Our Pets: Furred, Feathered or Scaled

I wonder if any other ‘intact’ female dog-owners can relate:

Djanga is nearly three years and has had three seasons (fewer and further between than most dogs I know).

Her favourite toy is a plastic pig that oinks a bit like these
D6CC9C01-2514-452E-9429-EC4A5FF6794B.jpeg

We keep a few on hand bcs she chews them to rags in a month or so. In the last year, though, every few months she discards a pig that’s only half chewed up, and carries the new one around gently, puts it down on her bed and licks it (just as she would a puppy) and frets if she can’t find it. Last night she woke us whimpering - till we found her pig under her cushion. She licked it for a bit then went back to sleep.

These times we also notice pregnancy-like changes in her body and a much quieter and much more Jen-oriented mood (my DH is her main human). It’s so distinct and time-limited, and it looks/sounds to me like practising for babies. But even though her body changes, she’s not going into season at these times.

Anyone know anything about this kind of behaviour in dogs?

PS: camperbc Glen, after reading Sheba’s very queenly proportions, we measured Djanga. As a Bull Arab X, she should be bigger than a German Shepherd, but we both thought that Sheba looked much bigger/taller. And Sheba definitely out-sizes Djanga o_O. Considerably, if you go by breed average. Djanga is quite big for a Bullie X, and possibly not quite fully-grown: just under 112lbs, 27” shoulder to ground, 30” base of tail to collar and 36” chest circ. You definitely have a little pony in Sheba!

[Btw that metric-to-imperial took a lot of to-ing and fro-ing on web converters!]

Last edited:

Djanga is nearly three years and has had three seasons (fewer and further between than most dogs I know).

Her favourite toy is a plastic pig that oinks a bit like these View attachment 150191

We keep a few on hand bcs she chews them to rags in a month or so. In the last year, though, every few months she discards a pig that’s only half chewed up, and carries the new one around gently, puts it down on her bed and licks it (just as she would a puppy) and frets if she can’t find it. Last night she woke us whimpering - till we found her pig under her cushion. She licked it for a bit then went back to sleep.

These times we also notice pregnancy-like changes in her body and a much quieter and much more Jen-oriented mood (my DH is her main human). It’s so distinct and time-limited, and it looks/sounds to me like practising for babies. But even though her body changes, she’s not going into season at these times.

PS: camperbc Glen, after reading Sheba’s very queenly proportions, we measured Djanga. As a Bull Arab X, she should be bigger than a German Shepherd, but we both thought that Sheba looked much bigger/taller. And Sheba definitely out-sizes Djanga o_O. Considerably, if you go by breed average. Djanga is quite big for a Bullie X, and possibly not quite fully-grown: just under 112lbs, 27” shoulder to ground, 30” base of tail to collar and 36” chest circ. You definitely have a little pony in Sheba!
[Btw that metric-to-imperial took a lot of to-ing and fro-ing on web converters!]

Haha, that's ok, we have been using the metric system here in Canada since the 1970's, but because many forum members (Americans) relate easier to inches/pounds, I just write it out the old-fashioned way. Your Djanga is indeed quite huge, but I don't think she will surpass Sheba's rather immense proportions. To help to illustrate Sheba's dimensions, I snapped a quick shot with my tablet the other day, which shows her laying on the floor in front of a large 2.3m-long sofa, (7-1/2 ft long) and our girl was almost as long as the sofa!... perhaps just 30cm (1 ft) shorter. (in fact, when she stretches her hind legs right out, she becomes the same length as the sofa!) She's humongous!

Last edited:
I'm not generally one to use filters, but I was playing around with this Sheba capture last night, and I actually like the results! But do you think I can now recall what filter I used? Must be getting senile.

I'm not generally one to use filters, but I was playing around with this Sheba capture last night, and I actually like the results! But do you think I can now recall what filter I used? Must be getting senile.

View attachment 150210
Looks like it might be a Prisma filter, if you have that, but there are a number of apps that have similar ones now.

