDR computing which applies already stacking and merging the photos (without being recognized by the user).

So using LR will probably will remove even more details from the shot because it's the second round of reduction. But in the end it's a question of the perspective and sometimes it's better than without ... :)

Thx for sharing, Ted! :)

Chris Feichtner (nocamerabag on Instagram) has a good explanation of using the noise reduction tools in Lightroom Mobile on his blog. In particular, he notes what all the different sliders (like Detail and Smoothing) do, not just the chroma and luminance sliders.

Some good info there and he has a good blog and Insta. Thanks for the heads up Ted.
Although he kind of contradicts himself giving us all this info about RAW and then says his preferred shooting method is jpg!!

So using LR will probably will remove even more details from the shot because it's the second round of reduction.
If you're using LR on a JPG, could be. (I've never actually tried it.) I created a user preset that zeroes out all the settings in Lightroom, including noise reduction and sharpening, and I apply that first when editing in order to remove LR's guesses about how to edit the photo.

If you're using LR on a JPG, could be. (I've never actually tried it.)
So now I have actually tried it :lmao: , and it turns out Lightroom is smarter than I thought. If I import a JPG, LR does not automatically apply any noise reduction or sharpening, while when I import a DNG, it does.

Ted do you ever use the b/w filter in LR camera to shoot b/w? I took a few some weeks back and was less than satisfied.

Ted do you ever use the b/w filter in LR camera to shoot b/w? I took a few some weeks back and was less than satisfied.
I've tried it now and then, but I've never been satisfied either. I don't seem to be able to get what I want and end up with something either too flat or too extreme.

I've tried it now and then, but I've never been satisfied either. I don't seem to be able to get what I want and end up with something either too flat or too extreme.
I think shoot in colour and convert is still the best way to go. But I always like to try b/w cameras.

I think shoot in colour and convert is still the best way to go. But I always like to try b/w cameras.
:lmao: I know, I know, I do the same thing at regular intervals. I was just recently reviving Argentum, a very good b/w cam app for iOS, but it's now back in the drawer. It seems like a good idea, so it's hard to let go of, but in practice it fails to thrill.

I've also simplified my b/w processing some. I used to use b/w looks from ACDSee Pro, RNI Films, and some others, but these days, I usually apply the Mono or Noir filter in the native iOS Photos app and then adjust the lighting in ACDSee or Ultralight or even Photos itself, with an occasional trip to Snapseed for Tonal Contrast and/or Ambiance.

:lmao: I know, I know, I do the same thing at regular intervals. I was just recently reviving Argentum, a very good b/w cam app for iOS, but it's now back in the drawer. It seems like a good idea, so it's hard to let go of, but in practice it fails to thrill.

I've also simplified my b/w processing some. I used to use b/w looks from ACDSee Pro, RNI Films, and some others, but these days, I usually apply the Mono or Noir filter in the native iOS Photos app and then adjust the lighting in ACDSee or Ultralight or even Photos itself, with an occasional trip to Snapseed for Tonal Contrast and/or Ambiance.
I use the b/w conversion in LRM or use one of the filters I've managed to import into LRM.

Back
Top Bottom