Photographing shooting stars with an iPhone

Chris / interealtime

The NightCapper...
Developer
Real Name
Chris
Shooting stars: beautiful, but rare and fleeting... basically, a real nightmare to photograph. Something you wouldn't even consider on an iPhone. Let's fix that and make it fun, easy and iPhone compatible :)

For this guide, you'll need eyes, something to lie down on, a tripod + iPhone adaptor, and a copy of the amazing* NightCap Pro app.

* Written by me, and I might be biased ;) But I'm pretty certain it's the best (and probably only!) app that can do this.

The goal is a photo like this (but ideally a lot better):

stars1-1024x768.jpeg

What is that? Those lines forming circles are stars in the sky. That photo was captured over roughly an hour, enough time for the earth to spin through space a bit, and the stars to spin round in the sky. They're forming circles because I pointed the camera north - that star the others are spinning around? That's the Pole Star. And that streak at the top is a shooting star!

I took that one with an iPhone 5S on a pretty standard night, the shooting star was just captured by chance - actually quite a lot of my night photos catch them, because they're not *that* rare after all! During a meteor shower there can be perhaps 20x more of them, that's all.

So, on with the guide!

What is a meteor shower?
Meteor showers happen when a comet (or sometimes an asteroid) crosses the earth’s orbit around the sun. They leave behind a trail of dust and small bits of ice and rock, and each time the earth passes through this trail lots of these bits burn up in our atmosphere. Each time it happens, we see a shooting star.

When to see a meteor shower
Well, now. But there are many meteor showers throughout the year. There’s an easy to follow calendar of meteor showers at moongiant.com (click here).

What to expect
It depends on a few things, but 5-6 meteors per hour is a reasonable minimum to expect, if you’re lucky you’ll see a lot more. Some will be small streaks of light across the sky, a few will be big with flashes of light, and if you’re lucky you’ll see a fireball!

A few things can have an impact on the experience:
  • Clouds will block your view. If it’s really cloudy, you’ll see nothing at all. Wait for a clear sky.
  • The moon! A full moon is really bright, it ruins your night vision and lights up the sky making it hard to see fainter shooting stars. The moongiant meteor shower calendar shows how bright the moon will be.
  • Light pollution limits what you can see. As a rule, the more stars you can see, the more meteors you’ll see too. Search online for your nearest dark sky site!
Watching a meteor shower
First, find a dark area away from bright lights. The darker it is, the more your eyes will open up, the better your night vision will get, and the more meteors you will see. You want somewhere with a clear view of the sky, so an open field or park is good.

Then, lie down on the ground (or on a camping bed, reclining chair etc.), look up, and wait.

Equipment to take
  • Something to lie on (a picnic mat, camping bed, beach towel – whatever suits your location)
  • A tripod with an iPhone or smartphone adaptor
  • The NightCap Pro app
  • If it’s going to be cold, warm clothes (or a sleeping bag) and a hot drink
Taking photos with your iPhone
Capturing shooting stars with an iPhone is easy if you use the NightCapPro app. Once set up, you can simply leave it running while you enjoy the view! Here’s how to do it:
  1. Put your iPhone on a tripod if possible. You can buy a tripod and/or a smartphone to tripod adaptor very cheaply online – it doesn’t have to be professional, a basic model will be fine. You’ll be taking very long exposure photos, so it’s important to keep the phone stable.
  2. Set your iPhone to Airplane mode, and make sure any alarms/reminders are turned off! Incoming messages and alerts can spoil the photo!
  3. Open NightCap Pro, and turn on Night Mode (moon icon). This makes the camera much more sensitive, so it can capture much fainter stars (including the shooting kind). A green light indicates that it’s turned on.
  4. Set the camera mode to “Light Trails” by tapping on the star (camera modes) button, then selecting the stretched, solid star.
  5. You need the camera to focus on the stars. This can be tricky, especially with older iPhone models, as the iPhone camera struggles to focus on stars well. If you have difficulty (zooming in will help check if it’s well focused), try focusing on anything bright on the horizon, such as trees outlined against the glow of street lights. As long as it’s 50 meters/yards away or more, it will work fine.
  6. Once it’s nicely focused, lock focus (tap the Foc/Exp/WB button to open the locks panel, then tap FOC. A green light indicates that focus is locked.
You’re all set up ready now. The rest is easy: point the iPhone at the sky, and tap the shutter button to start capturing. When you want to finish capturing, just tap the shutter button again.

