Our Pets: Furred, Feathered or Scaled

9FE4BF06-2D7B-442D-87F1-02797FAAA1A9.jpeg

A recently-rescued dog with her person in my room.
Her trust develops counter-clockwise. In the blurred image, she’s too big for the chair (that leg/ paw hanging over the chair ! :inlove: :lol: ) but too bad, she’s gone to the trouble of climbing up on to her person’s lap and she’s staying! Then it‘s safe enough to move to a more comfortable chair, long as she’s keeping a close eye on me. Then I’ve obviously passed the doggie-trust test, bcs she can relax her vigilance and have a little snooze.

isn’t it? :lmao: That little swish of his tail, and his hackle just a bit fluffed up . . .

My DH is quite a cat whisperer (apparently not unusual in autistic people) and he makes sense of the most minute (to me) shifts in the language of tails. Dogs, too - but cats are his thing. I’ve suggested he compile a kindof glossy coffee table atlas/book. He points out (and now he says it, it makes sense) that most non-autistic people wouldn’t be interested in that much detail, and most autistic people would be able to work it out for themselves.
I think he should write it anyway.:thumbs:

this my dog who died last September. Still missed! Little Reggie was always ready for a hike and even more ready for lunch break.

View attachment 155810
Last September? That’s really recent actually - only a few months. Our beloved Benson died just over a year ago and I can hardly talk about him without filling up! Reggie looks like a real character. Is he a fox terrier?

Aww, RIP Reggie, lovely boy. Is he a Lakeland? How long did you have him?

Our Sam Jack Russel x has been gone six years, we have had our beautiful Djanga dog for 2.5 years, and I miss Sam every day. Mostly just *those* memories of how he loved or did this or that, that time when. . . And it’s kindof nice to talk about differences we‘ve noticed as Djanga has grown up (apart from the fact that she is ten times bigger :lmao: )

Sam was a therapy dog and came to work with me just about every day for most of his ten years. So it makes sense to me that six years later I still notice that it’s just me in my room, that we’re not going for a walk every break — and all the other tiny little rituals leave such big holes when they’re gone.

But mainly I think a lot of us daft humans do actually understand something of the gift our puppydog companions give/teach us. That “unconditional love” that we rabbit on about but don’t really understand - all that simple in-the-moment joy and acceptance of their humans in all their imperfections . . .

Cat companions of course are an entirely different story :lmao: . And I have no experience to draw on with fish, guinea pigs, rats, ferrets, birds and others... Though I love having chickens :)
Yes Reggie was a Lakeland... so nice to have his breed recognized by someone, it never is here where I live. He was independent of course... and eccentric. Since both he and my partner were top-notch organizers and meddlers, it was a competition with them to get ready for walks.

thus is my favourite picture of them both.

Last September? That’s really recent actually - only a few months. Our beloved Benson died just over a year ago and I can hardly talk about him without filling up! Reggie looks like a real character. Is he a fox terrier?
A Lakeland terrier. I still fill up if someone says “and how is that little dog of yours” but I’m normally ok to talk About him.

He was 13...and like every Lakeland he was bossy with strong opinions. He hated when I knit, and also if I let the ice cubes in my glass tinkle together. Since he died I‘ve tried to invoke him once or twice by having a drink AND knitting ... so I know he ain’t coming back. :(

Posting that picture has really brought him back so strongly... I’m sad/happy.

A Lakeland terrier. I still fill up if someone says “and how is that little dog of yours” but I’m normally ok to talk About him.

He was 13...and like every Lakeland he was bossy with strong opinions. He hated when I knit, and also if I let the ice cubes in my glass tinkle together. Since he died I‘ve tried to invoke him once or twice by having a drink AND knitting ... so I know he ain’t coming back. :(

Posting that picture has really brought him back so strongly... I’m sad/happy.
Me too for you.:kissingheart:

Yes Reggie was a Lakeland... so nice to have his breed recognized by someone, it never is here where I live. He was independent of course... and eccentric.

