IOTM Winner - Feb 21, Sep 22
MobiSupporter
Real Name
Ann
Device
iPhone15
Onsite
Project Page
I’m not sure if this is the right place in the forum for this but there are so many marvellous cheap or free online courses now I thought we really needed a dedicated thread for it.

I have just found this FREE Procreate course which appears to be a really complete course of everything Procreate can do. Just started it myself tonight.

Strangely the enroll button seemed to be right near the end of the page so keep scrolling.

I’m not sure if this is the right place in the forum for this but there are so many marvellous cheap or free online courses now I thought we really needed a dedicated thread for it.

I have just found this FREE Procreate course which appears to be a really complete course of everything Procreate can do. Just started it myself tonight.

Strangely the enroll button seemed to be right near the end of the page so keep scrolling.
Cool! I’m on it!

Been doing my sister’s website so I followed some of the Loopy tutorial from the course above to create an image button. I used her colours and Ginkgo leaf motif. It amazes me how much I forget these days without trying it out!

6462F67B-F7DF-403D-8BC6-1E3950FFAEDE.jpeg

Been doing my sister’s website so I followed some of the Loopy tutorial from the course above to create an image button. I used her colours and Ginkgo leaf motif. It amazes me how much I forget these days without trying it out!

View attachment 157443
That’s lovely. It was a great tutorial. I really liked this one. I couldn’t see any Ginkgo leaves in the list of freebies though (Not that I need them).

That’s lovely. It was a great tutorial. I really liked this one. I couldn’t see any Ginkgo leaves in the list of freebies though (Not that I need them).
Ah, sorry, when I said I used ‘her’ ginkgo leaves I meant my sister’s. I designed them for her in Affinity Designer using a photograph As reference.

View attachment 157443
Nice work. I’ve done the course and am playing around with it. Over had been my go to font app, but knowing how to manipluate letters in so many way.... I’m currently loving Procreate for that, too. I signed up for the font making course, also. I’m thinking that Ryn S might be interest in turning her hand lettering into salable fonts. Or maybe she already does that. Anyway the link is here. (I hope this link works better than the last one I posted :lmao: :lmao: )

Nice work. I’ve done the course and am playing around with it. Over had been my go to font app, but knowing how to manipluate letters in so many way.... I’m currently loving Procreate for that, too. I signed up for the font making course, also. I’m thinking that Ryn S might be interest in turning her hand lettering into salable fonts. Or maybe she already does that. Anyway the link is here. (I hope this link works better than the last one I posted :lmao: :lmao: )
I’m doing the ‘mini course’. I’m just interested in the tools she uses.

Where I have found her course useful is the masks. I’m putting together an Instagram ‘puzzle’ for my sister and might do an elaborate one for my own.

I'm enjoying Serif's official tutorials for the iPad version of Affinity Photo. There's a boatload of them, and I've done about the first dozen, starting from the top.

They're quite brief (2-3 minutes for most) and concise with no fluff or chitchat. I'd say they're more like a cross between a demo and a tutorial, and if you were trying to pick up something unfamiliar from them, you'd probably need more than one view. You get a good look at how Affinity Photo does things, and as a bonus, get familiar with a number of useful tricks and gestures in the app, by getting to see them in action (things like rotation constraints, undo/redo, and so on). Also, if you're a Photoshop user, I expect these might speed your transition to AP.

I'm enjoying Serif's official tutorials for the iPad version of Affinity Photo. There's a boatload of them, and I've done about the first dozen, starting from the top.

They're quite brief (2-3 minutes for most) and concise with no fluff or chitchat. I'd say they're more like a cross between a demo and a tutorial, and if you were trying to pick up something unfamiliar from them, you'd probably need more than one view. You get a good look at how Affinity Photo does things, and as a bonus, get familiar with a number of useful tricks and gestures in the app, by getting to see them in action (things like rotation constraints, undo/redo, and so on). Also, if you're a Photoshop user, I expect these might speed your transition to AP.

They are also doing some lockdown specials although I have to say that the one I watched was pretty advanced and they are not necessarily for iPad. Most of the iPad ones are for Affinity Designer for iPad. I think what it does show you is the power of these products! It did make me realise how much I don’t know especially when it comes to curves.

I’m not a complete fan of Nicki Fitz-Gerald‘s work but I do like the stuff she has done lately for her upcoming Procreate course. Her Weymouth beach/promenade images work rather well with this type of manipulation.

I found a 60 second video of her mashing up an image in Procreate which probably tells me all I need to know. It reminds me a lot of how I used to use Photoshop and now that Procreate has masking etc, I must go back to doing some of this stuff. Rather like creating FotoDa images but with all the control. Of course you have to have some good basic elements to add to the mix and now that Apple have added a decent filing system, it‘s much easier to put a library together.

This was a quick attempt that I made by following the video step by step although I went back and messed with all the blending modes. I turned down the speed on YouTube to it’s lowest and that made watching much easier. I cut out the tree in SuperImposeX - just find it easier. The resulting image ended up having too much of the same colour but was a fun experiment and gave me ideas of how I would plan it next time.

5F33607B-E408-45BD-8E5C-997F2BC473E7.png

I noticed that she used Nikko’s brushes which are my absolute favourites and which I use almost exclusively apart from the new mono pen I now have from Teela. I went on a course a good few years back to get Nikko’s brushes not knowing you can just download them. However the course wasn’t expensive and so glad to support him. I did find the explanation of brush settings by Teela Cunningham in her free course easier to follow though.

Here is a link to Nikko’s brushes: https://folio.procreate.art/discussions/10/28/22330
Also a link to him speed painting which will get you to his wonderful YouTube channel:

Here is a link to Nicki’s video:

Last edited:
I’m not a complete fan of Nicki Fitz-Gerald‘s work but I do like the stuff she has done lately for her upcoming Procreate course. Her Weymouth beach/promenade images work rather well with this type of manipulation.

I found a 60 second video of her mashing up an image in Procreate which probably tells me all I need to know. It reminds me a lot of how I used to use Photoshop and now that Procreate has masking etc, I must go back to doing some of this stuff. Rather like creating FotoDa images but with all the control. Of course you have to have some good basic elements to add to the mix and now that Apple have added a decent filing system, it‘s much easier to put a library together.

This was a quick attempt that I made by following the video step by step although I went back and messed with all the blending modes. I turned down the speed on YouTube to it’s lowest and that made watching much easier. I cut out the tree in SuperImposeX - just find it easier. The resulting image ended up having too much of the same colour but was a fun experiment and gave me ideas of how I would plan it next time.

View attachment 157742

I noticed that she used Nikko’s brushes which are my absolute favourites and which I use almost exclusively apart from the new mono pen I now have from Teela. I went on a course a good few years back to get Nikko’s brushes not knowing you can just download them. However the course wasn’t expensive and so glad to support him. I did find the explanation of brush settings by Teela Cunningham in her free course easier to follow though.

Here is a link to Nikko’s brushes: https://folio.procreate.art/discussions/10/28/22330
Also a link to him speed painting which will get you to his wonderful YouTube channel:

Here is a link to Nikki’s video:
Oooh, thanks for this Ann. You can never have too many brushes. I’ll check out the tute too. I was thinking about doing Nicki’s new course.

View attachment 157742

Here is a link to Nicki’s video:
Thanks Anne! I have several million brushes :lmao: but I grabbed them anyway! I especially liked the rull and pencil brush. There are a few brushes that I always run to. I’ve started a favorites folder but I’m not doing a great job of getting stuff in there. I use brushes for stamping quite often. I will be checking out the video shortly.

Back
Top Bottom