If you leave it to capture for more than a few minutes, you’ll see the stars start to move across the picture as the earth spins around in space after a while it'll look something like this, and you can tap the shutter again to finish taking the photo:

Star-trails-and-shooting-star-2-1024x630.jpeg

That's another one not taken during a meteor shower, but again you can see a characteristic dash of of shooting star in the middle near the top. You can also see other odd things. Here's a quick list of oddities you might encounter, and an explanation:

• Dashed lines (you can see a couple in that photo above). Often straight, sometimes with a bend. It's an aeroplane. The flashing lights on the wings leave that characteristic dashed-line.
  • Smooth, perfectly straight lines. These are usually satellites. Yep, you can photograph satellites with your iPhone too! They always travel in straight lines, and don't have flashing lights so it'll be a smooth line.
  • Dashes that look like shooting stars but aren't. Sometimes you'll see a "double dash". These are satellites, but a special type - this is called an "Iridium Flare". Iridium is the name of the satellites (there are many) I think, and for some reason their solar panels catch the light of the sun and cause a "flash". You can get iPhone apps that predict when you can see one of these!
  • There's a lot more, some of it really strange to see! Iridescent clouds, moon dogs / halos... if you spot something weird, let me know :)
If anyone tries this please post up your results!

Superb job Chris, thanks for sharing this awesome tutorial with your fellow MobiMembers... :notworthy:

One of the challenges for mobile photographers is certainly night photography, even with your awesome NightCap, and catching a falling star is harder still... ;)

It will be great to see the results from any MobiMembers who ever have clear enough skies to make it work... :D

So, the gauntlet is thrown lovely people, let's show Chris what you can do... :rog:

Thanks Ladies! Chris / interealtime what do you think the solid line on the left hand side is and also the faint lines going across??
Oh, this is easy: Mork from Ork on his last trip! RIP Robin. Hope he'll find peace now. :notworthy:
And by the way: they said it might be another night with falling stars tonight. So I might have a chance to follow the tutorial as well. At the moment the sky looks nice. Well, the bit of what I can see. I may have a chance if I don't fall asleep before it's dark enough. :)

Thanks Ladies! Chris / interealtime what do you think the solid line on the left hand side is and also the faint lines going across??

That's a pretty good shot :D I'm wondering about those lines too.

As a rule, you can spot planes quite easily as they have flashing warning lights on them. That means they leave a line, but it usually has a dashed or dotted pattern.

There's also satellites, which leave a long straight smooth line. I saw one last night, they're quite distinctive - they look like a plane going past, but they have a nice steady light, no flashing. The fainter lines *could* be satellites, but it'd be odd to get so many!

There's also a few bits that do look like faint meteors to me :)

Can you post the original (full resolution) photo somewhere? It'd really help to figure out what the various bits are. If you don't have anywhere to put it, email it to me (chris at interealtime.com) and I'll put it on my server.

I find night cap pro great for this, I've captured the iss a number of times and find it great to use, just need you to add a cloud buster to the add to keep clear skies at night! View attachment 56503View attachment 56502

This is sooooo cool! I've tried now and found mor issues with night cap than captures. I did some great shots of the fireworks to this new year but it seems I am too stupid for star shots. But besides some more dark pictures I captured one plane. :) and it is like Chris / interealtime said: a dotted line. See picture (dots at the bottom left to right) :lol:

image.jpg

Chris / interealtime:
What did I do wrong? Besides focussing the night sky (that is not pitch black here in the city) the instructions were so easy to read. But somehow I can't get it sharp. Is there a button like on a "normal" camera with infinity I haven't found? (Would be the easiest way to focus at the stars without touching the screen.)
Should I have done something with the exposure, too? All I saw was grain in different shades, so I switched it off.
Oh, and opposite to the New Years Picts, I put night cap on my 5pod/iOS 7.2. Maybe it works better on the phone?
It crashed several times. First two when I did a shot. Then it worked obviously but then I counted to 30 and stopped the picture and it went with (no) saving.
Why were the pictures turned the wrong way in camRoll?
I put the res to high jpg.
Oh, and how long should I record to get such nice pictures? I tried between 5 and 30 seconds. But none of the images came out half as nice as yours or Mat 's.
I mean your description is so clear. Can it be I missed something? Hope you don't mind me asking - I'm blonde … or was …

Last edited:
I find night cap pro great for this, I've captured the iss a number of times and find it great to use, just need you to add a cloud buster to the add to keep clear skies at night!