’mad as a two-bob watch’ is the (archaic) Au expression :lmao: Did your Reggie do that thing with water and the garden hose? (Though maybe garden hose + water is a dry continent thing). i have looked after a pair of Lakelands a few times, and just fallen in love with them. Absolute fruitloops: very intelligent - and once they have their head around a game, they play it with fierce concentration. And loving without being needy/lapdog-like.

Glad you had such a special puppydog in your life for the time that you did. Although it gets easier with time, I expect you’ll never quite ‘get over’ his absence. He/you deserve nothing less :inlove:

’mad as a two-bob watch’ is the (archaic) Au expression :lmao: Did your Reggie do that thing with water and the garden hose? (Though maybe garden hose + water is a dry continent thing). i have looked after a pair of Lakelands a few times, and just fallen in love with them. Absolute fruitloops: very intelligent - and once they have their head around a game, they play it with fierce concentration. And loving without being needy/lapdog-like.

Glad you had such a special puppydog in your life for the time that you did. Although it gets easier with time, I expect you’ll never quite ‘get over’ his absence. He/you deserve nothing less :inlove:
Thanks so much for sharing your appreciation of this lovely little breed! And he was no lapdog for sure. Always near but never right on top. There’s a little Reggie-sized hole in my heart now.

Cat flap watch update.
Well I had to quit in the end. My set up demanded vigilance to work and I had to do other things, like work, spend time with friends and family, sleep.
We're planning on getting her chipped and getting a cat flap that will let only her come and go.
Now we can hear movement in the attic and think it might be birds. The bit of attic affected isn't accessible from inside the house so I've repurposed the motion detection mobile and hung it under the eaves. I've fashioned a plastic milk bottle to sit over it to keep the rain off.
20200314_151010-01.jpeg

Cat flap watch update.
Well I had to quit in the end. My set up demanded vigilance to work and I had to do other things, like work, spend time with friends and family, sleep.
We're planning on getting her chipped and getting a cat flap that will let only her come and go.
Now we can hear movement in the attic and think it might be birds. The bit of attic affected isn't accessible from inside the house so I've repurposed the motion detection mobile and hung it under the eaves. I've fashioned a plastic milk bottle to sit over it to keep the rain off.
View attachment 156042
Ingenious.

View attachment 156311
Barney was on lockdown on his bed, due a bout of extreme boisterousness about the house. Yogi flouted the social distancing rule in cat/dog solidarity with him. 10 years old and he acts like a puppy, bless him.
Horrible zoom and no edit, but hey its cute.
Well, Barney doesn‘t look chastised. :lol: He looks a bit outraged to me. And I love that he and Yogi sleep together.:inlove:

View attachment 156311
Barney was on lockdown on his bed, due a bout of extreme boisterousness about the house. Yogi flouted the social distancing rule in cat/dog solidarity with him. 10 years old and he acts like a puppy, bless him.

it’s seriously cute. That look! (And I think you’re getting *the* look from Yogi :lmao: )

View attachment 156311
Haahaahaa! Great capture. The dog looks like he let one slip out ;):eek::lol::eek:

I don’t think I’ve shared in this thread before. Which is crazy because I’ve got a lot of furry house mates. Lol

here’s a few pictures from this week. The cats have all decided the craziness of moving was worth it and they much prefer the new house. Probably because they get their own little house in the back yard now!

this is Spike. She’s sitting on the threshold of what she thinks is her castle. The Cat house. She’s kinda feral, and I’m shocked we were able to get her here... and that she didn’t run off. But, she’s even more personable now and is running up to greet us these days. Interesting what happens when you give a cat an old potting shed. Lol
BF306526-21BB-470A-8CB0-993C1DD39EC0.jpeg

this is Neville. The night we moved him to the new house. We didn’t move the cats till day 3, after I was able to get the food and litter all set up. He’s a very cuddly clingy cat and had missed his snuggles. I was trying to write out a shopping list, but he had other ideas. He needed mending from the loneliness. So of course I gave in and loved on him.

8E4DC3D1-98A6-41CB-9D46-698B71F74285.jpeg

more in next post....

Attachments

• 9D9F335C-90A5-48F7-B469-63B28A7FBD92.jpeg
    9D9F335C-90A5-48F7-B469-63B28A7FBD92.jpeg
    279.5 KB · Views: 11
Back
Top Bottom