One of our sponsored children

camperbc

MobiStarlet
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Glen
Here is a candid capture of Sarah, who is one of our many sponsored children, all of whom we were finally able to meet face-to-face when we travelled to a very impoverished and remote region of Western Uganda in 2017. All of our supported children have been orphaned as a result of the HIV/AIDS pandemic sweeping that part of the world. We supply much needed food, clothing, bedding, shelter, and livestock to these destitute and vulnerable kids, and ensure that all of them are attending school, with the costs of all books, fees, uniforms, and other personal necessities covered by my wife and I. We also provide suitable land for farming, and have offered many interest-free microfinancing loans to African people wishing to start a small business to better support their families. We personally provide everything that these orphaned children need, such as school fees/supplies/uniforms, clothing, footwear, mattresses, blankets, sheet sets, mosquito nets, (to help prevent the spread of malaria) all cooking utensils, dishes, cutlery, food, medical care, etc. My wife used her Motorola Moto G5 Plus smartphone to snap this photo of happy 9 year-old Sarah.

Here is a candid capture of Sarah, who is one of our many sponsored children, all of whom we were finally able to meet face-to-face when we travelled to a very impoverished and remote region of Western Uganda in 2017. All of our supported children have been orphaned as a result of the HIV/AIDS pandemic sweeping that part of the world. We supply much needed food, clothing, bedding, shelter, and livestock to these destitute and vulnerable kids, and ensure that all of them are attending school, with the costs of all books, fees, uniforms, and other personal necessities covered by my wife and I. We also provide suitable land for farming, and have offered many interest-free microfinancing loans to African people wishing to start a small business to better support their families. We personally provide everything that these orphaned children need, such as school fees/supplies/uniforms, clothing, footwear, mattresses, blankets, sheet sets, mosquito nets, (to help prevent the spread of malaria) all cooking utensils, dishes, cutlery, food, medical care, etc. My wife used her Motorola Moto G5 Plus smartphone to snap this photo of happy 9 year-old Sarah.

View attachment 149055
How beautiful.... and what a moment that must have been to meet the children.

Thanks RoseCat! This was our second trip to Uganda; the first time was for two months in 2008, when our two daughters were still living at home, so all four of us went. For the second trip (2017) it was just me and the Missus for 6 weeks. Both times that we went over, we had such great fun visiting with all of our supported kids/families, and it was so wonderful to be able to witness firsthand what our various charity projects had done to improve the community, and the lives of these beautiful kids!

We've been at this African charity stuff for about 15 years now, and there has been some amazing success stories along the way... for instance, we took on a teenage boy who was living on his own in a tiny ramshackle hut that he had constructed out of sticks and cow dung, (not kidding) after both his Mom and Dad had died from AIDS. When we first met Moses on our first trip, he was this very timid and under-nourished little fellow who was selling long poles of sugarcane for 50 cents to try to get enough money to buy some food. He quickly began to warm up to us "Muzungus"; (whites) we were in fact the only white people he had ever seen! Anyway, long story short, we immediately got him some food and clothing and bedding, made some much-needed repairs to his home, and paid for his schooling. He eventually graduated from highschool with honours, and his wish was to one day become a registered nurse. So we proceeded to put him through medical school, and last year he graduated as an RN! Moses now works in the very hospital that we had helped to build; it's the only medical facility in that remote region of Western Uganda.

We have supported over 40 kids and several entire families over the years, and when we returned to Uganda in 2017, my wife and I took on six more children, all of whom we personally met and visited with throughout our stay in that country. Very rewarding work, that's for sure!

View attachment 149055
This would be a salutary lesson to all of our Western kids - these children have virtually nothing and yet they still smile and are happy with the smallest gift. What an amazing thing you’re doing. It must give you so much pleasure and satisfaction.

Back
Top Bottom