Ah, great shots! I need to try this myself some time. Have you tried to capture it when there's a supply ship about to dock? You can see the 2 lines of the ISS and the supply ship if you time it right.

And for anyone who is wondering, 'ISS' = "International Space Station". You can see it pass overhead quite regularly, and it's pretty big and bright! There's a bunch of apps on the store that'll give you a schedule of times when it's visible from your location :)

Chris / interealtime:
What did I do wrong? Besides focussing the night sky (that is not pitch black here in the city) the instructions were so easy to read. But somehow I can't get it sharp. Is there a button like on a "normal" camera with infinity I haven't found? (Would be the easiest way to focus at the stars without touching the screen.)

It's hard to tell what's wrong there without seeing the EXIF (camera data) on the photo, which unfortunately the forum seems to have removed. But it looks very dark - was this with your 5S? If so, I'd guess that you didn't turn on Night Mode (the moon button - the light under it will turn green when it's on).

When night mode is on, the camera is 'fully open', so you'll get a much brighter picture. It also means it's very easy to blur the shot if you move the camera slightly, so you want that turned off if you're doing a hand held photo :)

Focusing on stars is quite hard. The iPhone looks for "sharp details" when it's focusing. The problem is, when stars are out of focus they form nice circles (what's called "bokeh" in camera terms). The circles have sharp edges, so the phone things it's got a nice crisply focused shot when it's really out of focus!

The solution is to focus on something other than stars. Anything reasonably far away will work fine - I usually use nearby trees or buildings that are either lit up or silhouetted against the sky. Once it's focused, lock the focus quick!

Should I have done something with the exposure, too? All I saw was grain in different shades, so I switched it off.

You don't need to do anything at all with the exposure. Make sure "Manual exposure" is turned off in the settings, and don't bother to lock exposure, it should take care of itself.

Oh, and opposite to the New Years Picts, I put night cap on my 5pod/iOS 7.2. Maybe it works better on the phone?
It crashed several times. First two when I did a shot. Then it worked obviously but then I counted to 30 and stopped the picture and it went with (no) saving.

I suspect this is the same issue that the app has on the iPhone 4S. It runs out of memory, causing it to close. Unfortunately it's an issue in iOS that I can't avoid, but I've been working with Apple on this and the good news is that it looks like it'll be fixed in iOS 8 :)

In the meantime, restarting your phone / iPod before using the app will help a lot.

That normally means you've got rotation lock turned on. It prevents the interface from rotating (which is great if e.g. you're reading a book while lying on your side!) but it also prevents the app from rotating the photo correctly. You can turn rotation lock off by swiping up from the bottom to open the control centre, then tapping the button with the padlock with a circular arrow round it.

Oh, and how long should I record to get such nice pictures? I tried between 5 and 30 seconds. But none of the images came out half as nice as yours or Mat 's.
I mean your description is so clear. Can it be I missed something? Hope you don't mind me asking - I'm blonde … or was …

The photos I posted above were roughly 1 hour :D 5-30 seconds should get you a nice picture of some stars, but to get the lines it has to be long enough for the stars to move across the sky. You can see the lines start to form after a few minutes, and the longer you leave it, the longer the lines get.

If you want to catch a shooting star, then basically the longer you leave it, the better your chances are. You'd have to be very lucky to get one in 30 seconds!

Thanks for talking the time for analysis and tips! :notworthy:

It's hard to tell what's wrong there without seeing the EXIF (camera data) on the photo, which unfortunately the forum seems to have removed. But it looks very dark - was this with your 5S? If so, I'd guess that you didn't turn on Night Mode (the moon button - the light under it will turn green when it's on). When night mode is on, the camera is 'fully open', so you'll get a much brighter picture. It also means it's very easy to blur the shot if you move the camera slightly, so you want that turned off if you're doing a hand held photo :)
5Pod and NightMode has been turned on. :) I'm stupid but not completely insane. :lol: And it was attached to my gorilla pod tripod. :)
And I've tried both: the short tailed star and the long tailed star button. And all showed the green dot so must have been "on". :)
Only thing I forgot to mention was I've tried the "sun" button, too (mixed it up with the exposure on my first question), but tht was just more grain in kind of rainbow colours ... Maybe I should have left it on?

