• CHAT 2: £30 < Please help us revive 'MobiChat' with a small donation to cover costs... ?
  • ANNOUNCEMENT! > CLICKY ME <
  • > CONGRATULATIONS to our very own Matt (@Smooth) on his change in Marital status! He has tied the knot with Danielle (Saturday 16th November)! We wish then every happiness as they start their married life together... x x <
  • MobiTog Mantra = "Taken with and processed on a Mobile Device" PLEASE NOTE: MobiTog Rule 4. will be applied to all MobiTog Challenges & Contests. Non-compliance may result in entries being disqualified - you've been notified! > For Terms & Rules Click Here <
  • NEW MEMBER NOTICE - Need assistance finding your way around Mobitog? > CLICK HERE FOR HELP SECTION <

Contest Online Contests & Events 2019

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
Smithsonian Magazine photo contest
Deadline: November 30, 2019, at 5:00 PM Eastern Standard Time
Categories: Natural World, Travel, People, The American Experience, Altered Images, and Mobile
See the 2018 winners. Someone here ought to be able to score in the Mobile category, at least.

Notable rules:

Cropped photos are eligible in all categories. We do not accept digitally or otherwise enhanced or altered photos, except for those entered in the Altered Images category. Minor adjustments, including the removal of sensor dust or scratches on scans of negatives, dodging and burning, sharpening, contrast, toning, slight color adjustment and conversion to grayscale are acceptable for all categories. The addition and subtraction of objects is not permitted except in the Altered Images category. If the judges determine that a photographer has altered his or her photo, they reserve the right to move the photo to Altered Images or to disqualify it. Image composites including HDR and stitched panoramas will be judged as Altered Images.​
For a photo in which a person is recognizable, you must be prepared to provide a model release from the subject or, in the case of a minor, the subject’s parent or guardian, to the Smithsonian upon request. A sample model release is available here.
Similarly, entrants whose photos depict other people’s work (such as sculptures, statues, paintings, and other copyrightable works) must be prepared to provide a release from the rights holder to the Smithsonian upon request. When photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close-up of another person's creation. A sample art release is available here.
Also:

In order to be displayed in our online gallery without being stretched or distorted, photographs must be submitted in .jpeg, .jpg or .gif format, edited for web in sRGB color space, at least 2,000 pixels wide and no larger than 10 MB. Photo contest images are judged on computer screens, which have a maximum resolution of 72dpi.​
Please retain a high-resolution version of your photograph(s) in your personal files. You will need to have a higher-resolution image on hand, a minimum of 300 dpi and 3,000 pixels on the longest side, to be considered in the final rounds of the contest. Mobile photographs are exempt from this size requirement, but must be submitted at their highest resolution.​

Last edited:

JillyG

MobiLifer
Mobi Veteran
Real Name
Jilly
Device
iPhone 11 Pro Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365
Categories: Natural World, Travel, People, The American Experience, Altered Images, and Mobile
See the 2018 winners. Someone here ought to be able to score in the Mobile category, at least.

Notable rules:

Cropped photos are eligible in all categories. We do not accept digitally or otherwise enhanced or altered photos, except for those entered in the Altered Images category. Minor adjustments, including the removal of sensor dust or scratches on scans of negatives, dodging and burning, sharpening, contrast, toning, slight color adjustment and conversion to grayscale are acceptable for all categories. The addition and subtraction of objects is not permitted except in the Altered Images category. If the judges determine that a photographer has altered his or her photo, they reserve the right to move the photo to Altered Images or to disqualify it. Image composites including HDR and stitched panoramas will be judged as Altered Images.​
For a photo in which a person is recognizable, you must be prepared to provide a model release from the subject or, in the case of a minor, the subject’s parent or guardian, to the Smithsonian upon request. A sample model release is available here.
Similarly, entrants whose photos depict other people’s work (such as sculptures, statues, paintings, and other copyrightable works) must be prepared to provide a release from the rights holder to the Smithsonian upon request. When photographing the work of others, it must be as an object in its environment and not a full-frame close-up of another person's creation. A sample art release is available here.
Also:

In order to be displayed in our online gallery without being stretched or distorted, photographs must be submitted in .jpeg, .jpg or .gif format, edited for web in sRGB color space, at least 2,000 pixels wide and no larger than 10 MB. Photo contest images are judged on computer screens, which have a maximum resolution of 72dpi.​
Please retain a high-resolution version of your photograph(s) in your personal files. You will need to have a higher-resolution image on hand, a minimum of 300 dpi and 3,000 pixels on the longest side, to be considered in the final rounds of the contest. Mobile photographs are exempt from this size requirement, but must be submitted at their highest resolution.​
I can think of lots of images from the challenges that would be great for this competition. So many members have wonderful images that could be submitted - I was going to name them, but it’s too long and I might miss someone. :D

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I can think of lots of images from the challenges that would be great for this competition. So many members have wonderful images that could be submitted - I was going to name them, but it’s too long and I might miss someone. :D
Including yourself, of course?:whistle:

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel

Notable rules:

Also:

I assume the only category we of this parish could enter is 'mobile'?