In this one, Sheba looks like she's wearing armor, which reminded me of

In the last year, though, every few months she discards a pig that’s only half chewed up, and carries the new one around gently, puts it down on her bed and licks it (just as she would a puppy) and frets if she can’t find it. Last night she woke us whimpering - till we found her pig under her cushion. She licked it for a bit then went back to sleep.
Oh, that is just so sweet!! :inlove:

In this one, Sheba looks like she's wearing armor, which reminded me of

Those are hilarious.

This is GATTIEE I’ve known her for 6-7 Years. And in that time she must have had as many litters. She’s a good mother and Her puppies are very well tempered and liked and easily homed. Even after all these years she’s still playful She adopted me/us after I/we left food out for her regularly. At that time her owner from further down the village road couldn’t care for her and I guess was grateful I/we helped out. Nowadays she stays sometimes with her first owner but most of the time she looks after us in return for a safe place. Many of her offspring look like her and can be seen in neighbouring villages far and wide. Even her old owner,for obvious reasons, has taken one of her ‘sons’!! These days I only see Gattiee in videos because I live in another part of the world now but can be sure she’s looked after well.
6325B554-7527-4D8B-9018-58A49AABD2AC.jpeg

Her favourite toy is a plastic pig that oinks a bit like these View attachment 150191

Have Djanga and Sheba been neutered....just thinking

Last edited by a moderator:
We have 3 cats, that we know of, coming in through our cat flap to eat the food we put down for pebbles. It's been going on for some time and is a bit frustrating. One of those cat flaps that opens only for cats with the right collar would be ideal but pebbles has gotten out of every collar we've put on her so she's collarless. We are discussing getting her chipped but as the only issue we have is other cats encroaching on our cats territory and food, that's a decision for further down the road.
Here's my current solution.
I have two old phones with Alfred Camera installed. Both connected to wifi and pointing at the cat flap. One inside, one out.
One is a cheap £30 one bought as a temporary phone while my Samsung was out of commission. The other had a car jack dropped on it whilst I was changing a flat tyre. The touch screen doesn't work and I control it with a Bluetooth mouse.
20191005_091805.jpg

20191005_091831.jpg

Ialso have Alfred Camera on my tablet to use as a viewer. The sentry cameras are set to detect motion and they start recording when they do and send a notification to my tablet when it happens. I can then watch in real time from where ever I am.

Screenshot_20191004-181933-01.jpeg
Screenshot_20191004-182003-01.jpeg

A nice feature of Alfred Camera is you can make the sentry cam sound an alarm. As the speakers on a phone are quite low powered the last item of equipment is a blue tooth speaker. I've installed it just above the Cat flap using string and a paperclip. Now when I set the alarm going it will go off at full volume right above the intruder cats head.
20191005_091922.jpg

The cameras have been running for just 2 days now and so far only the grey cat pictured above has been in, twice on the first day and 3 times yesterday.

I installed the speaker last night and am awaiting my first victim. :feet:

We have 3 cats, that we know of, coming in through our cat flap to eat the food we put down for pebbles. It's been going on for some time and is a bit frustrating. One of those cat flaps that opens only for cats with the right collar would be ideal but pebbles has gotten out of every collar we've put on her so she's collarless. We are discussing getting her chipped but as the only issue we have is other cats encroaching on our cats territory and food, that's a decision for further down the road.
I have two old phones with Alfred Camera installed. Both connected to wifi and pointing at the cat flap. One inside, one out.
One is a cheap £30 one bought as a temporary phone while my Samsung was out of commission. The other had a car jack dropped on it whilst I was changing a flat tyre. The touch screen doesn't work and I control it with a Bluetooth mouse.
View attachment 150231
View attachment 150232
Ialso have Alfred Camera on my tablet to use as a viewer. The sentry cameras are set to detect motion and they start recording when they do and send a notification to my tablet when it happens. I can then watch in real time from where ever I am.

View attachment 150234View attachment 150235
A nice feature of Alfred Camera is you can make the sentry cam sound an alarm. As the speakers on a phone are quite low powered the last item of equipment is a blue tooth speaker. I've installed it just above the Cat flap using string and a paperclip. Now when I set the alarm going it will go off at full volume right above the intruder cats head.
View attachment 150233
The cameras have been running for just 2 days now and so far only the grey cat pictured above has been in, twice on the first day and 3 times yesterday.