Focusing on stars is quite hard. The iPhone looks for "sharp details" when it's focusing. The problem is, when stars are out of focus they form nice circles (what's called "bokeh" in camera terms). The circles have sharp edges, so the phone things it's got a nice crisply focused shot when it's really out of focus!
That's why I asked if it is possible to add a button for infinity that the phone knows it doesn't have to fokus at all just turn to the farthest point it can and the problem is solved. A kind of fix focus to/for infinity, means everything further away than ... no idea - 1 km?/mile?/30 meters??? must be sharp and crisp like back in the old times with our not even DSLR, just camera, film and the little seeker window. Everything else had to be done manually without really seeing it, just geussing. :D :lol:
Would that be possible at all? You could call it either the Nerd button or the grandma button (means easy to use just press the button :))

The solution is to focus on something other than stars. Anything reasonably far away will work fine - I usually use nearby trees or buildings that are either lit up or silhouetted against the sky. Once it's focused, lock the focus quick!
:) All I've seen you can see in the attached picture above. There were some trees and buildings (shaded sillhouettes if you bighten up the picture) and some clouds. Buildings and tree approx 5 to 10 meters away, clouds would have been perfect but not bright enough to make them visible for the 5Pod focus. But I have to say the plane flashlights look quite sharp, do they?

You don't need to do anything at all with the exposure. Make sure "Manual exposure" is turned off in the settings, and don't bother to lock exposure, it should take care of itself.
Okay, will remind that. :)

I suspect this is the same issue that the app has on the iPhone 4S. It runs out of memory, causing it to close. Unfortunately it's an issue in iOS that I can't avoid, but I've been working with Apple on this and the good news is that it looks like it'll be fixed in iOS 8 :)
In the meantime, restarting your phone / iPod before using the app will help a lot.
It worked then without restart and things. All I've done was completely closing the app and restart it again. The third time it worked. :)

That normally means you've got rotation lock turned on. It prevents the interface from rotating (which is great if e.g. you're reading a book while lying on your side!) but it also prevents the app from rotating the photo correctly. You can turn rotation lock off by swiping up from the bottom to open the control centre, then tapping the button with the padlock with a circular arrow round it.
No haven't. And the app did it's thing in fully landscape. It was just when saved to cameraRoll. And funny enough not all of them! One was upside down (if I can really see it right) the plane and another one were turned to portrait though the images were taken in landscape. But a Pod is also only human. Same devices but each one develops a kind of own will. At least with all my Apples (from phone to MAC) it is that way. :) Maybe it had just a bad day. :)

The photos I posted above were roughly 1 hour :D 5-30 seconds should get you a nice picture of some stars, but to get the lines it has to be long enough for the stars to move across the sky. You can see the lines start to form after a few minutes, and the longer you leave it, the longer the lines get.
One hour!? Wow! Thing is I wanted to have some tries first to see if I can see more on the picture when it is safed. But didn't. THough the plane picture I took with approx 5 seconds, but it was the first and only that there was something visible. When I leave it for an hour will the sky brighten as well? I mean longer means more light -> brighter?
That would mean in the end I did allright but only being too impatient?

If you want to catch a shooting star, then basically the longer you leave it, the better your chances are. You'd have to be very lucky to get one in 30 seconds!
Well it happens within one! :D But I'd be happy to see just the stars. Think I'll have to try again.
Thank you very much for you advice. :notworthy::thumbs: And forgive me when I'll come back to this when I've tried more. :)

Thanks for talking the time for analysis and tips! :notworthy:

5Pod and NightMode has been turned on. :) I'm stupid but not completely insane. :lol: And it was attached to my gorilla pod tripod. :)

Aaaah. Try with your iPhone ;) I suspect the iPod camera is a *much* lower end bit of kit - probably equivalent to an iPhone 4 camera. Which wasn't very good compared to the 4S camera... which wasn't very good compared to the 5.. which was nowhere near as good as the 5S. You can imagine how big the difference is between the iPod and the 5S!

It's probably just not sensitive enough to see the faint light of stars.