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
I assume the only category we of this parish could enter is 'mobile'?
I didn't see anything that would prevent mobile photos from being entered in the other categories, and it says an image can be entered in more than one category. Those other categories do have a requirement that all finalists supply a version at least 3000 pixels on the long side. For the mobile category it's 2000 pixels.

Also, I didn't see any mention of entrance fees, and there's $500US for each category winner.

sinnerjohn

MobiLifer
Real Name
John
Device
Pixel
I didn't see anything that would prevent mobile photos from being entered in the other categories, and it says an image can be entered in more than one category. Those other categories do have a requirement that all finalists supply a version at least 3000 pixels on the long side. For the mobile category it's 2000 pixels.

Also, I didn't see any mention of entrance fees, and there's $500US for each category winner.
Just looking at the daily entries in the other categories the camera info is mostly Canon, Nikon etc. Not sure mobiles could compete on an uneven playing field?

terse

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ted
Device
iPhone Xs
The Mobile Photography Awards (MPA) 2019 is now open for entries (to Android and iOS both, unlike the IPPA).

Categories are here:

Entry fees are stiff:
$15 for 1 image, $30 for 3 images, $50 for 6 images and $100 for 15 images. (For comparison, the IPPA is $15.50 for 5 images.)

Deadline is December 10.

I'm going to enter again despite the high fees because I'm determined to get at least an HM out of them. So far, I've struck out every time.

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365
The Mobile Photography Awards (MPA) 2019 is now open for entries (to Android and iOS both, unlike the IPPA).

Categories are here:

Entry fees are stiff:
$15 for 1 image, $30 for 3 images, $50 for 6 images and $100 for 15 images. (For comparison, the IPPA is $15.50 for 5 images.)

Deadline is December 10.

I'm going to enter again despite the high fees because I'm determined to get at least an HM out of them. So far, I've struck out every time.
Good for you but pretty sure I won’t enter at those prices unless I pull a humdinger of a photo out the bag in the interim. I find the IPPA more ‘honest’. MPA winners are same old, same old.

zenjenny

MobiStaff
Site Staff
Real Name
jen
Device
iPhone 6s Plus

“The Mobile Photography Awards has 20 photo categories including a Photo Essay with it’s own prize of $500. Every image entered may be placed in up to two (2) categories. All category winners receive MPA prize packs and are included on the exclusive MPA Exhibit Tour, with further opportunities for fine art sales” [emphasis mine: punctuation error not]

I can think of several MobiMembers who could put together a stunning photo essay. And before sinnerjohn says it, yesyesyes, most previous ca tegory winners are essays of various exotic/tragic/human frailty focus.
So what?
Also, maybe those subjects win because other potential winners get stuck on ‘most previous category winners are essays of X focus’. Give the judges a broader pool to work with. Not that I’m naming anyone in particular :mobibabe: :rolleyes: :mobibabe:

RoseCat

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Catherine
Device
iPhone 7 Plus
Also, maybe those subjects win because other potential winners get stuck on ‘most previous category winners are essays of X focus’. Give the judges a broader pool to work with.
Agree!!

ImageArt

MobiLifer
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone 11 Pro
My 365
My MobiTog 365

Some nice images here: some quite uniquely ‘Australian’. And before sinnerjohn says it, yesyesyes, you have to be a citizen of Au to enter. But any nationality can browse. Besides, I’d hate for anyone to miss out on the image of the emu :lmao:
The mobile images were very interesting. It’s nice to see local ‘ordinary’ images getting through. I think the problem with the mobile photography competitions is that the winners are exotic places that most people just don’t get to. Unless you can get to Kathmandu you ain’t gonna win.

The animal category was just amazing. A surprising number of underwater images.

Open/Illustrative. Now that’s what I would like to see more of in the Fine Arts and Visual FX sections of MPA (which to me are one and the same). Some first class compositing which takes real skill.

Starzee

MobiStaff
Site Staff
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Star Greathouse
Device
iPhone Xs Max
My 365
My MobiTog 365

Some nice images here: some quite uniquely ‘Australian’. And before sinnerjohn says it, yesyesyes, you have to be a citizen of Au to enter. But any nationality can browse. Besides, I’d hate for anyone to miss out on the image of the emu :lmao:
I like the Giraffe in the Open/Illustrative category.