• > UPDATE < Thanks to all who've so far DONATED helping us update MobiTog, keep 'em coming please! AND A BIG THANK YOU ALL for your continued generosity & support!
  • IMPORTANT - PLEASE READ THIS THREAD < Tap for linky - MobiTog is open for business with some minor stuff on-going... :)

Offline editing

Starzee

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I bought iPads without G3. I have my old one set up with just photo apps, thinking I would use it where no internet is available. I can't seem to figure out how keep just the few photos I want to work with on the iPad. Does anyone know how to set up a local folder?

Venomator

MobiAdmin
Admin
Site Staff
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone X
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I bought iPads without G3. I have my old one set up with just photo apps, thinking I would use it where no internet is available. I can't seem to figure out how keep just the few photos I want to work with on the iPad. Does anyone know how to set up a local folder?
Why not just use the native Photos App and create an Album, or Albums, to keep your working Photos in Star... :whistle:

Very simple and easy to do, access, use, and move photos around as you need to then... :D

Starzee

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
No just the iPhone pics. I have the photo app set to optimize to save the room on my older iPad. Frequently I get to, say, the park where I wanted to hang out and work on some photos only to find they aren't accessible to edit.

Venomator

MobiAdmin
Admin
Site Staff
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone X
My 365
My MobiTog 365
No just the iPhone pics. I have the photo app set to optimize to save the room on my older iPad. Frequently I get to, say, the park where I wanted to hang out and work on some photos only to find they aren't accessible to edit.
I understand that and do the same here... ;)

I believe, if you have the photos you want to edit in an Album and then pre-download from the cloud, you should then be able to access them to edit when you are, as it were, off-line?... :rog:

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus

I believe, if you have the photos you want to edit in an Album and then pre-download from the cloud, you should then be able to access them to edit when you are, as it were, off-line?... :rog:
Is that the same as when I put images from my phone into the Cloud 'shared' folder? Bcs (Star) 1. I think of the phone as an-other device - IE other to the iPad) 2. I'd have to have 'pre-downloaded' and/or had time at home with wifi for the devices to synchs their shared folder in order to be able to edit (spontaneously, you know) in the park. :mobibabe:

Starzee

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

I am going to try this today. I have them downloaded now, just hope they stay put and don't float back to the cloud.

Venomator

MobiAdmin
Admin
Site Staff
Real Name
Rog...
Device
iPhone X
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Is that the same as when I put images from my phone into the Cloud 'shared' folder? Bcs (Star) 1. I think of the phone as an-other device - IE other to the iPad) 2. I'd have to have 'pre-downloaded' and/or had time at home with wifi for the devices to synchs their shared folder in order to be able to edit (spontaneously, you know) in the park. :mobibabe:
Depends whether you have your iDevice optimised Jennifer... ;)

The Shared folder is similar to a n other Album iirc and will still be optimised if that is how you are set up... :D

Starzee

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
The photos I put in my new folder and the ones taken in the last few days were accessible but when I tried to get a texture from a while ago, it wasn't available for edit. Clearly, I need to have a thought out plan to edit offline. Unfortunately, that's not my best thing. I'll have to work on it.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
This makes me glad I have stayed away from cloud storage. To edit iPhone photos on my iPad I just send them over by Wifi Transfer.

ubbyisis

MobiLurver
Real Name
Eva Gustafsson
Device
iPhone X
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I use a little stick called iKlips that holds thousands of my photos and other stuff like downloaded videos. I can also down- and upload from/to my laptop with it. It feels safe being able to carry my photos around in my pocket without worrying about cloud services (which I use too though)

Starzee

MobiLurver
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I've been using the Lightroom app to keep a few of the photos I plan on using, but of course, there's always that "I need one more thing in this" moment. This is an excellent suggestion. Thank you!

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
It's my biggest bugbear with Apple devices. The inability to easily (1) organise photos on the iPad itself so they are NOT on the camera roll but still on the iPad (2) the lack of connectivity between straight forward USBs and an Apple device ie you can't bring up a photo straight from a USB and save directly back to a USB. I'm forever transferring backwards and forwards and can never find what I am looking for or have on my device what I need! ARGH!

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
I use iCloud, and yes, I have to pay $2.99/month [emoji849] but it's worth it to me for the convenience. All my images are available on my iPhone, iPad and iMac via the Photos app. Easy peasy, especially for someone who doesn't like needless fiddling around.

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
The inability to easily (1) organise photos on the iPad itself so they are NOT on the camera roll but still on the iPad
Amen to that. That one change would make a huge difference (even more so if we could choose which folder to save a variation in as well).

Carol

MobiLurver
Don't know if this helps but I downloaded FileApp (File Management & Document Reader) it's on all my devices. It's Free. I have transferred photos to specific device that I want to use offline with no problems accessing them anywhere. I delete them from my Camera Roll but they stay in that device fileapp. You can then open/download/edit/save them. I've used it for over a year now and have had no problems. There is a code for privacy to get into the app but you can remove that in settings if you prefer.

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I decided to make a small portfolio folder on my iPhone for those occasions when I'm talking to someone and want to show an example of something. This is a folder of photos I set up on my computer which is synced to my iPhone through iTunes. On my computer I can just number the files to make them appear in whatever order I want. However, when they appear on my iPhone they are just sorted by date, ignoring the file names. Any easy way to fix this?

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Don't know if this helps but I downloaded FileApp (File Management & Document Reader) it's on all my devices. It's Free. I have transferred photos to specific device that I want to use offline with no problems accessing them anywhere. I delete them from my Camera Roll but they stay in that device fileapp. You can then open/download/edit/save them. I've used it for over a year now and have had no problems. There is a code for privacy to get into the app but you can remove that in settings if you prefer.
Since you are familiar with FileApp perhaps you can tell me if it is possible to change the order of the photos in a folder. Drag & drop to a different order?

FundyBrian

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Brian Townsend
Device
iPhone 8 Plus
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I use iCloud, and yes, I have to pay $2.99/month [emoji849] but it's worth it to me for the convenience. All my images are available on my iPhone, iPad and iMac via the Photos app. Easy peasy, especially for someone who doesn't like needless fiddling around.
How many photos can you store for $2.99/month?

Carol

MobiLurver
Since you are familiar with FileApp perhaps you can tell me if it is possible to change the order of the photos in a folder. Drag & drop to a different order?
Sorry Brian, you can't drag & drop to change the order, though you can move to another folder. Hope this helps.