What a challenge. What’s the grey cats name? ‘Fearless Freak’ would be appropriate:)))

What a challenge. What’s the grey cats name? ‘Fearless Freak’ would be appropriate:)))
It (He, I think) is definitely fearless. He carries on eating after being spotted and only runs at the last minute. Even then he's in no hurry, he's not scared of us. One of the reasons I got the speaker is to try and scare him. I don't think the sound from a mobile is loud enough to do it.
He's a beautiful cat, lovely grey colour.

View attachment 150231
View attachment 150232

View attachment 150234View attachment 150235
View attachment 150233

You’ve gone to a lot of trouble. I can’t wait to hear the next episode of this saga. :lol:

what does she eat?
Well let's see... for breakfast Sheba has a cup of cubed/cooked chicken breast (sometimes substituted with turkey breast or lean beef or pork roast) with some boiled peas mixed in, and 3/4 cup of Actrium holistic kibble; about the same thing again in the evening. And we used to give her (and Chrissy) some store-bought treats throughout the day, but we are now making our own treats, using only a few natural ingredients with no sweeteners, fillers, colouring, preservatives, etc... and both dogs LOVE them!

For her first year of life Sheba never once showed any interest in food of any kind. We tried every brand of canned dog food and kibble under the sun, but the only way she would eat anything was if we basically force-fed it to her. Yeah I know, people are always quick to tell us that "no dog will ever allow itself to starve", but from firsthand experience we know better than that! We once allowed Sheba to go for 4 days on her own, and she never ate anything that we gave her, and it was heartwrenching to watch the pounds fall off her frame in no time at all... and this was at just a few months of age, when they really need to be putting serious weight on. Anyway, long story short, Sheba finally learned to eat on her own, though we do still sometimes worry that she's not eating enough calories for a dog of her size. But thankfully she's not the most active dog around, because she would basically be just a bone rack if she were to burn the amount of calories of an average German Shepherd. But we don't call her a couch potato for nothing, and although she loves to get outdoors and run around and play like any other dog, she also loves to just kick back on the sofa with us and have a snooze! But thankfully, mercifully, there's not an ounce of fat on our big girl, although her crazy-tall/long dimensions do put her at close to 100 pounds.

So, she's eating around 1,300-1,400 calories/day on average, spread out between a total of 3.5 cups/day of a combination of kibble and meat, with a few healthy treats in between. This is less calories than a dog of her size should be eating, but it's what she is willing to eat on her own accord with no coaxing from us... and so far it's working well, as she has not been losing any weight. We want her to weigh as little as possible without becoming overly thin, and yet remain slender enough to hopefully fend off any serious hip displasia/arthritis issues later in life.

So Sheba indeed had a bit of a rocky start to her life, between many months of multiple painful bouts of Panosteitis, (growing pains) and having zero interest in any type of food under the sun. But at two years of age she's now doing fantastic, is eating well on her own, and appears to finally be finished growing, so no more crippling Pano flare-ups to deal with. Now it's all about just having a great, fun, happy life, with tons of love, playing, long walks by the ocean, leaping headfirst into snow drifts in the wintertime, playing with the largest collection of dog toys you've ever laid eyes on, spending quality time with her little sister Chrissy, (Shih Tzu) and of course always having lots of serious snuggle time with Mom and Dad on the sofa!

Well let's see... for breakfast Sheba has a cup of cubed/cooked chicken breast (sometimes substituted with turkey breast or lean beef or pork roast) with some boiled peas mixed in, and 3/4 cup of Actrium holistic kibble; about the same thing gle time with Mom and Dad on the sofa!

I imagined you having a regular truck delivery of Sheba-dinners!
re ‘no dog would ever..’: just like any other generalisation *cough*: ‘the exception proves the rule’. ( i wish I knew the Latin - much more gravitas !)

I imagined you having a regular truck delivery of Sheba-dinners!
re ‘no dog would ever..’: just like any other generalisation *cough*: ‘the exception proves the rule’. ( i wish I knew the Latin - much more gravitas !)
This pic better illustrates Sheba's rather unique, "pony-with-giraffe's-legs" proportions! (taken with my wife's antiquated Moto G5 Plus, and unedited except to crop/resize)

Back
Top Bottom