• MobiTog Mantra = "Taken with and processed on a Mobile Device" PLEASE NOTE: MobiTog Rule 4. will be applied to all MobiTog Challenges & Contests. Non-compliance may result in entries being disqualified - you've been notified! > For Terms & Rules Click Here <
  • Ynot consider a regular monthly Donation? It's now doable under the Donate tab! (A Donation of just £1/$1 per month will help cover our costs & assist with updates & improvements) HUGE THANKS to all our generous MobiSupporters!
  • NEW MEMBER NOTICE - Need assistance finding your way around Mobitog? > CLICK HERE FOR HELP SECTION <

Oil and Water

rizole

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
I keep taking pics of oil stains on wet roads and don't seem to be likely to stop any time soon so here's a thread to upload them all to.

Please feel free to post your own. Don't feel tied to roads. I'm planning on siphoning out petrol from our car and documenting what ever material science experiments I can come up with..

*********Edit*******
And now I've started uploading my pics I realise there's fewer specific Oil/water combis than I thought and the pairing is too restrictive.
What I'm interested in are how colours arise of surfaces, films, liquids, reflections, refractions, what have you.
********Edit*******

20190308_162149-01.jpeg

Last edited:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
I keep taking pics of oil stains on wet roads and don't seem to be likely to stop any time soon so here's a thread to upload them all to.

Please feel free to post your own. Don't feel tied to roads. I'm planning on siphoning out petrol from our car and documenting what ever material science experiments I can come up with..

View attachment 152402
Great idea. I’m not surprised you want to photograph them, when they’re as beautiful as this.

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus

View attachment 152402
Fabulous. The colors are amazing!

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel

View attachment 152402
One of your specialities, I rarely see this you must have much leakier vehicles oop north ;)

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus
I keep taking pics of oil stains on wet roads and don't seem to be likely to stop any time soon so here's a thread to upload

ds. I'm planning on siphoning out petrol from our car and documenting what ever material science experiments I can come up with..
do you smoke, rizole?

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus

View attachment 152402
And that’s gorgeous — look fwd to seeing more. (relatively rare sight here in Au)

rizole

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Now I've started uploading my pics I realise there's fewer specific Oil/water combis than I thought and the pairing is too restrictive.
What I'm interested in are how colours arise of surfaces, films, liquids, reflections, refractions, what have you and plan on widening my uploads.
20180119_130055-01-01.jpeg

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Now I've started uploading my pics I realise there's fewer specific Oil/water combis than I thought and the pairing is too restrictive.
What I'm interested in are how colours arise of surfaces, films, liquids, reflections, refractions, what have you and plan on widening my uploads.
View attachment 152446
I’ve never seen anything like these.... so beautiful. :inlove:

rizole

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Rizole
Device
Samsung
Well I siphoned off a few drops of petrol from the car and tried recreating the effect but no joy. From the reading I've done these thin films cause interference by being as thin as wave lengths which is pretty thin. I'm assuming I couldn't recreate the effect because the petrol didn't become thin enough. I wonder if it's the effect of falling rain, flattening and dispersing the film. I'll have to try again.

I found other examples of thin film interference since.
20200107_090335-01.jpeg

CDs and DVDs.
20200108_173854-01.jpeg

Steel pots and pans. Apparently cooking at high temperatures can create a thin film of oxidation on the surface. Nothing I've read indicates if that's the steel that's oxydised or what ever was being cooked leaving an oxydised layer.
20200113_125848-01.jpeg

And with the screen off and at the right angle, phone and tablets screens have thin layers that cause the effect.
I don't have an example but I've also seen cooked meats with a rainbow sheen occasionally.

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365