And I've tried both: the short tailed star and the long tailed star button. And all showed the green dot so must have been "on". :)

The short tailed star isn't suitable for this. It's very good for getting rid of grain in low light shots, or making moving things blur across the screen, but it's no good for shooting stars. (However, if you want to photograph just stars, turn that on, and leave it capturing for around 15 seconds for a nice clean shot!)

For shooting stars you want the long solid tailed star.

Only thing I forgot to mention was I've tried the "sun" button, too (mixed it up with the exposure on my first question), but tht was just more grain in kind of rainbow colours ... Maybe I should have left it on?

That's the light booster. It boosts the image brightness. It's not that helpful for shooting stars, but might help - try it. It will also boost the noise levels though. What you can try is a regular star shot as I described above, but turn on the light booster and you'll see more stars. The long exposure mode will help reduce the noise a lot.

That's why I asked if it is possible to add a button for infinity that the phone knows it doesn't have to fokus at all just turn to the farthest point it can and the problem is solved. A kind of fix focus to/for infinity, means everything further away than ... no idea - 1 km?/mile?/30 meters??? must be sharp and crisp like back in the old times with our not even DSLR, just camera, film and the little seeker window. Everything else had to be done manually without really seeing it, just geussing. :D :lol:
Would that be possible at all? You could call it either the Nerd button or the grandma button (means easy to use just press the button :))

Sorry, forgot to reply to that bit! It's not possible on the iPhone yet. (Notice the 'yet' - that might change quite soon ;)) And it's "more than 50m away" I believe on the iPhone, possibly less.

No haven't. And the app did it's thing in fully landscape. It was just when saved to cameraRoll. And funny enough not all of them! One was upside down (if I can really see it right) the plane and another one were turned to portrait though the images were taken in landscape. But a Pod is also only human. Same devices but each one develops a kind of own will. At least with all my Apples (from phone to MAC) it is that way. :) Maybe it had just a bad day. :)

Hmm.. that's odd then. Well, I've completely re-written a lot of this (including the photo rotation) for the next update, hopefully it'll "just work" when that comes out.

One hour!? Wow! Thing is I wanted to have some tries first to see if I can see more on the picture when it is safed. But didn't. THough the plane picture I took with approx 5 seconds, but it was the first and only that there was something visible. When I leave it for an hour will the sky brighten as well? I mean longer means more light -> brighter?
That would mean in the end I did allright but only being too impatient?

No, longer won't make it any brighter. I suspect the plane was just the only thing bright enough for the iPod. As I said, try with your iPhone :) 5 seconds is plenty for a test shot. By the way, don't take a test shot to check the focus is good - if you do, it stops the camera when it opens the photo album, which will reset the focus! You can test it by zooming in on a star. The preview is full resolution so if it looks reasonably sharp when zoomed in, you're all good.

1) Aaaah. Try with your iPhone ;) ...

2) The short tailed star isn't suitable for this. ...

3) That's the light booster. ...

4) Sorry, forgot to reply to that bit! It's not possible on the iPhone yet. (Notice the 'yet' - that might change quite soon ;)) And it's "more than 50m away" I believe on the iPhone, possibly less.

5) Hmm.. that's odd then. Well, I've completely re-written a lot of this (including the photo rotation) for the next update, hopefully it'll "just work" when that comes out.

6) No, longer won't make it any brighter. ...

1) Will! Lately weekend
2) okay! Memorised
3) Ahhhaaa! Will keep that in mind and see how to use it best.
4) Noticed the "yet" before you mentioned it. And probably the only reason to look forward to ios8 though I am not really keen on it. I think it's too early. ios7 (for my taste) doesn't work as good as ios6 did in the end and they boost to the next step without leaving a proper 7 behind. That's why I am stuck to my ios6-devices as long as I can. :)
5) let me see what the phone comes up with
6) Will let you know what will come out with 5S. I am eager to spot the difference. :)
7) (not mentioned above) THNAK YOU again!!! :notworthy::thumbs::inlove:

Lee's sent me the photo, so if anyone's interested in the high res version here it is: http://www.nightcapcamera.com/misc/leelad73.jpeg

So, what's in there? The thick white line going up and right at the top left is probably a plane, at a guess? Normally they leave a dotted line, but there are exceptions (e.g. sometimes helicopters have a light underneath). On the other hand, there's a fainter line parallel to it that fades out. Hmm.. not sure!

The other long streaks I'd guess are planes flying at high altitude. If they're very high up, they move much more slowly across the sky and the flashing is hard to spot.

Other bits on there? Will there's a short dash just right and down from the middle of the shot that could well be a meteor, and if you crank the brightness up there's a fainter dash that's likely to be one. I've highlighted them both:

leelad73-edit.jpg

This is sooooo cool! I've tried now and found mor issues with night cap than captures. I did some great shots of the fireworks to this new year but it seems I am too stupid for star shots. But besides some more dark pictures I captured one plane. :) and it is like Chris / interealtime said: a dotted line. See picture (dots at the bottom left to right) :lol:

View attachment 56505

Chris / interealtime:
I put the res to high jpg.
I mean your description is so clear. Can it be I missed something? Hope you don'tind me asking - I'm blonde … or was …
I've had problems with apps crashing but rant app related, at first I did blame the app and got on to the developer , after advice I found most crashes are caused by memory . Have you tried a hard reset, close all apps , hold the
Ah, great shots! I need to try this myself some time. Have you tried to capture it when there's a supply ship about to dock? You can see the 2 lines of the ISS and the supply ship if you time it right.

And for anyone who is wondering, 'ISS' = "International Space Station". You can see it pass overhead quite regularly, and it's pretty big and bright! There's a bunch of apps on the store that'll give you a schedule of times when it's visible from your location :)
yes the second short line is the supply ship, I knew it was comming ten mins behind the iss, so just left the shutter open, the second shot must of been exposed for about an hour or so,I still think it's great to get pics like this on an I phone !

I bought a small tripod from eBay which I find invaluable for this kind of pic.

I did also have a few crashes that I got told was due to memory, a hard reset fixes that! Press both buttons for 6-8 secs, it will go off and come back on again shortly after.

yes the second short line is the supply ship, I knew it was comming ten mins behind the iss, so just left the shutter open, the second shot must of been exposed for about an hour or so,I still think it's great to get pics like this on an I phone !

Oh, was this recently? I know the ISS was actually passing over on the 11th, and looking at Lee's photo it does match your shot pretty well! Would be great if he'd caught the ISS and a supply ship on the first attempt :D

I did also have a few crashes that I got told was due to memory, a hard reset fixes that! Press both buttons for 6-8 secs, it will go off and come back on again shortly after.

It's unlikely to be a memory issue on newer phones (the 4S only has 512MB, newer phones have 1024 so there's a lot more available). Weird things do sometimes happen in iPhones though, so if you're seeing any crashes or odd issues give it a reboot.

By the way, correct way to restart it: hold down the top (sleep/wake) button until it says "slide to power off". Do so, wait for it to turn off. Then hold down the top button again to turn it on. That lets it shut down properly. It shouldn't make much difference really, but it lets all the apps and services shut down cleanly instead of being killed and expected to recover when it turns back on.

By the way, correct way to restart it: hold down the top (sleep/wake) button until it says "slide to power off". Do so, wait for it to turn off. Then hold down the top button again to turn it on. That lets it shut down properly. It shouldn't make much difference really, but it lets all the apps and services shut down cleanly instead of being killed and expected to recover when it turns back on.

That's very helpful. I always wondered why all the apps are open whne I restarted. Will try that way next time and see if I get a device with everything's closed. Thanks! :thumbs:

That's very helpful. I always wondered why all the apps are open whne I restarted. Will try that way next time and see if I get a device with everything's closed. Thanks! :thumbs:

Oh, you can't actually tell which apps are "open" on an iPhone (in fact the whole concept of "open" apps is pretty meaningless - it doesn't work anything like a normal computer). That thing where you double-press the home button, that's a list of *recent* apps. Some of them *might* be open, but most of them won't be. After restarting it still keeps your list of recent apps, but none of them are open :)

All that really happens is if an app needs more memory and there's not enough free, the system closes an app you haven't used for a while. It's all automatic, you don't need to do anything, and"closing" apps yourself doesn't help (it actually slows things down and wastes battery!).

Rebooting helps because some parts of iOS use more memory over time. You can't do anything about that except for restarting, which gives it all a nice fresh start.

Back
Top Bottom